Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

57 minutes ago, ShelbyRacer78 said:

Oh please, imagine what happens when you let a 24v DOHC V6 free.... 

I don’t have to imagine that. Now, you imagine an extra 100HP from it’s Ti-VCT cousin. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I broke... A Craftsman hammer, a bunch of screwdrivers (Craftsman and El-Cheapos), 2 breaker bars, 2 3-Jaw Pullers, a 14 mm socket, and a chisel. 

Why? Replacing a bad wheel hub where the CV Halfshaft decided to not play nicely. Just gonna replace the damn halfshaft and call it a day. 180k miles in Illinois Salt is havoc on car parts. This makes me want to put some grease on the bolts when I take my tires off to prevent them from rusting so badly... However, underneath the Endeavor still has a nice undercarriage. 

Salt sure does make working on cars horrible. Just getting my winter wheels off I usually need a block of wood and a BFH, sometimes heat is needed as well. They started using the brine this winter so that will be nice I'm sure.

First mod done to the charger today.  On Friday, I ordered a taillight lightwrap by LuxeAutoConcepts.  It came in the mail today and I applied it after work.  I didn't go dark so I chose light smoke.  It went on super easy and I was done in less than 10 minutes.  I'll update with pictures tomorrow.  Just enough tint to make the taillamps look good and doesn't affect brake lamp output hardly any since they are LED.  Taillamps are unaffected.  Still need to tint the windows.

Jeff

17 hours ago, Vulcanator said:

Salt sure does make working on cars horrible. Just getting my winter wheels off I usually need a block of wood and a BFH, sometimes heat is needed as well. They started using the brine this winter so that will be nice I'm sure.

I sand the rust off the center pilot of the spindle and put wheel bearing grease on mine with a Q-Tip. Lightly sand the dirt off the wheel center hole. Same for rotors. Next time they come off easily. Next time no rust on the steel and I just wipe it off and re-apply. Saves my temper or dis-temper. :rolleyes: (rust belt old coot)

-chart-

So, back to the Endeavor... 

Vo3VOLL.jpg

After first carefully cutting off the nut with a dremel, I could not free this. After frustration of breaking a ton of pullers, hours with an air hammer, I sledgehammered it. Then after that failed, I tried to start cutting it, but realized I was gonna need another cutting wheel to remove this thing. So I just decided to replace the halfshaft... 

So...

S7bilc4.jpg

I just cut it out. I couldn't slide it through the hole :(

UPXB1kl.jpg

Tons of PB Blaster was used, but it is out. 

mjMOjux.jpg

New hub, new halfshaft, parking brake reinstalled

klGcfda.jpg

Rotor and caliper installed. 

qjsDLL6.jpg

I decided... To put some grease in the center to prevent it from rusting up. As PM now, any car going forward gonna apply some grease/oil to the center hubs to prevent rust from being an issue. Having 190k miles and all original, not surprised. Many other parts came out just fine thankfully. I had to unbolt the spindle to slide the halfshaft in, and all those bolts came out beautifully once sprayed with PB Blaster. 

All the tools I broke during this project...

EMt07lk.jpg

Thankfully most have lifetime warranties, and already returned the crappy 3 jaw pullers from Harbor Freight, the threads stripped out very easily, go figure lol. 

Gonna need to go to Sears and warranty all my Craftsmans before Sears closes down lol. 

I think what caused my hub to fail was my exhaust rusted out between the muffler and a clamp. For awhile, I just ignored it, but during the winter, all the heat from the engine would cause that entire wheel to condensate. But all new parts now, it should hopefully outlast the truck. I just want it to last another 3 years. I think that is doable. Thankfully the body was undercoated by someone so I can still work on it safely. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 8:01 PM, Angrod said:

Got the Fiesta to touch triple digits on Thursday morning. I was late for work, traffic wasn't letting me merge onto I-70 and the Transit van waiting behind me kept creeping ever closer to my bumper. Once I had an opening I let it rip to redline in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, then went to fifth and kept it pinned until I reached 100. I then coasted for a mile until I caught up with traffic in front of me. Never saw the van again and I felt a little better. The car was surprisingly composed for being so small and light.

Moral of the story: Don't get in my way when I'm mad and running late. I do dangerous things.

Run a RWD 3.5 EB at WOT and then we'll talk about dangerous, your lucky to keep the thing going straight. And thats in a vehicle that weighs more than two of those Fiestas. Just remember Matt...respect the power.

Vulcanator, I think the salt brine is as bad if not worse than regular rock salt, the dust it creates gets on and inside of everything.

Edited by Thub
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thub said:

Run a RWD 3.5 EB at WOT and then we'll talk about dangerous, your lucky to keep the thing going straight. And thats in a vehicle that weighs more than two of those Fiestas. Just remember Matt...respect the power.

Vulcanator, I think the salt brine is as bad if not worse than regular rock salt, the dust it creates gets on and inside of everything.

As someone who had to road test a 2018 SVT raptor. holy sh!t those 3.5TTs fly. Btw, I work for a ford dealership now....

Speaking of power....my little 1.5 ecoboost Fusion couldn't hold a candle to the Pentastar V6 in my Charger.  I know it isn't a V8, but that Pentastar puts out V8 power(maybe not hemi power), but well above Fords 4.6 V8 found in all the panther cars and the F150.  This car is what I missed about my Sable(that na 3.5 was no slouch either).  So far, it says I'm averaging 20 mpg which is only 2 mpg less than the Fusion in city driving.  It rolled over 500 miles yesterday.  Wish I could've afforded the V8 Charger(only for the smile factor when my foot gets heavy), but in no way regret the car I chose and I do not miss the Fusion at all.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

Speaking of power....my little 1.5 ecoboost Fusion couldn't hold a candle to the Pentastar V6 in my Charger.  I know it isn't a V8, but that Pentastar puts out V8 power(maybe not hemi power), but well above Fords 4.6 V8 found in all the panther cars and the F150.  This car is what I missed about my Sable(that na 3.5 was no slouch either).  So far, it says I'm averaging 20 mpg which is only 2 mpg less than the Fusion in city driving.  It rolled over 500 miles yesterday.  Wish I could've afforded the V8 Charger(only for the smile factor when my foot gets heavy), but in no way regret the car I chose and I do not miss the Fusion at all.

Jeff

A detuned, early 90's engine vs a modern day V6?  Of course the V6 is more powerful.  

Finally installed a receiver. Been meaning to do this for a while.

vyxMJn.jpg

S6nWn2.jpg

Install wasn't that bad. The slowest portion was drilling the 1/2" holes for the bolts closest to the bumper. I used the jack to hold the front portion against the frame after bolting the rear up so I could easily drill the holes. Then I let it down some and loosened the back a touch for final adjustment and to make it easier to get the front bolts aligned. The only tools I needed was a drill with a 1/2" bit and a 3/4" wrench.

I'll be picking up a transmission cooler and a flat 4 brake light plug-n-play harness soon. Hopefully I'll get started on installing my air ride swap once I get done with this semester. That'll give me more time to work on that project since it'll be an involved process. 

The rack and pinion went bad on the trusty old Impala.  I've got the car loaned out to my sister right now and little did I know my 17 year old nephew has been keeping the tires hot driving it.  I'm not too thrilled about that being it was my late mother's car and teens are usually rather irresponsible, but anyways last week he called and told me it was driving funny.  Well, after 14 years and 170k miles it lost power assist on left hand turning maneuvers and also seemed to bind up some as well.  So, that was replaced today with a trusty cardone reman unit and tomorrow it'll get a front end alignment done.  I guess it'll go back to her house and probably spend the next month or so there.  I haven't seen the car in a month so I'm going to inspect it before it goes back out there.  If they are abusing it then I'm just going to bring it back home and he can walk as far as I'm concerned.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, TaurusKev said:

So, back to the Endeavor... 

After first carefully cutting off the nut with a dremel, I could not free this. After frustration of breaking a ton of pullers, hours with an air hammer, I sledgehammered it. Then after that failed, I tried to start cutting it, but realized I was gonna need another cutting wheel to remove this thing. So I just decided to replace the halfshaft... 

So...

I just cut it out. I couldn't slide it through the hole :(

Tons of PB Blaster was used, but it is out. 

New hub, new halfshaft, parking brake reinstalled

Rotor and caliper installed. 

I decided... To put some grease in the center to prevent it from rusting up. As PM now, any car going forward gonna apply some grease/oil to the center hubs to prevent rust from being an issue. Having 190k miles and all original, not surprised. Many other parts came out just fine thankfully. I had to unbolt the spindle to slide the halfshaft in, and all those bolts came out beautifully once sprayed with PB Blaster. 

All the tools I broke during this project...

Thankfully most have lifetime warranties, and already returned the crappy 3 jaw pullers from Harbor Freight, the threads stripped out very easily, go figure lol. 

Gonna need to go to Sears and warranty all my Craftsmans before Sears closes down lol. 

I think what caused my hub to fail was my exhaust rusted out between the muffler and a clamp. For awhile, I just ignored it, but during the winter, all the heat from the engine would cause that entire wheel to condensate. But all new parts now, it should hopefully outlast the truck. I just want it to last another 3 years. I think that is doable. Thankfully the body was undercoated by someone so I can still work on it safely. 

Sometimes it takes a bigger hammer, more heat and more swing. But then for me, forget saving the part and buy more new parts. Commercial shops often use the impact and forget torque wrench. Tighter is better. NOT!

-chart-

BJseparate.jpg

Did the Vibe's oil today. I put about 5100 miles on it since I bought it, never did an oil change, the sticker on the window said it was freshly done when I bought it. Well, turns out that was true. Oil came out nice and clean, and appears to have no oil loss. 

Everything underneath appears to be clean. Very few minor rust spots on the subframe I intend to tackle this summer. The car really is rust free for the age. I intend to keep it that way. 

Was a bit in shock when I checked my owners manual though for my engine, it uses 3.9 Quarts of oil. I am not used to that little of oil lol. That little 1ZZ-FE, I love it. When I was under the car, I discovered how easy it is to do so much in there. Makes up for all my complicated massive engines... 

GM 3.9 uses 4.0 Q.  As in my Lucerne.

But: What do they know?

-chart-

Did the tuneup to the Vibe today. I love this motor so much... 

Plugs and PCV valve all I really could do to it. 

20180406_122156.jpg20180406_122526.jpg

Find it intriguing that the coil pack has 4 leads on it... 

20180406_123653.jpg

Old plugs + 1 new one. 

Also, since I have so many cars... Trying to keep tabs on things easier... 

20180406_130946.jpg

Now when I am ready to do an oil change, I don't have to bring a bunch of sockets with me and guess which one it is. 

• Like 1

Our old first gen Scion xB had the 1NZ-FE engine, basically a 1.5L version the 1.8L 1ZZ-FE. For such a small car and engine bay, there is ample room to work (exception being the accessory belt). Prior to the xB my wife drove an Echo with the same 1.5L. Both cars remained in the care of mature family members and each have well over 300k with basic maintenance. The Echo was taken out by a deer last summer. Excellent little engines. 

Replaced my driver's side window...

fUVkEC.jpg

This happened at work Thursday night. It wasn't a break in, but someone was screwing around with a BB gun I guess. I was thinking an animal originally or an errant object tossed up by a car, but the other day my coworker noticed two cracks in his windshield with small impact points. He claimed he hadn't seen them before and could only assume they appeared at the same time my window got broken.

fwqYgd.jpg

FWIW, my window was broken towards the bottom of the sill near the mirror, and the impact point didn't knock a hole in the glass (the large hole looks like the glass just fell out by weight alone). Based on his windshield and my window, someone was being an ass. Since I didn't have time to wait for an insurance claim to fix my window (and today I knew it was going to rain), I paid $20 for one from the junkyard. I grabbed a good, unscratched one from an '07 Crown Victoria.

vDHbE5.jpg

tI6E7D.jpg

It wasn't a hard fix, but not exactly a job I ever expected to have to do. It's the principle of the matter that someone was going around dicking with other people's stuff and causing trouble. If anyone has had to deal with broken safety glass inside of a car, you know the fine fragments get everywhere and you find bits of broken glass in odd places. It took several rounds of vacuuming to get everything out.

• Confused 1

You'll still find glass in the car somehow.

• Like 1

Sadly. Each time I've had a broken window, never fails to find an odd piece of glass. 

• Haha 1

Experienced used car friend told me you never get rid of broken glass. In the pic the top glass gone, and windshield in countless tiny needles. That was 7 years ago this month. Car is in my drive for getting ready for inspection now. 90K miles later no stray glass found now. I removed the seats and blew it out with leaf blower, and used shop vac. Removed def vent cover and the individual climate outlet grilles. Used compressed air and shop vac through out and got 99% of it. Compressed air on the seat cushions in the yard. Lots of effort but it can be done.

Top glass is little squares and is relatively harmless. Windshield is another story.

-chart-

CarTree2b.jpg

12 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

Sadly. Each time I've had a broken window, never fails to find an odd piece of glass. 

Yeah, how long after we replaced those two busted front windows on your 2005 Taurus did we still find fragments of Redneck Diamonds inside? :P 

1 hour ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

Yeah, how long after we replaced those two busted front windows on your 2005 Taurus did we still find fragments of Redneck Diamonds inside? :P 

And my Econoline has been busted into before, always found random glass in that too. 

I swapped out some of the original trim parts and upgraded to OEM brushed and machined aluminum replacements on the ‘15 Mustang. 

64192F99-9EF4-47ED-9BC3-FF0DC0FA35BC.thumb.jpeg.3d9c686f0e11fd40e1a1e67c501f4965.jpeg

4B675E82-41C2-49A2-9D3D-BCE6C2EFD9B0.thumb.jpeg.665d24a17ba1f8647d4dd25f392ee9a7.jpeg

C9EFEE63-33F9-4F07-867A-9FE49B323455.thumb.jpeg.1c21d286672a540bf1ad04205b6d78b9.jpeg

283B9644-F47A-417B-8C8D-7BAF344676B9.thumb.jpeg.4f12b0745d8f3aa971be10998ba0a45b.jpeg

• Like 1

The new trim on the Stang looks sharpB)

We got our old 4Runner back a little while ago. The wifes friend we sold it to moved and couldn't take it with her. It needs a front hub and cv axles to drive again and I've been cutting rusty sections from the wheel wells. It should be a good winter beater/camping rig again when it's done.