Possible Taurus Recall?

Hmm. From my understanding it was the other way around. Some 1.9 million cars now.

Edit: I checked the date/times on your articles, Sandy. You do have them backwards :blush:

oops.. just a senior moment. sorry about that

• Like 1
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really? Those are the stupidest things I have ever heard. Turning on the a/c and opening the windows won't do s**t to slow you down. Besides, you'd better be concentrating on safely stopping the ca

The difference in RPMs the a/c creates is negligible. It amounts to a 50 rpm difference. Dragging your foot will do better. As to the windows down, really, get your head out of your butt. Do you r

No prob. I neg repped you. Intended to Positive rep you. :( For this I apologize. Feel free to neg rep me at will.

I don't even know what neg repped means !

Lol basically saying your post was unhelpful, or stupid. Yours, of course, never are.

Here are Pictures of the cruise control cable connector design (throttle end) of my 1997 Taurus GL built 01/04/1997 w U engine code (3.0L Vulcan)

Also shown is one POTENTIAL way the throttle could be stuck but this is HIGHLY unlikely and depressing the gas pedal or moving the throttle will

rectify the situation.

I think there was a bad design change on the gen 4's where this cable disconnects along the normal motion axis of the throttle lever

can anyone confirm that the cruise connectors shown above do not collapse in on themselves (can the cable end slide left and right?)

DSCF5284.JPG

DSCF5286.JPG

DSCF5290.JPG

DSCF5288.JPG

well we are 1100 miles from home so i went out there and snapped my off on beck on a few times and its tight but i went ahead and put a heavy bread

tie just for insurance and twisted it on tight :unsure:

Well, if you have any problems in Knoxville PM me and I'll come running :) .

Well, if you have any problems in Knoxville PM me and I'll come running :) .

Thanks alot brother ill sure keep than in mind ...that is real nice of you to offer your services to help a forum brother that might be in need :dude:

always loved your car by the way

Edited by Godfather

Lol basically saying your post was unhelpful, or stupid. Yours, of course, never are.

Considering my facts were all bass-akwards, I'd say a ned rep was well deserved ! Lesson for me is to not post until I've calmed down from the work day, had a snack, and can pay attention !

Considering my facts were all bass-akwards, I'd say a ned rep was well deserved ! Lesson for me is to not post until I've calmed down from the work day, had a snack, and can pay attention !

:lol: nah mistakes are mistakes. When you post like certain members no longer with us, then they are deserved hahahah

I just checked my cruise control cable as well. It feels loose in the fitting, but it didn't come out with me tugging on it. Just something else to keep an eye on.

I put a zip tie on the 07 today for insurance, it wasn't loose at all really but, it is my moms car, would be nice if it could remain safe, it has been totalled twice hopefully the head on collision it was in had nothing to do with this.

For what it is worth, if you wan to stop with a open throttle:

1. Drop the transmission in N (don't pull the lever, just slide it).

2. If is imminent danger (a tree, another car) PRESS THE PARKING BRAKE! It has a mechanical linkage to the rear brakes (to the discs pads) and is VERY effective. It might lock on you, so don't steer.

The regular brake pedal won't be so effective if you loose the vacuum assist due to the open throtle (don't "pulsate" them, it will loose the vacuum even faster).

This is very interesting....

My cruise control cable has been acting up for a while now (and is currently disconnected) but for what seems to be a different reason...

The issue with mine is not the end where everyone is zip-tying, but at the end of the housing where the plastic clip is... the housing comes out of the clip and hangs up on the side.

The problem only rears it's head when I've been juvenile and punched the throttle... First time it happened I was left with a car hanging at 3000RPM that wouldn't slow down for the pending right turn. <_< It's a scary ride, but like it's been said previously in the thread, your car will merely bounce redline until you get it stopped and shut down.

It's hard to explain, but if y'all are interested I'll intentionally stick it (with the car off, of course) to show you what I mean.

Fingers crossed they'll include the 2000's, I don't feel like paying for a new cable...

Ian

Just checked my buddy's 05 SE and the cruise cable was laying down disconnected and he told me that the car would rev up at times and had mechanic's tell him they cant find anything wrong with the car and all they had to do is look at the cables not just plug the diagnostics up and run test...lol sleep.gif

all they had to do is look at the cables not just plug the diagnostics up and run test...lol sleep.gif

And I'm insane because I look at the car, not a computer, when diagnosing a problem. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

agreed brother

Matter-of-fact I am heading out in a couple minutes to see what's wrong with my Fiance's Cobalt. I have my code reader, but I will also be actually physically touching the vehicle under the hood. Without gloves, too! I am such a rebel. :lol:

It's hard to explain, but if y'all are interested I'll intentionally stick it (with the car off, of course) to show you what I mean.

Fingers crossed they'll include the 2000's, I don't feel like paying for a new cable...

Ian

Could you take a picture of the problem. They're worth a thousand words, you know B)

Had a friend that lost his 23 y/o pregnant wife over this issue last night ............. i am so devastated and in tears ... natty issue ..

Holy s**t dude, I'm so sorry to hear that

so far as much as i know he was going down the interstate to her doctors office south on i-75 and could not stop on the off ramp and hit a on coming vehicle on the passenger side.... sorry cant spell

Damn, dude...

At the risk of sounding insensitive, he or someone needs to report this. Last I heard the NHTSA didn't have any reported accidents due to the issue. So far we have had two on our little Taurus forum. They both need to be reported to push the investigation into ovrdrive and keep this from happening to anyone else.