Tornado Myths

I am predicting a rather active severe storm season this year. So, I want to make sure that all of you and your families know how to stay safe. Some folks have told me that they think a highway overpas is a safe place to hid from a twister. And if you are driving along, and a tornado pops up, that sure does look like a solid safe place to be. I want to inform you all that this IS MYTH. NOT TRUE! If you know someone who survived a twister by hiding under one, they got lucky, that's all. So take a few minutes of your time and check out this website: http://tornadoproject.com/

Here is a clip:

Myth or Misconception #5 .... Highway overpasses are a safe place to shelter if you are on the road when you see a tornado coming.

Myths continue to kill! In a film entitled terrible Tuesday, about the Wichita Falls tornado of 1979, a man was interviewed by a reporter about his close brush with death. He had been on the highway when he realized a tornado was coming. He parked his car and ran up underneath the overpass crossing the highway. In the early 1990s, the television crew covering a story was on the way back from the shoot. They saw a tornado, and when they realized it was gaining on them, they parked the car and ran up under the overpass, where several other people had also tried to take shelter. A small tornado was headed straight for them, but tossed around a van before it reached them. The weak tornado passed south of them, but both the experience and the video were very intense. This video was seen on television programs and newscasts by literally millions of people!

Since that video clip aired, many people have come to assume that this is a safe shelter, perhaps because the news crew survived. But this is a modern-day myth. Scientists and meteorologists and the emergency management people have become very frustrated with the increasing number of motorists who are doing this routinely. The truth is, any time you deliberately put yourself above ground level during a tornado, you are putting yourself in harm's way.

During the May 3, 1999 Oklahoma tornadoes, dozens of drivers pulled over on the highway and ran up under highway overpasses. Not only did this put them at risk, but they put many other motorists at risk by blocking the roads in the area of the overpass. An informal survey of storm chasers showed that 9 out of 10 storm chasers felt that overpasses were extremely dangerous places to be during a tornado. Scientists at the SPC and NSSL knew that it was simply a matter of time until someone was hurt or killed because they chose to climb up underneath an overpass. And on May 4th, that prediction proved to be true. A woman and her child climbed up to shelter beneath the overpass, with several other people, and the intense winds caught her in their grasp. She was carried a half a mile to her death. Her child sustained slight injuries. It is regrettable that this myth could not have been dispelled before someone paid the price with their life. An excellent explanation of why this is unsafe is at the <A href="http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/papers/overpass.html" target=_BLANK>Southern Region NWS site.

Stay safe out there, folks.

Ouch, some good information there.

If I am ever driving, and a tornado is coming, Imma go the opposite direction and floor it. I'll take my chances :P

Hopefully my area stays tornado-free. Not in the mood to deal with re-hanging cable.

Thankfully closest I came to in a tornado was just a tornado warning, where I went grocery shopping, got into my car, started to gently pour. Get to the stop light, it was windy and very rainy, then I sit there, "s**t, must be under something" turn on AM News, right away they announce a tornado warning, and I was parked next to a Federal Signal 2001 siren. That was fun lol

If I am ever driving, and a tornado is coming, Imma go the opposite direction and floor it.

Wimp :lol: I'm goin' in!

I don't wanna destroy my Focus :lol:

Now the Econoline... :P

I don't wanna destroy my Focus :lol:

Now the Econoline... :P

No time to worry about what you're driving. Gotta get the shot! DAMN THE WRIGHT BROTHERS, FULL SAIL AHEAD!

Regarding driving and tornados....a few tips from a chaser....

1. If you decide to outrun the storm, be aware that that tornados can move upwards of 60 and 70 miles per hour. DO NOT ATTEMPT to outrun it on a parallel course! Drive as fast as possible at a RIGHT ANGLE! This puts you out of it's path completely.

2. If you DO get caught in a tornado in your vehicle, point the nose of the vehicle into the winds, and let the aerodynamics work for you. Head on winds tend to help push the car down, while crosswinds tend to help lift it. Fasten your seat belt, and lean to the inside of the vehicle, and shelter yourself as well as possible from the windows, which may, or may not shatter.

Tim

• Like 1

Regarding driving and tornados....a few tips from a chaser....

1. If you decide to outrun the storm, be aware that that tornados can move upwards of 60 and 70 miles per hour. DO NOT ATTEMPT to outrun it on a parallel course! Drive as fast as possible at a RIGHT ANGLE! This puts you out of it's path completely.

2. If you DO get caught in a tornado in your vehicle, point the nose of the vehicle into the winds, and let the aerodynamics work for you. Head on winds tend to help push the car down, while crosswinds tend to help lift it. Fasten your seat belt, and lean to the inside of the vehicle, and shelter yourself as well as possible from the windows, which may, or may not shatter.

Tim

Emphasised. You wouldn't know it from seeing one on the telly, but them b***hes can BOOK IT.

• Like 1

And according to my speedometer, my Focus can go 150 Mph! :lol:

Take that Tornado! I know how those things wanna follow me.

My buds 06 vette will do 160+. id dare it in a race lol

just kiddin. for real though, id be in the taurus going in the perpendicular direction, and then get out to watch

$had3 :ford::merc:others-261.gif

I live in Alabama... We take our Tornado warnings SERIOUSLY! LOL and x2 on the crosswinds... I drive a truck, and I have gotten scared a couple of times in storms when a cross wind PUSHES me into the other lane, or like I ad happen crossing the TN river on I24 one day... I wasn't far from 9-wheelin it LOL

Tornado warnings here are a joke. Basically when they go off, people actually go outside to play in the rain.

I've always seriously wondered if the trunk would be a safer place to be assuming you had no choice but to hide in your car.

Obviously you may get tossed around but you don's have to worry so much about debris flying in through the windows.

I've always seriously wondered if the trunk would be a safer place to be assuming you had no choice but to hide in your car.

Obviously you may get tossed around but you don's have to worry so much about debris flying in through the windows.

Make sure the jack and spare are tied down, or it really wouldnt matter what flies in the windows LOL

It's not that the wind is blowing, it's WHAT the wind is blowing. If you get hit by a Volvo, it doesn't really matter how many sit-ups you did that morning. --Ron "Tater Salad" White

• Like 1