What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

The truck came with 2 mud tires on the front that were fairly worn, and two road tires on the back that were also fairly worn. Holy SHIT those mud tires were loud.

So I gave in and bought 4 new ones, Some cheap all terrain tires, I was going to go with some road tires but the open rear diff has enough trouble keeping traction so I wanted to try to give it some help.

SO MUCH less road noise, now I just need to fill the holes left in the doors from where the PO installed towing mirrors without capping off the slots for the regular mirrors and I should be able to hear myself think over 40mph

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

Returned some furniture yesterday to the GF's family. While I was down there they enlisted my (read: trucks) help with moving some trailers around.

Truck did well! Then I snapped this corny shot on the way back home.

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SHOenough said:

Returned some furniture yesterday to the GF's family. While I was down there they enlisted my (read: trucks) help with moving some trailers around.

Truck did well! Then I snapped this corny shot on the way back home.

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

:P

Your truck is powered by soft rock and roll, bald eagles and grunts of "Murica!"  

• Like 2

Replaced the spark plugs in the Suzi today. I had a hunch that my misfiring issues under load were due to bad or worn plugs and BOY was I right!

923uQ1

All the old plugs looked the same. Uniform wear with no signs of combustion issues in any cylinder. The insulator on one plug looked like it got rather hot at some point, might have been combustion gas slipping past the threads. Anyways, the engine runs MUCH smoother now. No more misfires and is a lot quieter.

Now about those motor mounts......

• Like 1
On 5/28/2017 at 7:00 PM, Angrod said:

Replaced the spark plugs in the Suzi today. I had a hunch that my misfiring issues under load were due to bad or worn plugs and BOY was I right!

IMG_20170528_165204_zpstmg2d5eq.jpg

All the old plugs looked the same. Uniform wear with no signs of combustion issues in any cylinder. The insulator on one plug looked like it got rather hot at some point, might have been combustion gas slipping past the threads. Anyways, the engine runs MUCH smoother now. No more misfires and is a lot quieter.

Now about those motor mounts......

Champion spark plugs at that, I won't even use those in a lawn mower engine, junk.

I sold my 54 Cadillac Coupe DeVille today.  A factory AC car with all the options.  It was between 70-80% done.  Haven't touched it since 2011 or 2012.  Kept saying next year....it was time to liquidate it.  Buyer got a great car for a great deal.  Over $17k invested.  Let it go for $10k was asking $12k....didn't really have to sell.  I promptly bought a 78 Chevy C10 SWB 6 cylinder truck to replace it.  It needs just about everything, but parts are cheap.  Will be doing a 5.3/4L60E swap on it.  Otherwise will be stockish in appearance.  I owe $2k on my mortgage so I'll probably go ahead and pay that off while I'm at it.

Jeff

• Like 3

Got the Marquis back from the shop today. New A/C compressor and a properly charged system means things are back the way they were. :D Icy-cold A/C just in time for the heat to really start ramping up.

• Like 3

Marquis needs to go back to the shop. The compressor is short cycling and not cooling. It'll run fine on startup, but about five minutes later and it's no good.

...sigh. Bloody car.

On 5/29/2017 at 11:11 PM, Jeff said:

Will be doing a 5.3/4L60E swap on it.

Any particular reason for the 4L60E and not the 4L80E? Much stronger transmission!

10 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Marquis needs to go back to the shop. The compressor is short cycling and not cooling. It'll run fine on startup, but about five minutes later and it's no good.

...sigh. Bloody car.

Which crappy aftermarket compressor was used?

cant you get an OEM one from rockauto still?

34 minutes ago, Bull Geek said:

Which crappy aftermarket compressor was used?

cant you get an OEM one from rockauto still?

Shop used a new compressor from Murray. They tried a re-manufactured unit first (I know this since they get parts from my store), but it was bad out of the box.

Unfortunately they don't accept parts across the counter, otherwise I'd supply the stuff. When I get back from PA, I'll take the car in on Monday to get it checked out.

Never ever install a POS reman compressor. Never ever. New reman or New OEM if possible.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:21 AM, SHOenough said:

Any particular reason for the 4L60E and not the 4L80E? Much stronger transmission!

For a daily driver, no need for the bigger trans, especially in those older (lighter) trucks. 

So the check engine light keeps turning on and off. Usually takes a couple driving cycles. Not sure what is causing it. It's probably still the O2 sensor circuit fault but I don't know where the issue might be. I couldn't get the O2 sensor out to look at it (will need an impact.) The wires look good for what little length is exposed. I have noticed that I have a small exhaust leak somewhere up front as I can smell exhaust occasionally. It has a stronger than normal acrid scent. I wonder if the downstream sensor is plugged? Especially since the second cat is so far away from the engine. There is no way it gets hot enough for the catalyst to work properly. I might end up getting a new exhaust at some point.

Put in a temporary heater hose for the wagon on the show field :lol:. The heater hose that ran under the intake apparently got a pinhole leak at the 90 degree bend (right at the front above the water pump area), which shot coolant into the radiator fan and sprayed it across the engine bay.

I came up with this ugly fix until I can get the proper moulded hose:
UBtQZE6.jpg

The zip ties are holding it inline without kinking the hose I got. I didn't want the hose just flopping about in the engine bay, nor did I want it resting up against the hood, so for now, it's braced against the low pressure A/C line and the A/C compressor bracket. Usually I also don't carry coolant, but since I haven't taken the wagon on a really long trip, I did, and that definitely helped here. I filled up the overflow tank outside of Columbia, SC, which took maybe 1/3 of a gallon, if that. Refilling the radiator and some of the overflow tank took the rest of that gallon. I'm going to pickup more coolant tomorrow to top off with.

I don't know when the hose went, but it did make a bit of a mess. Luckily it didn't run me dry. 

• Like 2

So, I bought yet another vehicle.  I surely didn't need it, but I didn't buy it because I needed it.  I bought it to help someone out.  My coworker is in his late 60s and recently got custody of his grand kids due to issues with their parents.  Now he and his wife are raising a 3 year old and 13 year old.  He needed to make some money rather quickly so I purchased the truck from him.  He bought it new and was his daily driver until about a month ago.  It needs the paint freshened up, but otherwise everything works...even the AC.  It's a black 1995 Ranger standard cab, 2.3 w/ manual transmission 139k miles AND OBD2!  Now, I'll be able to haul a few things.  I've ordered all new lenses and assemblies for the whole truck.  One fender will need painted (OReilly delivery driver hit with delivery truck twice and he replaced it twice but never painted the second one.  Body is super straight....runs good.  No check engine light, but I did buy a tune up for it for peace of mind and will be servicing the gearbox in the next week.  I'm going to have the fender painted and have the upper cab and hood painted....then put a pinstripe on it.  Got a set of black plastic Westin bed caps to tidy up the bed rails and a tailgate cap to match.  My plan is to use it as much as I can and daily it in winter months.   If I find I'm not using it then I'll likely sell it on and hopefully make a little money.  I tend to try and fix them up as close to  new as I can so if I lose money at least  I helped out a great friend and co-worker when he really needed it.

Jeff

• Like 2
On 6/2/2017 at 11:29 PM, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Put in a temporary heater hose for the wagon on the show field :lol:. The heater hose that ran under the intake apparently got a pinhole leak at the 90 degree bend (right at the front above the water pump area), which shot coolant into the radiator fan and sprayed it across the engine bay.

I came up with this ugly fix until I can get the proper moulded hose:
UBtQZE6.jpg

The zip ties are holding it inline without kinking the hose I got. I didn't want the hose just flopping about in the engine bay, nor did I want it resting up against the hood, so for now, it's braced against the low pressure A/C line and the A/C compressor bracket. Usually I also don't carry coolant, but since I haven't taken the wagon on a really long trip, I did, and that definitely helped here. I filled up the overflow tank outside of Columbia, SC, which took maybe 1/3 of a gallon, if that. Refilling the radiator and some of the overflow tank took the rest of that gallon. I'm going to pickup more coolant tomorrow to top off with.

I don't know when the hose went, but it did make a bit of a mess. Luckily it didn't run me dry. 

That zip tie work tho

Wagon has a bit of a miss at idle and at low speed it feels like there's a chugging sensation (or a studder, what have you...) on light throttle applications. It smooths out above 25 MPH, so I'll need to look at the cap since it may have gotten coolant in it, then check the wires and plugs. I figure it's likely ignition related since everything else has been fine.

I think it started after we got back to hotel Saturday after dinner. I don't think it enjoyed the speed despite managing to keep pace with the Fusions. :ph34r: I truly hope it's something basic. For 1,200 miles and the most serious issue being a ruptured heater hose, I'm impressed. It didn't even use any oil!

However, it's just not suited for the modern interstate with people jumping up and down with speed. I like cruising in any vehicle, but once I hit North Carolina, it's stupid trying to manage anything. I literally hit South Carolina, and everyone took off doing 80 MPH, which left me to be able to cruise appropriately (72 MPH). NC and up just go so damn slow and there's a lot more trucks. It'll still go on trips, but probably more that take two lane roads at 60 MPH.

The '97 went back to the shop today so they can look at the A/C some more.

Verdict on the '97 is in, evap core!

31602244.jpg

They checked the system with UV dye, found no leaks. Used a sniffer for refrigerant, got it coming out of the vents in the car.

Super excited to toss more money at that, but gotta have A/C, but not until next week, since I don't want to touch savings. I'm a cheap bastard sometimes.

Edited by Kodachrome Wolf

Installed my old tach into the Suzi. It took me a while to get the wiring right but it's in and functional. The only issue is I can't get it to dim with the dashboard lights. It works in reverse of the dash for some reason.

My reasons for the install are simple: 1) so that I know when I'm about to blow it up and 2) so that when I'm not driving like an idiot I can maximize my fuel economy by shifting sooner. I didn't realize I was revving to 3k on my 1-2 and 2-4 shifts.

q5Amwx

• Like 2

Well the A/C in the truck gave up the ghost on Friday. Cycling, but not staying on.

There is green all over the compressor so it looks like that's the culprit. Thought about getting another recharge but that would just be delaying the inevitable - and a full system only lasted 3 weeks so...

2 hours ago, SHOenough said:

Well the A/C in the truck gave up the ghost on Friday. Cycling, but not staying on.

There is green all over the compressor so it looks like that's the culprit. Thought about getting another recharge but that would just be delaying the inevitable - and a full system only lasted 3 weeks so...

That sucks to hear. Are you planning on doing the work yourself or having a shop replace the components?

As far as things going on with my vehicles, I still have the F-150 hanging around since I haven't had the time to take it back, so it got loaded up with more yard waste. At the landfill, the right rear tire was noticeably low. Went to the gas station to use the air pump and you could hear an obvious leak. I aired it up, drove quickly to the nearest Discount Tire and got the tire patched. That truck wears 275/60R17 tires, and a matching tire would have been about $205 out the door if the existing one was not repairable. As far as the object goes that caused the issue, somehow I picked up a drill bit.

5 minutes ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

That sucks to hear. Are you planning on doing the work yourself or having a shop replace the components?

Still better than an EVAP Core!

Unsure, I'm trying not to vent the probably 10psi thats left in the system into the atmosphere but at the same time, its literally right on top and a new compressor runs between $170 and $200 so its not that much.

If I can get labor for ~$100-150 including the refill I might just have the shop do it.

Been driving the Supercoupe a lot lately, I remember why I loved it... :wub:

I am such a car hoarder...