DOHC crank case clean air supply ells.

One on each valve cover with a tube going to the accordian between the throttle body and the air cleaner.

The rubber ell that attaches to each valve cover is prone to failing.

This supplies metered and clean air to the crankcase and the PCV removes it to get rid of water in the crankcase.

If it fails, you get unmetered air and dirty air into your crankcase and the engine intake.

PIcture shows my solution as the ells are hard to find and expensive.

About $1.50 at Lowes for the copper elbow, and the other hoses sold by the foot at any parts store.

Just sharing my solution. Did it on 2 cars and they work well. Rear one is a bit of a pain to reach.

-chart-

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bonus: Your headlights produce a fresh, minty scent.

I save used bolts/nuts and also have a variety of metric automotive quality from Surplus City, buy by the pound long ago.   Helps when I loose something, or when I need to fix some damaged threads

Today's Project See pic, someone's lame fix. I have had the car 8 years and it is not my fix. It is heated and Silver Frost so little chance at the JY. Need to find some screws and I will have it

Posted Images

If you have a taurus that lacks a trunk liner, most junkyards that are u pull allow you to pull em for a buck per panel, at least mine does.

you will have to cut a hole for the emergency trunk release if you desire to keep it, as at least on my 03, it is on the opposite side of the 00-02 sable.

it does quiet down the car. and possibly deflects more of the rear speaker's output back into the car.

Install is easy, the holes are still there on later ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Bugs on bumpers!

I waxed my bumper, head lamps, and side mirror fronts with Mothers California Gold wax before 1400 mile trip.

When home just used a light brush and some car soap and the bugs just washed off.

-chart-

• 3 weeks later...

In post #5 in this thread, see new Autolite pathetic quality.

In this pic, XP-104 used ~15K miles, and misfire.

Rest my case.

Glad to find this. New plug wires helped for couple months and then it returned.

Plugs were so new I did not suspect them.

I did not put them in, they were new in the car when I bought it.

-chart-

• 2 weeks later...

Disc Brake yokes are held on with 15mm head bolts. You need a standard short socket, and they are tight and need half inch drive to get them off.

Deep wall is too long.

I lost my 15mm half inch drive socket.

BUT, Craftsman sets, at least mine came with a 19/32 socket which I never found anything to use it on.

Many years I did not keep it with the set, but in a misc. socket box.

It is a perfect fit for 15mm.

Just shows, you can't loose them all.:rolleyes:

Just sharing.

-chart-

• 2 months later...

Cleaning out some old pics, taken when I was looking for used cars in 2011.

Clipped this from online pics.

I used (cars. and Autotrader.) and often a close look at the pics tell me to "forget it".

See the rust?

-chart-

• 2 months later...

Cold start, near zero chart of the coolant temp vs driving and the climate control.

Overnight ~-2 to zero air temp, coolant temp 3. Chart is from start to until it levels out at 192 degrees which is when the thermostat takes control.

Climate control turns up the blower at 135 and it goes high speed soon and stays until climate control reaches near the setting inside.

What I see is this:

When idling, coolant temp levels at ~140 while the heater is on max.

When driving the temp moves up even with the heater, and when up to road speed, the temp moves up more quickly to control

Time base is seconds. Carchip records every 5 seconds.

Much better than my old school cars of course.

Car '03 DOHC ~101K miles.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-
  • 2 months later...

Added a pic of my under car washing wand.

Made from scrap half inch copper with ell on the end and old scrap hose nozzle soldered to the end.

I use a coars spary to clean under my cars in the spring when salt is over.

Have to be careful to not get water inside the rotors. If it gets in the inside of the hat it will run down between the spindle flange and rotor and rust the rotors solidly on. Been there.

Washed the underside of the '03 today.

Sharing my exp.

-chart-

Used car value.

My case for Used Cars Vs New Cars.

Example:

My ’01 LS Prem Sable.

Sticker $24,745 original owner paid $23,000.

He drove it 3 years and traded it to the same dealer.

I bought it soon after.

My cost $8400.

I have had it 8 years.

His cost per year ~$4900.

My cost per year ~$750. (Assumes it is now worth $2400)

Example:

I bought new Lin Cont, but nice deal for price. All options free, $5K cash rebate.

10 years 101K miles, my cost per mile for depreciation = ~$.35.

I bought exact same care used 40K miles for $8K.

Original owner cost per mile ~$0.75

If I drive it 60K miles and it is worth $3K then, my cost per mile = $0.12

Of course selecting good used cars is not for everyone.

Everyone to their own way.

-chart-

I just realized, most your pictures are missing from this thread, why is that?

I just realized, most your pictures are missing from this thread, why is that?

I remove them because of limited space. When they get old I delete them.

I can't upgrade membership as I do not do PayPal, I am just too simple old coot for whatever that is.

RockAuto takes credit card, good enough for me.

Any pics you would like, I can repost them. I have a pic library in my computer, car stuff, shop stuff wood and metal.

I have my daughter setup my cell phone, SIMPLE. No camera, and have 3 big buttons for 99% of my calls.

Happy Easter from the Old Coot!

-chart-

chart, you may want to have your daughter setup Photobucket or similar. Upload there, post a link here and it doesn't count against your storage space.

Also, you get full size pix in-line.

+2 on the Photobucket. I generally use that or Dropbox. All you do is click Upload to Photobucket, select the file, then click get IMG code. Then it auto copies, then all you do is click paste, and there's your link.

Best of all, it's free!

photobucket_zpsc1f0cd61.png

• 2 weeks later...

From experience:

Tranny fluid change.

I did 3 last Summer.

Had issues getting the fluid in without it burping and spilling it out of the funnel where it went into the filler tube.

Mostly on the '03 Sable. Later it burped out fluid and pushed the dipstick up, making a mess in my drive.

So in the future, I will take the accordian off, and pull the rubber cap off the vent while filling.

Removing the accordian gives more access. Since Ford has a ongoing problem with the vent cap sticking, good time to remove it, clean it, and put it back and see it is free and loose. DO NOT forget to put it back!

Just my take.

-chart-

• 3 weeks later...

chart, you may want to have your daughter setup Photobucket or similar. Upload there, post a link here and it doesn't count against your storage space.

Also, you get full size pix in-line.

OK lets see it it works.

http://s1274.photobucket.com/

-chart-

or this

http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/chartmaker/media/DrumBkTool2_zps5b10952b.jpg.html#/user/chartmaker/media/DrumBkTool1_zps0bb0d89f.jpg.html?&_suid=1366904193251015876807340612914

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

Second picture is working chart, but what you need to do is in photo bucket when the picture is selected you see the button "Direct Link" you select that and it automatically copies the pictures specific URL, it will briefly flash yellow. Then come back here to the editor and paste it into the insert photo link, press OK and your done. It inserts the picture exactly where your cursor is positioned.

here are some pictures uploaded from photo bucket showing the process.

If you need more guidance to get it working let us know, I'm sure everyone enjoys your tips and pictures and wouldn't mind helping you out to get it working.

ph1_zpsf773099d.png

Capture_zps4aa8ff9f.png

Second picture is working chart, but what you need to do is in photo bucket when the picture is selected you see the button "Direct Link" you select that and it automatically copies the pictures specific URL, it will briefly flash yellow. Then come back here to the editor and paste it into the insert photo link, press OK and your done. It inserts the picture exactly where your cursor is positioned.

here are some pictures uploaded from photo bucket showing the process.

If you need more guidance to get it working let us know, I'm sure everyone enjoys your tips and pictures and wouldn't mind helping you out to get it working.

ph1_zpsf773099d.png

Capture_zps4aa8ff9f.png

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y437/chartmaker/DrumBkTool1_zps0bb0d89f.jpg

LIke this?

And then how to do more than one pic?

Thanks!

-chart-

It should be able to display the picture open like in my post, not just a link. I think you may have selected the link button and not the picture button on the forum editor. Make sure you select the insert picture option.

The link seen below is using the link button or simply pressing paste (which is what I am assuming you did), the picture is done using the insert image button (Which I have circled in red) Use that.

More than 1 pic is accomplished by placing your cursor at the bottom right corner of the image and pressing enter to move your cursor down, and then following the same procedure with a new image URL. Look at the second picture, I have the cursor circled in red, get it there and hit enter a few times so you have a space between your pictures, and then insert the next image.

http://i1057.photobu...zpsfdc518ea.png

Capture_zpsfdc518ea.png

Capture_zps244c277e.png

Drum brakes on G4.

Modified brake spoon for adjusting or UN-adjusting

DrumBrakeSpoon_zps629bfdb6.jpg

Home made release wire to release the self adjusting lever. Made from coat hanger.

DrumBkTool2_zps5b10952b.jpg

Where the home made wire release fits.Push in slightly to push the lever out of contact with the star wheel.

DrumBrakeTool1_zps2fad5724.jpg

Hook faces front of car while putting it in, then over the top of the shaft and turn the hook down. Is must fit inbetween the shaft and the lever. It is a feel kind of thing, but the depth tape tells you about where to end the inserting. Takes minor push to release the lever. Important: the spoon handle goes up to release, or if it is a 90 degree bend like in the pic, pull it toward you.

DrumBrakeTool2_zpsab5a9b5b.jpg

Other side is the same, same parts facing forward on both sides, spoon handle same on both sides, UP is loosening of shoes.

Edited and put in new pics. Changed set of drums this pm. And, do as I say not as I do. I turned the spoon the wrong direction and tightened it up. DUMB! Anyone who has never done something like that, can now laugh.tt

-chart-

Edited by -chart-

It should be able to display the picture open like in my post, not just a link. I think you may have selected the link button and not the picture button on the forum editor. Make sure you select the insert picture option.

The link seen below is using the link button or simply pressing paste (which is what I am assuming you did), the picture is done using the insert image button (Which I have circled in red) Use that.

More than 1 pic is accomplished by placing your cursor at the bottom right corner of the image and pressing enter to move your cursor down, and then following the same procedure with a new image URL. Look at the second picture, I have the cursor circled in red, get it there and hit enter a few times so you have a space between your pictures, and then insert the next image.

http://i1057.photobu...zpsfdc518ea.png

Capture_zpsfdc518ea.png

Capture_zps244c277e.png

Thanks a whole bunch. I think I got it now.

-chart-

Fantastic!!! Glad to see it! :)

Live Alt/Bat volts '01 Sable DOHC.

BatStatic_zpse7fefdb0.jpg

BatStart_zps8929c48c.jpg

BatLoaded_zps4789a88b.jpg

BatLoadedInD_zpsf7fd98a0.jpg

LIve action, what the Alt/Battery volts should be.

Of course when it is warmed up, the regulator will lower the volts to a new level to not overcharge the Bat.

And the idle will be lower RPM and the volts will drop at dead idle.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-
  • Like 1