What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

After work this evening I got around to dropping the trans pan on the Impala  to do a service and install my trans go shift kit.  I got everything pulled down.  Surprisingly there wasn't much gunk on the magnet or in the pan.  Fluid looked like motor oil and was well used, but I added trans tune a while back to help clean.  Filter was easily removed and lucky for me the collar came with it.  Practically fell out. I removed the accumulator and took it apart and rebuilt it using the kit which seems robust compared to the stock parts I pulled out.  I got it reinstalled and the lines put back.  Got the new filter collar into place and had to manhandle the filter back into place.  Almost gave up but then it finally pressed into the collar.  Got my new rigid gasket and new pan with the upgraded magnets into place and hand tightened( lazy man way so no cleaning plus it has a drain plug) , but I ran out of light so torquing them will have to wait until tomorrow. Then I can refill it with Dex III and take it on a test drive.  Success or failure TBD.

Jeff

EDIT:

Got everything buttoned up and 8 quarts of Wally World Dex III later the trans is like a whole different unit.  It isn't as crisp as new,but the shifts are 98% better.  It actually shifts really well again.  Instead of hesitating into second gear for a few or more seconds...it's there within a second.  Very very happy and $37 well spent.  After I do a few more drain and refills the fluid should clean up nicely. This trans should go a long while yet as there was really no alarming issues found. Every W body GM car needs this kit installed.  

Jeff

Changed oil and filter, transmission fluid, and brake fluid on the Mustang GT. 

It also needs both front lower ball-joints and (eventually) a water pump- the weep hole in the pump sometimes drips coolant. I've ordered a pair of new ball joints to get those taken care of next week. 

Rear struts went on the Impala today.  I was going to do them myself, but chose to have a shop do the rears mainly because I didn't want to get into the trunk and mess with that.  The fronts were no issue and super easy..except for having a stove up back for a day afterwards. Unfortunately my sway bar links didn't make it in time from Rock Auto so I'll have to install those myself.  For the front links I got the upgraded heavy duty Moog poly kit and the rears are standard OE style sealed for life Mevotechs.  Also, I'll throw in a motorcraft fuel filter while I'm under there.  Rear still hasn't settled so it should come down a little.  It definitely handles better with good suspension all the way around.  Feels much less wayward especially in curves.

IMAG0056_zpsmbmwubg8.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

Very nice. Looks like it's a new car in all honestly. I love it. :)

I took my Endeavor out for the first time in a long time. Poor thing has been sitting for awhile, and I felt bad for it so I decided to finally drive it a bit. Forgot how loud my exhaust was. I put it back and now driving the Bird again. The Endeavor is fun, but the Bird has Bluetooth, and it is quieter. :)

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, TaurusKev said:

Very nice. Looks like it's a new car in all honestly. I love it. :)

I took my Endeavor out for the first time in a long time. Poor thing has been sitting for awhile, and I felt bad for it so I decided to finally drive it a bit. Forgot how loud my exhaust was. I put it back and now driving the Bird again. The Endeavor is fun, but the Bird has Bluetooth, and it is quieter. :)

I really miss not having sync when I drive the Impala.  What type of kit did you put into your car?  I want to retrofit hands free calling at least, but I have to keep the stock stereo.  I haven't really done much research on it yet.

Jeff

I have a Pioneer Unit in it. 

20160718_204958.jpg

It isn't perfect, but it works better than my Focus did for handsfree. However... IIRC about the earlier Impala's, doesn't your car have an oil change reminder that you clear through the stereo?

I know for my Endeavor there's a company that does sell Bluetooth kits for it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grom-MITS02B3-Car-Kit-Bluetooth-Adapter-AUX-Android-iPhone-iPod-MITS02B3-/381451344382?fits=Make%3AMitsubishi|Model%3AEndeavor&hash=item58d04599fe:g:5g0AAOxycgVTfnTm&vxp=mtr However.... This is more than I paid for my Endeavor lol... Maybe there's a similar kit for the Impalas.

5 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

I have a Pioneer Unit in it. 

20160718_204958.jpg

It isn't perfect, but it works better than my Focus did for handsfree. However... IIRC about the earlier Impala's, doesn't your car have an oil change reminder that you clear through the stereo?

I know for my Endeavor there's a company that does sell Bluetooth kits for it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grom-MITS02B3-Car-Kit-Bluetooth-Adapter-AUX-Android-iPhone-iPod-MITS02B3-/381451344382?fits=Make%3AMitsubishi|Model%3AEndeavor&hash=item58d04599fe:g:5g0AAOxycgVTfnTm&vxp=mtr However.... This is more than I paid for my Endeavor lol... Maybe there's a similar kit for the Impalas.

Yes the oil change settings and all other personalization settings(key fob programming, locks, lights,etc) are set through the radio.  I found a company that retrofits Bluetooth and aux jacks into them, but it would cost about $225.00 and I'd have to send them my radio.  If I decide to get it done I may go that route, but I may just live with it.

Replaced the U-joints. The factory originals were still in place, and with 171K on them, they were allowing for excessive play.

New units are Spicer greasable U-joints. Everything is nice and tight now.

Future plans are to grab the aluminum or aluminum metal matrix drive shaft off of a '95-'02 police car to replace my steel one. Some of the '99-'00 CVPIs with the 3.55 rear ends got these aluminum metal matrix shafts which are supposedly even more resistant to critical drive line vibrations. That issue won't really every apply to me since there won't be a need to be going over 100 MPH, but it's interesting info. All I'll have to do is grab the drive shaft and a Fab Tech spacer through ADTR. I'll reuse my front yoke that goes into the tail shaft, install the drive shaft, and bolt the spacer to the rear axle, then bolt the drive shaft to the spacer. This will also cover any issues for whenever I finally get around to ordering and getting 3.55s installed in the rear.

• Like 1

I sold the Aveo!!!! So no more GM again, and I removed a car from my driveway. I am proud of myself. Next to get rid of the S/C. However... I would so trade the Supercoupe for a nice Colony Park... ;)

• Like 5
On 8/24/2016 at 6:43 PM, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

My Toy Car.....My Toy Car.jpg

I got one of those too!

P8140337.jpg

Only... I fucked up the front bumper paint. I accidentally let it run, and well, yeah, and I lost the mirrors. But still cool to have out :)

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

Yes the oil change settings and all other personalization settings(key fob programming, locks, lights,etc) are set through the radio.  I found a company that retrofits Bluetooth and aux jacks into them, but it would cost about $225.00 and I'd have to send them my radio.  If I decide to get it done I may go that route, but I may just live with it.

To me, that'd be worth it if it was on a Bose Premium audio system.

Mazda timing belt kit, drive belt, and coolant change done. Lubricated the drive belt tensioner and idler too. Sure missed the Galvanized fasteners that Audi uses on their cars(that actually come apart after being exposed to salt), but it was relatively painless.

Swapped in a new fuel pressure regulator on the Impala today.  The old one was OEM and was slightly bypassing fuel which made it hard to start once warm.  3.4 GM cars are known for this....mine lasted much longer than they usually do.  After I got it all torn down I decided to go ahead and replace the throttle position sensor and idle air control valve since the throttle body must be removed to change them and they were OEM too.  Ran to town and picked up both of those items and also the throttle body heater hoses.  Should be good for another 100K. Before starting it I got under it and installed a new Motorcraft fuel filter.  Runs like a champ...super smooth... and even better easy starts when warm. No more extended cranking for me.  The old IAC was pretty gunky and seemed sticky.   TPS was really just because.   I think this thing is going to be new by the time I'm done.  I threw the budget out long ago.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Snagged used a Panther to haul around some unobtainium Panther parts.

9IPt4As.jpg

Still have to hit up a few other cars to collect additional parts. By some odd grace, the local Pull-A-Part wound up with a '91 LTD CV police package car with the 351 V8 and a '85 Country Squire within a few days of each other. Both are rather suitable parts donors, since both have model specific parts that have become increasingly difficult to find anymore.

• Like 1
On 8/11/2016 at 11:54 AM, Gentz said:

I did some searching and back in 2012 they should of made a new PCM for this issue.

Did they replace your PCM?

Edit: 

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-durango/348382-fishbite.html

This is a good thread. but i have a feeling your probably researched it too.

They checked and there are no DTCM or PCM updates to my Durango. Dodge has no concept of customer service, and fish-bite becomes elephant-tug when towing.

What did I do today?  I repaired some light damage on the Impala from hitting a deer with it last night.  I had time to react so I probably hit it at 10 mph or so.  In the middle of a pouring rain storm I might add.  Luckily, point of impact was the passenger headlight assembly which forced me to run my high beam the rest of the way home probably blinding other folks in the rain.   It pushed the bumper cover over slightly and bent the headlight mounts and pushed in the grille/bumper mounting panel( fiberglass panel that bolts to the core support).  The only other casualty is a nasty scratch on the core support from impact of the headlight adjuster(I'll just use some touch up paint to keep moisture away from the bare steel as its not major).  No idea how nothing got bent up externally, but I guess luck was on my side.  I freed the trapped light assembly this morning and ordered another at work which arrived at 1:45 this afternoon.  After work I loosened the fender and slid it back over( when the mount bent it forced the fender out slightly...opening up the panel gap at the leading edge of the hood). After it was acceptable..I bent the fender mounted headlight bracket back into position.  Then I pulled the bumper back over and got it into position and retorqued the bolts there.  I took the two grille panel bolts loose on the passenger side and pulled it back out.  I was able to then fit the replacement headlight assembly back into place.  I still need to tweak the grille mounting panel as the bumper cover sits lower on the hood shut line on that side than on the drivers.  So I'll loosen it back up and pull it up slightly and then retighten.  Reaimed the new headlight once it got dark and now it looks as if nothing has ever happened.  I really got lucky.  Not too sure why or how the fender survived.  They are super thin metal even the OEM were thin, but I'm not complaining.  I guess I had someone looking out for me.  I'll post pictures soon.  BTW,  I've put around 1400 miles on this car since spring.  It really drives nice.  My $230 head gasket job seems to be holding up well so far.   I may not drive it after dark anymore though.

Jeff