Shame that dash cover is glued on! I bet a heat gun would help peel it off, but I bet it's covering a world of hurt underneath. I'm almost ready to pay someone to re-cover mine with new padded vinyl, but that'll cost a mint.

I put a carpet thing on my '90 Taurus. Reason: the dash reflected in the windshield, Really bad. I tried things to dull it some, but nothing worked.

No similar issues with the '88 Taurus, or the '92 Sable.

But I just laid the thing up there and it stayed.

-chart-

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taurus taxis are so cool. This 2003 was still a driver. The #1 reason to have a Vulcan. I'm sure the headgasket was blown, the reason the coolant tank cap was left off. She was running when I

It's the '00 - '03 style, for tha gen 3 wagun. I should have been more specific. I was thinking... ( preacher tone) "we are here to morn the death of this once great car, gone at such a low distance

The sinners removed it! That poor car.

I'll find you a dash out there somewhere lpbpop. I know there was an 91 LX at the junkyard a year ago with a good blue dash :\

I have a dash mat from the old 87's dash (hid the cracks) on the "new" junkyard $25 dash in the 87. Hopefully that'll keep it looking good for a long while.

There's always car-part.com. They actually have an OEM new one for my 92, but it's over 1000.00!!!! There are several with grade A status, but I dunno if that would include any cracks or not. My dash has several cracks on top which I covered with a velour blue cover and that's all I'll probably ever do with those. It has two cracks where the doors close right on that pressure point on the dash too. I found some stuff at Hobby Lobby called Instant Vinyl. It's made to bond to and fill in cracks and splits on vinyl. I'm not sure it would have the same texture,but it would probably look better than the cracks. Anyways I'm going to give it a shot sometime in the next few weeks at repairing those two small spots on my dash and then using my vinyl dye that I used to recolor the interior and dash to blend them in. I think it was 7 dollars and gets you 1 1/4 ounce tube(more than enough to fix a few spots).

Jeff

Double-negtive I love your ground affeck. Where did you get it?

Those are curved peices of plastic sliced from a wrecked front bumper turned upside down, '98 or '99 Taurus.

That Vulcan body from the op is beautiful. My FIL is driving around a nys version of the exact same one. Except the doors and body are '' swiss cheese ''. I would love to buy the doors off it for him, but sadly it wouldn't make a difference for him.

These bulls are very specious vehicles for their fuel economy. Until model year 2010 anyway.

I agree it's a shame we as a scociety are waste full.

The drivers door on my 2003 Vulcan is starting to show some rust at the bottom seam, the brakes have been '' mushy '' since day one. The idle pushes against the brake a little bit at a traffic light. By I too am looking for a reason to replace it with something newer.

I think that's what I do the electrical mods. It helps keep interest.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

This week let's look at a old Chevy. Show of hands, has anyone ever heard of a Corvair Van? In the early 60's you could of had one called the Corvair 95.

coravan-1.jpg

corvair95.jpg

Open the back doors and see this.

coramill.jpg

Pancakes. YUM!

We got a '61 and a '63 by the same person on the same day.

Guest Jay144

I remember them quite well...there was even a 'pickup' version, which had the side 'tailgate'.

I liked the looks, but there was absolutely no protection in the front if you hit something....and, this was before there were seat belts.

1343609857[/url]' post='51558']

More pics taken this morning. This is one of those cars that Grandma owned, then in the past year the kids had it. It started up this morning without issue and took it's last drive as a complete car.

90interior.jpg

engine.jpg

rear-1.jpg

This will make you sick. 1957 F100, it reportedly runs to.

A few months back we had a 1960 Edsel Ranger, Knoxville was the first of the 22 other yards to buy any Edsel. This is #2, a 1959. No were near as good as the first.

Good glass.

My heart breaks. :(

Exactly like my old 1990 Taurus which I miss dearly.

What? for scrap cost? damn that really wasn't a smart move. my bull almost got sent to the the yard, But i love Gold Nightmare way to much to have her sent to a place like that to be picked to the bone then crushed.

sad to a bull like that with nothing wrong sent to the yard like that. would of been one hell of a project car for someone.

The '90 has been out in the yard for awhile now and it don't look like anything has been removed. I have her right on the end the row so I can keep a eye on her.

• 5 weeks later...

This one makes me cry too. A 2003 Taurus with less than 150,000 miles. It runs and drives, I took it for a few laps around (and around and around). The Vulcan sounds like it starved for oil to the valves, but no oil pressure light or check engine light was on. The transmission was great.

2003.jpg

Clean car, dang!

20032.jpg

I wonder why people don't realize they can buy a new good used engine for relatively cheap for these cars. That would make a good car. Heck I'd take it like it is right now and drop in a used engine and drive it myself! :(

Jeff

Typical wasteful society...dispose because it's old. Don't fix, just replace.

Odd that Sable LS/Taurus SEL wheels are on the car...

Is that grill in good shape? My SELs has turned gray.

I can tell by the former owner that this car has never been modified. Not profiling, just a fact. I would say "adult owned" but I'm kind of an adult and still put kick me post it notes on peoples backs. Grill looked fine, Nick.

• Like 1

Dub, why not just get creative with sale slips?

Like, theres gotta be some way to buy the whole car or a major chunk of it.

Buy the complete drivetrain. then the rest of the car as Rolling clips...

reassemble, and sell to some dude for some paper.

Ya know, just how bad does it hurt to see that car sit there... i wonder how bad your business would s**t if it..."disappeared" one night...ph34r.gifph34r.gif, or if you saw my green car driving around the area the next day...

laugh.gif

$had3 :ford::merc:others-261.gif

Well to add to it.. I came across this beauty today at the yard. Must have been Grandma's car that the family didn't want to deal with. A '99 SE Vulcan with just over 74k miles. This thing is clean and it looks like it was garaged. What a shame. The lights aren't even oxidized. Ahh I would have pampered the hell out if this car. :(

30i9eeq.jpg

245dmjt.jpg

Well to add to it.. I came across this beauty today at the yard. Must have been Grandma's car that the family didn't want to deal with. A '99 SE Vulcan with just over 74k miles. This thing is clean and it looks like it was garaged. What a shame. The lights aren't even oxidized. Ahh I would have pampered the hell out if this car. :(

30i9eeq.jpg

245dmjt.jpg

I see this type of thing all the time at the yards that I go to here in Arizona. Just don't understand it. But whatever, one mans junk is my treasure.

30i9eeq.jpg

245dmjt.jpg

In our local Pick A Part there was '03 Sable LS Prem, 44K and hit in front and air bags off like in this pic. Hood and grille, headlights done.

I got heater blower and control, alternator, PS pump, coil pack, cowl drain extension, and top glass.

Someone pulled the engine and took the tranny, so the alt, PS, and coil were easy pickings.

Seats were gone before I got there. Not like I care, I got good ones.

So looks like 9 year old car, air bags off and it is parts, good parts.

So to make older cars keep on keeping on, we need parts.

Some should die that others might live.

Just my take.

-chart-

This car was not damaged in any way. They set the airbags off so they cannot be taken and reused by car dealers... safety reasons I suppose.

This is why it annoys me so much. My coworker bought a 1998 SE sport in this exact color with 184k miles about a month ago which has been a New York car for the whole time, so it obviously isn't so pretty. There is rust, spray paint, etc. It belongs in the junk yard... He couldn't get it to pass inspection due to frame rust. He had to weld the frame, buy new parts, and put tons of money into it so that it was NYS legal. It must have failed for 8 different things in the 5 or so times he kept bringing it back. Lots of frustration and time finally got it to be street legal.

This Blue 99 SE would have been put to good use by him and probably many others... he wanted cheap reliable transportation... this would have fit the bill. The paint is in awesome shape.. and there is no rust!!!! Who on earth would junk this? That's what I just cannot figure out. Many people buy these bulls of this age for their kids as a first car.. and most of them are around the 130k range based on age. We dumped our 1999 that was identical to this other than color with 112k in 2006. It is just hard to see it sitting there going to waste. It had so much more life to it. It runs and drives good according to what is written on the side.

Edit: This junk yard pays out $350 max for cars. My coworker bought that 1998 SE Sport for $500.

Edited by TaurusDailyDriver

Yeah, i believe thats a junkyard practice, to set the bags off so the car wont pass a safety inspection...

hehe not like you cant replace them

In a simaler way, thats how they did the Ca$h for clunkers deal, utilizing Government issue liquid glass in place of the oil... Locked right up tight

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

Yeah, i believe thats a junkyard practice, to set the bags off so the car wont pass a safety inspection...

hehe not like you cant replace them

In a simaler way, thats how they did the Ca$h for clunkers deal, utilizing Government issue liquid glass in place of the oil... Locked right up tight

$had3 :ford::merc::Shady_J:

If someone wants a fix up chaep, look to the "totaled car auction".

See pic, this was totaled and mine, so I could buy back at what the Ins. expected it to bring at totaled acution. $406.

'03 Sable Ls Prem, 80K miles, good tires, clean, good engine and such.

I replaced the top glass before this pic so it was open when the price was fixed. I gave $33 at the JY for a glass.

Cost $330 approx for windshield installed and $44 for a hood, exact paint and year.

My labor for taking seats out and parts of dash for glass cleanup.

Installing a top glass was a bit of a learning experience but it worked. Getting the glass at the JY a bit of a trick aslo.

Of course this car still has some bumps on top but does not effect it's usefullness.

96K on the clock and it is on the road every day.

Just my take.

-chart-

• Like 1

Man, sucks for that mint G3. I really like that color, too. Must be a state/locality thing about the airbags. I've never seen them like that around here, unless the car was actually wrecked, of course. Hm..