jcampbell

How Often Do You Detail?

I was washing and detailing my Taurus today and I thought about how well maintained other peoples cars are compared to mine. I wash mine around every 2 weeks, sometimes its shorter or longer depending on the weather and my work schedule. Now for cleaning the inside, thats where I may be a little OCD... I do mine every week. Wash all windows. Clean then protect all interior surfaces and full vacuuming of all carpet in there. So how often do you Wash/detail. And what all do you do?

Marilyn gets a bath every 1-3 months, interior detail every year or two, and windows about every 4-5 months.

She likes it dirty. :boink:

I used to once a week but now with family and stuff it gets washed and vacuumed every couple months. In the winter not at all because the windows and doors freeze shut if I do.

Marilyn gets a bath every 1-3 months, interior detail every year or two, and windows about every 4-5 months.

She likes it dirty. :boink:

Ha, when my car was given to me my dad said. Your lucky that the car you got was well maintained. Now i hope you can keep it that way because when owners take care of their cars their cars take care of them" So I keep it shiny and new biggrin.gif

I was washing and detailing my Taurus today and I thought about how well maintained other peoples cars are compared to mine. I wash mine around every 2 weeks, sometimes its shorter or longer depending on the weather and my work schedule. Now for cleaning the inside, thats where I may be a little OCD... I do mine every week. Wash all windows. Clean then protect all interior surfaces and full vacuuming of all carpet in there. So how often do you Wash/detail. And what all do you do?

Different cars, different needs.

The Lin gets washed once a week, maybe two weeks if it is not dirty. Wax the front bumper, lights, and mirror fronts so the bugs do not stick.

Clean the interior about once a month.

The Sable '01 Wagon, does not get washed nor vacuumed. When I jacked it up to do the rear caliper, I had to sweep the rust off the drive where it fell off the underside.

No matter what, I look under hood at all about once a week on all.

Inspect brakes each fall, flush the brake fluid every other fall.

Air filters, fuel filters, tranny filter, and other maint, by the book.

At the top of my list:

Brakes

Fluids

Battery

Belts

Tires

It is what is under the hood and body that sends a car to the junk yard that is not wrecked.

-chart-

Ha, when my car was given to me my dad said. Your lucky that the car you got was well maintained. Now i hope you can keep it that way because when owners take care of their cars their cars take care of them" So I keep it shiny and new biggrin.gif

Every time I clean her up good, seems to jynx it, and then I gotta fix something. :lol:

Guest Jay144

The Crown Vic, Edge and Caravan are always kept showroom clean, inside and out. The Vic gets rinsed off every other day, with things wiped down on the interior. It doesn't come out of the garage if it is raining, or looks like it will.

The Caravan and Edge are washed weekly if they need it, rinsed off every other day if not.

The Focus, which the middle son drives (it's his car, even though it's registered in my name) is a mess inside. I won't even ride in it. I know it hasn't been waxed in at least 3 years. When the middle son gets his 'new' vehicle, the Focus becomes mine again. The youngest son (15) and I are gonna strip the interior out of it and either replace it or give it a hell of a cleaning. Then the youngest can use the Focus as his main source of transportation.

Edited by Jay144

When I first got the Lady, it was once a week, wax, wash, interior, and re-blacking the black plastic outside.

Now it's about every 2-3 weeks, working on a construction site really gets dust all over her, and my muddy boots tracks it all inside it.

Once a week on the weekends, [usually sunday evening] I'll check tires, oil, trans and water. Can't skip a beat like that.

I try to at least wash her at least once a week. Sometimes that doesnt happen so two weeks at the maximum. I detail probably 2 times a month, but almost every wash gets a vacuum to go along with it. Im pretty anal about the car, I like it to be as clean as possible. When i do a full detail,it includes vacuum, windows get cleaned, leather gets cleaned, armorall the plastics on the interior, tire shine, and Meguiars QuikWax. Occasionally ill use some polishing compound on light scratches that seem to pop up frequently, even though i park in no-mans-land... dry.gif

I do a quick wash at work around 2 weeks. The inside gets cleaned out based on how bad it looks, which is usually over a month - say 4-5 weeks. I try to get a full exterior detail at least once every 2 months (this is clay bar and wax) except for winter. A few weeks ago I took toothpicks and Q-tips to the interior (this doesn't happen often) and I have to admit, she was looking like new inside wub.gif

It really depends on how buggy the drive is for me, other wise I try to wash it every 2 weeks, with every other wash including rain x treatment, armor all plastics, wax/polish maybe once a month if I have time.

You gotta be smart about it, last week it was prefectly clean then I had to drive down a dirt road and it was full of mud, 2 days later it down poured all day and washed all the mud off, now this week it remains clean with the light coating of gray water spotting from dirt in the rain water, Maybe I'll wash it this weekend.

Pretty sure if I were to wash mine, it would fall apart. laugh.gif

Pretty sure if I were to wash mine, it would fall apart. laugh.gif

I know that fear :rofl: Dirt 'n' rust are the only things holding it together :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

well i do my interior every week, i can't stand driving in a dirty car. you would never know that i take her to the junkyard to get parts.

The outside i do every week or every 2 week. got to stay fresh when your in the city. you know, got to keep her looking like i got some money.

The engine well when ever it's to black. some stuff just doesn't look as sexy as me in black.:fro::ph34r:

I just try to keep mine clean.

I'll only wash the car if it's dirty and it's not going to rain within the next 3 days. Sometimes that's every 2 weeks, sometime a bit longer.

Doing the interior usually only happens once every couple months. I hate vacuuming and that only gets done maybe twice a year.

Waxing happens about twice a year too. I try to polish during the first wax of the year too but that didn't happen this year (kind of lazy) lol.

I always seem to get yelled at for detailing way too much. I wash and vacuum the bull about once a week. It is always a thorough cleaning too. I spend a couple hours minimum.

And every so often, I will go crazy on her and wash, dry, use a buffer with polishing compound, cleaner wax, liquid wax, and then do tire wet. Then of course I will do the inside as well with the carpet shampooer.

Keeps me occupied and I hate driving a car with dirt and grime.

Hmm shiny :wub:

2wmictz.jpg

121xuvr.jpg

I pulled the mats from the Lin Cont to wash and let them dry as it is ~90 and sunny so they will dry easily.

There was a drink spill that ran under the pas mat and made a stain.

I mixed up some carpet shampoo in a small bucket and used a brush and cleaned it.

Then used a hose and shop vac to rinse it out and get most of the water out.

Put a fan on it and it dried in couple of hours.

Now the spot is clean, but I got a ring around it. Looks worse.

Went back and shampooed the whole flat area and now letting it dry.

Can't win sometimes.

-chart-

How often do I detail? Not often enough.

The SEL hasn't been washed in at least 3 months.

I washed the wagon for the first time (at least during my ownership) last week. The mildew/mold growing on it was kind of a sign...

Now that the garage is cleaned up out back I can do a better job at keeping the cars looking clean. I can find stuff in the garage now too.

The SHO has carpenter bee poop all over the passenger side and saw dust as well. Next month I'll start working on it.

My bull sees a wash maybe three or four times a year, mostly to get salt off or excessive dirt. Massive amounts of scrubbing are required on the lower parts of the doors as the dirt is usually stuck on worse than bugs. As for vacuuming? Maybe once per year? Interior detail? Never, unless someone does it for me. I just never really cared about how my car looks. I'm more concerned with maintenance that actually affects the vehicle life.

I used to wash the car inside and out every week. But working two jobs and going to school has interfered, so now I wash it about every 3 weeks. It usually gets compounded, polished, and waxed about three times a year.

I don't remember the last time I cleaned my car. And detailed? It's been years. I only drive it about 10 miles a week though.

Just sharing my experience on bugs and such.

Took two trips in the lIncoln in July.

1250 miles and 1400 miles.

Both times ran through one period of severe weather/rain but mostly hot and dry.

I waxed my front bumper, headlamps, grille, and side mirror fronts with Mothers California Gold before each trip.

Bugs washed right off with minimum effort.

That is new to me.

Old trick, I take household ammonia on a rag and wipe down the wiper blade rubber before a trip.

Need to wear a latex glove if you value your skin.

cleans the grime and old black stuff off and they work much better.

Just for whatever.

And as an aside, I also used the wax on the alloy wheels.

-chart-

Hmmm last time I thought of cleaning the wiper was... never. I'll try to remember that one.