Bull Geek

Dohc Power Steering Pump Replacement

Ok in the kit from the store, I received the illfitting teflon square o-ring which doesn't fit. Thanks O'Reilly for the shower of ATF.

I also received a black rubber round o-ring in the same plastic package. It looks like it fits in the pressure line receiving end of the pump. Does it seat inside there? my old pump I kind of launched across the garage in frustration so if there was one in there, it popped out.

Any ideas? The Ford shop manual says...nothing. Just mentions the teflon o-ring.

Nobody knows? :(

I am going to guess it probably goes on the end of the line. It has been a while since I saw that fitting taken apart though so I could be wrong. Got a pic?

Ok in the kit from the store, I received the illfitting teflon square o-ring which doesn't fit. Thanks O'Reilly for the shower of ATF.

I also received a black rubber round o-ring in the same plastic package. It looks like it fits in the pressure line receiving end of the pump. Does it seat inside there? my old pump I kind of launched across the garage in frustration so if there was one in there, it popped out.

Any ideas? The Ford shop manual says...nothing. Just mentions the teflon o-ring.

Bill

I looked at my spare pump. I took this from a Pick a Part JY expecting to use it as mine had leaking shaft seal. The JY one had a cracked pulley.

So I decided, that, if I was going to remove a pulley, might as well just do the shaft seal and keep my pump.

SoI have a spare, with the high pressure fitting as I cut the line to get the pump at the JY.

I took a pic of the fitting that was on my JY pump and attached. It was O-ring rubber as seen.

The one on my '01 that came off was teflon and square, and I replaced it with the same type. RockAuto. Two sizes in one bag and I got it same time as I got my shaft seal.

Now this: RockAuto shows the square ring, and AllData shows the square type ring.

So, it appears that it is possible to use a round O-ring as that was on a '03 Sable and was working OK. I checked for signs of leaks before I took the pump off at the JY.

See pic from RockAuto, the smaller of the two rings works.

Hope this helps.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

Heh, Chart got a picture before I could.

Interesting, so it looks like Ford made some kind of change at some point from using the teflon square o ring to a round o ring instead. Tomorrow I will try the smaller teflon o-ring and see if that fixes the issue. I found my fluid extractor in a box yesterday, so sucking out the old bubbly fluid should be no problem. If that doesn't work, on goes the round o-ring.

Again, thank you chart for your help and assistance. Much appreciated!

-Nick

Well there were 2 bags in the box. 1 bag had the o rings for the return line going into the pump. The other bag had the o-ring and the teflon square o ring.

I reinstalled everything tonight.

Put the new o-rings on the return line inlet to the pump.

I put the smaller of the 2 teflon o-rings from Ford and it fit perfectly on the thread of the pressure line. Cranked the nut down to proper'ish torque. Fired it up. Nice and quiet, not much bubbling at all! But there's a light drips all under the hood. Because the tensioner is now red, dripping onto the belt that is flinging it under the hood. Fluid is leaking out from the pressure line. whine.gif The seal looks good, but looks like fluid is coming out from b/t the nut and the line. Am not sure, I need a mirror and a light.

Make the power steering nightmare end please. Will report in tomorrow once I acquire a light and a mirror.

-Nick

Well there were 2 bags in the box. 1 bag had the o rings for the return line going into the pump. The other bag had the o-ring and the teflon square o ring.

I reinstalled everything tonight.

Put the new o-rings on the return line inlet to the pump.

I put the smaller of the 2 teflon o-rings from Ford and it fit perfectly on the thread of the pressure line. Cranked the nut down to proper'ish torque. Fired it up. Nice and quiet, not much bubbling at all! But there's a light drips all under the hood. Because the tensioner is now red, dripping onto the belt that is flinging it under the hood. Fluid is leaking out from the pressure line. whine.gif The seal looks good, but looks like fluid is coming out from b/t the nut and the line. Am not sure, I need a mirror and a light.

Make the power steering nightmare end please. Will report in tomorrow once I acquire a light and a mirror.

-Nick

The nut is 0-ringed to the line so the nut can be tightened and for some flex. Permanent. If it leaks, then you need a new line.

Hard to tell which is leaking, the nut to the pump, or the nut to the line.

Good luck.

-chart-

The nut is 0-ringed to the line so the nut can be tightened and for some flex. Permanent. If it leaks, then you need a new line.

Hard to tell which is leaking, the nut to the pump, or the nut to the line.

Good luck.

-chart-

+1 on the line. How much resistance did you feel when turning the nut? It should be pretty stiff. If not, the o-ring inside the nut is worn out, and with a line that runs as much as 3000 PSI, it will go somewhere.

Wow. Now that I did not know. There's an o-ring inside the nut? No kidding. How did you guys find this information out?

I have learned my lesson on forcing things apart. The first time I tried to break the nut loose with the incorrect tools I was being a bit "violent" with the pump. Lesson learned...to the tune of $200-250 for a new power steering line from Ford.

Again, whine.gif

I am thankful to have a job, so i can afford to do these repairs, but sheesh.

I can turn the nut by hand to thread it into the pump quite a few turns, if I jostle the pump a bit as I thread it in. There is some resistance but not a whole lot.

I bought the dental kit from the store this evening ($9!) so I will check it out tomorrow night.

Wow. Now that I did not know. There's an o-ring inside the nut? No kidding. How did you guys find this information out?

I have learned my lesson on forcing things apart. The first time I tried to break the nut loose with the incorrect tools I was being a bit "violent" with the pump. Lesson learned...to the tune of $200-250 for a new power steering line from Ford.

Again, whine.gif

I am thankful to have a job, so i can afford to do these repairs, but sheesh.

I can turn the nut by hand to thread it into the pump quite a few turns, if I jostle the pump a bit as I thread it in. There is some resistance but not a whole lot.

I bought the dental kit from the store this evening ($9!) so I will check it out tomorrow night.

If the line to nut leaks, see pic of line from RA. Between $75 and $90.

That is if it leaks there. They are not likely to leak unless they have been abused.

Just my op there.

This kind of fitting is unusual. Seal to the nut, and seal nut to line. I think they needed some flex in the line and did not want to go to rubber line.

Best of luck.

-chart-

Attached a couple of pictures. I noticed a puddle under the car of ATF. Reservoir was empty. So refilled w/ maybe 1/2 cup.

So I sprayed down the connection with brakeleen. Removed the belt and examined things.

To me, that looks like it's leaking out from the internal o-ring. since liquid typically doesn't travel against gravity...notice it's shiny right on the brim where the O-ring should be sealing. So even without the engine running it's leaking out. Impressive. Not even hand turning the pump.

I found a $30! off coupon for Advance, so picked up a hose from them. Same part number at all the parts places, so it's the same company, it's branded differently between them. Teflon seals are already pre installed, a bonus! Tomorrow I am going to try to change it out. Going to take the cowl off and see what happens...hoping I don't have to take the upper intake off.

$67 with tax for a power steering hose is a pretty good deal if it lasts a few years.

post-13-0-68583100-1347162741_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-35140000-1347162743_thumb.jpg

You know, I just remembered this, I had to replace that hose right after I replaced the pump on my 00 as well. I took the intake manifold off and it helped with clearance a lot. Also a stubby wrench would help for the fitting on the rack since it is such a tight location.

You know, I just remembered this, I had to replace that hose right after I replaced the pump on my 00 as well. I took the intake manifold off and it helped with clearance a lot. Also a stubby wrench would help for the fitting on the rack since it is such a tight location.

Ah so taking the intake off is easier? I'll play around with it tomorrow.

I bet disturbing that hose on a 10+ year old car after it hasn't been touched or moved in a decade is what disturbs the O-ring.

I do own a stubby 18mm from doing the rack and lines on the 87 :D Course I have no idea where "stubby" went...it grew feet and walked off I think...

1347166805[/url]' post='53720']

Ah so taking the intake off is easier? I'll play around with it tomorrow.

I bet disturbing that hose on a 10+ year old car after it hasn't been touched or moved in a decade is what disturbs the O-ring.

I do own a stubby 18mm from doing the rack and lines on the 87 :D Course I have no idea where "stubby" went...it grew feet and walked off I think...

ph34r.gif

I hate it when those damn ratchets do that. angry.gif There's an old 3/4" Craftsman that I currently have a capture or kill bounty out for...

The new line that came preloaded with the teflon o-rings. To be honest, they are not snug on the line. It looks like it has the larger of the 2 o-rings on each end. is this correct? Or should I swap over the 2 smaller teflon o-rings I got from Ford?

Thanks.

The new line that came preloaded with the teflon o-rings. To be honest, they are not snug on the line. It looks like it has the larger of the 2 o-rings on each end. is this correct? Or should I swap over the 2 smaller teflon o-rings I got from Ford?

Thanks.

I'd go with what came on the fittings.

As I remember, by the time I got mine over the duct tape over the threads, it was not tight on the fitting, but not as loose as the larger ring.

Best of luck.

-chart-

I'd go with what came on the fittings.

As I remember, by the time I got mine over the duct tape over the threads, it was not tight on the fitting, but not as loose as the larger ring.

Best of luck.

-chart-

Ok I will do that.

Here's where I stand as of this evening...

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

The fluid is at least clean coming out of the rack:

IMG_5099.jpg

New and old lines:

IMG_5102.jpg

New line w/prefitted o-rings:

IMG_5103.jpg

Squeezing the teflon o-ring:

IMG_5105.jpg

Wiper assembly (easy to remove)

IMG_5108.jpg

Well I bolted everything back together tonight. Tripped the fuel pump shutoff. Cranked it while steering rapidly. After 10 seconds, reengaged the fuel pump. Started car up for 5 seconds then shut it off. Refilled. Started again and let it run a little while I steered. Noisy!!! Shut it down and the reservoir is bubbling, so loads of air in the system.

I'll finish trying to purge the system of air tomorrow. I am not seeing any leaks from the rack (my main concern), but I think the return inlet is weeping or something. Dumb design. if it is infact leaking, I may get some RTV and make the inlet tube a permanent feature of that pump.

So... it's almost done? biggrin.gif

OK fired up car yesterday. Continued foaming. Had car jacked up on front and cycled wheel a lot. All the bubbles are about gone. Pump got quiet. I dropped the front end down and shut the car off. Reservoir overfilled! So need to empty it out some.

And man was the car smoking! So much smoke. I guess it leaked out a lot of ATF all over the cats and the exhaust. Now, nothing is leaking on the power steering system :) Quiet, leak free, and squeak free.

Wonder how long it's going to take to burn off all the ATF???

Just go jump on the freeway. you should be good in a few minutes. That residue is gonna be there a while though.

Ok car is all fixed. Drove it today. Smoked like a champ at stop lights :) Still was smoking after 20 min of driving/idling. It'll take awhile I guess, like you said.

I forgot how vastly different the 00 drives compared to the 87. I can't believe I haven't driven the car in a month!