steveg1988

How To: Cheap Way To Restore Power To 1996+ Vulcans

Okay, so this is a bit of a no brainer, but it has to be said.

This is the cheapest way to give your vulcan back some power, see when this part goes bad, some of your power goes into twisting the engine mounts instead of turning the transmission. Only the vulcan has this part for some reason, but thankfully it is easy to work on, just like the rest of the vulcan.

Replace your torque strut if you have not. 16 dollars at autozone/advance to get the anchor part which is not as long wearing as the ford part, but it is cheap enough to do the trick for a year or two.

Torque Strut is the autoparts name for the dogbone

Tools Required:

13mm socket and ratchet wrench with a 2 inch extension.

Diaganosis procedure:

If your vulcan wobbles on startup, replace torque strut. Once i replaced mine i lacked any wobble.

Replacement Procedure:

1: pop hood

2: locate torque strut bolts, connects the alternator to the passenger side strut tower

3: Unbolt the torque strut, it is fairly easy to do, use the extension on the vertical one, and just go to town without it for the horizontal one

4: Wiggle it out of the assembly

5: Wiggle new one in and bolt up.

6: There is no step 6

7: After bolting it in take car for test drive, you will notice a drastic improvement in throttle response and shift quality.

EM-2872.jpg

From what I've seen at my local Pick N Pull, this torque strut assembly may have first appeared in the Gen 3 Taurus (1996-1999), but it wasn't installed in very many of them (only later Gen 3s?), because none of the Gen 3s I checked (about six or seven are there at the moment) had this assembly, and they didn't even have the mounting holes in the strut tower for the bracket that's part of this assembly. However, it seems to be stock equipment on all Gen 4 Tauruses (2000-2007). The Gen 5 and Gen 6 Tauruses (starting in 2008) use the same approach, but their torque strut is shaped differently.

Also, I wasn't able to find this Gen 3/Gen 4 torque strut on the Autozone or Advanced Auto websites any more, though plenty are still sold on eBay, Amazon, etc., but for some strange reason, at prices that vary from about $8.50 to $30 and more, for the same part made by Anchor.

Edited by JohnSawyer

I always wondered why a torqueless monster like the Vulcan had that, and a 3.8, 3.0-3.2-3.4 SHO didn't have it.

Honor thy sacred Vulcans, Roach. :ph34r:

• Like 3

Pish, I have no need for Vulcan Powah. :ph34r:

I don't think those dog bones wear out very often, when I had my engine mounts replaced, the tech said that the "dog bone" was still perfect, he mentioned how most of the stress is taken by the front engine mount from going from park to drive and reverse.