Vash

97 Contour Se + Trailer

I am starting a new thread to cover all 3 of my Contours. Plans have changed, and after a brief description it should be clear why all 3 are going to be in one thread.

IMAG1853.jpg

Left me at work with a blown headgasket last night. It is getting parted out, many good parts are to be used on my 97 SE. The 97 SE is currently sitting in the driveway with electrical issues that prevent it from starting, the 98 does not have any electrical issues, but the electrical system is different. The plan is to strip every wire from each car, and install all wires from the 98 into the 97. I will also be swapping over the y-pipe, front rotors, dash (because of harness integration,) lock set, steering column, tires, fuel tank (again because of wiring differences,) and a few smaller things. It is going to be a HUGE project, but after swapping over the engine and putting in a brand new clutch it will be worth the effort, plus it gives me a great oportunity to go over the entire car for rust (it has almost none, but I want to make sure it stays that way.)

Anyway that explains those two cars, the 3rd car is another 98 that I have stripped, sold some parts from and used many others. This car only had 50k miles on it but had no title... This one will be cut in half and turned into an exact match trailer for my 97, I have already swapped over nearly all parts needed on the rear of the car to make it into a 97 match. Only need to remove the windshield yet before it is cut in half. I will post a few pics and then explain a few more plans for the 97.

IMAG1849.jpg

As of about 3 days ago

IMAG1852.jpg

As of tonight everything is out but the glass.

IMAG1837.jpg

Washed the 97 for the first time a couple weeks ago, shined up way better than expected. Has typical Contour micro-cracking in the paint though...

This should be a fun project, and very unique when finished. I have a full SVT cat-back exhaust, Cougar ZN Black leather and center console all waiting to go in. Lots of work to go before it is where I want it to be at. Going to use this as a build thread so stay tuned!

Looks like you have a ton of work ahead of you. I'm going to follow this thread and look forward to seeing this contour and its matching trailer! cool.gif

It's a huge project for sure. Been there, shared the blood. Watch for wiring changes on the engine as well.

Only differences are one less wire for the alternator, and the fuel injector plugs need to be turned 180 degrees to clip in place.

Only differences are one less wire for the alternator, and the fuel injector plugs need to be turned 180 degrees to clip in place.

Alt wires.

Ford uses different reg for different usages on the same alt.

Pic is example for the Alt used on DOHC and most V-8's with different color for the use.

The 2 wire, (black) has 3 posts but only uses the outer 2.

the reg color matches the car's wiring type and PCM.

Just in case this helps.

-chart-

The alt. between the 98 and 97 are exactly identical. The only difference is that the 97 uses one more wire on the positive terminal. I have swapped out a coupke of these harnesses now, so I know exactly what I will be looking for between the two.

The alt. between the 98 and 97 are exactly identical. The only difference is that the 97 uses one more wire on the positive terminal. I have swapped out a coupke of these harnesses now, so I know exactly what I will be looking for between the two.

OK you have the style alt with the aluminum back. They must be reliable since the JY is full of them.

I have 3 cars with the 130A with the sheet metal back. (118K and 96K miles)

JY is void of usable ones. That alone tells a story.

My one ~50K already has recon on it. $530 + night in a motel.:angry:

I got a good one by watching the new arrivals on the web and found a '98 Lin Cont. Went to check as I know it must not be original.

Surprise, fresh recon on that old beast. I got it. Got a spare now.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

From my experience more alternators on these Contours are replaced due to a bearing failure than due to an electrical failer. Either way I have one good spare and I believe 2 spare rebuildable ones.

ok chris, what exactly is going on with the 97 se with elec probs? no power to pcm? on any of the wires? or are you just swapping over the entire harness??

Swapping over entire harness. The power locks don't work on the black car, wiring under the dash is hacked up because of that tracking device, plus the pcm wiring issue, and all the wires under the hood are cracked. I really just want to swap it all over and be done with it.

At some point, one must cut losses and start with known good parts.

Based on description, I concur with swapping the entire harness.

IMAG1861.jpg

Made some cuts tonight, both A-pillars and the driver side floor/rocker/frame rail. One more cut tomorrow and it will be in 2 pieces!

IMAG1865.jpg

It's cut in half now!

IMAG1866.jpg

Tear down on the green far has begun too. Already sold the headlights, rims, and a few other random parts from it.

IMAG1992.jpg

IMAG1993.jpg

IMAG1998.jpg

IMAG2004.jpg

IMAG2003.jpg

IMAG2009.jpg

I have been very busy!

Also spotted this last week, not the only one crazy enough to cut up a contour.

IMAG2005.jpg

Got all the old seats pulled out of it the other day, just waiting to get some of my other projects done and for some warmer weather to keep going on this project.