What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Narrowly avoided smashing 6 bunnies and tagging another buck this morning all within an 8 mile drive. The Wilwood brakes on the SVTC need a little heat to really bite. By bunny number 4, a tap on the brake pedal had all my gear sitting in the passenger seat thrown on the floorboards and my eyes straining to stay in their sockets. I hate this time of year. Deer are in rut and bouncing all over the place. Bunnies are some of the stupidest creatures. I think chickens are smarter.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

I hate how bunnies like to sit on the road. I think I mowed a few over on the backroads in the summer.

NOSHO killed a possum on the road last spring. It was crouched down in the middle of my lane driving through a local forest preserve, and as I came closer it stupidly sat up on hind legs to look at me. I heard a sudden *CLUNK* and after getting home found a bloody streak from the front subframe crossmember (just under the radiator) all the way back across both the engine and transaxle pans. Had to hose that mess off... :puke:

The only thing I have killed is a bird. And that bird committed suicide. It had flown past the front of my car as I was going about 35, it got past the car and then turned around and flew right into my path and Broke my fog light mount. I assume the bird didn't make it..

Put the old analog 140 speedometer back in today. All soldered connections now along with my "auxiliary" plug for additional lights to be added. That plug is however, giving trouble with giving me any illumination, despite two feeds having worked before hand on the 85 cluster. I might just run wires off the cluster from the points where the lights meet the circuit board for the two lights I need (ABS and O/D Off). It's no big deal right now, so I'm not overly concerned about doing it immediately.

vsYa5T9.jpg

Yes, I wrapped all the wires in electrical tape similar to how it originally was except I didn't use Ford's self destructing cloth sheathed "glue your fingers together" tape.

Also, a few people may know from the October meet I had a really crappy negative battery connector. It was at the point it was hard to get mounted correctly without coming loose. Well, I had to disconnect the battery while doing my work to prevent electrocution, and when I went to tighten it down, one side split apart from age/corrosion. I took the MKZ down to Advance Auto Parts and got a nice, new connector.

BNTArPb.jpg

I'll take care of the positive side a little later on since it doesn't look nearly as bad as the negative side did before it bit the dust.

I had that style replacement connector on the 2002, nothing but trouble. Damn thing kept coming loose and caused several no power events. I ended up redoing the entire wiring from the battery.

Zach - those cheap battery terminals are absolute garbage.  Sorry.  Next time you're here, if you buy the NAPA solder on ones - we can make an OE like connection that doesn't have some absurd design that will inevitably fail.  At least you have something now.

Zach - those cheap battery terminals are absolute garbage.  Sorry.  Next time you're here, if you buy the NAPA solder on ones - we can make an OE like connection that doesn't have some absurd design that will inevitably fail.  At least you have something now.

I hear you. This was a "well that happened" moment. Didn't help it was already 7:45 PM. I needed something until I could actually do both connectors. It wasn't until after it broke I was thinking about needing to get a replacement.

Hopefully it'll do its job for a while. I'll definitely grab those NAPA ones next time I'm out. Just let me know whenever you might be free some sunny day and I could drop by.

Maybe even those window regulators could be replaced. :ph34r:

I've parked the SVT Contour. My drive to and from work is always dark now and the busted headlights are only held in place by the wiring. And since the recent cold snap, the IAC valve has been acting up. After the car is warmed up, idle sits at 1300rpm and I get a rev flare between shifts. I cleaned it about a week ago which helped temporarily.

So now I'm driving my '01 Dakota, which has tags that are expired over a year. The heavy duty suspension with no load in the bed is stiffer than the race setup in the Contour.

• Like 1

That actually sounds like a really good deal...

Mmmmm.... 3L Contour :wub:

My "other vehicle" today was my friend's 1997 Chevy Tahoe. She told me about a problem she experienced while cruising on the freeway on Sunday night. She described that her check engine light was flashing and that the car was "shaking". I told her it was a misfire and tried to explain in layman's terms what that is. We found a shop that could get the truck in today and worked on and finished before thanksgiving break next week. The got it in, checked the codes, and called her and told her she needs a new engine. She has had a bad knocking/valve tick for a long time, but her parents didn't bother to fix it (they own the car). Anyway, the shop found a replacement engine for $1,000 and should have it in and done by Wednesday. 1997 Chevy Tahoe, roughly 115,000 miles, mostly city. Very little rust, which is unfortunate, but the leather interior is pretty worn. 

Small block Chevy with that few of miles and going bad, hard to believe since most people claim that those vortec 5700s are amazing.

I'm looking at my nephews '01 Silverado, about 150k miles. He was towing a boat this week when the engine began to lose power. He describes it as "dropped 3 cylinders". It starts right up. Sounds ok, but there is some bottom end noise which he has had for a while. When I briefly looked at it before, the noise seemed behind and below the engine, like an exhaust leak. It's not hitting on all cylinders, that's for sure. This kid doesn't know a thing about vehicle maintenance. I won't be surprised if it needs an engine.