What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

I just got the van back from the shop. Insurance decided to repair despite $18900 in damage plus the rental for 4 weeks. The body shop appears to have done an excellent job, although there are a couple rattles and squeaks now [emoji19]. It was a long day taking the rental back to Calgary and picking up the Chrysler,4 hours each way.

9D05CB6E-E13C-41DA-B2FE-BDF4090F9B19_zps0g4luiww.jpg

59E718EE-77EE-478B-83AF-72EAD83E6E7B_zps78ojruw1.jpg

4360ED76-E415-4C26-AA28-5F6BE5B61426_zpsqhonl7py.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Vulcanator said:

I just got the van back from the shop. Insurance decided to repair despite $18900 in damage plus the rental for 4 weeks. The body shop appears to have done an excellent job, although there are a couple rattles and squeaks now emoji19.png. It was a long day taking the rental back to Calgary and picking up the Chrysler,4 hours each way.

9D05CB6E-E13C-41DA-B2FE-BDF4090F9B19_zps0g4luiww.jpg

59E718EE-77EE-478B-83AF-72EAD83E6E7B_zps78ojruw1.jpg

4360ED76-E415-4C26-AA28-5F6BE5B61426_zpsqhonl7py.jpg

Looks good!

What did you end up hitting? It seems low and large

The mother in law hit a highlander that stopped suddenly for a yellow in an intersection

So I got this beauty back in January and been on and off working on it since. Haven't really touched her in months though. When I bought it, essentially all there was to it was a running engine, but barely. All of the interior was out of it and in boxes, and most all the wiring, dash, vacuum lines, ac, etc was taken out and in boxes. So I have a complete car but in pieces lol. Ive installed the lights and the flip doors and had to figure out the vacuum lines for it, still working on the sequential turn signals, got a lot to do but my next step is to rebuild the engine, because finding the few parts I'm actually missing is expensive and rare! But ive always wanted this car and I couldn't be happier to have found it. 

IMG_20160630_144610253.jpg

IMG_20160630_144629217.jpg

IMG_20160630_144601805.jpg

IMG_20160630_144554875.jpg

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, Roach said:

So I got this beauty back in January and been on and off working on it since. Haven't really touched her in months though. When I bought it, essentially all there was to it was a running engine, but barely. All of the interior was out of it and in boxes, and most all the wiring, dash, vacuum lines, ac, etc was taken out and in boxes. So I have a complete car but in pieces lol. Ive installed the lights and the flip doors and had to figure out the vacuum lines for it, still working on the sequential turn signals, got a lot to do but my next step is to rebuild the engine, because finding the few parts I'm actually missing is expensive and rare! But ive always wanted this car and I couldn't be happier to have found it. 

That's looking fantastic

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Roach said:

Ok, I'll bite... What is it? A Capri? Cougar?

On 6/20/2016 at 1:17 PM, Rohand901 said:

Turbo.JPG

You need the bottom end of a 2.3L turbo engine...the SVO block is the strongest, but you could use a Merkur XR4Ti, Probe GT, or T-bird one.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, machausta said:

You need the bottom end of a 2.3L turbo engine...the SVO block is the strongest, but you could use a Merkur XR4Ti, Probe GT, or T-bird one.

The Probe GT has nothing to do with the 2.3L engine found in Mustangs/SVOs, XR4Ti's, and T-Bird Turbo Coupes.  

Shockingly... The tune up on the Endeavor went very smoothly... :ph34r:

Had to remove the upper intake manifold to perform the job, but that was actually quite easy. I did also change out the valve cover gaskets because when I took some of the spark plugs out, I noticed a bit of oil was in there, so that was an easy job too except one bolt snapped. Thankfully I had enough grip with some vice grips and I was able to extract it, buy a replacement, and re-tap the threads which probably took me an extra 30 minutes.

20160702_152250.jpg

20160702_153300.jpg

And also, I forget how much I love trucks. I did the entire tuneup without lifting the vehicle up, and part of the tuneup was an oil change

Just crawl underneath and everything is easy to get to

20160702_192924.jpg

Again... I kind of think I was the first to do the tuneup, as the plugs were old looking NGK's, however since I didn't disconnect the battery like a good technician should, I had 4 codes from all the things I removed, so cleared those up and all is well. Also took it out for a spin and it feels much more alive, I really hope my fuel economy goes up a bit. I generally average about 16 MPG, so 2 MPG better than my 95 Wagon.

I think next I should tackle the transmission-related stuff for new lube. My $100 Mitsubishi is surely becoming a great truck.

I fixed the "MAX" A/C in the F-150 today. The plastic vacuum line going to the recirculator door was dryrotted and full of holes, so I cut it back to a little ways inside the wire loom, replaced it with a length of hose, and put some shrink tubing on the junction for good measure.

It's nice to have an easy fix once in a while.

Installed a brand new vent tube for the rear axle after the old one had dry rotted and fallen off some time ago.

Also greased up the front suspension since it was getting the creaks in the turns. I must have been a bit behind, because now moving the steering wheel at low speed is like silk. The circulating ball cars have smooth steering regardless, but when all the front end components are greased, it's effortless. :)

• Like 2

(This really belongs in "what have you done to your Bull lately....) 

Spent the last of my car fund today on tires. Over the last month I've done: 

Tires - Hankook Optimo, balance & align

Struts - KYB Strut Plus

Sway Bar Links

Tune Up

Did a back roads drive and it feels like a brand new car. :D Will be great to get it out long distance in October. 

• Like 3

The Impala was being masked up earlier today and hopefully in the coming week it will be finished.  The place doing it is old school and does not have a booth, so he has to make sure humidity and whatnot isn't too high or the paint will solvent pop a little later down the line.  He does a lot of work for car dealerships and on those cars this does not matter as they ship those cars out pretty quickly so they don't usually linger too long.  I understand why he hasn't gotten around to finishing my car yet and I appreciate that he is trying to ensure that the paint he puts on the Impala actually stays put and lasts.  He does outstanding work given that he doesn't have all the super expensive equipment that the big guys have.  Nick and others have seen his work on the 09 Sable at the spring meet.  I went up there last week and removed the remaining moldings to make the job look better where he's blending back onto the doors.  I try to help as much as I can as he is not really making any money from doing this car and so it waits it's turn when the good paying jobs come in which I'm okay with.  The only molding I left in place was the charcoal moldings running down the centers of the doors basically because these are double sided taped on and I didn't want to mess with them as they are stuck down good(plus they sit slightly off the door and masking them is rather easy so there shouldn't be any overspray problems)  The window reveal molding's cannot be easily masked and usually you can see a paint line there on most any car that is painted without removing them(my 09 Sable included below the C pillar window on the passenger side).  Luckily the color of my Sable hides it pretty well and it is a small area, but I didn't want to take that chance on this car because there's much much more being painted.  Also, I ordered a few items to address the P1811 transmission code "maximum adapt long shift".  100% of the cars equipped with the 4T65E have this at some point.  Basically it's an increase in line pressure to keep from burning clutches because the PCM thinks there is a problem with the pressure control solenoid which makes the trans shift super hard.  There may or may not actually be a problem with the PCS, but transgo has made a kit to "fix or significantly reduce" the hard shift without having to disassemble the transmission to replace the PCS.  Very involved and you must drop the subframe.   P1811 does not set on the engine light, but will show up when scanned.  If anyone has ridden in a W-body car that shifted super hard then you know what I mean when I say hard shift and this is a P1811 symptom.  So basically it cures the symptom and not the cause which I'm okay with because GM programmed the tolerances so tight that just a small lag in shift time...as quick as .2 seconds or therabouts will set this code and cause the issue.   You can also have the P1811 programmed out of the PCM which was also suggested to me, but I really don't want to do that.

So, yesterday I purchased one SK4T65E transgo kit, one Sonnax lube tube clamp(one of the accumulator tubes can actually back out as it's not held by anything and cause a fluid flow issue and in turn cause shifting issues).  Sonnax made a clamp that goes around both tubes and clamps them together so they are both secure(I don't think I have this problem, but putting it in for good measure).  I got an accumulator gasket(since I must remove and take apart the accumulator to install the transgo kit), GM says this gasket is reusable, but I don't trust them.  I also got a good FelPro reusable pan gasket with the metal insert and crush sleeves(same as OE which GM also says is reusable). I bought a replacement transmission pan by Dorman that includes a drain plug as an upgrade so I won't make a mess if I do this again.  Also I will be performing GM TSB 08-07-30-040B which upgrades the magnet in the pan from one regular magnet that's likened to a refrigerator style magnet to two circular extra strength magnets(one in the old magnet location and one on the end of the filter itself) to keep any metal particulates in the pan and out of the PCS.  I bought the Allison version of these magnets(carry the same GM part number, but from Allison are $6 cheaper each than the same magnet from GM. At $18.00/pair they are still pretty pricey.  I will buy a filter and the trans fluid next week locally once I get these parts in.  This is the first thing I'm going to do to the Impala once I get it back.  I've had SeaFoam trans tune in it since I did the engine work to try to clean up the PCS and inner workings which is what was recommended to do prior to installing the Transgo kit.  I'm trying to do this car right and to make it dependable for the long haul. To date, I've spent quite a lot on this car which has put me behind on starting the 89 wagon.  Probably more than the car actually books for at this point and I still have more to do(suspension rebuild).  I already hinted with Nick, but I may drive the Impala to South Carolina in October if I feel it is up to the task.  He says the line is drawn at no Imports. Technically the Impala was made in Canada so I'm not sure that it qualifies as domestic.  The 89 wagon is likely  to become a winter project which I'll likely pay out of pocket on and let a professional tackle the engine issues.  It will also need everything that this Impala has needed and likely slightly more given its age and overall wear.

I'll keep you all updated...

Jeff

The wagon can still have my 95's powertrain... once I get it out... I can't wait to see the Impala all fixed up.

Today I did a bit of car work. I began replacing the Aveo's timing belt. However, even though I did this job before on another Aveo, I could have sworn I got away with using channel locks to tension the timing belt. Well I couldn't this time, and I need the special 41mm wrench to tension the belt. So... Small price to pay to do it right. I am also glad I purchased a thermostat, because while I was working on it, the brittle plastic thermostat cracked, which is normal on Aveos as they're shitty cheap Korean parts. I think the Aveo itself is a solid car, but the cheapness in critical parts is what ruins them. Cheap pulleys, cheap thermostat housings, but the car is meant to be a cheap car. The Aveo makes me appreciate the Mitsubishi as that was much easier. To apply tension on the Aveo, the water pump has to be rotated. I hate that idea. I'm afraid of the gasket getting fucked up in the rotation causing it to fail or slip. But with this, new thermostat, this car should be a rock solid car to sell. The battery is pretty new, tires are in great shape. I'll detail the entire car, and then try and sell it. Hopefully I can get $2500 for it. That'll make the owners very happy if I can I would imagine :)

Also I might have someone interested in the supercoupe. So time to expedite detailing that so I can try and sell that too. I can't wait to minimize my fleet. Then I can focus on my 95 Wagon.

• Like 1

Aveo is timed! Finally! I now await 2 more parts to make the engine perfect (Air cleaner related) and then just cleaning and repairing minor things, and the car should be ready to sell!

I fucking forgot why I hated timing belts though, such a royal pain in the ass.

1 hour ago, TaurusKev said:

Aveo is timed! Finally! I now await 2 more parts to make the engine perfect (Air cleaner related) and then just cleaning and repairing minor things, and the car should be ready to sell!

I fucking forgot why I hated timing belts though, such a royal pain in the ass.

Yeah, I'm glad that I should never have to worry about servicing mine again in the 2.3L for as long as I own it, due to the amount of miles I will drive that car. 

• Like 1

Belts do age, and they do fail as well from age. :P

But should be good if you garage it.

On another note, I did finally replace the head unit in my Blue Bird. The old one was starting to go out, so I threw in the one from the Oldsmobile. It sounds amazing in there :wub:

20160718_204958.jpg

• Like 1

The Marquis hit 170K on a recent trip. We've reached a point where a few things need to be addressed over a few months.

I've got to change/take care of:

-Engine Oil and Filter (OCI was at 170K on a 5K interval)

-Transmission Fluid (Fluid was changed by Ford at 125K, and was done prior at 60K. Might as well do it now for preventive maintenance purposes.)

-Brake Pads and Rotors, front and rear. (Going to have a shop do it so they can look over the front and hopefully get rid of that godforsaken brake shudder I've had since I got the car.)

-Brake Fluid Change

-Coolant Flush

-Tire Alignment Check and Rotation (Haven't had the car's alignment checked in a while. The tires don't have any abnormal wear, but better safe than sorry. Firestone isn't making their Precision Touring tire anymore so that's another white wall tire that I can't get anymore. The only Firestone offering a white wall now is the FR710, a regular All-Season. <_< I'll likely wind up with that or either Hankook Optimo H724s or Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP IIs when the time comes to get new tires.)

Everything else seems to be pretty good at this point. I serviced the rear differential probably 10 or 15K ago, so that shouldn't need to be messed with anytime soon. The front end was greased prior to the trip since it was starting to make some slight creaking noise.

Edited by Kodachrome Wolf
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

That Pioneer stereo went from a junkyard T-Bird, to Scarlett, to the Bravada, and now back into a T-Bird. :D 

I do miss my Bravada :(

That truck had one of the best A/C systems I've ever used... :(  But at least now my Thunderbird can be loud. The factory unit sucked. I considered getting the premium audio, but if I remember correctly... The 90's Premium audio sucked. If I could figure out how to get the audio to pass through the Mach amplifier... I would do that. I do prefer the factory look, but I also want to enjoy the sound. I also need to find the trim ring as it wouldn't fit in the Olds.

I did a thing. B) Window tint is finished on the Mustang, and my air conditioning system is now repaired and working very well. Needed a replacement compressor and clutch which was very difficult to find in NOS Ford inventory (nobody sells a reman'd unit for a 2.3L Ford Fox-body that came with factory installed A/C) new low side pressure fittings and O-rings, and a recharge of R-134A. 

image.jpeg