Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

1337736803[/url]' post='47256']

I thought you liked how the van drifted a bit to the right :D

Since my sister is living with me for awhile, I looked the car over this evening. I have not cleaned, washed, vacuumed or detailed that car since 2007 (2000 Honda accord). She washes it occasionally with a half hearted effort. Don't think the interior has been dusted or wiped down since 2007.

Wow. The leather is cracked, dry and nasty, bird poop on paint. No gloss/luster to the paint at all. Dull. Wheels have clearcoat failure. Trash all over the interior. Lights have failing clearcoat

Tonight I applied Lexol conditioner three times on the butt cushion for the driver seat. The seat drank it up. The steering wheel I used lexol cleaner and conditioner. Disgusting nasty leather wrapped wheel. Unfortunately, since she never cleaned it, the contaminants ate through the leather coating layer so now there's a swash of colored leather missing, just dark at the top. It's at least clean now. Oh well, not my car...why do I bother caring...? rolleyes.gif

You just described the exact same poor condition of my sister's '02 when she had moved to London in 2009. sad.gif It's heartbreaking...

Since I share both the taurus and explorer with my sister, I have set very strict guide lines to be followed to insure this does not happen. What you described reminds me of the trucks at work, everything is just full of dirt and mud and never cleaned, just ran. I made a failed attempt today to clean out my assigned vehicle but it would take forever and I don't have time to clean out my work vehicle so I just have to spend hours on end sitting in a truck full of dirt and dust.

Edited by Thub

Damn, you folks would kill me if I brought you the Taurus for a detail :lol:

You mean the back seat is not a designated trash receptacle? Where's that pic of the McD's car?

1337738045[/url]' post='47266']

You mean the back seat is not a designated trash receptacle? Where's that pic of the McD's car?

Please refrain from posting that.

I filled 11x17x8 inch box full of old papers and garbage up from my truck at work, and its just a little extended cab Colorado, but I suppose when its not your vehicle you tend not to care as much.

Guest Jay144

I thought you liked how the van drifted a bit to the right :D

Since my sister is living with me for awhile, I looked the car over this evening. I have not cleaned, washed, vacuumed or detailed that car since 2007 (2000 Honda accord). She washes it occasionally with a half hearted effort. Don't think the interior has been dusted or wiped down since 2007.

Wow. The leather is cracked, dry and nasty, bird poop on paint. No gloss/luster to the paint at all. Dull. Wheels have clearcoat failure. Trash all over the interior. Lights have failing clearcoat

Tonight I applied Lexol conditioner three times on the butt cushion for the driver seat. The seat drank it up. The steering wheel I used lexol cleaner and conditioner. Disgusting nasty leather wrapped wheel. Unfortunately, since she never cleaned it, the contaminants ate through the leather coating layer so now there's a swash of colored leather missing, just dark at the top. It's at least clean now. Oh well, not my car...why do I bother caring...? rolleyes.gif

Naw....if it had drifted to the left, though.......

Your sister should be made to see and smell the interior of the Mr. Pac Man '95 Impala at LKQ that you liked so much.

Your car is a reflection of you....says a lot for your sister!!! Was she dropped on her head as an infant?

Guest Jay144

Had nothing to do this evening, so I waxed the Crown Vic....again. I did it a couple of weeks ago, but I decided to put a coat of Maguiar's #26 wax on her. The color pops right out at you now...along with an application of Turtle Wax Ice on all the black parts...I use the Ice for interior on the exterior parts (as well as the interior). Gives the black a nice deep dark shine.

222.jpg

203.jpg

208.jpg

Edited by Jay144

LOL that car smelled so bad....BARF.

BTW, That TW Ice stuff is very impressive. It does not make things sticky, look wet or nothing. Just a nice matte finish inside and out. Very impressive product.

Had nothing to do this evening, so I waxed the Crown Vic....again. I did it a couple of weeks ago, but I decided to put a coat of Maguiar's #26 wax on her. The color pops right out at you now...along with an application of Turtle Wax Ice on all the black parts...I use the Ice for interior on the exterior parts (as well as the interior). Gives the black a nice deep dark shine.

222.jpg

203.jpg

208.jpg

Yea, white walls and basket style alloys. :wub:

Shades of the good old days.

Love it.

-chart-

Guest Jay144

Took the Caravan over to Costco to get the tires balanced and rotated. Found out that Costco has a policy (which they don't advertise) that if tires are over 5 years old, they will no longer balance and rotate them for liability reasons. That sucks! The Michelin HydroEdges on the Caravan are 6 years old, with 50,000 miles on 'em...they are warranted for 90,000 miles. So, I have to take it to Goodyear and pay the $55 for the lifetime balancing and rotation.

I did take the Edge, which has Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds with 54,000 miles on them so far, over to Goodyear to get the 5000 mile balance and rotation. No problems there.

The Focus, which has the Zetec DOHC engine, currently has 150,000 miles on it, with the original timing belt. The Goodyear place will replace the belt and the water pump for $450. So, it's going over there in the next day or so for that. I must point out that this is my 23 year old son's car. It wouldn't get any maintenance done to it at all if it wasn't for me. I don't think he's washed it or cleaned the interior for well over a year, at least. It's disgusting. I won't ride in it. I've offered to clean the exterior and interior, bringing it up to MY standards for the very cheap price of $100. He hasn't taken me up on my offer. I told him if he waits any longer, the price is going up to at least $150. I don't think he gives a s**t. Where did I go wrong???

Edited by Jay144

Guest Jay144

Thanks, Chart. I'm happy with it, too. Although, I have to say, if the right year Mustang GT convertible comes along with the right color and equipment, I may have to try a trade for that......

Edited by Jay144

Thanks, Chart. I'm happy with it, too. Although, I have to say, if the right year Mustang GT convertible comes along with the right color and equipment, I may have to try a trade for that......

One thing for sure: no whitewalls on a Mustang :angry:

Everything has a place. (kidding)

Last rear wheel drive I drove was a '97 Tbrid with the 4.6. I drove it about 500 miles for my daughter. Really nice drive.

-chart-

Guest Jay144

Definitely no white walls on a Mustang....maybe Goodyear Eagles with raised white lettering, though...

Guest Jay144

The Focus got the new timing belt and water pump. It was a good thing it was done, as the old belt had many cracks. It would not have lasted much longer, that's for sure.

Came to $475 for everything.....and, the boy actually took the car to the full service car wash and got the works. Thirty five dollars later, it looks much, much better.

Edited by Jay144

The Focus, which has the Zetec DOHC engine, currently has 150,000 miles on it, with the original timing belt. The Goodyear place will replace the belt and the water pump for $450. So, it's going over there in the next day or so for that. I must point out that this is my 23 year old son's car. It wouldn't get any maintenance done to it at all if it wasn't for me. I don't think he's washed it or cleaned the interior for well over a year, at least. It's disgusting. I won't ride in it. I've offered to clean the exterior and interior, bringing it up to MY standards for the very cheap price of $100. He hasn't taken me up on my offer. I told him if he waits any longer, the price is going up to at least $150. I don't think he gives a s**t. Where did I go wrong???

My son should have had to go through what I did. My first car was a 1973 2-door Ford Maverick- no power windows, 4 wheel drum brakes, no A/C, no power steering, AM radio with mono speaker in the center of the dash, two speed windshield wipers ( on and slow), manual choke, points distributer and dimmer switch in the floor. Every 20 miles or so I had to pull out the fouled sparkplugs to wire brush them and regap. Every few months I had to re-solder the brass radiator at the seems. One front brake drum would lock up in the rain. Every tire was the best pick from the pile behind the gas station. The rod shifter would pop out of the mounting points causing two good gears- reverse and neutral. I drove this car for two years before wrapping it around a light pole and drive it for one more year after that. I maintained it the best I could at $4.25 a hour part time. My son has open the hood maybe twice in 4 years, and that was to get a jump start. Thank God 'white trash' been a tough car.

Change the rear brake pads on wife's Sonata. Weird, the outside ones where worn more than the inside ones... ? I did lubricate the sliding pins again - they seemed OK.

Lube also the faces between the caliper and bracket (top and bottom).

I always lube the slides where the pads are gliding in the bracket, but for some reason, the "outside" grease looks gets more dirt... Maybe because is ouside.Weird is that that's the side that is worn more...

Disc gets more rust on that side (from sitting not used that much)? The inner side has that shield on...Outside is exposed and car has alloy wheels, with big spaces between spokes.

Edited by SoNic

I always lube the slides where the pads are gliding in the bracket, but for some reason, the "outside" grease looks gets more dirt... Maybe because is ouside.Weird is that that's the side that is worn more...

Disc gets more rust on that side (from sitting not used that much)? The inner side has that shield on...Outside is exposed and car has alloy wheels, with big spaces between spokes.

This may be normal for one side to wear more than the other to some extent.

Just add one very unusual event.

Friend called and asked me to look at his car brakes. Chrysler product.

One front outside pad was wearing out quickly but not the other pads.

He showed me the guide pins are free, and he had greased them with special grease but it did not help. This was a repeat failure.

The pads fit freely in the yoke.

I had him put the caliper on with no pads, tighten the bolts to the guide pins and you could not move the caliper, it was just bound. Loosen the bolts and it would glide OK but not perfect. I suspect a guide pin was bent, mis aligned, or the caliper/yoke was not machined correctly.

I suggested and he did: buy new yoke and caliper. Problem solved.

He later told me it made a large difference in gas mileage.

Just a thought.

-chart-

Replaced bad wheel bearing and brake shoes on the work truck (99 E-150) and improved mileage about 40%. Now it has a whine I need to address, cause the axle appears to have been worn down by the bad bearing and still has play in it.

This Ford is weird, cause the bearing is sealed w/ grease in it, isolated from the lube in the chunk. When did this change?

I had him put the caliper on with no pads, tighten the bolts to the guide pins and you could not move the caliper, it was just bound. Loosen the bolts and it would glide OK but not perfect. I suspect a guide pin was bent, mis aligned, or the caliper/yoke was not machined correctly.

-chart-

Thanks, that makes some sense (for my future refference).

In my case I didn't even take the caliper off, I removed the whole assambly (caliper+bracket) and replaced the pads in there (from inside the braket). I do that all the time, saves me unbolting the caliper bolts and let me grease the pins. Caliper was sliding freely.

Edited by SoNic

Changed the oil/filter in my Jeep. I usually use Castrol GTX, but Costco had a sale on Shell($24/case), so that's what I used. Also treated a few surface rust spots while I was under there.

Lets see... on Friday I installed 2 Polk Audio speakers up front in the Caliber. WOW. They sounds great over what I had before, and sound even better than I imagined for not having an amp or anything in the car. For just being two door speakers, the bass sure does bump. I'd definitely say they're up there with the Rockford Fosgates I had in the Durango.

Yesterday, I finally got around to installing and getting my Sirius antenna hooked up. Called Sirius to subscribe and it turned out that the MyGIG radio I put in a while back never had it's complimentary trial used when the car was purchased! So I get 3 months free! Already loving it.

After that I installed my new backup camera. Makes backing into parking spots and out of driveways a snap. Owning a hatchback sucks for blind spots and backing up. dry.gif Now it's easier than ever. Even has 6 IR LEDs on it that switch on at night for even better lighting.

Where are the pics man????