papousaidonlyford

What To Use On Engine

Im looking for something to clean my engine bay with. Ive tried different stuff, but im not very interested in going through roll after roll of paper towels. I saw something called Gunk on YouTube, Anybody ever use that? I also thought about using Goo Gone?, or should i stick with using this and paper towls/

Also, what should i cover up if spraying down with a hose? Does the belt need covered?

I believe you can use any standard cleaner/degreaser. Its up to you there

And i cover Battery, alternator, and distributor cap (If you have one)

Guest Jay144

Goo Gone is mainly for getting adhesive (like in bumper stickers, window stickers) off the car.

Gunk has been around since dinosaurs roamed the earth. It works very well. Of course, the last time I used it was on a pre-computerized car. Only had to cover the distributor and carburetor. Make sure you follow the directions.

I spray everything but belts and exhaust with WD-40, and wipe it all down with old socks turned inside out. No risk to electronics, and some corrosion protection.

Get a few wally world bags and a can of panther piss. Go to a one of these selfserve.jpg

and cover what jcampbell said. Nuff said

At work we spray the whole bay (minus the certain things- starter alternator, distributor, etc.) with a all-purpose cleaner & degreaser. Usually we use purple power, you can find it at dollar general. After spraying it, we rinse it with a pressure washer.

If you lack a pressure washer, just head to the local car wash and do it there. You might want to let the engine cool a bit first so the stuff doesn't dry instantly tho.

• Like 1

I use compressed air to blow off whatever will let go. Then I spray down the engine with a cleaner called 'Purple Power' - WalMart and AutoZone sell it in gallon containers of concentrate. Spray it on with a Windex bottle or similar and stay off the plugs.

Let the cleaner sit for 5 minutes. Make sure you don't leave the cleaner on your paint if you get some overspray. 1 minute won't hurt, but a half hour will.

Wipe down what you can and then get the compressed air out again. Blow off everything thoroughly. Some areas may need more attention the first time you clean up a dirty engine. You might need an old toothbrush to help with stubborn spots.

Blast everything off one more time when you are done.

Thanks, all try the air one later on- not to sure how i feel with water on engine (and my pressure washer tends to not turn on)- Ill try using the degreaser/cleaner and wd40

Thanks again

When I go to the power wash, I spray the engine bay with the tire cleaner/ engine cleaner, then let it sit while i do the wheels and wheel wells, then hold it far back and power rinse the engine bay. always has worked great for me. a bit of sputtering at first (belts slipping and whatnot) but the engine clears out real quick and i'm on my way :)

I either use super clean, or one of the gunk products, I spray with the engine warm and i spray everything. let it sit for about 5 minutes, then use a pressure washer. perfect results every time cool.gif

Clean? The engine? What is this concept of which you speak?