Time For Another Career Change.

DLC360

Well in my work history I have been going against the odds, I have only had 3 jobs since I graduated from high school.

1) 1978 to 2006 - Company bought & shut down by competition.

2) 2006 to 2010 - Laid off because of slow down.

3) 2010 to Dec. 2011 - Laid off becasue of slow down again.

When I got laid off back in December I started looking for another job I was really hitting a brick wall, but I was going through temp agencies and any company I could think of in my field. Well, I found a job at another little company and started there on Jan. 23rd. The strange part, I will be giving my 2 week notice in a couple weeks because I got a better offer just this week. So now I can add a 4th to my "previous career list, all of 5 weeks when its done.

Starting March 5th I will be working at U.S. Steel in Lorain, Ohio as a Mechanical Maint Tech, talk about taking a big jump. :blink: I have over 30 years building heavy equipment for industries, now I get to fix them in a HUGE company. The only draw back to this, I wont be able to better my record from last years shows. I am going to have to pick and choose the shows now since I know i'll be working some weekends now. The plus side, i'll be able to get some more things for the wagon and have better things done as well.

Congrats on the change. Not a short commute to work though is it? Lorrain is like to the north and west of you by 20 miles?

Congrats. Sometimes a change is the best thing, even if it takes away a little bit from your hobbies. I hope you love working there adn have great luck with the position :D

Thanks. From my place to the plant is only 23 miles door to door. I had to run out there last night and checked it all out again. Right now I have been working out to the east and the ride is 21 miles each way, so its not to much of a differance. I am just excited about this job because it is such a big place. The largest company I have worked at was my first job, we had just over 300 people in the shop at its best time. The others were little companies, maybe 10 - 15 people in the shop at each. With the steel mill, they are hiring 130+ people at this time alone. I have just never felt really comfortable at the small companies. My first job,we all felt like a big family and even though we had personality issues, we all looked out for each other. I am just want a good stable place to put in another 10 years and then sit back and polish the wagon.

• 7 months later...

Congrats Dennis ! Is the 944 your new commute ride ?

You're on the same career path a lot of us old farts have had to take. I was with the same company for 20 years. Then in 3 years I had 3 jobs. But now I'm at busland and love it. Takes a while to find your place in the new workforce, but once there, it's worth it.

Congrats Dennis ! Is the 944 your new commute ride ?

You're on the same career path a lot of us old farts have had to take. I was with the same company for 20 years. Then in 3 years I had 3 jobs. But now I'm at busland and love it. Takes a while to find your place in the new workforce, but once there, it's worth it.

yes, the 924 is my new work car. i love my new job and it doesnt help that i can afford more toys now.... lol