What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Funny thing, the horn is required to work to pass, but the airbag is not. It's a federally mandated safety feature on all vehicles, but it's not required to pass state inspection.... confused.gif Texas has a fairly strict vehicle safety inspection, but it has some silly loopholes. For example, the windshield may have a hole no larger than a baseball as long as it doesn't interfere with the driver's direct outward vision or the windshield wipers. No windshield? No problem, as long as the wipers are removed, it isn't inspectable! If just one of the running lights on the cab of your F250 is out, FAIL. Highmount rear brake light out on your Accord, PASS.

Can't patch a small hole in your muffler here in Pa. I've seen them fail because of ignorant techs seeing a factory weep hole. You have to replace it. Though you can wrap header wrap around a rusted out exhaust pipe and pass just fine. I may or may not have done this......today.

I catch hell for not having a third brake light on my Merkur. My cries fall on deaf ears when I say 85 isn't required to have one.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

Well, in my quest to make Lil Red a casual daily driver I have had to do some updates. Since she was a garage queen, she needs some TLC to be more reliable.

So far I have done the following, New tires, New door and hatch lock cylinders, New door speakers, and 2 new sensors (speed & crank positioning).

Still on line to be completed is, Complete re-build of the power steering rack, Re-seal the rear hatch glass in the frame (a common problem with these cars) and of course vital fluids,oil, water, power steering and brake fluid.

I dont feel to bad about doing these repairs since this is a 25 year old car. The power steering re-build is also a common issue with these cars, the bad part is you can only use Porsche power steering oil ($25 / liter) or you will really mess up the pump too. The rear hatch just has a small rubber seal and an aluminum frame, over time the window pulls away and needs to be re-set in the rubber & aluminum frame. Just some of the details needed to enjoy Lil Red daily.

1349304265[/url]' post='54909']

Well, in my quest to make Lil Red a casual daily driver I have had to do some updates. Since she was a garage queen, she needs some TLC to be more reliable.

So far I have done the following, New tires, New door and hatch lock cylinders, New door speakers, and 2 new sensors (speed & crank positioning).

Still on line to be completed is, Complete re-build of the power steering rack, Re-seal the rear hatch glass in the frame (a common problem with these cars) and of course vital fluids,oil, water, power steering and brake fluid.

I dont feel to bad about doing these repairs since this is a 25 year old car. The power steering re-build is also a common issue with these cars, the bad part is you can only use Porsche power steering oil ($25 / liter) or you will really mess up the pump too. The rear hatch just has a small rubber seal and an aluminum frame, over time the window pulls away and needs to be re-set in the rubber & aluminum frame. Just some of the details needed to enjoy Lil Red daily.

German engineering. biggrin.gif

Thank god we don't have inspections here in Michigan.

I've been to Michigan.... and thank God we have state inspections in Texas. I've seen what y'all drive up there, and it ain't pretty.

Kyle, LOOKS GOOD, I like the new ride. Were gonna have to hook up & see how my new toy runs with the pony's....... LOL

Godfather, LOOKS SHARP. I always like the CTS, but up here you only see them in black. Silver is a nice change.

Kyle, LOOKS GOOD, I like the new ride. Were gonna have to hook up & see how my new toy runs with the pony's....... LOL

Godfather, LOOKS SHARP. I always like the CTS, but up here you only see them in black. Silver is a nice change.

thanks brother it is a V" series cts 5.7L ..LS6 ..6 SPEED.. FUN TO DRIVE LOL

l_f8abcd9dbe524dfe906b003c2d84ae35.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I got the first of several packages from Rock Auto today for my engine mount swap and front end rebuild. My 2000 Avalon XLS has only 129K on it, but I figure the front end has to need some attention by now. It still drives fine, but I use this car for interstate travel and I can't have it losing a tie rod or ball joint, etc while I'm on the road. The hydraulic engine mount is leaking as well and it has caused the dogbone torque strut to rip so those are needed at this time. I went with Beck Arnley mounts and so far out of the box they are Toyota OEM repacked units. The front end parts haven't arrived yet, but they were sorta proud of some of those so I went with AutoPart International...I hope that they hold up. I've never tried that brand before...usually Moog or TRW is what I use. That's about all that I've got on my dinner plate for the upcoming week as far as car maintenance goes. I hope.

EDIT: I've never seen or really paid attention to the engine in a CTS-V, but surely it couldn't have came with those CORVETTE engine covers....at least in the past Cadillac might have reused a powertrain, but they made their own brand engine cover.... Did it really come that way? A quick google search reveals that cadillac did have it's own cover. Did you swap it to Corvette covers?

Jeff

Well, I got the first of several packages from Rock Auto today for my engine mount swap and front end rebuild. My 2000 Avalon XLS has only 129K on it, but I figure the front end has to need some attention by now. It still drives fine, but I use this car for interstate travel and I can't have it losing a tie rod or ball joint, etc while I'm on the road. The hydraulic engine mount is leaking as well and it has caused the dogbone torque strut to rip so those are needed at this time. I went with Beck Arnley mounts and so far out of the box they are Toyota OEM repacked units. The front end parts haven't arrived yet, but they were sorta proud of some of those so I went with AutoPart International...I hope that they hold up. I've never tried that brand before...usually Moog or TRW is what I use. That's about all that I've got on my dinner plate for the upcoming week as far as car maintenance goes. I hope.

EDIT: I've never seen or really paid attention to the engine in a CTS-V, but surely it couldn't have came with those CORVETTE engine covers....at least in the past Cadillac might have reused a powertrain, but they made their own brand engine cover.... Did it really come that way? A quick google search reveals that cadillac did have it's own cover. Did you swap it to Corvette covers?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff ,

I replaced the caddy cover with the corvette covers .. the caddy cover covered too much of the engine for my taste and being this motor was the same motor that was in the Z06 corvette

i figured i would add a little eye catching red to it :rolleyes:.. 2005 CTS-V

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoS22.21QFTYA266JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3D2005%2BCTS-V%2BENGINE%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701-1%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D297&w=1024&h=768&imgurl=i196.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa76%2Fclevelandpap%2F07-328%2Fctsv3.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lateral-g.net%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php4%3Ft%3D20342&size=106.8+KB&name=05+Cadillac+CTS-V+5.7L+LS6+Engine+%26amp%3B+6+Speed+Trans+18K+-+Lateral-g+...&p=2005+CTS-V+ENGINE&oid=a80948df9189c9dfa330395536632883&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-701-1&tt=05%2BCadillac%2BCTS-V%2B5.7L%2BLS6%2BEngine%2B%2526amp%253B%2B6%2BSpeed%2BTrans%2B18K%2B-%2BLateral-g%2B...&b=271∋=108&no=297&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11n23q6fe&sigb=13euog51n&sigi=11up8864e&.crumb=ZR7N0W9DCQG

Edited by Godfather

I didn't say it looked bad. I wouldn't put GM past doing something like that from the factory because they are the king of one size fits all in the GM lineup across the board. It is your car and I have no business dictating what you do to your car. I was just asking a question. Having owned the "standard of the world" in many forms I have some views that not everyone cares to digest about the new Cadillac cars. These new Cadillac's are not true "standard of the world" cars. I've owned newer and older.....I prefer them built from around 1954-1970(really probably 1964). Those are true "standard of the world" cars and you could order em with anything, in any color(even from other car makes or models), with any interior(even your own fabric/leather using samples you provided to Cadillac). Buying a Cadillac back then was a very personal buying experience. Nowadays we all just herd to the lot and buy whatever they have available...which is why new cars all look alike and are slightly boring really.

Here's my list:

1956 Cadillac 6219X Sedan DeVille(90% restored to stock then sold to faciliate buying a nicer car)

1956 Cadillac 6019X Fleetwood Sixty Special(original 37K mile survivor car in number 2 condition...fully loaded with what everyone calls "modern options" today. It was a true pleasure to own and drive. Totally cool stuff that we cant even get today was on that car.)

1955 Cadillac 8619 Commercial Chassis(S&S Conversion Victoria Hearse)(still a project, but what a presence for your last ride)

1954 Cadillac 6219X Coupe DeVille(90% done with restoration and my current Cadillac project. Again fully loaded with every "modern" amenity)

1983 Cadillac Coupe DeVille D'Elegance(HT4100 POS. I still have it only because they crushed most all of them. It might be like the studebaker and edsel cars one day)

1995 Cadillac STS(fine under warranty, but started going south after)

2002 Cadillac CTS(had what seemed like an incurable oil leak off the lot, but otherwise an "okay" car, but not great since it would pour smoke from under the hood in traffic due to the same oil leak..they finally resolved it after a 2200.00 tear down(luckily warranty paid).

I gave up after giving them a chance in 2002 on that CTS. I know you didn't ask for me to write any of this. It's not directed at you or your car...just my thoughts about newer cars in general. It'd be nice if it were a more personal undertaking. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to order a car today that had all the mods you'd ever want to put on it; put on it from the factory? I actually kind of dig bringing that kind of personal service back.

Jeff

I didn't say it looked bad. I wouldn't put GM past doing something like that from the factory because they are the king of one size fits all in the GM lineup across the board. It is your car and I have no business dictating what you do to your car. I was just asking a question. Having owned the "standard of the world" in many forms I have some views that not everyone cares to digest about the new Cadillac cars. These new Cadillac's are not true "standard of the world" cars. I've owned newer and older.....I prefer them built from around 1954-1970(really probably 1964). Those are true "standard of the world" cars and you could order em with anything, in any color(even from other car makes or models), with any interior(even your own fabric/leather using samples you provided to Cadillac). Buying a Cadillac back then was a very personal buying experience. Nowadays we all just herd to the lot and buy whatever they have available...which is why new cars all look alike and are slightly boring really.

Here's my list:

1956 Cadillac 6219X Sedan DeVille(90% restored to stock then sold to faciliate buying a nicer car)

1956 Cadillac 6019X Fleetwood Sixty Special(original 37K mile survivor car in number 2 condition...fully loaded with what everyone calls "modern options" today. It was a true pleasure to own and drive. Totally cool stuff that we cant even get today was on that car.)

1955 Cadillac 8619 Commercial Chassis(S&S Conversion Victoria Hearse)(still a project, but what a presence for your last ride)

1954 Cadillac 6219X Coupe DeVille(90% done with restoration and my current Cadillac project. Again fully loaded with every "modern" amenity)

1983 Cadillac Coupe DeVille D'Elegance(HT4100 POS. I still have it only because they crushed most all of them. It might be like the studebaker and edsel cars one day)

2002 Cadillac CTS(had what seemed like an incurable oil leak off the lot, but otherwise an "okay" car, but not great since it would pour smoke from under the hood in traffic due to the same oil leak..they finally resolved it after a 2200.00 tear down(luckily warranty paid).

I gave up after giving them a chance in 2002 on that CTS. I know you didn't ask for me to write any of this. It's not directed at you or your car...just my thoughts about newer cars in general. It'd be nice if it were a more personal undertaking. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to order a car today that had all the mods you'd ever want to put on it; put on it from the factory? I actually kind of dig bringing that kind of personal service back.

Jeff

Im all good with your way of thinking on ordering the car you want with or with out mods id love that...lol ..Plus i never gave it a thought that you where talking down on my ride I look at the best

side of everybody....NICE COLLECTION BROTHER POST SOME PICTURES PLEASE

Edited by Godfather
1349387266[/url]' post='55036']

Here's my list:

Jeff

You can still get that kind of a-la-carte buying experience... from ultra high end makes like Bentley, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Bugatti, etc. wink.gif

I was actually looking into a Rolls Royce Phantom about a week ago, but then I couldn't make up my mind on what color to get so I scrapped the idea all together. Seriously I did, but really it was because when I looked into my wallet George told me I couldn't squeeze him hard enough to get that many dollars outta him. :( One day when I win the lottery....lol Back then though, it wasn't just Cadillac....it was just about any make you could pick and choose and build a car to suit your personal tastes....it was personal even for the common man if he saw fit to order a car instead of taking a pre-built one from the lot.

Jeff

I installed a new battery in my '98 CSVT and drove it down to a buddy's shop under the cover of darkness. Tags have been out for about 3 years. He's gonna install a new (used) suspension, fluids, etc. White knuckle for the entire 65 miles. The tires are bald, the suspension is shot, and 3rd gear grinds pretty bad unless I baby it. But it purrs like a kitten.

Also installed a new battery and two new starter relays (uses 4 total) in my '99 Honda VFR800i Interceptor. FINALLY after two years of tinkering with this bike trying to track down some electrical gremlin, I've got it sorted out. I found one melted relay plug, but it wasn't too bad.

Oil check and decision about to change or not to change.

4500 miles in 4 months.

Still clear so will wait maybe another month and then it will make it through the winter.

-chart-

Also installed a new battery and two new starter relays (uses 4 total) in my '99 Honda VFR800i Interceptor. FINALLY after two years of tinkering with this bike trying to track down some electrical gremlin, I've got it sorted out. I found one melted relay plug, but it wasn't too bad.

So last night I rode the motorcycle to work, first day back in two weeks, first day on the bike in about 6 months. My first patient was the victim of a motorcycle accident. That's a confidence booster (not!). Overnight a cold front blew in, first of the season. Got my bike fixed just in time to put it away for the winter dry.gif. Good thing I bought a new battery maintainer.

So last night I rode the motorcycle to work, first day back in two weeks, first day on the bike in about 6 months. My first patient was the victim of a motorcycle accident. That's a confidence booster (not!). Overnight a cold front blew in, first of the season. Got my bike fixed just in time to put it away for the winter dry.gif. Good thing I bought a new battery maintainer.

At what temperature do you call it a cold front?

Does it count if it is my grandfathers van, he was hit by a deer a buck came across the road after he waited for 3 others to go by, his hooves hit the cornering light, and dented the fender plus the hood.

Tracking down the parts are hard, as his van is not common. seems the cornering light is a hard to come by part

000_0022.jpg

The dent in the hood may come out with paintless dent repair.

The fender...not so much.

A 99 quest just got set out at Pull A Part on Friday, I can add the light to your mirror cap box...

The dent in the hood may come out with paintless dent repair.

The fender...not so much.

A 99 quest just got set out at Pull A Part on Friday, I can add the light to your mirror cap box...

BullGeek, that would be awesome. minus the cap. I already got one at the junkyard i went to to track down the cornering light, i did not want to leave empty handed.

How much for the cornering light?