Jeff

September 2012 Cotm Entry

Well, it's been a long road and I figured that I would finally enter the old 92 sable in a COTM contest. It's miles from where it started, but still not totally finished. The car is pretty much stock and the following things have been done:

1992 Sable GS 3.0 Vulcan, 263K miles(I believe, but may actually be 163K...not too sure) All the things addressed were either needed or I just replaced it "just because"

Suspension/Steering:

-New struts and mounts all around

-New control arms w/ball joints

-New Moog sway bar links all around

-NewTRW inner and Moog outer tie rods

-New power steering rack and pinion

-New power steering pump, pressure, and return lines

-New front wheel bearings

Brakes/Tires:

-New rear wheel cylinders

-New Cadmium plated calipers w/metal pistons

-New brake hoses all around

-New Goodyear tires all around

-Upgrade to Sable LTS wheels(not installed as of yet)

Engine:

-Full tune up using Denso platinum twin tip spark plugs

-New TFI module

-New Spark plug wires, premium cap and rotor with brass inserts

-Rebuilt top end using new heads

-New timing chain/components

-New Hoses all around

-New alternator

-New belt tensioner assembly

-New air temp sensor

-New NTK Oxygen sensors

-New idle air control valve

-New NOS EGR tube

-New EGR valve

-Replace all vacuum lines

-New fuel pressure regulator

-New emissions lines

-New vapor canister solenoid

-New vapor canister

-Replaced all engine mounts

Transmission:

-Fully serviced w/new fluid and filter

-New CV axles on both sides

Cooling system:

-New radiator

-New waterpump

-New cooling fan assembly

-Repaired broken pigtail for cooling fan assembly

-New Motorcraft thermostat

Interior:

-Full interior panel redye to similar shade of blue

-Upgraded all speakers to Pioneer

-Upgraded radio to Pioneer AM/FM/CD/USB

Body:

-Replaced all damaged body panels with either new or grade A used rust free OEM parts(f&r bumper covers, rf fender, rf door, hood)

-Repainted entire car original code YN Silver metallic

-Deleted the red stripe and accent in favor of body color accent and blue stripe

-Installed brand new headlight assemblies including center light bar grille

-Installed new exterior door mirrors to replace the fogged original mirrors.

-Replaced one broken taillight with a good used part

-Installed brand new windshield

I'm probably forgetting part of the stuff I've done...it's a lot to remember. and y'all are probably tired of reading. Here are some pics I got today after I was done buffing it up to as good as it'll ever get outta me LOL I'm supposed to have the LTS wheels installed on Friday if everything goes right....the old ones really detract from the look of the entire car.

402844_908395341994_193808141_n.jpg

603271_908400641374_809725025_n.jpg

560412_908401574504_2048382841_n.jpg

399056_908401095464_146955033_n.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at my entry and read the book I typed above! :)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 2

She looks like a brand new car now! You deserve to win with all the work put in to your Sable, Jeff.

• Like 1

I don't see it that way. Every one of our cars deserve the spotlight all on their own different merits. I don't want to win because I've dumped tons of money into a car that I'll have to be buried in when I die. LOL I just figured I would enter it just because I didn't think it or I would ever see the day when it would be something to be decently proud of. I've nearly given up on this car soooo many times. You guys don't even know the extent of it....basically I kept throwing money at it because I was already too far in to quit. Plus, people told me I was dumb to do it or that I would give up. The car looks good yes, but everyone else's cars do too! I'll be happy if it gets an honorable mention OR maybe even it's own "a guy was dumb enough to spend THAT much money on a 92 Sable" thread LOL Thank you though for your kind words and compliment. I'm actually envious of your wagon. You've managed to turn a grocery/family hauler into something that looks like it could eat your breakfast and be ready for more, but in a very classy way. It's done very tastefully. I'll just be happy to let people see my car and to preserve it for some day when gen 2 cars are pretty scarce.

Jeff

Let me be honest here, Jeff. That thing, pictured right up at the top of this thread, is the finest Mercury Sable that I have ever laid eyes on cool.gif You deserve to win COTM for the comprehensive restoration that she (unsure.gif um, is that a she?) has undergone, and don't you doubt that for a second. I am really looking forward to this month's vote... wink.gif I would be glad to vote for a 20 year-old Sable that rivals the beauty of other cars that were only manufactured weeks ago.

Let me be honest here, Jeff. That thing, pictured right up at the top of this thread, is the finest Mercury Sable that I have ever laid eyes on cool.gif You deserve to win COTM for the comprehensive restoration that she (unsure.gif um, is that a she?) has undergone, don't you doubt that for a second. I am really looking forward to this month's vote... wink.gif I would be glad to vote for a 20 year-old Sable that rivals the beauty of other cars that were only manufactured weeks ago.

Exactly right.

• Like 1

I'll vote for the Sable!

Thanks everyone. Brian I'm not sure...I guess it's a she, but long ago I named it "Ghetto Sable", but I feel kinda bad calling it that now so I gotta figure out a more fitting name....

Jeff

Thanks everyone. Brian I'm not sure...I guess it's a she, but long ago I named it "Ghetto Sable", but I feel kinda bad calling it that now so I gotta figure out a more fitting name....

Jeff

Caroline.

Good luck in COTM, bud! That thing is mega worthy.

Nicest 92 Sable I have yet to see! Always will be a fan of the Gen2 design! Just one request...more interior pics smile.gif

Edited by tRus03

I'll admit that I haven't cleaned up the body shop dust out of the interior yet. I'll do my best to get that done Friday and I'll update this post with interior shots and likely a few of it wearing it's new shoes...

Jeff

As I walk the junk yard, I see tons of these Gen 2s, many with low miles, getting lined up to be crushed, and it is a shame.

I am glad that there is someone crazy like you (in a good way! lol) to restore a car that may have ended up with that same fate in the junk yard. We will always see Mustangs, Corvettes and other commodity cars of these years on the road, but how often will we see the cars that were the normal everyday 'grocery getters?' I enjoy the fact that you are taking a family sedan that used to be absolutely everywhere, and are taking the time to give it the attention it deserves. I thoroughly enjoy seeing an everyday car which has been pampered and looks like it did the day it first sat at the Ford dealership. The car is as old as I am, and what you are doing is something I aspire to do in the future as well when done with school and loans! But you demonstrate the whole reason we are here and why this club exists. We enjoy the fact that we can take such a normal car and do our own unique thing to it, making it our own. The pride we take in our unique normal everyday cars is substantial, and some people don't understand it! You are right to be proud of your progress, and the fact that you saw it through speaks volumes as well.

Good luck this month, and a fine Sable you've got there. Definitely enjoyed the transformation thus far, and enjoy seeing what else you will have planned.

Edited by TaurusDailyDriver
  • Like 2

1346902036[/url]' post='53557']

As I walk the junk yard, I see tons of these Gen 2s, many with low miles, getting lined up to be crushed, and it is a shame.

I am glad that there is someone crazy like you (in a good way! lol) to restore a car that may have ended up with that same fate in the junk yard. We will always see Mustangs, Corvettes and other commodity cars of these years on the road, but how often will we see the cars that were the normal everyday 'grocery getters?' I enjoy the fact that you are taking a family sedan that used to be absolutely everywhere, and are taking the time to give it the attention it deserves. I thoroughly enjoy seeing an everyday car which has been pampered and looks like it did the day it first sat at the Ford dealership. The car is as old as I am, and what you are doing is something I aspire to do in the future as well when done with school and loans! But you demonstrate the whole reason we are here and why this club exists. We enjoy the fact that we can take such a normal car and do our own unique thing to it, making it our own. The pride we take in our unique normal everyday cars is substantial, and some people don't understand it! You are right to be proud of your progress, and the fact that you saw it through speaks volumes as well.

Good luck this month, and a fine Sable you've got there. Definitely enjoyed the transformation thus far, and enjoy seeing what else you will have planned.

/thread. cool.gif This, in a nutshell, is why we belong to tsoc.png.

I am also waiting anxiously to see those interior and LTS wheel pictures of your Sable when you have the chance to post them, Jeff. smile.gif

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Whoa!!!!

Got my vote... GEN2 FTMFW!!!!!!!

(Sally hopes ya win too!) lol

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

Just wanted to update y'all. I should have some pictures for you tomorrow evening. It has stormed here all day and I didn't even go get the car today or worry about going. Tomorrow's high will be in the upper 70's and sunny so it'll be perfect detailing weather. Plus, I need to change the oil in my daily driver. Thanks everyone for the kind words. I know I'm crazy(not the dangerous kind though)...lol I'll update as soon as I can with more pics.

Jeff

A few days late...sorry guys. My week got super busy....anyways. The interior still needs to have the carpet removed and power washed/shampooed. The seats also need gone over, but aren't too bad..I think what few stains there are will shampoo out. All the door panels and dash are good to go(wish I could find a good dash that the top isn't cracked on, but I've made due with making this one presentable "as-is". If'n I ever find a nice one I'm going to snag it...even if I have to paint it to match what i've already got. I never made it to the tire store, but anyhow...here's the interior shots. All I did was wipe down the dash and door panels....interior needs some attention, but it's not too bad. I've seen way way worse in my time working in auto shops. I'll eventually get to it....lol

557348_911638417844_1973854600_n.jpg

223875_911637918844_244167026_n.jpg

316759_911638777124_1137268732_n.jpg

264013_911638512654_371471780_n.jpg

262327_911637978724_991320652_n.jpg

255541_911638163354_370305229_n.jpg

548258_911638682314_1099174145_n.jpg

She still looks damn good inside for a 20 year old family sedan B)

You did a great job restoring the dash and door panels! Like Rusty said, it looks damn good for its age! thumb.gif

blink.gif

*Standing ovation*

cool.gif

Where da wheelz!?

I knew somebody would ask about them. Truth is, I've put it off a few times now. Every time I'd get ready to have them put on something would come up and I (truthfully the better half) would need that fifty dollars for something else. Don't worry I'll have them on sometime soon....I kind of feel bad for not having it done yet. I also still need to put in that clock spring to get rid of the airbag light(I'm going to do that myself) I've also got to get it winterized and all ready for storage. I'm not going to be driving it at all over the winter most likely so I may "try" and fit it inside my dad's big shop building that he keeps his construction supplies in....if I can find a big enough spot that is out of the way anyway and that's probably doubtful lol. May have to buy one of those enclosed car ports for it if I can't. I need to also update my resto thread with all the new stuff too. I promise I'll get it done! I almost bought a 90 Taurus GL the other day..it was in beautiful shape compared to how this one was when I got it, but my better half reminded me that I wasn't done with the one I had yet. LOL sooo it was a no go on that one.