Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

2 hours ago, Thub said:

Gotta give you a hard time for buying a 4x2 truck though, those things are special order around here...clearly a southern truck lol.  Don't ever try to sell it further north...your resale value will plummet without 4x4.

Thanks!  I figured I'd get more reaction from buying a V6 than it being RWD.  Working in parts, I'm seeing a troubling trend with the lifter and cam issues with the hemi engines.  The pentastar seems to be pretty rock solid.  Lots of 4x4s here too, but I'll likely never go off road in it.  We also usually have pretty mild winters.  I have my Buick if we get ice, etc.  I've already added the higher trim grille insert, chrome handles, chrome mirror caps, tailgate assist, the Mopar chrome wheel skins, and I've got a set of 5" wide iBoards to install this weekend.  The only giveaway that it's a tradesman from the exterior now are the 17" wheels and lack of fender flares.  I guess, I've done the unpopular thing and embraced the chrome.  My only complaint is that the seat bottom is broken already at 600 miles.  Dealer says it's a common problem and have ordered a replacement.  The seat pops over bumps and certain scenarios when you shift your weight in the seat.  Very annoying, but otherwise harmless.  Hopefully the replacement lasts the life of the truck.

IMG_20200202_163349448_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200202_163326053_HDR~2.jpg

My Beetle (2016 Beetle Classic 1.8T with stage 1 tune), Becky's Beetle (2013 Beetle 2.0T R-Line), and our oldest daughter's Beetle (1999 New Beetle 2.0 SOHC).

Too much to mention. Their cars need tires & brakes before Spring.

Becky_Bug.JPG

J_Bug.JPG

Hayley_Bug.JPG

21 hours ago, Jeff said:

Thanks!  I figured I'd get more reaction from buying a V6 than it being RWD.  Working in parts, I'm seeing a troubling trend with the lifter and cam issues with the hemi engines.  The pentastar seems to be pretty rock solid.  Lots of 4x4s here too, but I'll likely never go off road in it.  We also usually have pretty mild winters.  I have my Buick if we get ice, etc.  I've already added the higher trim grille insert, chrome handles, chrome mirror caps, tailgate assist, the Mopar chrome wheel skins, and I've got a set of 5" wide iBoards to install this weekend.  The only giveaway that it's a tradesman from the exterior now are the 17" wheels and lack of fender flares.  I guess, I've done the unpopular thing and embraced the chrome.  My only complaint is that the seat bottom is broken already at 600 miles.  Dealer says it's a common problem and have ordered a replacement.  The seat pops over bumps and certain scenarios when you shift your weight in the seat.  Very annoying, but otherwise harmless.  Hopefully the replacement lasts the life of the truck.

I can't give you a hard time for having a V6 truck...I have one too, mine just has 2 of those little whistlers on it ;) . Which I've been very satisfied with. It's hard to drive something without that +420 lb ft of torque. The fuel economy went down with the addition of the KO2s but those tires weigh like 55lbs a piece so it has a decent effect on fuel economy. The biggest thing with the ecoboost is to keep up on the oil changes, that engine needs it oil changed every 5000 miles with a high quality full synthetic no questions, the dilution and heat from the turbos wears the oil out quick and that's when those engines start having internal problems. The idea of running those engines 7000-10000 miles between changes is the biggest joke out there. The newer Gen 2 Ecoboost are more robust but I'd still be performing religious oil changes.

Edited by Thub

Added 5" polished stainless iBoards to the truck today.  They look nice, but not too sure how I feel about them yet.  Also, dropped the factory fill Pennzoil at 550 miles and swapped to Rotella Gas Truck full synthetic 5w20.  Had my local Ford dealer do it so it would be documented properly, plus $14 is pretty cheap and I didn't have to crawl under it.  Forgive the dirty truck.  I'm going to wash it tomorrow and then I'm going to add the factory splash guards.  I have the tailgate assist kit coming in the mail so I'll install that next week sometime.  That's about it.

Jeff

IMG_20200208_171045016_HDR.jpg

The one option I really wanted on this truck, but didn't get was hands free calling.  I didn't realize it didn't have it until on the way home.  I figured every new vehicle has this standard.  Not so.  I thought about buying a new radio, but that was going to be big $$ to get something that looked OEM.  So, I did some research and found a few kits that integrate it into the factory radio.  Mopar makes a kit and so does Rostra.  I decided on a Rostra kit and managed to find a NOS kit (2014 manufacture date)  unopened on eBay for $100 that is custom made to fit the Ram1500.  Installed it today and it really was as simple as adding the Rostra harness between the factory radio and factory harness and then tapping one power wire from the connector in the driver's foot well.  The thing works great and using Google assistant it truly is hands free.  The switch looks factory and mounted up nice once I dremeled some substructure away from behind that plastic delete plate as this kit was really designed for a truck with column shift.  The switch should be mounted vertical in this location, but as my truck is rotary shift I had to mount it horizontally as the delete plates are different.  Very happy for the little cost and time it took to install.  

Jeff

IMG_20200223_170255437~2.jpg

IMG_20200223_143906902_HDR.jpg

Got the HO swap done on the '87. Spirit of a Mark VII, just wearing the wrong clothes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 10:23 PM, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Got the HO swap done on the '87. Spirit of a Mark VII, just wearing the wrong clothes.

Nice! Pics? Or vids of it performing? ;)

On 3/18/2020 at 5:47 PM, TaurusKev said:

Nice! Pics? Or vids of it performing? ;)

Haven't taken any fun videos. I've certainly ran it up to the max of 3rd gear, and it'll get into the low triple digits with ease. Haven't tried letting it go into 4th since I'm already tempting fate doing silly stuff like that. It definitely has the torque to motivate that weight up to speed, as compared to the LoPo stick that had a hard time getting motivated past 80. I mean, it could get past 80, but speed added on slowly.

I've got some boring shots of yanking stuff apart. Under hood looks generally the same as it has, save for the HO firing order appearing on the distributor and coolant isn't dribbling down the timing cover anymore.

Nothing says trouble like having much of the engine components no longer inside or attached to the engine:

QSIcIZ.jpg

Checking to make sure the Mark VII PCM isn't dead:

QmaGy1.jpg

I did install it into the correct place through the firewall after verifying it wasn't junk.

FWIW, I've started replacing capacitors on older Ford EEC IV and EEC V boards. EEC V ones seem to hold up better than the EEC IV ones, but capacitors aren't forever and a car interior isn't the most forgiving place depending on the climate. A lot of the 80s ones are starting to look suspect, so taking preventative measures are the best thing to do at this point.

• Like 1

Oh crap... I worry about that with my 94 and 95's I have... Do they suffer from capacitor leakage like computers do?

21 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

Oh crap... I worry about that with my 94 and 95's I have... Do they suffer from capacitor leakage like computers do?

Yeah, or at least they seem to. I had a customer with an '89 Mustang complain it was acting all erratic when running, and the car was only intermittently starting. We tried to salvage his PCM since it's one of the mass air cars, but this is what I found when I got in there:

DiGXoJ.jpg

The leg to that capacitor was totally rotten off. I recapped the board, but the damage was done and it had no effect on it. He had to run down one, and unfortunately those mass air Fox Mustang boards aren't getting cheaper.

All my boards I've serviced varied. The '87 came with a remanned PCM in it. The capacitors on it were looking questionable and were starting to bulge out around the bottoms where the legs are. I got a PCM from an '87.5 LTD CV that was factory to it and it looked phenomenal inside. My '97 boards looked really good too, but they got recapped for longevity. The '87 Mark VII PCM looked liked it was starting to bulge, so it got recapped.

Personally I'd recommend doing the work as preventive maintenance and peace of mind. 

Also a video featuring a slow 0-60, while trying to AOD shuffle with one hand and film/steer with the other, but I didn't lock it back in 2nd after the 1-2 shift, so it went into 3rd at 60. I've got to get my hands on a AOD HO shift governor otherwise it will shift at 4K. Great for a LoPo where it dies above 4K, but the HO doesn't fall out until 5K.

Standing starts aren't the HO's forte given where the real torque comes on. It comes alive above 1800 RPM, so if stood on, the needle keeps moving steadily like it does from about 35. Reminds me very much of the '97 before it got 3.55s. Digs suck, but rolling it moved out with ease and had no problem adding speed.