Bull Geek

Dohc Power Steering Pump Replacement

After 180,000 miles I finally have had a engine/mechanical failure. Not bad!

The power steering pump is binding up causing the belt to slip and make a decent racket. It's especially bad when you first start the car up.

So about to go outside, remove the the pump and replace with one from O'Reillys. Hopefully that fixes the issue, I have a trip to leave on tomorrow at noon.

The only thing that caught me off guard in the install guide was "If the pulley hub has no marks or one mark, mark the pulley hub with paint before installing it. If the pulley hub has two marks, install a new pulley."

Mine has zero marks, so am proceeding ahead, but why would I replace a pulley after it has had two markings on it?

I hope this fixes the 2000 :\ I would prefer to have at least 1 fully functioning car at a time.

After 180,000 miles I finally have had a engine/mechanical failure. Not bad!

The power steering pump is binding up causing the belt to slip and make a decent racket. It's especially bad when you first start the car up.

So about to go outside, remove the the pump and replace with one from O'Reillys. Hopefully that fixes the issue, I have a trip to leave on tomorrow at noon.

The only thing that caught me off guard in the install guide was "If the pulley hub has no marks or one mark, mark the pulley hub with paint before installing it. If the pulley hub has two marks, install a new pulley."

Mine has zero marks, so am proceeding ahead, but why would I replace a pulley after it has had two markings on it?

I hope this fixes the 2000 :\ I would prefer to have at least 1 fully functioning car at a time.

Bill:

I did a pump seal on my '01 and it was not easy.

I learned:

The teflon O-ring is hard to install on the high pressure line.

The pulley pulls off and pushes on really hard.

The odd spaced holes in the pulley have a reason.

I de-aired the flulid by running a few seconds, sucking the foamy fluid out, replace with new, repeat.

I got a used pump at the JY but did not use it. Thought better to just replace the seal in my old one. The JY pulley had cracks in the plastic near the hub.

Heard too many storys about noisy pumps.

If my experience can be of help, just ask.

Best of luck.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

Thanks Chart.

The pulley remover kit from the store will not fully seat around the pulley. I have tried and tried but I cannot get it to seal.

Tried with another stores. Same problem. Then rigged up a way using some different parts in the kit. Thread snapped in the pump :( Adios deposit.

So resorted to brute force. Chipped/snapped off/Broke away at the plastic power steering pulley. Once I had the angle I wanted, put my wrench on it, and it tried to strip. 18mm wrench. Now I am stuck. Sprayed with PB Blaster.

NOTE: USE A CROWSFOOT 18MM on that nut. Am going to try to fix instead the wagon's AC tomorrow morning. Maybe I can have 1 car tmrw so I can go visit my 91 y/o grandparents.

Guest Jay144

I think it's time you got rid of the 2000.

I know where you can get a real nice '94 Crown Vic for only $7500!! Well, for you, $6800!!

I didn't have any of those issues you guys are talking about on mine. The tool I have works perfect on the duratec pump, one thing to try is the gently tap the center section with a hammer as you are pulling it off or putting it back on to relieve the tension, don't do it hard though because the bearings inside the pump are not designed for that kind of force. I believe I may have replaced my pulley at the same time, but had taken my old one off before I determined it needed to be replaced. It wasn't too expensive either if I remember right.

I would not even get $2000 for the 2000 if I sold it out right. I'd love to get that Vic...but it has a better home now than it would with me.

The rent-a-tool pump pulley remover never gave me a problem on the Vulcan. I don't get what the hell is going on with the plastic DOHC pump pulley. wacko.gif

I wil try to find an offset crowsfoot this weekend and hope I didn't round the nut off too badly.

Guest Jay144

I would not even get $2000 for the 2000 if I sold it out right. I'd love to get that Vic...but it has a better home now than it would with me.

That's true...at least I wash it more than every three months!!

I have a p/s pump new in the box left over from the days when I had an '81 E150 it you think you can modify it to fit your car....comes complete with a pulley!!

You pay for the gas, and I'll drive you to your grandparents...they're in Hilton Head??

Edited by Jay144

1345244588[/url]' post='52560']

:\ I would prefer to have at least 1 fully functioning car at a time.

Now where's the fun in that? :P

Do you have a set of line wrenches? They work great for all sorts of fittings. I don't know where I would be without my set.

Nick, do you want me to check the brand and number of the power steering pulley tool we have?

If you are able to sure :) I won't touch the 2000 again until Sunday afternoon at the earliest, Thanks Chris!

If you are able to sure :) I won't touch the 2000 again until Sunday afternoon at the earliest, Thanks Chris!

Pic attached of the one I bought, not sure but likely at Autozone.

Used it once.

Note, I had to grind a small amount off one side of the split jaws to make it fit the pulley grove.

And the jaws are different on one side than the other to fit different pulley groves.

And as an aside. I used half inch electric impact wrench to save my energy.

One risk to that I missed.

I let the holding open end wrench slip off and it spun the pump.

Best to use box end and be careful.

It spit oil at me and my shop.

Word to the wise. Always invent a new mistake. Do not recycle others errors. dry.gif

There is no shortage of things to do @$#%!&.

Best of luck.

-chart-

The pulley exploded on my chestnut 2000. My daughter was driving it. I went straight to LKQ, pulled a pump with a good pulley and put it on. That was probably a 100K ago.

Now it is foaming and slipping.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

The hardest part was getting the line off the back of the pump.

Mike

:eek:

Chart what you described is exactly my problem. The split jaws are too thick. and are rubbing on the face of the pulley. Which is why they won't seat properly. Even test fitting on the chinese/dorman pulley, same problem.

Thanks for the part number Chris!

Mike, I'm tempted to stop at pull a part and get a pump from a car there, but I'm hoping this A1 Cardone will last...we'll see.

I'll pick the job up tomorrow probably. I need to take the rest of the day off.

Thank you everyone!

Nick

Chart what you described is exactly my problem. The split jaws are too thick. and are rubbing on the face of the pulley. Which is why they won't seat properly. Even test fitting on the chinese/dorman pulley, same problem.

Thanks for the part number Chris!

Mike, I'm tempted to stop at pull a part and get a pump from a car there, but I'm hoping this A1 Cardone will last...we'll see.

I'll pick the job up tomorrow probably. I need to take the rest of the day off.

Thank you everyone!

Nick

Pic added of the puller jaws on the hub. I had to grind off just a small amount on the jaw face to make it work.

Best of luck.

-chart-

As long as you didn't get a FENCO unit you should be okay. My sable ate 3 of those in a year before I installed the A1-Cardone. The Cardone has been on the car now for 2 years just about and other than being whiny it's still working beautifully.

Jeff

Stopped at Sears and bought some line wrenches (not crowsfoot, no idea what I was talking about).

Popped the 18mm one on there, and put all my weight into it and it broke loose. Finally!

Removed old pump, swapped pickup tubes to new one, left O-rings on pickup tube in place but wiped surfaces down and reapplied ATF.

Installed teflon o-ring on the pressure line. And that's all I did for tonight. Hoping the Teflon o-ring will shrink a bit after I put it over a punch to expand to fit onto the line. Tomorrow I'll mount and install the pump. Then I'll have to figure out how I can install the pulley and find out what I owe for breaking the installer.

Stopped at Sears and bought some line wrenches (not crowsfoot, no idea what I was talking about).

Popped the 18mm one on there, and put all my weight into it and it broke loose. Finally!

Removed old pump, swapped pickup tubes to new one, left O-rings on pickup tube in place but wiped surfaces down and reapplied ATF.

Installed teflon o-ring on the pressure line. And that's all I did for tonight. Hoping the Teflon o-ring will shrink a bit after I put it over a punch to expand to fit onto the line. Tomorrow I'll mount and install the pump. Then I'll have to figure out how I can install the pulley and find out what I owe for breaking the installer.

Might I add my experience.

They make a metal funnel to put the O-ring onto the line and not damage it on the threads.

Here is my, make shift and it worked well.

Hope it helps.

-chart-

Not a bad idea if I ever have to replace the teflon o-ring ever again. Good thinking chart!

-Nick

Well I installed the pump this evening. Bolted everything on and...it started out quiet, then pump got noisy and I saw a puddle under the car. Uh oh.

It was leaking like a sieve from the pressure fitting. Appears that the Teflon O ring wasn't 100% seated or something. It seemed to fit a little loose on the fitting. ARG. So...many things got a fresh coating of ATF on the belt side. I'm sure the alt. Loved it.

Does anyone know which of the two teflon o-rings ford sells for power steering should be used? the bigger or the smaller one? 388897-S or 388898-S

Well I installed the pump this evening. Bolted everything on and...it started out quiet, then pump got noisy and I saw a puddle under the car. Uh oh.

It was leaking like a sieve from the pressure fitting. Appears that the Teflon O ring wasn't 100% seated or something. It seemed to fit a little loose on the fitting. ARG. So...many things got a fresh coating of ATF on the belt side. I'm sure the alt. Loved it.

Does anyone know which of the two teflon o-rings ford sells for power steering should be used? the bigger or the smaller one? 388897-S or 388898-S

I got mine from RockAuto and there were two sizes in the pack.

The larger one will not work.

By the Alldata pic you need the little funnel tool to put the smaller one on.

Thus it has to be stretched over the threads and then shrink back into the groove behind the threads.

So if you can put it over the threads, it is too big.

Sorry yours did not work out.

And for what it is worth. To get the air out of the fluid. I ran it a few seconds, shut off. Sucked the foaming fluid out and replaced with new fluid. Repeat, repeat, until it is bubble free.

-chart-

Ok so tmrw, I will install the smaller of the two teflon o-rings, and I'll try to reseat the o'ring properly.

I should probably return the pump I have and get another since it started making noise right?

Thanks for the tip on the air-rated fluid. I noticed the reservoir was bubbly after it was running before it bled the fluid out.

Riddle me this, Nick. Does the nut for the pressure line have resistance when turned? It would have an internal o-ring if so.

I have had good luck using the green o-rings for A/C lines. Find one that stretches just a little when installed, and make sure it seats inside the pump fitting when installed. There should be no green showing when installed.

Ok so tmrw, I will install the smaller of the two teflon o-rings, and I'll try to reseat the o'ring properly.

I should probably return the pump I have and get another since it started making noise right?

Thanks for the tip on the air-rated fluid. I noticed the reservoir was bubbly after it was running before it bled the fluid out.

Air in oil makes a quite distinct sound.

Empty resivor makes a different sound.

Likely you got to the empty sound. It should not hurt the pump.

The O-ring is teflon and is square in cross section. I am sure they went this way for a reason, but it is unusual to use hard teflon.

Car makers do strange things.

-chart-