Skyflite

Engine Cleaning On 2002 Sable

This is my first thread as a new member and am looking forward to visiting and exchanging ideas with other Sable and Taurus owners. About a month ago I purchased a 2002 Sable GS with the standard 3.0 engine. I absolutely LOVE the car as it rides and drives very comfortably, is very quiet, and runs like it just came off the showroom floor (it has 123,000 miles on it). The dealer I purchased it from detailed the car pretty well but I would like to know what is a good way to clean the engine to make it look brand new (I'm very picky about my cars and always have been). What is a good engine cleaner and how is the best way to go about it? Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!

Im not sure whats the "best", but when i worked at my dealer, we just covered the battery, and big electrical connectors, and sprayed standard degreaser/wax and grease remover, everywhere, then just took a pressure washer and carefully sprayed it clean. looks like new everytime.

$had3 :ford::merc:others-261.gif

Edited by Shady_J

After some bad experiences with this, I switched over to spraying everything except belts and exhaust with WD40, and wiping it off with rags. No risk of electrical mayhem. Some corrosion protection too. YMMV.B)

Shade, that's how we do it at Volvo.

Welcome to the :tsoc: , Sky. Cute pooch! I have a Golden of my own :)

Shade, that's how we do it at Volvo.

Welcome to the :tsoc: , Sky. Cute pooch! I have a Golden of my own :)

Thanks Rusty! That pooch is Her Most Royal Regal Highness Maggie Gail Von Waggatail (aka Doofus). She's getting old; will be 13 next month. Was wondering if Gunk Engine Degreaser would do the trick on my engine? What I'm mainly interested in is getting the valve covers shining like they were when they were new. I bought the car from Car Mart and even though they did a fairly decent job on the rest of the car the engine detailing wasn't the best I've ever seen.

I just goto our self-serve car washes, they have degreaser s**t, and a pressure hose, just open the hood, and let er rip! The owners manual tells you what to Cover when washin the Engine. IIRC it's the Battery, Alternator, and fuse box. Then, I go in with Armor All wipes, and make the plastics and rubbers look pretty

I do all my underhood cleaning by hand. Rags and windex, armor all cleaner, or what ever I need to cut the dirt / grease. I also wax everything possible under the hood since I show the car through the summer. In the spring I will pull out as much as possible to reach into all the corners and hidden spots. I'll spend a weekend cleaning for the first time in the spring, just under the hood.