What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

24 minutes ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

I like approaching a corner and not having the car turn into a bowl of jello. I like some stability in my suspension.

In the same thread, you completely revamped the suspension under your Fox so that it wouldn't ride like a Fox from that era. 

The sable would scare you.... Or Ant's car again.... 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

I like approaching a corner and not having the car turn into a bowl of jello. I like some stability in my suspension.

In the same thread, you completely revamped the suspension under your Fox so that it wouldn't ride like a Fox from that era. 

I didn't say that doing so was a bad thing. ;) 

Wagon decided today wasn't a good day to finish its shock job and stared cutting out on me. Managed to get it back to where I keep it and parked it. Now to start going through things and crossing out suspect components.

The '97 lost its A/C driving to the store. Now I really hope I can get the wagon alive tomorrow. I figure A/C will be a nice thing to have on a long distance trip, however if I can't get the wagon going, I'll just have to deal with the lack of A/C.

Ugh, cars lol.

Today I filled up my T-Bird, got an impressive 16 Mpg. However, after filling up, I started it right up... Annnnd... Volt gauge was at what it would be for normal 12 Volts... Was going to go shopping, but decided to go home to be safe. Get home and get my trusty multimeter, sure enough 12.2 Volts DC. Put all the accessories on, it was dropping. Tested alt output, it was same, so alternator was not outputting electricity... So, I decided to just reseat the voltage regulator, and after that, I heard the alternator start to whine. Touch the battery terminals with the multimeter. It's climbed back up to 14.3 Volts. So, impressed with the quick fix for my Thunderbird, I decided to try that on the Roadmaster, as that too has a failing alternator...

Well, I start the Roadmaster up, and it sounds like royal shit. Kept surging, wanting to die, over-revving. But I am aware of that with it's 7 DTC's. I disconnect the alternator's voltage regulator, idle drops to normal, and begins to purr like a kitten. Wtf? I figured it was a coincidence. I plug the alternator back in... Back to idling like shit. I am wondering if that alternator is the root of all my problems. So I fully charged up the battery, tomorrow I might take it for a spin around the block with the alternator disconnected, see if that truly did address all my problems. Quite weird... But damn. I even pulled up a wiring diagram of the alternator. It has the 1 positive lead to the battery, then 1 lead to the instrument cluster for the voltage light, and 1 pin for what appears to be the going to a hot fuse, assuming it tells the alternator how much power to output. But why it wants to kill the car? Lol. I did just buy a whole tuneup kit, I am debating if the car runs like a dream now, I might return the ACDelco OptiSpark/Distributor and drive it as is for now and just swap the alternator.

• Like 1

Got the wagon running right again. TFI module failed. Grabbed the TFI module tool and BWD TFI, cap, and rotor from work. It fired right off and did fine driving around town and on a short freeway run.

I used heat sink compound instead of that little grease packet included. It appeared whoever swapped the TFI last time used some white grease compound. I know MasterPro units will include white grease, as compared to BWD using clear stuff, so I assume the module I tossed was probably a cheap one.

After all that, I took it to a DIY car wash and hosed down the exterior then vacuumed the interior. Should be good to go tomorrow.

• Like 5

Swapped in new rear shocks in the wagon then drove to the beach. Got extra lucky with the old shocks since I found I could literally unscrew them by the body while holding the nut at the top. KYBs went in just as easily, and then just tightened down the nuts with the wrench. Was done in about 45 minutes. laugh

The rear shocks were as dead as the front: One completely shot, one compressible by hand and had very slow return only to about half extension. Both were garbage Monroe Gas-Matics. It drives much better with new shocks at all four corners.

Driving near the beach I had a guy from two lanes over ask if it was for sale while I was in traffic and the person in the lane beside me asked "Where's Clark?". Always fun to see the reactions from people driving around in clapped out station wagon.

• Like 4

Good job Zach. Glad you did those. Who knew haha. They felt like they passed bounce test...

i gota do fronts on the 90 - they failed.

• Like 3

I did too the rears shocks and front struts on my wagon. It was like a new car, especially the front not scraping over the smallest bumps in the road.

I am sorry I didn't go Gas-A-Just on rear, I matched the fronts... Strut-Plus has Excel-G shocks: SR4009/4010 and 344434.

Edited by SoNic

I removed the tie downs in the bed of the F150 to pull the bedliner out. They are held in by T27 torx screws, had to use an electric impact just to get them to move and then of course one of them snaps off so I'm stuck with half of the screws threads left in the bed.  I mean come on Ford, I get that those tie downs have to be able to really hold a lot of weight and pressure but geez, use a bigger bolt or screw then, not some little stupid T27 torx.

Its also amazing the amount of garbage that ends up under a drop in bedliner.

Roadmaster - I bought a rebuild kit for the alternator. The magical smoke dust from the old alternator that Nick thankfully kept will be getting a new lease on life. I tested the stator and rotor assembly - both pass, those are the main parts of the beast.

So the rebuild kit, which is pretty awesome, comes with the rectifier/diodes, voltage regulator, capacitor, bearings, and brushes. Everything looked good, but when I took it to my brother's parts store, it wouldn't even spin up, so it fails right off the bat, so I suspect the only issue is voltage regulator, but I'd like to replace everything.

The Supercoupe - It had a snapped seat bolt that held the passenger seat in, I finally took the seat out, drilled out the old bolt, and then tapped new threads in. Works great now - It held my fat ass. However, being an 80's Ford, I fix one thing, then the black plastic that hides the bolts on the dashboard on the passenger side, was cleaning the dash off, it snapped right off with simple touching... However driving it was fun. That is an awesome car.

• Like 2

Spare parts coming in handy!!

ive been on a cleaning spree. Thrown out tons of junk. Still lots to go in garage.

also cleaning inside the house too. Thrown out a ton in there.

i also bought another town car - picking it up in a little over a week.

will be looking at another this weekend/next week.  Both will be replacing some current vehicle fleet members.

IMG_5484.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

• Like 6
43 minutes ago, Bull Geek said:

Spare parts coming in handy!!

ive been on a cleaning spree. Thrown out tons of junk. Still lots to go in garage.

also cleaning inside the house too. Thrown out a ton in there.

will be looking at another this weekend/next week.  Both will be replacing some current vehicle fleet members.

Looking good!

It wouldn't happen to be this one would it? https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/6111214867.html

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, mmmfloorpie said:

If the car had no side mirror when he got it, how did it pass inspection? Lol

No inspections or emissions in SC

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bull Geek said:

4.6 cars or 302 cars?

Any specifics on which others are being replaced?

• Like 1

when I'm parting out crushed car, frame and body will be available. Rest will be in stash haha.

you all will see it revealed on Wednesday next week!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Bull Geek said:

when I'm parting out crushed car, frame and body will be available. Rest will be in stash haha.

you all will see it revealed on Wednesday next week!

images.png

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rohand901 said:

images.png

Buy rolling chassis, get cheap engine from junkyard, run it.

What's the Lemons price cap for everything? $500? I'm sure everything can be done within that range.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Buy rolling chassis, get cheap engine from junkyard, run it.

What's the Lemons price cap for everything? $500? I'm sure everything can be done within that range.

Who does the roll cage? I feel like that is the most expensive part of this.

Lemons runs in Kershaw every year. This is SO doable

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, SHOenough said:

Who does the roll cage? I feel like that is the most expensive part of this.

Lemons runs in Kershaw every year. This is SO doable

by the time you pay someone, it would be cheaper if I just bought a tubing bender. And me, probably, would build le cage. But its kind-of a moot point, cause I feel like its not gonna have a rear end, or motor/trans, or front suspension. Cause those are the desirable bits from an 03+, which nick of course knows and is gonna put into that $600 white one that he probably bought

#CrushTheFuckOutOfIt

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Rohand901 said:

by the time you pay someone, it would be cheaper if I just bought a tubing bender. And me, probably, would build le cage. But its kind-of a moot point, cause I feel like its not gonna have a rear end, or motor/trans, or front suspension. Cause those are the desirable bits from an 03+, which nick of course knows and is gonna put into that $600 white one that he probably bought

#CrushTheFuckOutOfIt

I keep forgetting that you can weld.

We need to do a Lemons car, what about the exploder? I know it has no engine but im sure a cheap junk 4.6 will fit

• Like 1

Perfect Candidate. I wonder if the cheapest sleaziest ebay honda civic coil-overs will fit on it, cause it needs ALOT more low. And its a green 90s explorer, so best car ever

• Like 1