What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

3 hours ago, machausta said:

Oh, almost forgot to mention... the Durango is in the shop for the past week or so, no action taken when I called to check on it.

Then, the rental (Dodge Journey) decided to crap out. 

rental.jpg

Story time: First ever car I bought new was a MK7 (2015) GTI. It was the second one in SC and I was so excited to get it. Well, it was a huge piece of shit and spent 10 weeks in the shop over the 10 months I owned it. One of the loaners I had was a brand-new Jetta with the 1.8t. Had it for exactly one day before the oil pump shit itself and then the engine shit itself. I spent so much time in loaners that I'm fairly certain that I just overpaid by 10K for a base model Jetta

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

I took some shots of the car outside today.  I don't think it will need much wet sanding at all.  The drivers door has some orange peel at the leading edge, but otherwise it looks really slick.

IMAG0026_zpsr77siewy.jpg

PART_1470252906784_IMAG0025_zpshmwktkks.

The Deltron gave a much better color match overall, but it was also blended out onto the front doors where the Omni was butt painted.  I will update again most likely once the car is pretty much reassembled.

Jeff

• Like 4

Got my JBL head unit with CD function today. It came out of an Explorer, and works fine. It just has an extra button for a clock display, but otherwise looks and works like the Lincoln one I had that was cassette only.

Last thing to do will be wiring in the CD changer once I get that and that should wrap up the JBL saga. It'll be a 100% complete setup with all the options.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, machausta said:

Oh, almost forgot to mention... the Durango is in the shop for the past week or so, no action taken when I called to check on it.

Then, the rental (Dodge Journey) decided to crap out. 

rental.jpg

Maybe you need to let Sergio know that you want a different brands vehicle as a loaner when your FCA vehicle lets you down.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Thub said:

Maybe you need to let Sergio know that you want a different brands vehicle as a loaner when your FCA vehicle lets you down.

The only problem is that FCA will only pay for other FCA products as "loaners". This is the 2nd journey I've received as a loaner with the same issue -- enterprise doesn't bother flashing the ECU until it happens though.

5 hours ago, machausta said:

The only problem is that FCA will only pay for other FCA products as "loaners". This is the 2nd journey I've received as a loaner with the same issue -- enterprise doesn't bother flashing the ECU until it happens though.

That's because they don't want to risk loosing you as a customer. They give you something crappier than your Durango...a Journey, so you want your Durango back.

Imagine if they put you in what the competition offers, an Explorer or a Traverse, I bet it would cross your mind "this is nicer than my Durango" maybe I should think about trading it in. They want to avoid that at all costs.

I never really see many Durangos around here, the Explorer owns the market up here. I'd say for every Durango I see, I'll see 10 Explorers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Thub said:

That's because they don't want to risk loosing you as a customer. They give you something crappier than your Durango...a Journey, so you want your Durango back.

Imagine if they put you in what the competition offers, an Explorer or a Traverse, I bet it would cross your mind "this is nicer than my Durango" maybe I should think about trading it in. They want to avoid that at all costs.

I never really see many Durangos around here, the Explorer owns the market up here. I'd say for every Durango I see, I'll see 10 Explorers.

Many of which are dark blue with WSP graphics. :P 

:(image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm unfortunately having to replace a rear tire that got punctured on my drive home after work last night because of some debris left on the highway, but in the meantime you can see the quad shock setup that the 8.8" Traction-Lok rear end the Mustang GTs got. This separates it from the 7.5" non-LSD rear end used on the 4-cylinder LX. 

image.jpeg

The silver 16" Pony wheels are going on the GT this weekend, while the black 15" Turbine wheels will be moved to the LX. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Thub said:

I needed something that checked off a certain number of criteria...(in 2014 when we started looking)

Tows 7000 lbs

6+ seats

Wont be refused a U-Haul trailer (like the Exploder)

Under $25k

Now, I'm not against any particular brands, other than GM. My two GM products suffered from crap build quality, plastic junk interiors, boring styling, and reliability issues. This left me with the following list:

Durango* (HEMI required to tow up to 7400 lbs)

Pathfinder* (only one model towed up to 7k lbs)

I just couldn't find anything else quite in reach of the budget at the time, so I picked the better of the two cars, considering that the Pathfinders we looked at all had major issues.

7000lbs on a unibody, no thank you. IMO Tahoe or Expedition would have been a better choice.

Sent from my XT1250 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Thub said:

7000lbs on a unibody, no thank you. IMO Tahoe or Expedition would have been a better choice.

Sent from my XT1250 using Tapatalk

The camper itself is 5000 lbs, with gear etc about 5800, but I didn't want to get something that had a 6000 lbs limit because that's just too close for comfort. Not getting a GM product (Tahoe) and the Expedition just seems huge. 

I've already taken the camper several hundred miles with the Durango and honestly its a very capable tow vehicle, we even got really good mileage.

10 hours ago, machausta said:

The camper itself is 5000 lbs, with gear etc about 5800, but I didn't want to get something that had a 6000 lbs limit because that's just too close for comfort. Not getting a GM product (Tahoe) and the Expedition just seems huge. 

I've already taken the camper several hundred miles with the Durango and honestly its a very capable tow vehicle, we even got really good mileage.

I've towed upwards of 3000lbs with the 02 Explorer when I had it. The fully boxed frame and suspension was up to the challenge but the 4.0L was not a big time pulling motor and obviously the braking was dramatically different.

I had the chance to tow the same load with my friends 1999 F250 7.3L when he had his DP tuner, holy crap. You really didn't even know the truck was loaded at all, that was hardly even a warm up for that truck. I think Ford rated the reg cab long box 7.3L to tow 9800lbs, but that truck could drag twice that with ease.

Baby steps.

NOS front fender charcoal moldings installed. I decided not to reuse the old ones and got both sides new old stock (both manufactured in 2004)  for $11 each. Rocker trim installed with all new clips and hardware sourced from ebay.  Aftermarket inner fender liners installed (as much as can be without the bumper in place). These aren't near the quality of the OEM liners, but will serve the intended purpose.  They are super flimsy and thin where the OEM were thick rigid plastic which is likely why both broke with just a small hit.  Still waiting on the front bumper and mirror.  It's been unbearable the last few days so progress has slowed, but that gives me time to catch up with the assembly at a slower pace.

IMAG0029_zpsyvaqklnb.jpgIMAG0031_zpsbawfxm4h.jpgIMAG0030_zps2qp6nx48.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, 2000_Gold_Taurus said:

How quickly the fleet changes when you look the other way :)

And when one realizes how slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww 4 bangers are lmao. I did warn him :ph34r: I have been driving the Aveo for a week since I've fixed it... It's sooooooooooo slow. I forget I can't make quick decisions in it lol. Even the 2012 Focus, or the 2015 Impala I drove had much better 4 bangers. But those are modern 4 cylinders that actually were designed to have the power of a V6. The Mustang LX and Aveo LS? Those were designed to be slow lol.

• Like 3

Well... I did tell you so. But you wanted one that wasn't ragged on :P;)

7 hours ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

If I hear "I told you so" one more time, I'm gonna park a 4-cylinder Fox on your front lawn. ;)   :ph34r: 

Make it a Fairmont. I wouldn't be mad if one of those just appeared on my lawn.

• Like 2

The GT's air conditioning had to be retrofitted for R134A and completely recharged today. It now blows nice and cold. :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

By the way, I actually found this video on YouTube about my exact car. :P  It's from a local dealership that specializes in older collectible cars because this GT was for sale there about 3 years ago. I'm now the third owner of the car since this video was made, including who ever bought it from North Shore Classic Cars in 2013. 

7 hours ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

The GT's air conditioning had to be retrofitted for R134A and completely recharged today. It now blows nice and cold. :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

By the way, I actually found this video on YouTube about my exact car. :P  It's from a local dealership that specializes in older collectible cars because this GT was for sale there about 3 years ago. I'm now the third owner of the car since this video was made, including who ever bought it from North Shore Classic Cars in 2013. 

Do you even need A/C in Illinois?

2 hours ago, SHOenough said:

Do you even need A/C in Illinois?

Summer weather here is in the high 80's to 90's typically, and since July we've had bursts of very high humidity from scattered thunderstorms and also being close to the Great Lakes. So yeah, there is definitely a use for A/C up here.