Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

995115_10201433621384249_862427852_n.jpg

Dropped her off! At least she'll come back all fixed up! This shop is amazing. Not only will all repairs be made, but they also touch up all scratches, dents and dings for no additional cost, as well as a free full interior and exterior detailing! They said they may even fix my rust spot from a paint chip on the rear quarter panel for free as well, depending on how much work is involved. From what I can tell, not many shops do that, but hey, even if they all do, thats awesome!

Wow...I'm tempted to drive to Michigan to get my future repairs done at this shop lol.

Zain%282%290.jpg
  • Like 1

Apparently they are the best place to go from the things I have heard. I walked into the building and I thought I was in a lawyers office.

... and no lowering. If anything I wish it could be a little higher. I love how it's higher than most cars are stock. Keep in mind, 6' 7" getting into a lowered car? Hahahaha.

Finally clean. I must have removed ~100 pounds of crap from the trunk and floors.

IMG_20130707_153732_585.jpg

• Like 1

9244812444_28bbecf934.jpg

9242031559_f48b55f223.jpg

The metal was flaking off. The previous owner probably wore a ring. I checked with the dealer for a new knob. $375. Not hap'nin.

9242033789_fe496e1c8f.jpg

My masking tape didn't stick that well. I used etching primer and aerosol can bed liner. Has a nice grippy texture. We'll see how long it lasts.

20130708_214405_zpseb8998d5.jpg

I finally got the parking bake shoes today! I got one installed. I hate this design with a passion. I had to take apart the differential. Witch i was trying to avoid.

My goal is getting it done this week. i still got a bunch of wiring to do. before i can take it to get the enhanced inspection sine its a salvage vehicle.

Wow for some reason this is mixed up. Can't enter in my other computer.

This does not look good.

Rust in spark plug hole. Engine still hot.

need to cool before removing the plug to see why.

-chart-

LinPlug13_zps8547ca90.jpgchart

Edited by -chart-

Anyone seen anything like this. Plug loose in hole. Leaking combustion gasses out. No apparent damage. -chart-LinPlugB13_zps146a1fc0.jpg

OK swabbed the thread hole with a flex snake grabber and WD, then the hole to clean it up.

Used plug that was good one back in the hole with antiseize, tightened it up and runs perfect.

Rears on the Intech are a real pain, but little patience gets it done. 4 3/8" extensions, one in after the other to reach bottom.

Then remove them one at a time and hope to not loose one down the hole.

In my first pic, there is a strut brace across the area. I removed the rod and it made access. Mirror on a pole, flashlight and I could see down the hole to note that it was clean.

Wheeew, glad to be done that that disaster. Glad it happened at home. Of course a loose plug has been that way a long time, just time got right for it to misfire. And while taking my '03 to the A/C shop to be fixed, 3 drivers and one car and that one lame. Gotta 300 mile trip Friday and need wheels, reliable wheels.

Sleep better tonight.

Guy at the A/C shop said he had seen several DOHC clutch bearing failures.

-chart-

Looks like water was getting back there. Do you rinse the engine of regularly? Maybe the different thermal expansion of the steel vs aluminum plus the pooled water caused the plug to loosen and back out. Just a guess.

Looks like water was getting back there. Do you rinse the engine of regularly? Maybe the different thermal expansion of the steel vs aluminum plus the pooled water caused the plug to loosen and back out. Just a guess.

Wet only in one hole. Cover is gasketed water tight on this car. Never been wet.

Plug was loose in the threads. Combustion gass has lots of water in it. That water is trapped inside the sealed area. Most other COP are open and COP held on with a screw. These are covered with a aluminum cover that is a heat sink and also holds the COP down on the plug. Whole area is sealed.

I was really afraid the plug was stuck in the head and would break, or pull the thread out of the aluminum. I was so surprised when I put the rachet on the extension and started to pull and it had no resistance, just free to thread out. Since I did not check to tighten it first before loosening it, do not know just how loose it was. All other plugs took a hard pull on the 3/8" rachet. Not a long handle so not really big torque, but plenty tight.

When I got this car at 40K, I pulled the front plugs to check for condition. Plugs really clean. However, one of the three completely different from the other three. Different wire, different part number. I put them back and planned to replace them all with the correct plug but just never got around to it. Ran ok. If I had done the plugs back then, I would have found this loose plug.

Let's see. from 47K to 56K, alternator fail, strut fail, rad cap fail, ign switch key sense switch fail, now this.

Strange, no codes, no pending codes. Then my wife says, she felt it run bad last Sun, but forgot to mention it.

Oh well.

Cars are a PAIN!

-chart-

The joys of owning disposable cars :)

At least you didn't need a new compressor on your 01 and 03 chart...that would have gotten pricey.

My 2000s compressor is making racket, doesn't provide cold air anymore either. I was a bozo and added a can with sealer, and it still leaks. Figures.

The joys of owning disposable cars :)

At least you didn't need a new compressor on your 01 and 03 chart...that would have gotten pricey.

My 2000s compressor is making racket, doesn't provide cold air anymore either. I was a bozo and added a can with sealer, and it still leaks. Figures.

Well, yes the '03 needed a new comp. Bearing froze and turned on the comp housing. Rather sudden, no noise, then really noisy.

Yes expensive. 4.8 hours labor for remove and replace, and then all the other. I decided to go with reciever/dryer and all the other, leak test, and road test. Cools really nice now and should be reliable for a long time.

Hope problems come in bunches and hope this one is over.

300 mile trip, then 1300 mile trip this month in the Lin.

-chart-

Have a safe trip in the Lincoln and enjoy the ice cold air.

Where are you travelling if you don't mind me asking?

Have a safe trip in the Lincoln and enjoy the ice cold air.

Where are you travelling if you don't mind me asking?

Lexington KY for family reunion at a motel there. Kind of central location. One driving from Chicago, one from N. Georgia, one from W. WV, 3 from W. KY, and one flying from FL.

Lin having 5 problems in 9K miles is a bit sick. Most unrelated issue, and uncommon fails. Probably won't get around to doing the right front strut before the trip but the new one is sitting in my shop waiting. No sign of a leak in that one. (yet).

Happy motoring.

-chart-

A few weeks ago I tried using the horn in the cop car and got nothing. Looking into it at home I found that one of them was still making a faint sound. I had 12 volts at the connectors, so I decided the horns were bad. These weren't the originals, I pulled these (plus the wiring) off a later CVPI because when I bought mine it had only one horn and its terminals were rusted off, and the wiring going to it was chewed up and the connector corroded.

Since I'd never seen the inside of a car horn, I pried them apart. This is what I found:

Badhorns_zps5273668e.jpg

Guess the seals don't last.

I'm not in a position to pay $80 apeice for OEM-style horns from O'Reilly's, so the $10 ones from Fleet Farm will do.

Newhorns_zpsbe978806.jpg

These have regular blade connectors instead of the weird pin-and-ring system the stock ones used, so I had to do some rewiring (again) to make the universal replacements work in the same manner as the old ones.

They work and they sound about the same as the standard Ford horns.

Edited by Stocker

I need a good loud horn for my car. Mine is kinda raspy, and I just don't think it gets my point across when I use it (which is actually more frequently than I'd like).

My horns are all pretty good. If any of my Horns die, I'll replace it with the Delco Remy 4 note horns found in Buicks and Cadillacs back when GM knew how to make Buicks.

• Like 1

My horns are all pretty good. If any of my Horns die, I'll replace it with the Delco Remy 4 note horns found in Buicks and Cadillacs back when GM knew how to make Buicks.

I wouldve said....and cadillacs, but the ht4100 engine ruined them :(

Jeff

I need a good loud horn for my car. Mine is kinda raspy, and I just don't think it gets my point across when I use it (which is actually more frequently than I'd like).

These sounded clear and full to me, but I only tried it for a split second so as not to disturb the neighborhood.

I wouldve said....and cadillacs, but the ht4100 engine ruined them :(

Jeff

Yes, but the Roadmaster got the ever so dependable and flexible LT1 350. I will always have a special place for the Roadmaster. It was the perfect car ever built. With such comfort, luxury, style, and power.

I wouldn't mind a Caddy, but I don't wanna deal with the Northstar FWD FTL.

The Roadmaster also featured the four note Delco Remy horns. My grandpa's Roadmaster had it, and it was my favorite thing on that car. Next favorite being how incredibly comfortable the car was. Man, the more I think about it, the more I wanna sell my Taurus for one, and the Taurus hasn't been giving me any issues as of right now, so I need to stop it :lol:

I strongly disagree with you there. The car will always look good. Looks better than the Grand Marquis/Crown Vic for sure. Looks amazing, big RWD car. Give me that classic any day, especially with the LT1, that alone will smoke the Panther Platforms :P

I strongly disagree with you there. The car will always look good. Looks better than the Grand Marquis/Crown Vic for sure. Looks amazing, big RWD car. Give me that classic any day, especially with the LT1, that alone will smoke the Panther Platforms :P

Nope. Roadmaster is governed to 108MPH...

You can drop a blower on any 4.6L pretty easy with proper funding and it should have no problem running with that big 5.7.

I agree with you kevin, a guy down my road has a Road Master. It's such a boat but I bet it's super roomy and comfortable, just like my friends dad's "Caprice SS". Those cars all need major suspension work to make them ride better though, the stock grandma ride is no good, not to mention the body roll a big car like that will have with that soft suspension.