Possible Taurus Recall?

Any news on ford giving this an offical recall yet?

Not that I have heard. Probably not enough reports or investigation yet -_-

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really? Those are the stupidest things I have ever heard. Turning on the a/c and opening the windows won't do s**t to slow you down. Besides, you'd better be concentrating on safely stopping the ca

The difference in RPMs the a/c creates is negligible. It amounts to a 50 rpm difference. Dragging your foot will do better. As to the windows down, really, get your head out of your butt. Do you r

oops.. just a senior moment. sorry about that

Guys guys guys, relax bros.

Simply put, just get the power away from the wheels. Either shift to neutral: The car will rev-limit to around 3500 unless you put a tune in to increase rev limiter (Why?)

Or, just switch the key off: Will kill all power, just get the vehicle to stop safely.

I just reprogrammed my XCal tune to limit the RPMs in Neutral/Reverse range to 2500. This should provide a little reassurance in the unlikely event that something happens while I'm in the road...

Shadowfax/97 LX/whatever... that was totally uncalled for. You criticized Steve for being young while acting like a five year-old little snot.

Guest Shadowfax

Shadowfax/97 LX/whatever... that was totally uncalled for. You criticized Steve for being young while acting like a five year-old little snot.

I've wondered how you manage to get that massive ******' ego of yours to fit in your car......

1332297774[/url]' post='42372']

I've wondered how you manage to get that massive ******' ego of yours to fit in your car......

It's a daily challenge, but I make do. Since I'm awesome like that.

Here's something that we kids say on the internet, so you might need to Google it: GFY.

Correct me, but if you turn the ignition off, does that not also lock up the steering column?

I think I have to do a little experiment in the local shopping mall parking lot. Hold 2000 rpm, shift to neutral and then turn the key off to see if the column locks up. No power steering is not anything to panic about. I have had the engine on my 1995 GL throw the belt (actually it was my number three son that was driving) and he was able to slow down and come to a safe stop. The steering got very stiff just before the wheels stopped turning. I suspect the sound of the engine revving to redline would be the most unnerving thing.

When you turn the key off, with the car in D, it gets locked before you can turn your ignition key to the "Off" position. Generally, on the Taurus, there's 5 positions

1. Accessory

2. Off

3. "Neutral" (In this setting, you can shift to any gear without using the brake pedal, it's a click before ON, no accessories/power should be on)

4. On

5. Start

Only way to allow Steering wheel lock to engage is to shift to Park, switch to off, pull key, then wheel will lock.

With car off, you just have no power steering. However while moving, you can steer. If I can steer a loaded E-250 with no power, moving a Taurus should be easy.

Thanks TaurusKev. My excuse is old age. I do believe you are correct. Therefore, if the engine revs, shift to neutral, and shut off the power. Straight forward and simple. Thank you.

As an aside (anecdotal situation), once when I was in traffic (early 1980's), the car in front stopped suddenly. I hit the brakes and stopped, but the engine revved up and was straining against the brake. The harder I pressed on the brake, the higher the engine seemed to rev. I shut the engine off and then found that it was my big, fat foot pressing both the brake and the throttle at the same time. This was about the same time Audi's had unexplained throttle runaway/acceleration problems. If memory serves me, I think that was the eventual explanation for the Audi's as well which they solved by just moving the pedal locations.

I heard about this, but I didnt think it was this big of a deal. Im going to check this out first thing in the morning. Is it just me or do alot of people keep stating '05 as the problem year?

I first saw this posted on Bryan Becker's wall on Facebook (don't know his screenname on here).

Originally I thought it was related to the pedals being too darn close on the things. My 01 had the pedals EXTREMELY close from the factory - my father, who wears size 7 shoes - was always hitting both pedals while driving. I have size 13 feet, when I started driving it, it was dangerous. Luckily Ford had a recall for it. I still ended up hitting both pedals. That's the reason I have to left foot brake with automatics now.

The fact that it's not user error and the failure of a mechanical linkage is scary. I have never experienced a runaway vehicle, and I hope I never do. If the car starts running away, I'm going to be more concerned with stopping it ... not what I'm going to damage. The transmission is going in neutral and both brake peals would go to the floor until it stopped.

Next time I'm in the junkyard I'll have to take a look at the cruise control cables on some of them to see if they are at risk for falling off.

I first saw this posted on Bryan Becker's wall on Facebook (don't know his screenname on here).

Originally I thought it was related to the pedals being too darn close on the things. My 01 had the pedals EXTREMELY close from the factory - my father, who wears size 7 shoes - was always hitting both pedals while driving. I have size 13 feet, when I started driving it, it was dangerous. Luckily Ford had a recall for it. I still ended up hitting both pedals. That's the reason I have to left foot brake with automatics now.

The fact that it's not user error and the failure of a mechanical linkage is scary. I have never experienced a runaway vehicle, and I hope I never do. If the car starts running away, I'm going to be more concerned with stopping it ... not what I'm going to damage. The transmission is going in neutral and both brake peals would go to the floor until it stopped.

Next time I'm in the junkyard I'll have to take a look at the cruise control cables on some of them to see if they are at risk for falling off.

What did Bryan post? I must have missed it. Just did the Sable a couple nights ago too for good measure. Spreading the word around school and work too and offering to zip tie them for free.

• Like 1

What did Bryan post? I must have missed it. Just did the Sable a couple nights ago too for good measure. Spreading the word around school and work too and offering to zip tie them for free.

It was a week or two ago he posted a link to a runaway Taurus. I thought it was someone pressing both pedals.

Pictures of what EXACTLY to zip tie? A runaway car with as much weight in the trunk as mine has would not be the easiest thing to stop.

There is a attachment point for the cruise control cable that comes off a bit too easily over time.

UPDATE:

Come to find out from police reports that his floor mats have gotten caught up in the gas pedal assy and from that we can not blame ford for having too many floor mats.. I was also asked to not discuss this matter as far as his health and fallen wife goes and this was from his parents

OK Godfather, thanks for the update. mellow.gif

It's definitely a tragic situation, but I am relieved that this cruise control cable issue hasn't caused the level of damage or body count that it potentially could.