Easy Way To Drop The Struts

I have done it three or four times but wanted to refresh my memory.

I think it was Paul Nimz (shoz123) that did the writeup on how to easily change the front struts on the 96-07 Taurus.

I looked up a youtube video yesterday but it seemed like a couple of steps were missing.

Did the old wiki disappear over at that other place?

If anyone has a link to that, I would appreciate it.

Mike

:cool:

There is not much to it. Remove the sway bar links and pop out the outer tie rods . Just be ready to drop the subframe to remove the strut form the knuckle. It was a b!tch in my 01'.

oh yeah, and the pinch bolt ph34r.gif

Edited by OmmEGGA

It's been a while since I replaced a set....

Removing one of the bolts on the LCA helped gain plenty of wiggle room to separate the knuckle from the ball joint and strut. I didn't need to lower the subframe.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Removing one of the bolts on the LCA helped gain plenty of wiggle room to separate the knuckle from the ball joint and strut. I didn't need to lower the subframe.

*this* THANK YOU!!

To me lowering the sub is easier than removing that bolt in the LCA. Kinda in a bad spot. Then I have electric impact and the sub bolts are "zipppp".

Just my exp.

-chart-

• 2 years later...

Just a thought for anyone who owns a Taurus or Sable who thinks that he might someday replace the struts....Remove the pinch bolts and slather them with never seize as soon as you get the car.  As many of you most certainly know, if a pinch bolt breaks, the strut replacement job becomes MUCH MORE DIFFICULT.  The last time I broke a pinch bolt, I had to remove the lower control arm with the strut and drill it out.  I replaced the OEM pinch bolt with longer grade 8 bolt and put a nut on the other side. But the job took days, instead of hours.

8 hours ago, Steve N L said:

Just a thought for anyone who owns a Taurus or Sable who thinks that he might someday replace the struts....Remove the pinch bolts and slather them with never seize as soon as you get the car.  As many of you most certainly know, if a pinch bolt breaks, the strut replacement job becomes MUCH MORE DIFFICULT.  The last time I broke a pinch bolt, I had to remove the lower control arm with the strut and drill it out.  I replaced the OEM pinch bolt with longer grade 8 bolt and put a nut on the other side. But the job took days, instead of hours.

When I lowered my car I went through and did all 4 corners with nut and bolt. Whipped out the threads on the oem knuckles to make sure.