02taurus1234

Taurus Won't Crank

i received a taurus for free because its been sitting in my friends yard for two years. now the 02 taurus ses won't turn over. i replaced the ignition switch, neutral safety switch, fuse number 7, relay, and got the starter checked out and its good. i even checked the chip in the key and it is good. with the key in the crank position i am getting 12 to fuse 7, and i am getting power to the safety switch. i then checked the power at the starter solenoid and it was at 5 or .5 i don't remember but it still wont crank....i'm starting to think the computer is fried but i don't know how to make sure. any ideas?

Do lights work at all?

it should crank regardless of computer condition. there should be a fusible link near the starter, that could be broken or damaged.you can try hooking up the solenoid directly to the battery to make sure that the grounds are good. also are you sure that the engine is not seized?

yes all the lights come on and i got the started tested and it was good. i also put a new battery in it and connected a started from another car on it anyway and nothing. think it could be the anti thief ?

the engine does turn over as my friend who gave me the care started it directly from the fuse under the hood....hence why its got to be losing power somewhere before

Could be antitheft then. When you turn the car to on, the radio, heater fan, ect work? If I'm not mistaken, those keys are chipped. And if it's not programmed then it shouldn't do anything to start the car.

i honestly never tried turning on the radio and heat but i will as soon as i get back home. the dome lights come on and the open door buzzer comes on also. yes the key is chipped and i went to ford and had it tested to see if its still good and she told me the chip was fine. what would cause the key to need to be programmed again and how do you program it? ford has to do it?

If the PATS system is preventing the car from starting the 'THEFT' light should start blinking rapidly when you try to start the car.

I believe you can reprogram the key on your own but I don't remember the procedure. There was a thread last year where someone screwed up his PATS system but I cant find it :( .

so if i can't program it i would have to take the key to ford or would i have to tow the car there too? i had the key checked out before to see if the chip was alright and it is.....do you think whatever reads the chip failed? the car was sitting for two years so that probably caused the pats to fail

so if i can't program it i would have to take the key to ford or would i have to tow the car there too? i had the key checked out before to see if the chip was alright and it is.....do you think whatever reads the chip failed? the car was sitting for two years so that probably caused the pats to fail

I am a little confused as to what problem you are experiencing.

You stated the car wouldn't crank. When you attempt to start the car and turn the key, does the engine rotate? Or does the engine rotate, but not fire?

the engine does turn over as my friend who gave me the care started it directly from the fuse under the hood....hence why its got to be losing power somewhere before

What did your friend do under the hood? Was he able to start the engine with whatever he did?

When the ignition switch is turned to the START position the starter relay switches power to the starter solenoid causing the starter motor to engage as long as: the digital transmission range (TR) sensor is in PARK or NEUTRAL and the anti-theft system is operational.

If there is a PATS problem, the Anti Theft indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START. The PATS disables the starter.

the engine doesn't turn over when i turn the key. it doesn't crank. my friend put power to a relay and fuse and started the car with starting fluid but it quickly died to lack of gas i believe. from what everyone is saying it sounds clear to me its a pat problem. i just wanted to know now how do i go about getting this fixed

the engine doesn't turn over when i turn the key. it doesn't crank. my friend put power to a relay and fuse and started the car with starting fluid but it quickly died to lack of gas i believe. from what everyone is saying it sounds clear to me its a pat problem. i just wanted to know now how do i go about getting this fixed

It does sound like a PATS issue. The three problem areas are the key, the PATS transceiver, and the PCM. Due to the specialized diagnostic and programming equipment needed, this is a dealer job.

Something you can check - With your key in the ignition in the START position, move the tilt column around. Sometimes the transceiver wires will flex and break or have intermittent contact.

sounds like a pain to have to tow my car to the dealer and then get ripped off...can i just do away with the pat system completely?

sounds like a pain to have to tow my car to the dealer and then get ripped off...can i just do away with the pat system completely?

The PATS interfaces with the ECU. I believe the only way to disable PATS is through a custom tune to the computer.

how about one of thos pats bypass modules you can get for putting in remote start? would something like that work? I really dont know how they work...

how about one of thos pats bypass modules you can get for putting in remote start? would something like that work? I really dont know how they work...

i believe that will start the car but eventually you need to put the key in the car to take off and i think it will just die. i did find information on how the pats system works...(

There is a small chip in the ignition key called a transponder. When the key is inserted into the ignition switch it sends a code to the vehicles computer through a receiver coil mounted to the barrel. Once the computer has identified it as a valid key, it enables the starter and fuel management systems)

....since my key is good and my computer is good you think i can just replace the receiver coil? is that even replaceable and where is that coil located?

im not saying put a remote starter in, im just saying use it to bypass the pats system, it replicates the chip in the key and allows the car to start, even without a chipped key in the ignition.

Something you can check - With your key in the ignition in the START position, move the tilt column around. Sometimes the transceiver wires will flex and break or have intermittent contact.

....since my key is good and my computer is good you think i can just replace the receiver coil? is that even replaceable and where is that coil located?

Yes you can replace the transceiver. I suggested earlier to move the tilt column around because those wires can break.

From the Service Manual:

"The PATS transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. The module is located behind the steering wheel column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends data to the PCM.

The PATS uses a visual theft indicator. The indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS problem, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START."

If the anti-theft system does not operate correctly (engine does not crank but the anti-theft LED proves out normally), the following may be at fault: Starter relay, PCM, Circuitry, Encoded ignition key, Ignition key code, Ignition key transponder key code, Ignition key transponder key code format.

Transceiver replacement instructions: passive-anti-theft-system-pats-transceiver-removal-and-installation.pdf

I know its a little late to reply to the original poster about this problem but for others who are having similar issues you will be surprised to find out how I solved the same problem. I was having problems with intermittent starting where the car starter would not turn over.  I had the battery checked, replaced the starter, checked the fuses and the fuse box for corroison and all the other things that were suggested.

It turn out to be a relay, the pcm power relay to be specific. Relay number 31 in the owners guide for a 2000 Taurus. Interestingly the same relay went again on me yesterday and my car would start but not shift out of park, after the usual checks I tried swaping the relay and guess what the car would shift and I have had no problems since.

Now I just need to figure out what is causing the relay to malfunction. Thinking a short, bad ground, or pcm is on its way out.

Edited by 2000repairs

On 7/30/2014 at 12:10 PM, 2000repairs said:

I know its a little late to reply to the original poster about this problem but for others who are having similar issues you will be surprised to find out how I solved the same problem. I was having problems with intermittent starting where the car starter would not turn over.  I had the battery checked, replaced the starter, checked the fuses and the fuse box for corroison and all the other things that were suggested.

It turn out to be a relay, the pcm power relay to be specific. Relay number 31 in the owners guide for a 2000 Taurus. Interestingly the same relay went again on me yesterday and my car would start but not shift out of park, after the usual checks I tried swaping the relay and guess what the car would shift and I have had no problems since.

Now I just need to figure out what is causing the relay to malfunction. Thinking a short, bad ground, or pcm is on its way out.

Wow....I'm having exact problem here in 2020 ...Starts when it wants. I turn key (2000 Sable) and get all power but no crank at all. Went a week no problem now it's back. HELP. PCM Power relay?

There's a starter relay I would look into I believe. Also, I believe the transmission range sensor, if malfunctioning, can also prevent it. Are you experiencing any other issues?