It's moving under it's own power again :) I had to reinstall the old (leaking) radiator due to a longer than expected delivery time. At least the hard part is done.

I was replacing the rear brakes and inspecting the suspension. I thought to myself 'At least I don't have to worry about broken springs like the Taurus' 30 seconds later I noticed the last 3" of the drivers side spring is broken off and sitting in the spring perch. Can't make this stuff up B)

Audi: Das Scheisse Auto. laugh.gifwink.gif

Down to the home stretch. Did Transmission service today-pan looks very good for 83K miles on original fluid. Audi feels that their fluid is 'Lifetime Fill'. I do not agree. It should be registered tomorrow(with broken spring still needing attention)

AudiA6TransmissionPan.jpg

AudiA6TransmissionValveBody.jpg

AudiA6TransmissionPan2.jpg

AudiA6TransmissionPan3.jpg

AudiA6Engine.jpg

AudiA6Front.jpg

Lifetime fill is BS. Just an incentive to get you to come in for a trans rebuild and make the company look "green". If you never change your motor's oil, it would turn into goo. Never changing the trans fluid (while it may never turn into goo) will certainly be detrimental to its health.

Good job taking care of the maintenance! So springs can break on anything, it's not just Tauruses...

Wow, great looking interior! Looks brand new!

Lifetime fill is BS. Just an incentive to get you to come in for a trans rebuild and make the company look "green". If you never change your motor's oil, it would turn into goo. Never changing the trans fluid (while it may never turn into goo) will certainly be detrimental to its health.

Good job taking care of the maintenance! So springs can break on anything, it's not just Tauruses...

Thanks! I've seen numbers up to $8K for a dealer trans replacement(no reman's, only new). I've seen videos of tearing one apart-same skills required as Taurus tranny. I think an Indy shop will do it for $4K. Either way, it's cost prohibitive in most cases. They want you to buy a new car at 100K, just like all the other brands. A new A6 is around $50K-currently beyond my budget.B) Edited by 2000_Gold_Taurus

Buenos suerte!

So I pulled out of my development, and the check engine light comes on right away :( I checked the codes, and the one that stands out is Camshaft Position. I think the first time the VVT kicked in the actuator had air in it. I cleared the engine codes, and took it for a 30 mile drive w/no light :) Still have some noise from front suspension, the broken spring, and new front brake hoses to do.

So the CEL came back this morning! Camshaft Malfunction again. I did some research on the Net, but couldn't find anything that made sense. Then it dawned on me, I needed 3 hands to place the cams and tensioner into place, but I made do with 2. On the passenger side, when I got it placed I took a little break, but didn't plug the electrical connector back in because 'I'll do it in a few minutes'. See where this is going? Turns out it works much better with all connectors plugged in-more power too B)

If I buy a car, will you do all this stuff to it for me? :P

I'm under the impression that if I fix everything I find reasonably well, It'll be reasonably reliable for a while. This,of course, is not always true but I've found it sways the odds in my favor.

So the CEL came back this morning! Camshaft Malfunction again. I did some research on the Net, but couldn't find anything that made sense. Then it dawned on me, I needed 3 hands to place the cams and tensioner into place, but I made do with 2. On the passenger side, when I got it placed I took a little break, but didn't plug the electrical connector back in because 'I'll do it in a few minutes'. See where this is going? Turns out it works much better with all connectors plugged in-more power too B)

No excuses needed. You are in good company.

After having a variety of work done at the Ford/Lin garages under warrenty:

1. Diagnose and order parts.

2. Install parts.

3. Return to have the things they messed up redone.

But not every time.

'91 Cont, rotors replaced, I did not get out of the lot.

'02 Cont. oil on the pavement under after a service. I did not even get in it.

If you want anything done right, do it yourself. You will get it more often.

I have done my share of leaving things un-done. :rolleyes:

Best of luck.

-chart-

...still wanting that pet divider for our VW.

So, what's the hardest thing to do for an Audi? Apparently it's find aftermarket replacement rear springs for a wagon! Stealer wants $150 ea, FLAPS still trying to track them down. There is a company in Sweden that makes them. B)

RockAuto has a listing for the Estate, which in Euro lingo, means wagon.....they are 62.99 each and are made by Monroe. PNSP3244

Jeff

RockAuto has a listing for the Estate, which in Euro lingo, means wagon.....they are 62.99 each and are made by Monroe. PNSP3244

Jeff

Thanks, I saw those, but they say they're for sedan and wagon. The original springs for the wagon are stronger than the sedan, so I don't think they are exact replacements. I don't want to lose load capacity. I couldn't find any info on them anywhere else to confirm or disprove my suspicion. I tried to get info on a used spring from California(no rust)on ebay, but the seller is not responding. The search continues. It appears I can buy the spring from an online VW dealer for $123.

You might try Advance Auto Parts. Go to any store and ask them to call the Advance Salvage vendor. I got all my hard to find parts from them when I was working there. Also the rep will tell you details about how many miles were on the car when it was removed, part grade, etc. They use a network kind of like the salvage yards use to locate obscure parts that they may not have on hand. Still might save you some cash and the price includes getting it to you(your local store) which in my experience has been reasonable for used parts. Usually parts come in just a few days after they are requested. If it comes in and you don't like it then they will refund your money and send it back. Just another option for you....

EDIT: I still have some connections there so I'm on the phone seeing what I can find out...I'll post back once I find out.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Okay,

I was quoted for a 2000 A6 Quattro Wagon....the only way to get the spring is to buy the entire strut assembly off the salvage car. They didn't have a mileage on it, but it was 110.39 for the assembly through them. Might not help you much, but I tried anyhow. That price probably didn't include any applicable sales tax...I forgot to ask if that was all inclusive.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

You might try Advance Auto Parts. Go to any store and ask them to call the Advance Salvage vendor. I got all my hard to find parts from them when I was working there. Also the rep will tell you details about how many miles were on the car when it was removed, part grade, etc. They use a network kind of like the salvage yards use to locate obscure parts that they may not have on hand. Still might save you some cash and the price includes getting it to you(your local store) which in my experience has been reasonable for used parts. Usually parts come in just a few days after they are requested. If it comes in and you don't like it then they will refund your money and send it back. Just another option for you....

Jeff

Thanks, I did not know about that option. I would definitely go used if the part was in non-rusted condition, and the price was right.

I called for you...in case you didn't see that post. It's just above your last one and includes the price. Not too bad, but it's pretty close to the 123 you were quoted for a new one.

Okay,

I was quoted for a 2000 A6 Quattro Wagon....the only way to get the spring is to buy the entire strut assembly off the salvage car. They didn't have a mileage on it, but it was 110.39 for the assembly through them. Might not help you much, but I tried anyhow. That price probably didn't include any applicable sales tax...I forgot to ask if that was all inclusive.

Jeff

Thanks. Can you find out if the spring has 2 green dots painted on it? That's the correct one for my car. If it is correct, not rusted, and the strut is not leaking oil it may be viable to swap the entire assembly.

-Eric