SHO-WGN

Generation I And Ii 3.8L

Has anyone on this forum considered using a 4.2L V6 from the Freestar (there are many of these available even in our junkyards)? Or were the changes to the manifold height too large to fit? The engine itself specs out to be a stroked version of the 3.8 (3.74 up from the 3.39 inch). Has anyone (anyone, anyone) considered using the Roots style supercharger from the 1989-1995 Thunderbird SC (Super Coupe)? How about the split port cylinder heads introduced on the 1996 Windstar? Or the roller lifters on the Lincoln Continental? A lot of this stuff should be available in the junkyard by now and should theoretically benefit those of you with G1/2 Taurus and Sable. If memory serves me, the 4.2L engine in the Freestar put out 200 HP.

Where I live, the SHO is as scarce as the proverbial hen's tooth. Even Thunderbird SC's are rare (although I think I would want a new unit as opposed to thrashed.) Since some of the problems described in this forum involve the engine, maybe we should expand our thinking to stroking the 3.8L engine, using roller lifters, even supercharging.

If I missed it, has anyone documented such a modification? I mean, if you have to rebuild an engine anyway (good body), why not add a bit to it.

Now while I am at dreaming again, does anyone have the specs (specifically the bellhousing pattern) for the 3.5L/3.7L DOHC Cyclone/Duratec engines? That is, could one of us with a 3.0L Duratec engine swap a Cyclone engine into our older G3/4 Taurus/Sable? Yes I know while Taurus may have been one of the most popular vehicles on the road, the number of owners who might actually modify them is admittedly very small. But not zero! Later this spring I intend to purchase the lowering springs (group buy) for the black SEL project "winter beater". My reason for the delay is I want to be sure the car can handle being lowered.

Anyways here are some engine specifications:

3.0L V6 12V OHV (Vulcan):

1986-2008

Bore: 3.504

Stroke: 3.150

Bore Spacing: 4.330

Deck Height: 8.661

3.8L V6 12V OHV (Essex):

1982-2003

Bore: 3.810

Stroke: 3.390

Bore Spacing: 4.193

Deck Height: 9.232

3.0L V6 24V DOHC (SHO MTX):

1989-1995

Bore: 3.500

Deck Height: 8.660

3.2L V6 24V DOHC (SHO ATX):

1993-1995

Bore: 3.620

Deck Height: 8.660

4.2L V6 12V OHV (Essex):

1997-2007

Bore: 3.810

Stroke: 3.740

Bore Spacing: 4.193

Deck Height: 9.232

3.0L V6 24V DOHC (Duratec):

1996-2010

Bore: 3.504

Stroke: 3.130

Bore Spacing: 4.016

Deck Height: 8.189

3.5L V6 24V DOHC (Cyclone):

2006-2011

Bore: 3.642

Stroke: 3.413

Bore Spacing: 4.173

Deck Height: 8.970

3.7L V6 24V DOHC (Cylcone):

2007-2011

Bore: 3.760

Stroke: 3.413

Bore Spacing: 4.173

Deck Height: 8.970

Edited by SHO-WGN

There was a member on tcca that did a 4.2l. I can't remember who offhand though.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

With the 3.8 there are not many tuning options so it will be hard to integrate many upgrades. You will have to do more work there.

I believe the split port intake is too big.

I know of 1 person who has been putting a Super Coupe blower on but I have not seen it run yet. I see the engine packaging being hard with a lot of fabrication involved.

As for the Cyclone engines they are very different from the 3.0 so there would be a lot of wiring involved, may need custom mounts.

As for finding a SHO there are a few SHO guys in Canada that can help. You may just need to travel to get a SHO. Also there are few selling parts on the SHO Forum as well.

Edited by LOUDSHO92

There is a supercharged 3.8l Taurus that has run. I have videos of it on my old computer. Iirc he ended up going aftermarket on the engine management controls

There are kits for the RWD 3.8L to turn it into a 4.2L through a stroker kit.

I'm going to do a mega bump.

I think freestar bigger engine into a taurus may be physically easier than we're thinking it to be.

Remember, it's already mated up to an AX4N transmission ...

I'm assuming the weight would be near that of the vulcan since it has aluminum heads.

I'm going to do a mega bump.

I think freestar bigger engine into a taurus may be physically easier than we're thinking it to be.

Remember, it's already mated up to an AX4N transmission ...

I'm assuming the weight would be near that of the vulcan since it has aluminum heads.

Problem is the 4.2L has split port heads, meaning that it is taller than the 3.8L currently in the taurus/early windstar/Continental. Pretty much it is a SHO type intake, but the height will probably prevent it from fitting.

But is it taller than the SHO intake? The SHO fits after all... And They put the 4.2 into mustangs for a while didn't they?

Good excuse to get a carbon fiber cowl hood smile.gif.

I do beleive it is taller than the SHO V6

FPPESG462.JPG

Ford 4.2L

6441-2000-Ford-Mustang.jpg

3.8 with intake runners

Robert, consider the following...

The Ranger Station

Valve lengths are standard small block Ford, i.e., same as the old Ford flathead. Stem diameter is standard flathead 11/32".

This means that you can easily put a 1.84/1.56 set of valves in from Mustang GT40 heads.. Even 1.94/1.60s if you were feeling really racy ;)

Get more from your 3.8L

However - let's assume your 4.2L will fit in the Taurus... What do you do for a transmission? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Gen1/2 3.8's only came with AX4S's and they already burned those up with the stock 3.8. And you'll have to fight with the old computer which might not like the hopped up motor (especially if you put a cam in, ask us Mustang guys how much speed density computers like camshaft changes <_<) Your only other option is to swap the whole Freestar harness to get the AX4N transmission & OBD-II computer... but that sounds like a pain in the ass!

And here's the other kicker... 263 lb-ft of torque from the 4.2 will also boil an AX4N... Just google "Freestar transmission problems" and you'll see what I mean... It's like the Windstar crisis all over again.

Keep in mind I'm a biased source, I don't really like 3.8's... I think you're much better off picking a different engine to hop up.

Ian

Edited by ilh

Who cares about hood clearance when a bigger engine is crammed in the engine bay. Cut a hole in the hood. Least of the problems with an engine swap.

The thing to do, is to first, go to a Continental 3.8L since it comes with better heads and cylnders, 160HP instead of 140, it is pretty much the taurus cop engine. Then change the stroke to the 4.2L for more power.

So I know I’m late to the convo here but If anyone is still active at all I have a 1989 Taurus L with the 3.0L Vulcan. It has 51k miles on it original from 89 and had one owner via my granfather and he babied the hell out of it. My question to you is what should I do drivetrain wise?? I know all about the autos going around 80k and I need a plan🧐. Any recommendations??

(p.s. would prefer Manual)  ~Kyle

Edited by H00BJA

The 3.0L may not be a powerhouse, but it'll outlast the sun properly maintained. The only weak spot you've got is the AXOD, but with some preventive maintenance, you can keep it going.

I'd recommend regular ATF fluid changes about every 20K miles with Mercon V and adding a external transmission cooler. The transmission definitely runs a bit hotter than is useful naturally, which breaks down the fluid. If you do the above, you'll get plenty of miles out of it.

There's a member around here, Double Negative I believe, that had TecNickal's old '87 Taurus wagon that got five speed swapped, but I forget what the donor transmission was from. I do recall it could still chirp tires going into second though. :)

Edited by Kodachrome Wolf
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

The 3.0L may not be a powerhouse, but it'll outlast the sun properly maintained. The only weak spot you've got is the AXOD, but with some preventive maintenance, you can keep it going.

I'd recommend regular ATF fluid changes about every 20K miles with Mercon V and adding a external transmission cooler. The transmission definitely runs a bit hotter than is useful naturally, which breaks down the fluid. If you do the above, you'll get plenty of miles out of it.

There's a member around here, Double Negative I believe, that had TecNickal's old '87 Taurus wagon that got five speed swapped, but I forget what the donor transmission was from. I do recall it could still chirp tires going into second though. :)

Pretty sure it was the 5-speed transmission from a first gen Taurus SHO that he used. 

• Thanks 1