My wife and I have decided we've had enough 'fun' with Taurus transmissions, so we're trying another route:

audis.jpg

It's a 2000 A6 2.8 Quattro Avant Auto w/84K miles. Needs a few things, mainly the timing belt is due. I'm still planning to fix the Taurus and find it a new home.

I love how the Taurus is sitting in the background like "Das b***hes...." :lol:

The good news is, you probably won't have to deal with heinous transmission issues in the Audis. The bad news is, you get to deal with odd "Volkswagen" issues that will pop up. Regardless, both are nice lookin cars. :D

• Like 1

I love how the Taurus is sitting in the background like "Das b***hes...." :lol:

The good news is, you probably won't have to deal with heinous transmission issues in the Audis. The bad news is, you get to deal with odd "Volkswagen" issues that will pop up. Regardless, both are nice lookin cars. :D

Thanks!You are correct about the "Volkswagen" issues. Conveniently, there is good support for these things online. I've had the silver A4 for 10 years with very little trouble.

If you want to grow the family even more, I've got a Champagne color 2000 A6 4.2 sedan over here that Dad's been trying to sell for a while now...

If you want to grow the family even more, I've got a Champagne color 2000 A6 4.2 sedan over here that Dad's been trying to sell for a while now...

Thanks, but no. There's 5 cars here and I think the practical limit is 4. There's also a boat, jetski, and utility trailer.

Thanks, but no. There's 5 cars here and I think the practical limit is 4. There's also a boat, jetski, and utility trailer.

That's it!, 5 cars? ^_^

Just kidding! Car looks good. German cars are a very good choice, but be careful cause they are soo expensive to get fixed. My aunt and uncle have an older BMW 3-series and they hate taking the car to get it serviced.

My friend had an 01 A4 2.8 Quattro. Had lots of issues with that car. Final straw was when the trans went out at 120k. She bought an 01 Focus with more miles (just short of 140k), and so far has been WAY more reliable than the Audi ever was for her.

My friend had an 01 A4 2.8 Quattro. Had lots of issues with that car. Final straw was when the trans went out at 120k. She bought an 01 Focus with more miles (just short of 140k), and so far has been WAY more reliable than the Audi ever was for her.

Many things in life are a gamble. There are plenty of Audi horror stories. There are also plenty of them with 150K+ going strong. The transmission is made by ZF. It's also longitudinal, not transverse, so there are less compromises as there is more room. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.B)

After 2 days going over it, here's the diagnosis:

Car-$4600

Delivery-$400

Timing Belt Kit w/water pump,tensioners-$300

Steering Rack-$300

Brake Pads(F&R)-$25

Trans Fluid & Filter Kit-$110

AntiFreeze-$20

Brake Fluid-$5

PS Fluid-$20

Tire leak-$12

Radiator-$100

Total $5892

Not bad at all B)

Edited by 2000_Gold_Taurus

Considering the 00-02 Focuses are some of the worst junk Ford put out during the early 2000s I'm surprised she did any better Chris :lol:

Nice looking Audi, and a wagon version makes it even better. Congrats on the new car!

Considering the 00-02 Focuses are some of the worst junk Ford put out during the early 2000s I'm surprised she did any better Chris :lol:

Nice looking Audi, and a wagon version makes it even better. Congrats on the new car!

Well you see, I made sure she got a Zetec powered Focus. They are much better than the SPI pile of garbage in the base models.

I'm not against Audis, I just don't like how much they cost to fix, drive, and maintain. Otherwise I typically like them.

What the hell is going on this year? Tauruses and Sables keep dropping... sad.gifwhine.gif

What the hell is going on this year? Tauruses and Sables keep dropping... sad.gifwhine.gif

That's easy in my case. Remember my posts in the 'What have you done to your Bull lately' thread? I usually said 'Nothing, its been running great'. I'm guessing it has a wireless Internet connection I'm unaware of :(. I really planned on getting a few more years out of it. It suited our needs well and drove nice. I guess that's how life goes!

Thanks Nick. The replacement definitely needed to be a wagon. The low height allows our dogs to jump in fairly easily. The Audi has a built in pet divider just in front of the cargo cover-you just pull it up and clip it to the headliner. Need to get a Weather Tech liner back there. Much easier to clean up.

A few more pics:

audis2.jpg

audis3.jpg

I've got it in what Audi calls the 'Service Position'. The radiator support slides forward without disconnecting any hoses so you can get to the front of the engine. It can still drive this way, so it's going back outside until the parts come.

AudiA6ServicePosition.jpg

AudiA6ServicePosition2.jpg

AudiA6ServicePosition3.jpg

There's some surface rust to deal with underneath-no biggie.

AudiA6Underneath.jpg

I pulled the core support forward, and test fit the new timing belt. All is well, so I have to change the tensioners and water pump. I'm waiting for valve cover gaskets and cam tensioner gaskets to arrive, so it's not getting done this weekend.

AudiA6TimingBelt.jpg

The Audi has a built in pet divider just in front of the cargo cover-you just pull it up and clip it to the headliner.

My Jag wagon had the same thing. I miss that feature in our new VW wagon.

My Jag wagon had the same thing. I miss that feature in our new VW wagon.

We intended to get one for the Taurus, but it never happened. It will be nice for the dogs to stay in their area as opposed to climbing around like they did.

Based on my experience with the Taurus, and many stories I reset the Air Gap for the AC compressor to minimum. Seems like a no brainer since it's so easy to get to now. I also painted the rusty pulleys and coolant line at the front of the engine.

I've got the first valve cover off. There's a gasket that leaks under the Cam Chain Tensioner. I'm changing it. The other issue I'm running into is brittle vacuum and PCV lines. I'm changing them too B)

AudiA6Cams.jpg

The cause of several hours of extra fun:

AudiA6HalfMoonSeal.jpg

The Half Moon seal shrinks and leaks over time. Not easy to get at :(

A few new parts, and the new Half Moon seal:

AudiA6WaterPump.jpg

Half way there(still need to do the passenger side)

AudiA6ValveCoverTogether.jpg

That VVT I see on that engine?

That VVT I see on that engine?

Yes it is :) . Funny, I've had my A4 for 10 years and I did not know I had it. I usually don't miss things like that... Anyway, from the Audiworld site:

"The tensioner doubles as the variable intake timing actuator. It has two plastic "half moons", one on the top and one on the bottom. In between there's an oil filled piston to keep the tension on the chain. The whole tensioner moves up and down via a solenoid. When it's down there is more chain between the cams on the bottom, thus increasing intake valve timing. When it's up there is more chain between the top of the cams, so the intake timing is retarded. The VVT (variable valve timing) is only active between 1500-4200 RPM and only at WOT(wide open throttle), in that range increasing the intake valve timing causes an overlap with the exhaust valves and creates a suction effect where the leaving exhaust gases help to suck the intake mixture into the cylinder. At lower RPMs there is not enough air velocity for this to work, at higher RPMs the velocity is so great that some of the intake mixture would get sucked out into the exhaust. (This is also why folks with superchargers are disabling VVT, under boost it causes some of the intake boost to be lost to the exhaust). "

Dang, fancy! Creative german engineering.

Here's a picture of the (dirty) passenger side VVT actuator mechanism and cam sprockets:

AudiA6VVTActuator.jpg