michakaveli

Headlamp Lense Repair - Involving Mirka Sanding Discs...

Not a Ford, but this issue happens to all vehicles nowadays...

Our Corolla's headlamps again have the common fading and yellowing issue, and I was waiting for a chance to try the Mirka Abralon 3" sanding discs, 1000 & 2000 grit.

Process:

- wetsand each headlamp with a 1000 grit disc via UDM - speeds 3-5/6

- wetsand each headlamp with a 2000 grit disc via UDM - speeds 3-5/6

- compounded each lamp via Makita rotary, a 3.5" PFW pad, and M105 (original formula)

- final polish each lamp via Makita rotary, a 3.5" Uber Green pad, and M205

- as time and daylight were running out, a quick spritz of Aquawax to hold onto the freshness until I have a chance in the near future to try a "custom" sealant.

*NOTES*

- the quality of the Mirka discs is very good. I was able to only use one disc of each grit for both lamps.

- I used one of my Kwazar bottles that I picked up during my recent trip to Poland, it was very handy having the double spray action to help keep sanding smoothly :thumbup:

- Once the job was complete, the lamps did indeed look brand new again. :rockon:

I took a couple quick pictures during the process.

before.jpg

after.jpg

comparison.jpg

awesome i will try this....question tho...once wetsanding and buffing...will that make it more prone to fading and yellowing faster left untreated without any UV protectant?

awesome i will try this....question tho...once wetsanding and buffing...will that make it more prone to fading and yellowing faster left untreated without any UV protectant?

The reason the lense was yellowing and fading in the first place, is due to the OEM coating on the lense had failed/failing. You can apply a paint sealant/wax while applying this to the rest of the vehicle. Keeping a coat of sealant/wax offers the UV protection needed to keep the freshly sanded surface from re-yellowing, etc... Hardest part is to keep up with the application B)

I am working on trying a urethane/mineral spirits type "sealant".

ok gotcha...i might try a clearcoat too idk we will see when i have time to get around to it lol

ok gotcha...i might try a clearcoat too idk we will see when i have time to get around to it lol

From somewhere I read recently, if you do clearcoat it again.... sand with 800 grit, then spray.

gotcha yea i did my bros neon's turn signals by wetsanding i used 800 grit for wetsanding then went to a finer grit...i think it was 1200. Then i clear coated...turned out pretty good

I took these pictures with my cell phone during the headlamp resto. These photos show a better contrast comparing the before and after.

after2.jpg

after3.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the headlamp refinish on Nick's (BullGeek) Centennial headlamps.

*Same process of stated on the prior headlamp refinish, although worth noting, the plastic on these lenses was harder and they expired the sanding discs at a faster rate than on the Corolla resto.

Enjoy!

Taurus1.jpg

Taurus2.jpg

Taurus3.jpg

Taurus4.jpg

Taurus5.jpg

Dang I made it into 2 of the pictures! lol Seriously, again man, many thanks. They turned out GREAT!