What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Supposedly broke the sun gear in the '87 a few weeks ago. Backing into the driveway and got slightly hung up on the lip near the curbside. Gave it some gas and there was a clunk and a new neutral position was made where Reverse was. Oops. :wacko:

Sun gear failure results in no reverse, 2nd, or 4th (OD). Essentially it has become a lousy 2-speed automatic since you can keep it in the 'D' position and accelerate in 1st, then cruise in 3rd. Definitely not ideal by any means, and I did not road test it long like that, but just long enough to confirm I wasn't getting any action out of 2nd and 4th.

Anyway, decided to make the worst of a bad situation and ordered a higher stall torque converter for it better suited to the HO power band. Factory AOD stall is like 1600 RPM, so I went with a 2500 RPM replacement, which should get the RPMs up closer to where the engine starts making power. Nick is also coming down Sunday and has very kindly offered to trailer the car to his place so it can go to Johnson's, the place that has done several of the AODs he has (including this one several years ago).

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

Ouch! Poor thing. That is cool Nick is going to help trailer it and get it up and running again! 

On 12/5/2020 at 4:35 AM, TaurusKev said:

Ouch! Poor thing. That is cool Nick is going to help trailer it and get it up and running again! 

Rm7aMp.jpg

He came by and picked it up this afternoon. He was visiting the Pull-A-Part here snatching a K-Code (3.55 locking) axle from under a '88 Country Squire, so everything worked out very well.

For the time being, it's currently back where it started in Blythewood. :D

• Like 1

That is awesome! Nice when everything works. I am sure it'll be happy to be back with all the other panthers around there. 

Since the truck market is red hot right now and I really wanted to save some $$$ monthly, I took the opportunity and traded in my truck for a 2020 Fusion Ecoboost in Iconic Silver.   I got the final number today on paper and it cost me 936.00 to drive my ram for one year and 8k miles.  Pretty good, I thought.  I never really used it as a truck so I decided I really didn’t need it as badly as I thought when I first purchased it.  This fusion has co-pilot 360, big radio with nav, and other various stuff that makes it feel like a very well appointed car.  Much more options than my 2014 Fusion had.  It does not have leather, but the cloth seating looks nice with white stitching.  Best part is, I now have a payment that is sub $500 month.  I haven’t had that for years.   I also recently started working at my local Ford dealer, Glen Sain Ford here in Paragould in the service department.  I’ve never loved my job more.  I don’t know why I hadn’t taken the step before now, but I do not miss selling car parts.  These aren’t the best pictures, but it was dark by the time I left work.  Proud to be back in a Ford.  I’ve missed the creature comforts.

Jeff

3A980C61-C2E8-40ED-8AF2-D86434173E8F.jpeg

58D6534C-B41C-4485-8442-2237B0187A55.jpeg

85CE3031-5244-43D8-BD59-996694F13756.jpeg

Edited by Jeff
Added info
  • Like 1

Well, my ram drove off with its new owner yesterday.  They told me it would go quick and it did.  I hope he treats it well and it treats him well!  I’ll miss it, but my pocketbook thanks me for saving some $$$ right now.  My fusion now has 180 miles on it and has been great.  I’ve had it a full 7 days now.  It drives how I remember my 2014 driving.  I really dig the auto dim headlights.  I seem to use that the most around here.  I bet most people think that auto dim headlights are a new feature, but it was actually pioneered and introduced by GM in around 1954.  It was called Cadillacs’ “Autronic Eye”.  

Jeff

7B511266-6E50-4574-89E1-9FD01619A6D9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered an OEM spoiler for the fusion and it’s currently at the paint shop.  I’ll be getting that installed soon.  Also, just today I ordered the full chrome honeycomb grille for a titanium fusion and also the chrome trim for the lower front bumper that sits just below where the fog lamps go.  I am still undecided on trying to install fog lamps on this car or not.  I will make that decision before I remove the front bumper to put the new grille in as that will be the time to change the harness out for a fog lamp version.   I may go ahead and put the harness in as the fog lamps can be added at anytime without having to remove the front bumper.  I never can just drive one.

Jeff

• Like 1

While ShelbyRacer may not like it, I opted to return back to traditional halogen headlights on my '97. I managed to put together a set of Ford OE headlight and turn signal lens assemblies.

xyvCKv.jpg

I added WeatherTech LampGaurds to them to try and hold off chips and yellowing for a while. I just need to get a replacement set of corner lens assemblies, as those are the only ones I haven't replaced with NOS OE stuff. The ones I have presently are from a '92-'94 LS Marquis, but I may go back to the proper '95-'97 style ones. I installed a relay harness for the low beams only, since I've re-installed my Canadian DRL module, which runs the high beams at 50% power, and that wouldn't play nice with a relay. Beam pattern and throw is excellent for a halogen lamp, and I can see quite well. It's a bit different compared to having the projector swapped equipment, but a familiar feeling.

x0Yi2S.jpg

It's not doing too bad for having almost 225K now. Tires are getting down to almost 4/32nd, and I've found a whitewall replacement (as it should be) in the size I've been using; 225/70R15. I prefer the 'fleet' size tire compared to the traditional retail 215/70R15 tire, but I really do miss having a whitewall. Depending on how much faster they wear, probably come spring or summer they'll be getting replaced.

Edited by Kodachrome Wolf
  • Like 1

Wow it looks great too for its age. 

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to do a few upgrades to my Fusion.  I upgraded the wheels to 18” TSW wheels with the factory size 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle Touring tires.  Then, I removed the front bumper cover and added the titanium grille, led fog lamps, and the chrome lower trim.  I was able to figure out that my car was factory wired for fog lamps.  Only thing is the instrument cluster indicator is not enabled, but otherwise they work fine.  All I had to do was switch the master switch to a switch with fogs and purchase the appropriate bumper harness.  I also took the time to install a dual horn set from a 2016 Fusion.  I hated the single tone horn.  It sounded so cheap.  The horns cost 35.00 new, so I’m not sure why Ford is doing this with almost all of their lineup.   It’s a complaint I’m seeing from many people.   Now, all that’s left is the spoiler which is still at the paint shop.  So far, it’s been a great car....I just wanted to make it look a little better.

Jeff

40C6FFD3-20CC-4979-84A5-BD4BEAB6E71B.jpeg

5C6E47FD-12AF-458B-98AB-7A1B22C59C46.jpeg

2CF9D267-7907-483C-81D0-40DEFC158B4C.jpeg

Edited by Jeff
Added
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 5:27 PM, durasel said:

Great upgrades to your new Fusion! !👍

Thank you sir!  It really does set the car off some vs stock.  I like having a car that is uniquely mine.  We’ve been getting winter weather lately so unfortunately I’ve been driving it on the salty roads.  We rarely get weather that requires salt.  Last time was over 7 years ago.  I’ll have to clean it up really well after all this moves out.

Jeff

I decided to upgrade my interior to leather.  I normally have only owned cars with leather and I got such a good deal on this car with rebates that I just figured I’d update the seats.  Normally I would choose something factory-like, but I’ve seen some of the new Rolls Royce cars with outrageous interiors and decided to try that on for size on my Fusion.  I chose orange leather for the main body with a black perforated insert to tie it all back into the rest of the interior.  I may have to have the door panel inserts done in orange too, just to make it cohesive, but I’ll decide that once the seats are in place.  I ordered these from a reputable company out of Oklahoma City called leatherseats.com and they fully replace the upholstery that’s already there. They seem to have an excellent reputation.  Most of you are probably wincing right now, but for your viewing pleasure I present to you, the inspiration.  I never would’ve thought it would look so good.  Hoping it translates well into my fusion.

Jeff

06F17622-F01C-4DE6-B6B1-C864039B39C5.jpeg

BBA66C98-BCDF-4171-AE07-1B37D94AD1CB.png

1AD23132-1605-40E3-A379-0782BCCF4B68.jpeg

yiQR7-FZsncgxkFgjf80kCvqsDbXpQbrzw7P6F10aYYs-3svKpymAIyE7VoMwlnxl6642GK8QljYSbIA3voMrbbXgOLQmfCUpX3Qy_n__IcJpCp8dYhDWwc2GxXWZkcMdI38BoeDeiq-aA0HUCMJTaX1fzGvqCLItc5oPA6krslv7RtKpf6wYzLOdesfyzsJApXOKbHwJn4YeOQ2qwkTOgeOPmRPSrblEcWPTAmg_Fn__Hh09eO6gtCtu_RegkxpzxAJ6fsTgFuvggrEJI2WKa3ICmildWGPcze03QRLx_rJXiZr5rcPJi5V5bAczoTY2fdmx1gGRi-iweROOgkaH3l6lFJj90wmtyeYkaH2MF3EZQErYdj6nkFkx4Lj-6dSwP0JjCyqEcJGnxz2o1YTgjmJZleZ_e3XO1sSCM1WGoA109H76Hai9cu5w21z0wdU2EQ74yZagAwro52xjvifx_7KJq2faGld4rXJerF3xAxxrjbF0Rcla6FJYnW1NRls2ob680h_nct-050hp1FHUiSHCUbnzZUf4RVKUytj3GpaGyzc8qOXXd09K9dnVOaqZLJAHTiLews9nLAX-yKimxRIiD2Ydx9iGI5WZg4EFhyJ2Tmo_gNcJe3lUuB90lZmOYUcgshDzUOVn2XtnDR6zvkqlF3LduXT2XXlFerNkv_8tPGzIH70SY0NVSai3lc=w750-h553-no?authuser=0

Going to get this car out of the garage and drive it this spring (hopefully in time for the rod run in nearby Pigeon Forge). It needs a battery and I have to pull the carb and intake manifold as its been sitting for 10 years or so. Last person to drive it was my dad ~2008 and I started it the year he passed away (2010). I miss the sound of that 283, but not as much as I miss the person it reminds me of.

• 3 weeks later...

This week, I added a Steeda front strut tower brace and the Steeda 1” rear solid sway bar to my Fusion.  It definitely feels like it handles much better at speed than it did.  Slowly, but surely it’s coming along.  My leather interior kit will be here in three weeks.  I picked the final colors after I was sent samples.  Tangerine body with black perforated inserts.  I think it’ll be 🔥.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • 4 weeks later...

Well,  I’ve received my tangerine and black interior kit.  Here’s to hoping it looks good!  It’ll probably be about two weeks before I can have them installed as we sub out our interiors.  Also, tomorrow I’ll have a steeda intake kit coming to install.  Today, my poor Fusion was hit with hail(up to slightly over quarter size).  I have found two dents, but I’m sure there’s more.  I’ll be lucky if I don’t find more.  Really do not want to have to file an insurance claim.  

8E2AC53F-9586-46B0-B3AB-AC78558F5849.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to do a little upgrade tonight on the Fusion.  All the new Fords are coming with the iPad style screens.  So, I had to go aftermarket to get one, but it uses the Ford APIM and AC circuit board so it retains all the factory options plus adds many many more like surfing the web/watching videos and is made to install and look like a factory piece.  It was a little pricey, but it’s way better than the sync 3 system I had.  I paid a little extra for a 3 year warranty so if it breaks or I break it, they will repair/replace it for 3 years.  It responds quickly and the audio is just as crisp as it was with the OEM unit.  Lots I’ll have to get used to and learn how to use, but overall I really think it pulled this car into the modern age.  

4E35A49B-C256-41E1-9F0F-62F32663C557.jpeg

Edited by Jeff
Added info
  • 2 weeks later...

So, a lot has changed in a week or so.  I wound up letting my Fusion go, even though, I had literally just customized it and made it something unique and very nice.  I needed something larger and an elderly couple traded in a like new 2019 Flex SEL a few weeks back.  They bought it new from our dealership and it had always been serviced by us.  26k miles, pretty hard loaded, one minor accident(coca cola truck grazed the passenger fender).  I saw the damage before it was repaired.  Put a new fender on it and it looks as new again.  Otherwise, was a pristine example and in the right colors.  I hated to see my Fusion go, but really glad to be in this Flex.  Have some new tires ordered to go on it that will be here next week.  Has the typical feathering that this platform seems to have.  Just part of it from the research I’ve done.  Plus, at 26k they are well over half worn at this point.  Anyways,  here it is.  Pretty much as pristine an example as you’ll probably find.

Jeff

785A1A35-C524-41D2-AA88-45A53FBC1A7D.jpeg

0CDBB404-9F81-47EF-A948-55CF9FD68DB8.jpeg

FAC2F782-77FE-4008-B21B-9DD946274BD2.jpeg

97F4BC81-A723-4422-88A2-14B229E603FD.jpeg

Edited by Jeff