Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

25so375.jpg

SVT-WGN on Main Street in Watrous

A bit of self promotion. This past weekend SVT-WGN was on display at two Show & Shine events. The first was at Watrous (a little over 100 cars on display on Saturday, July 28) and at Bruno (about 115 cars on display Sunday, July 29). SVT-WGN did not win anything at either show (much more deserving vehicles won), but the owner did have some fun explaining why a plain looking old Focus could be on display.

For anyone that stopped and listened, the general response was surprise and yes, even acceptance for the owner to display his car.

I redid one of the door hinges on the Thunderbird. Did the upper door hinge pin. Wasn't too bad. AutoZone only had 1 pin, so I got one, and decided to take a crack at replacing it by myself. The door does close much easier! But not quite perfect yet. But I won't replace the striker pin until I do the bottom hinge pin. I didn't completely even remove the entire hinge. Just grinded the top off, got the pin out, took the door part of the hinge off, drilled it, installed new bearings, then installed it.

I bought a set of Bilstein Struts Fronts are adjustable to 2.5"

Differential drop kit to correct the CV Geometry.

Hypertech Speedo/shift point recalibrator (to correct for the oversized tires)

295/70/18 Terra Grapplers Stock tires are 275/65/18

White Powdercoated door sill guards air dam piece for the space between the truck and the radiator

150 LED light strip to put under the back glass so I can see back there when I open the doors.

9 quarts of Mobil one synthetic gear oil for the differentials and transfer case.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Mike

The Lin Cont passed 50K today.

1400 miles in 4 days and I am home, no issue, no close calls.

Can't ask for much more.

-chart-

finally got the ranger put in my name, got it registered, and back on the road again.

got it all washed up, and the remnants of the decals removed.

post-417-0-70054400-1343887202_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-14813300-1343887257_thumb.jpg

also got the explorer console mounted properly. re-painted the black pieces on the console, and got my custom shift boot and knob installed.

i had to take the stick out of the truck and take a grinder to the factory knob, it would not come off otherwise.

the cheap universal shift knob i bought was too small for the stick. and the set screws it came with were tiny and soft, and stripped the first time i tried to tighten them.

so i had to grind the stick down a bit, re-drill and tap the shift knob and put in bigger, better set screws. all set.

also got some standard black floor mats.

post-417-0-46597300-1343887284_thumb.jpg

I've been a bit busy lately, I have been focusing on getting the beater 98 contour sport on the road after the SHO ate the starter. I put in some headgasket repair stuff, new waterpump, used fuel filter, used coolant, used thermostat, cleaned the carpet, new front rotors, new airbag diagnostic control module, and put its original wheels back on the front in place of the bald steelies I had on there for storage. And yes, please laugh at the fact that I put in a used fuel filter, t-stat, and coolant because if you saw this car you would understand why the very very bare minimum is being put into it money wise.

IMAG1699.jpg

Before, found a drug paraphernalia ticket in one of the seats when I bought it so this was a required thing. I found 2 pipes to prove it too...

IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1702.jpg

After! Looks and smells Sooo much better now... Haha

And I picked this up for the ranger today, from a 99 mountaineer with 96k miles. 3.73 locker.

IMAG1711.jpg

What did you do to the carpet to make it look so much better?! Wow!

Ranger console looks great rookie!

What did you do to the carpet to make it look so much better?! Wow!

Ranger console looks great rookie!

Well it was a long process... I hosed it down with the garden hose for probably a good half hour until the water started running clear. Then I applied some foaming carpet cleaner we had around the house, let it soak and dry, then applied another coat, and finally one more as I loaded into the truck. Pressure washed it at the local car wash for over 10 minutes (paid for with change I found in the car! Haha) and when I ran out of quarters it was still running brown. Brought it home and ran the garden hose over it again for about another 10-15 minutes until it ran clear again. Let it dry overnight. This car was bad, worst I have ever seen, had to wear rubber gloves, mold under the carpet, you name it. It's better, the one foot well area really didn't come all that clean but I am satisfied with the results!

Shoot for what you paid for the car, those are excellent results for the cleanliness of the carpet. I am very impressed. Good work!

Thanks nick, I think right now I'm under 600 total for this car. I just insured it today and driving it around it seems to run well. Warm idle seems low and it did actually stall out on me once, its also a bit hard for me to drive without letting the clutch slip more than i want because the throttle plate sticks closed a little bit. The rear spring is broken and the struts are beyond shot, they do nothing, the car bounces like mad, I'm gonna get carsick driving it. So Monday its off to u pull r parts for a set of struts. So it needs work but I'm glad its drivable and insurance was cheap (150/6 months)

Got the front lifted 2.5" with Bilstein 5100's

Gotta put the rear shocks on today and get new tires monday.

:WOOT:

IMG_8204.jpg

Guest Jay144

Well, the Vic has decided it doesn't like reverse. When I try to back up, it's like I'm moving with the emergency brake on. If I'm on an incline trying to back up, the car won't move. This happens when the car is at operating temperature. When first started (cold), reverse works fine. Going forward is OK, but there are times when, starting out from a stop, I get a jerk, like the torque converter wasn't locked. I suspect the TQ, but I don't have too much mechanical knowledge about automatic transmissions. I've dropped the pan and changed the filter, as well as drained the TQ. Refilled with Mercon V. Didn't help. So, Monday, it's off to a reputable transmission shop to get a diagnosis.

Am I correct in suspecting the TQ? It's the AODE transmission, which I thought was fairly bullet proof. I had the same transmission on my '92 Clubwagon, and got 350,000 miles out of it.

Edited by Jay144

Well, the Vic has decided it doesn't like reverse. When I try to back up, it's like I'm moving with the emergency brake on. If I'm on an incline trying to back up, the car won't move. This happens when the car is at operating temperature. When first started (cold), reverse works fine. Going forward is OK, but there are times when, starting out from a stop, I get a jerk, like the torque converter wasn't locked. I suspect the TQ, but I don't have too much mechanical knowledge about automatic transmissions. I've dropped the pan and changed the filter, as well as drained the TQ. Refilled with Mercon V. Didn't help. So, Monday, it's off to a reputable transmission shop to get a diagnosis.

Am I correct in suspecting the TQ? It's the AODE transmission, which I thought was fairly bullet proof. I had the same transmission on my '92 Clubwagon, and got 350,000 miles out of it.

99.9% sure it's not the TQ. It operates in the same manner regardless of gear selection, it's bolted to the engine, which always turns the same direction.

I suspect a band or drum issue in the tranny. Disc or drum on the back? With drums it is possible the brakes are indeed causing problems, check for loose hardware or weak springs. Be wary of discs w/ drum type e-brakes.

Guest Jay144

It is disc brakes all around. I'll have to look to see if it had the drum type parking/emergency brake.

If I'm backing up and put it in neutral, the resistance goes away, and the car rolls nice and easy, so I'm pretty sure the e-brake is not an issue.

I'm the third owner. I do know that the tranny fluid has been changed at least once, because the factory plug for the dip stick tube was not in the pan. The magnet was pretty clean, too. There was some kind of milky white substance mixed in with the fluid when I dropped the pan, though.

Edited by Jay144

My dad had the fusion go in on Friday for its 30k mile service

oil change, full inspection, and he had them do a tranny flush as well.

He also convinced them after several failed attempts to remove one of the rear door panels, there had been a rattling and rolling noise like something was bouncing around in there since he bought the car. They found a grommet of some sort and a pin retainer rolling around in there as well as the door handle/latch mechanism loose. He flat out told them, do not test drive the car because you won't hear it, (dealer never hears anything) just open it up and find it. Just in time before the warranty expires in 6000 miles, unless he renews it.

It is disc brakes all around. I'll have to look to see if it had the drum type parking/emergency brake.

If I'm backing up and put it in neutral, the resistance goes away, and the car rolls nice and easy, so I'm pretty sure the e-brake is not an issue.

I'm the third owner. I do know that the tranny fluid has been changed at least once, because the factory plug for the dip stick tube was not in the pan. The magnet was pretty clean, too. There was some kind of milky white substance mixed in with the fluid when I dropped the pan, though.

I don't like that last part. Reading about this I agree with Josh above on his first comment. nothing wrong with your brakes.

And FYI...I hope your coolant isn't mixing iwth the transmission fluid. I know the internal trans cooler to the rad can and is known to fail, meaning your coolant and your trans fluid make a nice mix.

We finally got my brother 93 F150 Flareside to running right so here is an exhaust clip of it

He still has some more to do to it but considering what it was like when he bought it it is 100 time better.I'll have to get some pictures of it tomorrow,since we also just buffed and waxed it.

Guest Jay144

It doesn't appear that the coolant is mixing with the tranny fluid...the stuff in the overflow is nice and green, and smells like anti-freeze. The level has remained right where it should be.

Freakin' cars are just as bad as girlfriends and/or wives...once they know you have a little extra cash, they find a way to spend it.

It doesn't appear that the coolant is mixing with the tranny fluid...the stuff in the overflow is nice and green, and smells like anti-freeze. The level has remained right where it should be.

Freakin' cars are just as bad as girlfriends and/or wives...once they know you have a little extra cash, they find a way to spend it.

When mine mixed, it only mixed in the tranny fluid at first... then progressed to mix into the coolant later on as I kept driving on it.

I changed the 2003 escapes oil today, it was the first time using the new design FL 820s filter.

Blacked out the rear ambers and took an updated pic of the front of the cherokee

IMG_20120805_194530.jpg

IMG_20120805_194250.jpg

My mom got the letter from Ford today about the recall on her 2003 escape. Cruise control cable repair related to engine cover.

Guest Jay144

99.9% sure it's not the TQ. It operates in the same manner regardless of gear selection, it's bolted to the engine, which always turns the same direction.

I suspect a band or drum issue in the tranny. Disc or drum on the back? With drums it is possible the brakes are indeed causing problems, check for loose hardware or weak springs. Be wary of discs w/ drum type e-brakes.

You are correct in that it's not the TQ. Something internal took a crap. There was sludge all over the pan when the mech dropped it, and the fluid had been drained and changed recently. The tranny is coming out today and being taken apart to see what's what.

So far, I'm $400 into it...I'm sure that figure is going much higher.....

So far I'm about halfway done replacing all the vacuum line in the 2001 Escape (Duratec) and no closer to fixing the cold idle issue.

My mom got the letter from Ford today about the recall on her 2003 escape. Cruise control cable repair related to engine cover.

Huh. Better let my grandma know.

Does this have any affect on the car w/o cruise being used? She never uses it, but if something can go wrong w/o it being on, I'm gonna let her know ASAP.