Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Looks like an absolute minimum of 20 years of age to rent a car around here. I'm 4 months too young. :( Still looking for alternative transportation while it's in the shop.

The shop where you have the work done might be able to provide you with a loaner.

Also I don't know too much about the subs but I am almost certain one of those (I'm assuming there are two in there) is going/gone haven't really looked into it much at all but seems a little lacking lately.

The subs are 6x9 Polk Audio. Two 6x9 subs with two 6x9 "passive radiators". They don't handle a lot of bass. I think that unit is from the late 80's early 90's. It was high end in it's day.

The shop where you have the work done might be able to provide you with a loaner.

They don't, and any shops that do, the minimum age is still 20.

That's bullcrap they can't rent you a car, especially since it's because yours was damaged and not your fault. The age to rent here is 20 as well, actually it might be 25, but the shops will still loan you a car.

Can you just rent it under your mom's name instead? We had to do something similar while my sister's car was in the shop while she was in college- was 21-22 years old at the time IIRC.

Can you just rent it under your mom's name instead? We had to do something similar while my sister's car was in the shop while she was in college- was 21-22 years old at the time IIRC.

Well, with my luck, in the event that something happened to the car, I'm not sure what would happen. Also, I don't know if she'd go for that.... plus having to drag her down here to get the car for me for a few days, hour drive there, hour back. She's not really one for unnecessary road trips. :P

Rent the car, let your mother drive it, use her car. Kinda had to do that when I wrecked the F-250, though I just drove the Suburban since it was winter and I didn't need AC.

Lota extra driving in a vehicle that doesn't get good MPG.

Devin - call up U Haul and ask for the cheapest smallest truck to rent...

Or check at Lowes/Homedepot to borrow one of those flatbed trucks lol

Rent the car, let your mother drive it, use her car. Kinda had to do that when I wrecked the F-250, though I just drove the Suburban since it was winter and I didn't need AC.

Drive a gas-guzzling 4.7L V8 with gas prices over $4/gal? :ohnoes:

I'm still exploring some options.

983583_10200923892195087_1029408049_n.jpg
  • Like 2

20130612_155542_zps58c041e9.jpg

Still looks good to me.... next week i got to hit up the junk yard. for a spare and a rear windshield wiper arm.

IMAG2953_zpsff9b9d89.jpg

Headlight buff and oil change on the ZN today. The foggy headlight pictured was the better of the two.

IMAG2954_zpseebeb1a1.jpg

IMAG2957_zps13cb0500.jpg

IMAG2956_zps38d11c85.jpg

Turned out pretty good. It's looking like my niece is going to be buying this car.

20130612_155542_zps58c041e9.jpg

Still looks good to me.... next week i got to hit up the junk yard. for a spare and a rear windshield wiper arm.

Explorer Parking brake shoes?

Your lucky they weren't in pieces. My generation of truck is known to have the parking brake shoes completely fall apart from rust and then bang around inside the disc, to the point that when you take it apart the shoes are gone.

Explorer Parking brake shoes?

Your lucky they weren't in pieces. My generation of truck is known to have the parking brake shoes completely fall apart from rust and then bang around inside the disc, to the point that when you take it apart the shoes are gone.

I was shocked to find shoes. The parking brake on these are a pain. I'm trying to avoid taking out the Shafts when i get the new shoes.

New strut, driver's side KYB strut, identical to factory one except new one has pressure.

55K miles and oil all the way down to the spindle.

Pics in another post later.

Tired. Old coot and manual screw compressors, I used 4 of them at one time. Electric impact to run them down.

Seems to be fine now in the bounce test.

Pas side no sign of leak of oil and it makes no noise while bouncing.

When pressure is lost, they go swish swish as the fluid foams.

-chart-

I was shocked to find shoes. The parking brake on these are a pain. I'm trying to avoid taking out the Shafts when i get the new shoes.

I suppose your standard live axle has a different hub setup and backing plate than the IRS on my truck.

Got the remaining wiring removed from my Contour. Had to remove the bumper cover, header panel, radiator, cooling fans, upper intake, and more over the last 2 days but it is all out. Now to put the new wiring in, already know I have to modify the harness for the parking lights since they went from the out sides of the headlights to the inner sides. There shouldn't be much more under the hood to change though. Only things left after that is done is to swap the fuel tank and the evap canister, which I will do after I know the car runs.

My Avalon would sit for a month at a time or more when I had my trailblazer. During that time the PCV valve stuck and I started noticing oil consumption(it leaks so originally put it down to that). Anyways, long story short I replaced the PCV which has cured the excessive oil consumption and figured I may as well change all the plugs due to the earlier mentioned issue. I had driven it a little while before realizing the culprit and in hindsight feel dumb that the fix was so easy. The Denso iridium plugs I pulled out looked horrible. Im surprised the car didnt have a misfire. It has been sluggish lately so I was quite sure the oil burning did them in. They only had about 40k on them and were last serviced by Toyota. Anyway, the rear three were a royal pain. I found one loose coil on the front during disassembly(either bolt worked loose or was never tight). Had to use a 1/2 breaker on one plug bc he-man mustve installed it) Anti seize and dilectric grease were used upon reinstallation and I used NGK Laser Iridium plugs rather than Denso. It specs either one in the manual. Anxious to see if performance is back. Should see my MPGs return as well.... Just an afternoons work! Check your PCV system often. I will from now on out....I had serviced mine 15k miles ago, but I drive so little that it was almost 3 years ago time wise....

Jeff

Thursday evening I attempted my first oil change on the Kompressor. The car has a large splash guard preventing easy access to the lower drain. The dealership uses a fluid extractor from the top. There is no dipstick in this car, just a small cap on the extraction tube. To check the oil level, the engine must be warm and has sat for 5 minutes before the info center on the dash reports the oil level.

I picked up a cheap fluid transfer device from Harbor Freight (first mistake). It was even on sale. I figured for $5.99, even if it breaks after one oil change it was still worth it. My friend has one in his shop. He warned me, but also gave me some advice. The supplied hoses are too small and flexible to suck even warm oil. But I didn't have time to go out and find replacement hoses. So I pumped away... about 300 pumps in and 1/2-3/4 of the oil out, the bottom seal on the pump breaks and sprays me with warm oil. I move on to trying to remove the oil filter cartridge. It sits on top of the engine tucked under the cowl and firewall. It's supposed to come off with a 27mm socket or crescent wrench. Neither work. Afraid I'll break something as daylight fades, I give up.

I'm stuck at work all weekend and the car sits in the driveway. Gave me a good excuse to ride the motorcycle all week.

I've done little things here and there when I found time. I worked a 12 hour day in Ocean City, MD on Saturday. I've gone down there for work a few times lately and the kids have never seen the ocean so I went again Sunday with them. Had plans to do some things this weekend, but oh well. Saab got an 8 hour work out and didn't miss a beat.

The Thunderbird got both door panels ripped off. I've had an inop passenger power mirror since I got the car. Passenger window has been off track as well. I windshield sealed the window back on track and noticed no wires coming through from the mirror. Found the harness and traced it out. All wires were cut and taped to the door, bare. I made a harness and put it in expecting to have a bad motor. It worked just fine. I'm not sure the thought process on that one. I also fixed a few power issues on my radio so I can listen to that again. Next order of business is to plastic weld some bits together and then put everything back together.

Took the lady friend on her first real journey in the Thunderbird. Gave her all 26 psi and she freaked. I had fun though. Took her to a scenic overlook by site Raven Rock. Haven't been there in years other then passing by for work inside the gate of site R twice.

IMG_20130621_202726_219.jpg

Edited by three50one

Always will be a cool looking Thunderbird. Neat man - nice to have cheap e-z fixes.

I'd love to learn to plastic weld. My 2000 Taurus A pillar covers need that job done.

Bought a New in the box Ford Block heater kit specific to the 2002-2005 Ford Explorer V6, heater, mounts, cables, the whole deal for $40. Ford quit selling the kit and now wants $50 just for the heater, and another $50 for each segment of the cord, not including the mounts.

There are a few things I wanted to have to get done to that vehicle this summer and adding a block heater is 1 of them, should help get the juices flowing quicker on those bitter cold U.P winter mornings.

I know it is domestic rice and V-Tec YO! But I did some detail work on the lady's 2004 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe and the cousin's 2002 Acura RSX.

The Cavalier got a full detail. Took me about 6.5 hours to complete. Even took out the seats to repaint the seat base that was all rusty. Looks really good now. (For a Chevy)

rcppxz.jpg

whi4b5.jpg

ibxamw.jpg

The Acura I did not have enough time to spend on it. The main thing was getting the headlights taken care of. They came out very well.

316147m.jpg

2rpdyk8.jpg

nfs4km.jpg

I don't intend to sound douchey, but lawdy Cavaliers are ugly. I can't stand those things.