Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Well this winter, even though it was a milder one around here, was rough on my car.  

Last weekend, I noticed am extremely small bubble in the sidewall of my front passenger tire, which surprised me, because the steering doesn't shake at speed and the car is tracking straight. Still, I'm going to look for my paperwork on the front tires, the 2 front ones were replaced last year for the same reason. Hopefully they are covered, but if not, I am not putting those tires, Goodyear Eagle LS-2s, on that car again. They are complete garbage, the car is so jittery and highway speeds that it is not funny, The car has had the alignment checked and it tracks perfect, it just feels like I even breathe on the steering wheel, the car tries to change direction. if the tires don't fix it, I'll be getting rid of it sooner than I had originally planned.

I did a few things to the inside of the impala today.  As most of you know...GM has a tough time making a button that the finish will stay on.  My Impala was no exception.  New cruise control switches require the removal of the airbag and they are also pretty pricey at $100.00/pair new.  My cruise switches performed fine, but all the finish was gone so they were just big glowing green buttons at night.  Not very attractive at all...even during the day.  So, I took some of my black interior dye and did this:

2016-05-03_11.34.25_zps3d2sjpuu.jpg

I know they are missing the words, but they look way more attractive than what was there prior.  Plus, it was free.  I liked it so much...I did the two radio knobs too...because they were pretty heavily scratched:

2016-05-03_11.34.10_zpskyj1tkyz.jpg

Surely, anyone can figure out what they do just by turning them....May not be the factory look, but it did smarten them up quite a bit. 

Started my deep clean of the interior as well....didn't get too far yet, but it was extremely nasty.  Here's the shots of the dash and steering wheel after a lengthy cleanup:

2016-05-03_11.34.43_zpsshl80bgi.jpg

2016-05-03_11.34.59_zpsivjcw580.jpg

There was nicotine on everything...I took the entire front dash apart including the vents and cleaned them and reassembled the dash.  Currently I have cleaned 3 of the 4 door panels as well...the 4th one has a rip in it...I may clean it up for now, but I'll be on the look out for a replacement as it cannot be repaired.  I power washed the floor mats today as well.  I've got the backseat out and all the little trim pieces removed.  I didn't have the right torx socket so I couldn't remove the carpets(yet).  That's a job for tomorrow or the next day.  I used a magic eraser(gently and lightly) on everything in the car.  It really cleaned it up nice....but I know you have to be gentle with those because they will eat through the finish in a hurry.  This is what I started with(you can see the clear buttons on that rather gross looking steering wheel):

2016-04-05_19.02.27_zpsh5vj9suv.jpg

The door panels were equally as nasty.  The interior is coming up rather nice to have looked so bad prior.  I think this is going to make a very nice car again.

Oh, and I also got these:

2016-05-03_11.37.23_zpsfgdsoxso.jpg

TYC NSF/CAPA certified headlight assemblies.  They sure do change the look of the whole car(even when it's still missing parts)

Jeff

• Like 3

Mmmm, I love watching cars get fixed up. Pretty smart with the interior dye for the switches. My Bravada was beginning to have the buttons wear off on the window switches.

Also I see a certain wagon in the background ;)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TaurusKev said:

Mmmm, I love watching cars get fixed up. Pretty smart with the interior dye for the switches. My Bravada was beginning to have the buttons wear off on the window switches.

Also I see a certain wagon in the background ;)

Yep!  That car is next.  I have most all the parts to do it.  Currently they are stored inside the car.  Every space except the drivers seat.   The Impala took priority since it was my moms.  I thought about turning it into an LS with sport appearance package, but then it would be so far away from what it was when she had it that I just couldn't do it.  

• Like 1

Pretty much what I did with the Thunderbird. I don't want to change it too drastically from what my grandmother had it as. And that sounds like my wagon too lol with every inch taken up with parts to restore itself too :P

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

Pretty much what I did with the Thunderbird. I don't want to change it too drastically from what my grandmother had it as. And that sounds like my wagon too lol with every inch taken up with parts to restore itself too :P

It seems that most wagons, when not in service, become storage sheds for parts.. LOL

• Like 1

I ordered a new WJB heavy duty front hub assembly for the impala today.  The LF hub is beyond worn out.  It's the source of my vibration and slight wobble.  The old hub is an Advance Drive Works hub from around 2009.  The RF is still OEM and has zero play( I may replace it in the near future just for peace of mind).  Also purchased a Denso downstream o2 sensor.  The engine light came on and when read said slow response from b1s2.   If that's the only issue I have then I'm doing good. Ordered everything from RA as they had the best price.  

Jeff

Started work on the exhaust. I'm getting rid of the aftermarket muffler I had put on the left side when I did the junkyard duals upgrade. I've already got the old H-Pipe off (muffler is welded to it) and the old left assembly off.

I've got a '07 CVPI H-Pipe and left assembly ready to go, but I need to make a cut behind the outlet of the muffler. This is because I cannot slip the full length of the pipe over the rear axle. What I'm going to do is bring the pipe from the back of the car up and over the axle like I did before, since I can get that to fit. I've just got to go get a coupler to fit the rear tail pipe and muffler together.

The car is going to be a little loud going to the parts store. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've been daily driving the Mustang as much as possible lately. Just reached the point of putting about a thousand miles on this car since I bought it in mid January. Work bonuses were really good for the past month, so I also just ordered weld-in subframe connectors (a vital Fox-body mod) and some suspension upgrades including the Eibach front swaybar to complement the big red Eibach bar already mounted in the rear. The 2.3L feels more peppy than when I first got the car... I think the list of maintenance tasks that have been done were what it desperately needed after sitting in storage for so many months. :) 

• Like 1

I got the driver's door to open on the LTD.

Unfortunately, I can't quite afford yet to bring it to the shop to get it driveable.

New hub assembly went on the LF of the impala yesterday.  Such an easy job compared to the 09 sable.  Plus this car has never seen salt so that could've contributed some as well.  Today it got an oil change.  The previous oil was changed when we tore down the engine three weeks ago. It was slightly contaminated on inspection today...likely with a small amount of coolant( not enough to turn it milkshakey).  I'll keep my eye on that, but I suspect it happened when the engine was torn down.  Took the entire interior out and power washed the carpets.  All stains except some pink looking stuff came out.  Luckily the front seat covers that area.  When I pulled the carpet I found a lake lurking on the passenger side(GM was nice enough to include a rubber plug  in the floor so it was easily drained)  Didn't know it was wet because the carpet is rubber backed.  99% sure it's leaking through the cabin filter.  These cars have a poor designed rubber seal that falls off allowing water intrusion.  GM now makes a water diverter that replaces this rubber seal. I ordered it tonight on amazon...GM 1579-4785 and I'll install it and a new filter once recieved.  This  didn't exist back when I had the car prior.  I remember this being a major issue for the W body cars years ago.  Mine didn't have the issue then.  Glad to see GM finally engineered a true fix for this.  Now I play the waiting game allowing the foam sound deadener to dry out before I reinstall the carpets and interior.  Also, it now has working horns!  The original horns on the 00-05 impala were bad about water intrusion due to location ( just forward of the rf tire) and so they would stop working.  Mine were replaced three times under warranty on this car.  Always came back. I managed to get the high tone working last week, but that simply wouldn't do...sounded terrible. After some research, it now wears 2016 Chevy Cruze horns installed on the oe impala bracketry.  The cruze horns have built in water shields that the impala horns do not so I hope the issue is finally solved.  Plus the impala horns were 32.00 each and the Cruze horns were 24.99 with free shipping for the pair brand new from an online chevy dealer, and they even use the same plug and harness so they were plug n play.  It's nice to have a working set of horns again.

Jeff

On Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Brian_05_SEL said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've been daily driving the Mustang as much as possible lately. Just reached the point of putting about a thousand miles on this car since I bought it in mid January. Work bonuses were really good for the past month, so I also just ordered weld-in subframe connectors (a vital Fox-body mod) and some suspension upgrades including the Eibach front swaybar to complement the big red Eibach bar already mounted in the rear. The 2.3L feels more peppy than when I first got the car... I think the list of maintenance tasks that have been done were what it desperately needed after sitting in storage for so many months. :) 

Stunning.

Finally have the exhaust the way I want it: Duals and quiet. :)
y8sFpA.jpg

Took the car to a local exhaust shop and in about 30 minutes they had got the system welded up nicely. The only thing you can't see is the hanger on the right side right behind the muffler.

The old Thrush muffler that was originally on the left side would drone around the 2000 RPM area and it was still noticeable even at 1200-1500 RPM. It sounded bad, inside and out. With the factory setup, everything is quiet, just the way I like it.

• Like 4

Awesome glad you got the exhaust how you wanted it :-)

The Impala went to the body shop today.  I told him I was in no hurry, but I should have it back sometime next week.  All that's left after that is to have a new windshield installed, new tires, and to service the transmission.  I've been running seafoam trans tune in it for the last few days to help clean it up a little.  The fluid is burnt that's in it now, but it does shift out rather well.  It has a few lazy shifts occasionally, but otherwise it pulls very well.  I took pictures of the power washed carpets back in the car.  I'll post those later.  It turned out really well.  I got all the interior put back in except for the back seat.  For the paint  I'm using Omni Plus base coat which is a mid range paint with Nason 298-00 clear coat.  We used rapidmatch to dial in the color a little more than just running the code since 929L is one of the harder colors to match once it's aged some.  I didn't splurge for Deltron 2000 this time. The plan is to paint the entire front clip and blend out into the front doors on each side.  The LR door has some scratches and if they can't be buffed out then they will be blending that side into the back door to take care of the scratches there and the rear bumper is just panel painted so here's hoping it looks good next to the 12 year old paint on the rear quarter.  So far I still don't know how much this is costing me, but whatever it is....it is worth it to me.  

Jeff

2016-05-11_15.22.02_zpswxkpq4wo.jpg

2016-05-11_15.21.50_zpswagnhup8.jpg

I'm not sure what those brown and pink stains are but they are definitely stuck in there.  Luckily the seats cover this area.  The rest of the carpet came up really nice comparitively.

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 4

20160515_170824.jpg

I think I just devalued and made my Mitsubishi more un-reliable (as the 3.8L Fords weren't anything to brag about...)

But I am sure this will piss off the Mitsu fans, the Ford fans, and the ricers :D

Lol....Kev.  your Mitsubishi is having an identity crisis.  I put a motorcraft oil filter on my impala.  Nobody understands why, but I know they are better than the Delco E core offering.  Maybe your Endeavor will prove to be built ford tough.

Jeff

• Like 2

I have a question....I have the opportunity to upgrade a few items in my Impala to make it seem more like an LS.  The LS door panels were available with a cloth insert to match the upper color like this :s-l300_zpsnjfg3mm0.jpg

I had the medium neutral made to match the upper color on mine because the color was rubbed off on my drivers panel pretty badly.  Now, it won't be fabric...it'd be vinyl, but it would give the same effect.  Here's my refinished door panel.  I have plenty left to do this modification. What say you?  I'm  on the fence about it.20160515_224218_zpsq0orkiyj.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

Finally got around to ordering the hitch for the Durango...was going to install the factory one, which is $350 in parts and pieces and hours of work, but ordered an aftermarket (under bumper) one for $108 and is 4 bolts with the same 750/7500 lbs weight limitations.

19 hours ago, Jeff said:

I have a question....I have the opportunity to upgrade a few items in my Impala to make it seem more like an LS.  The LS door panels were available with a cloth insert to match the upper color like this :s-l300_zpsnjfg3mm0.jpg

I had the medium neutral made to match the upper color on mine because the color was rubbed off on my drivers panel pretty badly.  Now, it won't be fabric...it'd be vinyl, but it would give the same effect.  Here's my refinished door panel.  I have plenty left to do this modification. What say you?  I'm  on the fence about it.20160515_224218_zpsq0orkiyj.jpg

Jeff

I like it! If you can replicate that on the other 3 I think it'll look really good!

Took the work truck through the car wash this afternoon before I finished my shift, pics were from early this morning. It's a 2016 Explorer XLT 4WD with 202A pkg, 3.5 V6, Ruby Red on Tan Leather, and it only has 45 miles so far. Loving this thing and it's very comfortable to drive.

13235000_787814414651525_1896213861_o.jpg

13230814_787816337984666_808167196_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Josh_GL_Limited said:

I like it! If you can replicate that on the other 3 I think it'll look really good!

Here's one of four.  Still need to purchase one LR panel to replace the ripped up one in my car.  I think it looks pretty good.  You don't see many like this.  Pretty sure it came with the sport cloth interior....aka some velour type of fabric interior.  I much prefer my standard cloth to the velouresque one.

20160516_195736_zpsgmozpgvc.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

Laid to rest the Explorer work truck today :'( A transport truck driver backed into it today while my coworker was using it on the other end of the lot. Destroyed most of the front end and most definitely bent the frame rails... 49 miles on it... RIP.

New work truck is a '16 Chebby Traverse LT FWD. It's terribleeeeeeee. 

If the airbags aren't blown....you'd be surprised.  Ive seen insurance fix trucks and spend $20k + to repair it because it was brand new.

On 5/19/2016 at 10:03 PM, Jeff said:

If the airbags aren't blown....you'd be surprised.  Ive seen insurance fix trucks and spend $20k + to repair it because it was brand new.

Oh it'll probably get repaired and sent to auction, the damage probably wasn't enough to total it but definitely would cross the $10k mark...