Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Oooh I want a red button for my car ! Third Bull can always use more horses... Vroom Vroom

• Like 1

Devin switched something from black to red in his car... meanwhile, I went from red to black today. :ph34r:  

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 1

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

D2E5FF1D-B5C5-4003-B7C9-1FD7C234E251.jpg

E187758D-3031-4B00-ABDE-C2B5196F3806.jpg

CD388CEB-2DC6-40B0-BB3C-D5E5294AEDB8.jpg

5FF75D0B-D1B5-425C-9206-7ABDB7E87009.jpg

• Like 7

Ordered spark plugs and plug wires. Autolite APP764s and Standard Motor Products OE style wires. Rockauto has rebates out for AC Delco and Autolite plugs, so I'm hopping on that once I get them.

I'm fairly sure I've still got 1997 original wires under the hood and the plugs I put in have probably around 30K or so on them, but might as well replace them at this point.

I have been upgraded to a nicer newer work truck (at least for the project I'm on now). Its a 2013 Silverado, LT All Star Edition, Z71 4x4, 5.3L V8 Crew Cab-Short Box.  This a pretty comfortable truck to drive and spend a day in but these trucks are lacking in technology and the power-train is so so and its made worse by the poorly executed active cylinder management that forces a good V8 to run like a pile of crap. A solid work truck though.

Tried to catch more of the LEDs lite up but they flash too quick, so only 1/4 on the front are on.

IMG_20160419_105500256_zps3b5lbv27.jpg

In preparation for Sunday I've purchased the following list of parts for the 2004 Impala project.  I custom made a head gasket set a la cart at work because it was actually cheaper to do it that way than to buy the head gasket set that I wanted, which included the Severe Duty Felpro head gaskets.   So my custom list of parts include:

58-323 Water Pump  $11.09 (has new one on from a year ago with less than 5 miles on it, but will likely swap it anyway)

3125-03 Ultima Select spark plug wireset $16.66 ( has new ones on from a year or so ago with no miles on them, but they break easily so these are for backup)

(2) 511175 Exhaust Hanger( broken so will put new on while under the car) $1.36ea

Thread Sealant(liquid) $ 2.27

Red Hi Temp silicone  3 oz $3.15

7046 Radiator cap $5.81

3899 195* Thermostat w/seal $4.90

61053 TBI Mount gasket $.99

(2)EG24332 Exhaust Flange Gasket $3.99ea

ES72892 Head Bolt Set $24.40

(2) ES71190 Injector O-ring $3.74ea

(2) ES70599 Injector O-ring $2.35ea

90441 Distributor O-Ring $1.44

MS96329 Exhaust Manifold Gasket $34.20

FL321 Oil Filter $3.82

(2)541SD Felpro Severe Duty head gaskets $18.27ea

615-205 Dorman Intake Manifold reseal kit(includes metal lower intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, egr, and assorted upper engine gaskets) $41.35

Total inc 9% sales tax was 228.36 
I don't think I've forgotten anything.  I already have two gallons of generic Oreilly Dex-Cool.  I just have to buy two gallons of distilled water to go along with it.  I also have the cooling system flush and 5w30 Valvoline Next Gen oil that I've purchased some time ago.  All in all....not as bad as I thought it'd be.  Hopefully it all goes as smooth as possible.  I'm sure I'll post plenty of pictures.  Rear bumper should be ready sometime this week as well...so I can get it reinstalled.

Jeff

• Like 1

Head gasket job was done on the Impala today.  Started at 8 am and finished up around 7:15 this evening.  Head gasket was blown on #1 Cylinder to the outside(rear head/passenger side).   Evidently, this is the most common cylinder where the gasket blows on the 3400.  Front head gasket was good when we removed the head.  Heads were okay so we just reinstalled with the new gaskets after cleaning it all up really well.  Block was slightly pitted where the gasket had been leaking...so evidently was probably leaking there for quite some time.  We cleaned that up best we could and I'm glad I bought the Severe Duty gaskets as they are thicker than the standard gaskets and have further reinforcement over the regular Felpro gasket.   I kind of figured it would be cylinder 1 as the spark plug for that cylinder was missing the ground electrode when I pulled them over a year ago. Also changed the oil before starting it.  Car ran great and fired up instantly afterwards.  I didn't drive it too far...it doesn't have plates or insurance currently.  It ran a good 30 minutes in the driveway and then took it around the block and it ran great.  I managed to run over the new inner fender on the drivers side because I forgot to tie it up....so I've got to order another new one.  Luckily...they are cheap.  We only broke two exhaust crossover bolts during dis-assembly.   They were replaced with a  grade 10.9 bolt straight through the flange...instead of a stud and nut type fastener.   Works great and only cost me 1.50 for the bolts plus no factory type could be had today.  So cheap fix on that.  I did insure the car about 2 hours ago and hopefully this week I can go register it.  I'll be towing it to the body shop tomorrow so that it can be made to be one color again.  Also on the test drive.....it was immediately noticeable that it has a bad tire....I'll have to address that situation relatively soon as well.  I only took two pictures and they are currently still on my phone.  They aren't very interesting....they are of the engine torn down to the block.

Jeff

• Like 2

Nice progress Jeff that's great!  That car will be up and running in no time.

Went ahead and picked up an Air Filter for my LaCrosse, going to maybe install that later today, I had it apart yesterday and while the old filter is not very dirty.it appeared to be the original filter from when it rolled across the assembly line in 2008, so even though the car has only 34k miles, i'm going to replace it anyway.  I am also going to pull a couple spark plugs as well just to check their gap and overall condition, because I'm pretty sure they are original to the car as well. 

• Like 1

So another annoyance with the Mitsu... Decided to look into the A/C system - 0 PSI of pressure on low side. I tried to pump a little refrigerant in... Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Investigated, the high pressure line, where it bolts to the body - rusted through. Not a big deal, super easy to get at, goes between condenser and evaporator. However... Can't find the fuckin line anywhere!!!

Ebay, RockAuto, Amazon, etc. So, I will probably need to go to the Mitsubishi dealership. However! I might just say fuck it and drive the Blue Bird for the summer. :)

New sticker!

IMG_4757.JPG

Oh, and new dent! Thank you ladies, for hitting me while you were both high as a kite.

• Like 1

Holy crap Devin, Sorry to see that happened to your car, what happened?

12 hours ago, Devin said:

New sticker!

IMG_4757.JPG

Oh, and new dent! Thank you ladies, for hitting me while you were both high as a kite.

Are you going to get it fixed?

• Like 1

Well replaced the air filter in the car, and comparing the 2 filters, it needed replacing.

For some reason it will not let me upload the picture, even though the size is well under the 1MB limit. 

:fakenopic:

1 hour ago, REDTRUCKCHASER said:

Oh No Devin ! How awful ! :angryfire:  Will you be able to get it fixed before Mopar show ? 

9 hours ago, SHOenough said:

Are you going to get it fixed?

9 hours ago, Turbosax2005 said:

Holy crap Devin, Sorry to see that happened to your car, what happened?

Here's the easiest way to explain what happened.

accident.jpg

I made my turn, and the other car made their turn after me. I had my signal on, but they must have thought that I was going straight at first, cut it wide, and boom. Called 911 and said there were no injuries, but needed an officer out. They asked if the cars were drivable, and when I said yes, they told us to come to the station to file a report. They didn't have any officers who could come out at the time. We get there, and I was told it wasn't Royal Oaks jurisdiction, but Pleasant Ridge's. They called PRPD and they had one officer on duty for the night, and he was out doing a DUI arrest. He would be tied up for the next 45 minutes to an hour. The two women didn't want to go, and they weren't filing a claim since they had a single scuff on their bumper, so they decided to just go home. When we exchanged info, as they left I could smell weed coming from the car, so they were probably both high. They also didn't give me any insurance info, so they probably didn't have any. (Not that it matters in Michigan. No-fault.)

Car goes in Monday. Needs a new door skin (assuming no internal damage), fresh paint, and then blending into the adjacent panels. Also working directly with Mopar on getting another decal kit, since this was a limited run package (1 of 50). As long as the police report comes back good after their investigation, I pay no deductible and will be deemed not at fault.

• Like 3

Changed the spark plugs and installed new wires. All the plugs were torqued down appropriately to 180 LB/IN (15 FT/LB).

I wound up with an odd ball plug after RockAuto told me that the 8 APP764s I ordered didn't all exist, just one. I decided to keep that one and replace the others with the APP104, the successor to the APP764s. I did photograph the differences between the APP104 (left) and APP764 (right):
Jv2T5ni.jpg

Both are Double Platinum plugs, however the APP104s are finewire style versus the older APP764. The most glaring difference is the full thread versus half thread setup. Most of this information is moot anyhow, since the APP764 and Motorcraft variants have been out of production and the APP104 is the direct replacement for it. I was aware of the APP764s being the half thread style ahead of time, which was also the reason I wanted to get them, considering that my engine only uses that little amount of threads anyhow. Both the of the plugs seat at about the same place once mounted, so there's no issue with using either.

Also, after doing the tune up, the car no longer pings at WOT! It probably didn't help that the driver's side front plug had a .080+ gap on it. The electrode had deteriorated severely. None of the other plugs were this bad and still had generally intact electrodes.
7WV0jQf.jpg

Another point to be made is that when I got plugs for this car a few years ago, I installed Platinum plugs versus Double Platinum ones. Hopefully the new ones will hold up better with the waste spark setup.

Also, made a 0-60 run at WOT. So much nicer to not have the pinging issue. Maybe I can try using regular gasoline again, too.

Edited by Kodachrome Wolf
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Another point to be made is that when I got plugs for this car a few years ago, I installed Platinum plugs versus Double Platinum ones. Hopefully the new ones will hold up better with the waste spark setup.

As I recall, these came from the factory with single platinums, albeit the platinum was on the center electrode on one bank and the side electrode on the other bank. I think there was some waste spark related reason for it.

I remember taking at least one plug out of my 281 but I can't remember if that was to inspect it or if I actually changed them all - and if so, what plugs I used. Probably platinums because of the waste spark, but I've used copper in everything else so I can't be sure.

13 hours ago, Devin said:

Here's the easiest way to explain what happened.

accident.jpg

I made my turn, and the other car made their turn after me. I had my signal on, but they must have thought that I was going straight at first, cut it wide, and boom. Called 911 and said there were no injuries, but needed an officer out. They asked if the cars were drivable, and when I said yes, they told us to come to the station to file a report. They didn't have any officers who could come out at the time. We get there, and I was told it wasn't Royal Oaks jurisdiction, but Pleasant Ridge's. They called PRPD and they had one officer on duty for the night, and he was out doing a DUI arrest. He would be tied up for the next 45 minutes to an hour. The two women didn't want to go, and they weren't filing a claim since they had a single scuff on their bumper, so they decided to just go home. When we exchanged info, as they left I could smell weed coming from the car, so they were probably both high. They also didn't give me any insurance info, so they probably didn't have any. (Not that it matters in Michigan. No-fault.)

Car goes in Monday. Needs a new door skin (assuming no internal damage), fresh paint, and then blending into the adjacent panels. Also working directly with Mopar on getting another decal kit, since this was a limited run package (1 of 50). As long as the police report comes back good after their investigation, I pay no deductible and will be deemed not at fault.

The more I read about no-fault the less I like it. At least you don't have to pay a deductible.

Them not going to the police station, wouldn't that be leaving the scene of the accident?

Just look at all these lucky 7s I found!

5362fcf184ab1f164765b6f3853aa8d6.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SHOenough said:

The more I read about no-fault the less I like it. At least you don't have to pay a deductible.

Them not going to the police station, wouldn't that be leaving the scene of the accident?

Not really, since I allowed them to leave. Since Royal Oak was the wrong city/police department, and the Pleasant Ridge PD only had one officer on duty who would be 45 minutes to an hour before being able to take the report, I told them they could leave. The police report is really only for myself, since I'm making a claim. They're not.

I only will not pay the deductible if the statement I made to my claim adjuster matches the police report (which it should, since I made it) and I'm deemed not at fault. They'll be calling the woman who hit me for her side, so that's what is worrying me, since obviously she'll try to push blame off of herself. However, being that they were both high (which I told the officer) they'll probably take that into consideration if she tries to claim she is not at fault.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SHOenough said:

Its a goofy system, sandwiched between 2 states with no-fault most people in Wisconsin don't particularly like no-fault insurance.

In that situation most people would want an officer at the scene taking statements and filing the report, that fact that they wouldn't send an officer is bull...its their job.  And how come they don't share jurisdiction, all the departments around Green Bay share jurisdiction. 

As someone from Wisconsin who lived in Michigan for 5 years, you find out that Michigan does almost everything differently than their neighbor to the east and south.  And I didn't really even get a full experience since I lived in the UP,  it has much more feeling like Wisconsin than the "mitten".  Most Yoopers identify more with Northern Wisconsin than down state...even calling their own down state brothers "trolls".

A negative point on the Mitsubishi:

The drive belts use a static tension, and I know I have to tighten up the belt that spins the power steering pump, because every now and then it would squeak when starting the car up. This is probably a foreign thing, and why I always hear foreign cars with squeeling belts. A normal car, such as a Ford or GM, uses a spring loaded tensioner, so as the belt might stretch a bit, it accommodates and provides perfect tension to the drivebelt system.

This is how the power steering system is set up, the A/C and Alternator are similar:

large.gif

This is another consideration against another Mits/Foreign car as this is a horrible set up. While I have bitched and moaned in the past about barely able to get a socket or wrench on a spring tensioner, at least once it is on, it's done. But now I'm going to have to lift up the car, take the tire off, take off the belt cover, and then loosen the center bolt, then apply more tension, then retighten the center bolt.

However, with the coming of salt-free weather, the Blue Bird is now registered and will become my primary daily driver for the year. Left the Endeavor insured for junkyard runs, going places I don't trust a nice car at, or needing the space for multiple people.

On April 28, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Thub said:

Its a goofy system, sandwiched between 2 states with no-fault most people in Wisconsin don't particularly like no-fault insurance.

Michigan and Minnesota, right? Illinois definitely doesn't do no-fault insurance. 

I retrieved the LTD from storage this morning and washed it this afternoon. I decided to just have the shop do the water pump, so once I get the driver's door to open I'll bring it in there. I worked an 11 hour day on Friday and earlier tonight I hurt my back getting a beer out of the refrigerator - I don't have the time, energy, or patience for that job right now. Unfortunately, sitting covered in salt for four months wasn't kind to the chrome.

Worse, the factory shop manual doesn't cover fender removal. I've loosened every bolt and it still won't budge.

I may have a line on a header panel though.