Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

2015 Mustang just rolled 36k miles, and got an oil change. I also mounted a new rear spoiler on the trunklid. 

1989 Mustang just got a full performance rebuild on its AOD transmission. I’m picking it up from the shop tomorrow morning. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 7:46 PM, Angrod said:

Two Thursdays ago I changed the oil "early" in the Fiesta. It was deep amber after only 5000 miles. The last two changes went for 7-8000 miles before the oil was that color. Either the engine was dirty inside or Valvoline is crap.

Valvoline is crap. Lol. Valvolines racing oil is okay though

brian - coyote? 

Edited by blackout

The F150s moonroof/sunroof took a crap on me. The plastic track guides cracked and exploded all over when I tried to open the window last week. It got suck open so I was forced to make an emergency repair. After researching the job and finding out it is a major undertaking I ordered the replacement parts from the Sunroof Doctor. I wasn't going to pay $1000 or more to someone to fix this when I knew I could handle it, just super time consuming. 

Step 1. Tear the entire interior apart to drop the headliner...took about 1.5 hours

Step 2. Get a helper and drop the track/tray assembly that is bolted to the roof. Given the size of the F150 and the huge window this piece was huge and not easy to remove from the truck. Alot of people said to remove the passenger seat and sub woofer but I left both in to save time and maybe yelled a few more curse words in order to pull the assembly out... about 45 mins.

Step 3. Disassembly the track and tray assembly and clean and prep for new parts...1 hour

Step 4. Install new parts, grease, reassemble, and manually test the track and adjust...1 hour

Step 5. Get my buddy to help me reinstall the track assembly in the truck and bolt up...30 min

Step 6. Hook everything backup, double check everything, and reinstall interior parts...1.5 hours

Step 7. Test sun roof and make adjustments to track and glass alignment for final fit...30 min 

Step 8. Clean interior of the truck since it was a total mess from the job...30 min

That made for over a 7 hour job, probably closer to 8 with breaks and other screwing around. All spread out over 3 days. Easy to see why this is a +$1000 repair when it takes a full day of labor.

I didn't take many pictures since I was in total "get the job done" mode.

Here's one with the headliner dropped and the track/tray assembly removed. You can see the massive side curtain airbags covering the entire cab.

ryu90TS.jpg

Here's the track and tray assembly removed from the truck. I had just drilled the rivets out holding the back portion on when this picture was taken, explaining all the metal shavings.

tTAVasL.jpg

Otherwise the truck has been doing great. I towed 6000 lbs a few weeks ago from Madison to Green Bay and it drove excellent. With a heavy wind on my tail and towing that load I got upwards of 20mpg. (Empty 2200 lb trailer into the wind got me 14 mpg)

Edited by Thub
  • Like 1

Over the last week I've torn the Buick back down and replaced the water pump, main drive tensioner(including installing the upgraded aluminum elbow), fixed the fuel pump ballast resistor, added a new thermostat, replaced the pcv valve, replaced the idle air control valve, and mass air flow sensor and I recharged the AC.  The car runs like brand new now and has had ice cold AC all week so far!  My Impala sat for two years and leaked all the freon out, but has been good for three years now so I'm hoping this Buick will be the same.  I have removed three of the four door panels to facilitate changing the window regulators so that the windows will work, but more importantly stay up without the need to use duct tape.  I'm almost ready to register it and give it a shake down drive.  Still needs a lot to be nice, but it's coming along.  Sadly, I found rot under the rear door in the rocker.  It was not just surface rust.  I now have a 5" long hole in the door opening reveal.  I'm scared to look behind the plastic rocker cover because I already know what I'm going to find. This car came from Missouri so it's not surprising really.  Oh well, just a little more work to do!  I'm already committed.

Jeff

received_586351058542758.jpeg

Edited by Jeff

JRMbuHx.jpg

My Fox body convertible had a lock actuator and plastic speaker grilles on the doors that were broken, so I got those replaced today. The weather has been mild enough to go out and enjoy cruising in this car with the top down for most of the past week too. 

• Like 2

My Buick is ready for it's dash transplant.  The passenger airbag cover was cracked on the original dash and it's integral to the dash and cannot be replaced separately.  I found a cream puff 2005 Century that donated it's dash to the project.  If that car had been console shift then I'd have taken the whole interior to swap.  I had to redye the dash pad because the donor dash was gray.  It is now medium dark neutral like the original.  It only took about an hour or so the strip this dash out of the car.  I was surprised at how quick it went.  New one goes in tomorrow.  Then the whole interior needs a refresh.

Jeff

IMG_20190531_202346132.jpg

• Like 2

Figured since I put a refreshed dash in my Regal that while everything is apart I should refresh everything.  GM never offered this version in a wheel, I don't think, but I quite liked it and thought it would really look good.  It was originally all a similar shade to the darker color I used.  The steering wheel backing cover is also the lighter color that's shown on the wheel. These colors are listed as GM Light Neutral and GM Medium Dark Neutral.  Both interior colors I had left over from when I refreshed my 04 Impala and since I had the material what better to use!  I have something similar in mind for the console/cup holder/console lid.  These colors are not the factory offerings that the car was born with, but are similar and make the car look younger than it is, IMO.   More updates to come!

Jeff

IMG_20190602_212930724~2.jpg

• Like 1

Tossed a TPS on the '87. Closed throttle was at .97v, but it wasn't reporting above 3.21v at WOT. Replacement unit installed was set to .90v closed, and it reports 4.25v at WOT. Seems to be doing better now under hard throttle. Seemed to start going lean pretty bad under heavy throttle since it was under reporting actual throttle input. I was getting a interesting smell from the converters when passing or climbing long grades at speed.

Dash going back in.  Slow process since I only really have time during the weekend to mess with this car.  Still need to pull the console out and get it done, and also pull the seats and carpet and take the door panels back off and get those done.  I also need to power wash the carpet.  The seats need some professional repair prior to recoloring them.  I'll be having those sections repaired using vinyl(I suspect these seats may not be real leather anyway).  Then I can recolor them and the interior should be done.  Mechanically, other than an oil leak and tired suspension, this car is in wonderful shape.  I have most all of the suspension parts waiting to go in.  I got a killer deal on some Gabriel Guardian struts for $9.00 each on RockAuto.  May not be the best, but the deal was way too good to pass up!  Definitely better than the four blown struts it has now.  More to come.

Jeff

IMG_20190603_194244323.jpg

Pretty sure my girlfriends Impala got totaled last Friday. We were making a left turn, I was sitting shotgun (waiting for a passing car) and anther girl blew right into us. She hit the brakes and tried to go for the ditch at the last second.  Hit us hard enough to blow all the airbags in her Malibu and mush the Impalas suspension up and push the tire out at a good angle. We were 3 blocks from my moms house so I had to call her to come to the rescue.

29bn5Ia.jpg

b1Q2xWg.jpg

You can see I was in total weekend mode already, sandals and swimming trunks.

kKebUxS.jpg

xZAfW0C.jpg

I paid them a visit since the yard they took them too was right up the road from work.

mO71y3F.jpg

Edited by Thub

Glad nobody was hurt too badly. 

The girlfriend picked the replacement to the Impala last week. I snagged one decent picture at time of purchase. I've been too busy with work to really go through the car for her and adjust a few things with it yet.

2016 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring AWD. 2.5L with just shy of 32k miles.

42f9fhw.jpg

I went and test drove a lot of cars with her and the CX5 is definitely the sharpest looking and best driving vehicle in that class. It came down to obviously picking a quality vehicle, but the interior and exterior looks, and handling sealed the deal for her. The CX5 looks great, handles great, has way more room than you would expect.

This GT has every option except the lane keeping, and radar cruise control.

I personally do prefer Mazdas application of a larger displacement NA 4 cylinder instead of the smaller turbo charged setup.

long time no see everyone! I actually got the replacement to the sable, 2011 blue flame metallic fusion sport 

fSA6LhTgh3orzc17NApupL5lYjWhlWvyANvI0Ft_

Has every option for 2011 minus the awd. Its been a week since i first drove it and i'm in shock that its mine. 

ZvIzb1Wi-zeknpiWcPoboSZJFm0vGE5XQZ8AQDMD

Already got in and installed some clear cornering lights, and i have alot more things coming... 

I didn't really take any pictures for this stuff, but I've done quite a lot to the Buick in the last several weeks.  I located a good used supercharger and swapped that onto the car and the horrible bad bearing noise it had is now gone.  I also replaced the valve cover gaskets while there since the rear one was leaking.   Also completed a full tune up with NGK plugs recommended by enthusiasts for the SC 3800.  Car runs superb now and has great response and pulls hard.  I'm a sucker for good deals and I purchased a complete suspension and steering rebuild on RockAuto(mostly).  I replaced all four struts with Gabriel Gaurdian struts $9.00 each(China & discontinued part number), all four strut mounts $4-7 each(Taiwan), new lower control arms $21 each(no name no country of origin likely China), new McQuay Norris tie rods $3-4 each (and made in the USA too)!!  Rear sway bar links I had left from when I bought two sets by accident for the Impala, and front sway bar links I bought local for $3-5 each.  Did brakes all around including a passenger front caliper and hose, turned the rotors, and mounted 4 new cheaper Chinese tires.  I'm on a budget so this car can't get the nicest of anything, but will get the newest of something.  I did all the labor myself so I could do all of this very cheaply.   Now, it needs a paint job and an interior detailing and an alignment. I've driven this car daily for almost a month and besides being ugly, it's a great car and it has icebox cold AC!  Is it bad I enjoy driving this old Buick more than my Charger?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
Forgot info

The '97 finally received its 3.55 gears. Rear end got a full overhaul with new seals, axle shafts, and bearings. The parking brake shoes were replaced while the shafts were out. Certainly more lively with the gears.

I also installed my P71 ECU and swapped in the correct speedometer gear for the VSS. The car is 95% to where I'd like it. Eventually I'll get that air ride swap done, but that's not a pressing issue right now.

• Thanks 1

YdLtE9PG0hFm3-7UgsuMZyLVRSCAg-eDXGFiy1BALScBmJ45dHNb97mFMYTYWnTJzhEWU-aNxKxMwafkIexAxH2yOTxEno6zuYql4Q-sWxAss3XltpzGRnXUcxbCK2G7mxSxh8ItfdWJW1nJv1zDBDuhiIr11DsJEBUHLGxl2F8tPMptVdoqWdxtT6OnOg8em_EMNdDXOBya6SgIqfpMznVSDNNRHGh9l1UgdoyeeeFj8m5A5-ljdb7XPeKDM2lpnJNk4sjLu6une0jzr0BD7ax-MjX3bVEEPfkvLoew-_HUJSUKYKj9icfYH5XUNfO9n-bhrHwQau6DdIMjve4gANoyb0rIVT7EYUFlWyrunJT2b7CmuNz_DbjbhHDs8utlVtexV-QRbSlePDRD82hsfOpJglzkGuUkxuHb95uqne2eGXpy9OQ-_WEDHpb_nzFEj_3B6xbGaKSz0-kYN393N3nw8SYSX0VdRmGvp7qyiWYXy9ZDZaKnXjgR51w_4vI7bx_dj2V7L5c7ynTSmVAtF4P7Ok-k6dXWtz83lQtEnKMR3Tp7DVGOOnWopKZ8hGFsgd-KZOPCl-XbOOEPIFKPzkkTA_UrqcNFCh7L3bD-Fhv9laBAo8AFFEvyniToAYHg_GcL5_rfhrwDMei-zeRBFIV-Ey0QFSAh=w834-h625-no

Took a picture of it...or something. Photo taken near Deals Gap, TN.

So I'm still alive and the Feisty is too. Been doing regular oil changes. Other than that nothing new with the car. It runs great and I have learned how to use the turbo so that I don't need to downshift on hills!

I'm trying to drive tractor trailer for my job (UPS) and I plan on going for my permit next week. I hope I pass all the training and get in as I will be converted to full time which will give me a massive pay boost at the expense of having a life. But at this point I would rather have the money.

Edited by Angrod
  • Like 1

Yesterday I bought a place for my Mustangs and Sable to live, and it even came with a place for people to sleep! 😛 

16eB9u1.jpg

It was finally time to upgrade from my condo to a new house. The Sable wagon will be earning its keep now by hauling a lot of stuff to the new place. 

Edited by Brian_05_SEL
  • Like 3

Congrats Brian!  Garage looks nice!  I miss having a garage.  I do have a large carport, but there's nothing like a fully enclosed space.  Hope all has been well.

So, a week or so back my Buick was totalled by an inattentive driver that didn't wait her turn at a four way stop.  I was heartbroken!  I cried over this!  It's the nicest car in my fleet right now and I drive it all the time! She didn't seem to care much except that it scratched up her brand new Jeep that she had just purchased.  I felt judged by her and the police officer that came and took the report that my car was of no value.  I've already repaired the car and hung a new fender, bumper cover(cracked in center and fog lamp bracket tore small hole near bottom), grille mount panel(cracked), horn set(bracket all smashed and one horn cracked), rocker molding cover(broke my original trying to remove it), repaired the fog lamp mounting brackets, and headlights.  It looks as good as new.  All in, just less than $200 to put it back using mostly used parts from a cream puff Regal GS I found in a local upull, some new rocker clips from the GM dealer, and two new aftermarket headlights.   I didn't even file a claim because I didn't want the hassle.  I guess I'll be painting it soon to make it all match.

IMG_20190905_191930938.jpg

IMG_20190905_191923737.jpg

IMG_20190905_191859843.jpg

IMG_20190906_192731987.jpg

IMG_20190907_171233128.jpg

IMG_20190907_182230826.jpg

IMG_20190914_204352200.jpg

Edited by Jeff
Added info