What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

OH MY GOD! THAT POOR CALIBER! whine.gif

And yes, thats running lights only. laugh.gif

Lets see if anybody can figure out whats new in this picture. This doesn't include you, Sean.

BlackTrim.jpg

Lets see if anybody can figure out whats new in this picture. This doesn't include you, Sean.

Paint around the windows and roof edge (or is that stock)? Spoiler?

Paint around the windows and roof edge (or is that stock)? Spoiler?

Pillars. I wrapped them in flat black vinyl. SRT4s and R/Ts came with this factory, and mine being a lower trimmed SXT, did not. It makes it look a LOT better.

This is what it looked like before.

NoBlackTrim.jpg

And here is the look I'm going for.

dreams.jpg

• Like 2

Does this one run OK? ph34r.gif

If it has the 4.0, he'll be fine. They're practically bulletproof.

1340593615[/url]' post='49668']

If it has the 4.0, he'll be fine. They're practically bulletproof.

I know. That 4.0L straight-6 outlasted the whole company that originally designed 'em. laugh.gif

Is that a 2 or 4 door, can't quite tell, but I'm thinking 4, the 2 doors are getting pretty rare.

Tonight Lucy got a bath and a brand new $30 pair of Trico Flex wipers to replace the 6? 8? or so month old Trico ExactFit wipers that were on there. Holy leprachaun's underwear! What a difference they made. I have always been more traditional in car parts like this, and figured they wouldn't be any better, but they put the Rain-X blades I have on Marilyn to shame. Will wait a while and see how they wear, but I may be getting a set for the ol' girl, too. Plus I get an $8 rebate! That expires tomorrow, so if I do get some for Das Bull, then I will have to pay full price, so I will probably take a step up and get the Teflon Shield wipers.

Headed over to a friend's house to help with a 3.8L Mustang clutch job -- but we discovered coolant leaking from around the driver's side head.

Looks like I get to perform an Essex rebuild after all :)

Headed over to a friend's house to help with a 3.8L Mustang clutch job -- but we discovered coolant leaking from around the driver's side head.

Looks like I get to perform an Essex rebuild after all :)

Re:mac..

The Essex is noted for blowing head gaskets. Either blow compression into the coolant, coolant in the cylinder, or coolant out the side.

I have had 7, only 2 had to have the gaskets replaced. However, 2 were Lin Cont and they did not appear to have the same gasket issues. Likely they did something different. However, one Lin had the engine replaced under warrenty for what was likely a tight wrist pin.

The '95 Sable had the gaskets replaced under recall/warrenty.

The '92 was scrapped. Replaced by another '92 which already had the gaskets replaced before 50K.

Aluminum heads on iron block with a old style cooling system that cycled when cold was a formula for failure.

Have a nice project day.

-chart-

Re:mac..

The Essex is noted for blowing head gaskets. Either blow compression into the coolant, coolant in the cylinder, or coolant out the side.

I have had 7, only 2 had to have the gaskets replaced. However, 2 were Lin Cont and they did not appear to have the same gasket issues. Likely they did something different. However, one Lin had the engine replaced under warrenty for what was likely a tight wrist pin.

The '95 Sable had the gaskets replaced under recall/warrenty.

The '92 was scrapped. Replaced by another '92 which already had the gaskets replaced before 50K.

Aluminum heads on iron block with a old style cooling system that cycled when cold was a formula for failure.

Have a nice project day.

-chart-

I'm well aware of the Essex reputation for blowing head gaskets; however, you can safely use the 99+ MLS head gaskets from a Mustang on any year essex and they are much stronger and last much longer. This particular case is extremely interesting because it went 200k miles -- it had been modified in 2000 with MLS gaskets and arp head studs locally by the dealership. (It had been owned by the owner's wife)

I'm well aware of the Essex reputation for blowing head gaskets; however, you can safely use the 99+ MLS head gaskets from a Mustang on any year essex and they are much stronger and last much longer. This particular case is extremely interesting because it went 200k miles -- it had been modified in 2000 with MLS gaskets and arp head studs locally by the dealership. (It had been owned by the owner's wife)

Re mach

Thanks for the info, just makes history look different.

May explain that Ford knew the answer but failed to use it on Taurus/Sables.

May explain why Lin Cont '88-'94 with that engine, and making more power never had a problem.

-chart-

Re mach

Thanks for the info, just makes history look different.

May explain that Ford knew the answer but failed to use it on Taurus/Sables.

May explain why Lin Cont '88-'94 with that engine, and making more power never had a problem.

-chart-

I thought those year Conti's used a different head design.

The 3.8 In the 88-94 Continentals used the 3.8 Police motor from the Taurus.

Lincoln Continental and 1995 Ford Windstar had a high-output version of the 3.8 with better cylinder heads and other modifications

A copy I got somewhere.

-chart-

95 Windstar, eh? Always wondered why I kinda wanted one...

95 Windstar, eh? Always wondered why I kinda wanted one...

Back when I worked for pay, there was a Ford dealer in our area. They had a van which made couple of rounds the town each day. You could drop your car off at 7:30 and be at work before 8:00.

I used them as it was really convenient and the service mgr. was old timer who knew every one by name.

The van was a Windstar. Really nice and it impressed the riders. Smart business by them. They got customers in the door.

I retired in '98. That dealer went out of business couple years ago.

Somebody wanted the land they sat on.

-chart-

Driving into Austin on Thursday in the '12 VW Jetta SportWagen I hit a stone (a limestone brick) with the right front wheel. I was changing lanes to overtake a slower vehicle going up a large hill. I looked over my shoulder to make a safe lane change and when I looked ahead, there was the stone. There was no avoiding it. The tire went flat immediately following a loud bang. I assumed the rim was bent, but after safely pulling off the highway and inspecting the damage, it appeared that only the sidewall of the tire was cut. A nice gentleman stopped to help. I've never used the OEM jack before, and neither had he... he accidentally raised the car with the jack upside down. We were in a bit of a hurry as this road is notoriously deadly, traffic was heavy, and it's also a construction zone (supposedly making the road safer). As I'm positioning the spare, the jack slipped out. Fortunately, the car was supported by the brake rotor resting on the inside of the rim, otherwise the car would be on the ground. The road had been recently paved and the asphalt was loose in the hot sun. I'm not sure the jack would have supported the car even in the correct position since the road was so soft. We got a bottle jack from his truck and raised the car again. The fallen jack left a couple nicks and a small dent in the rocker panel. Once the spare was on, we continued into Austin. First stop was a tire shop (Discount Tire) where the tires are covered under a road hazard warranty. Of course, they didn't have the tire in stock, so we had to leave the wheel overnight, making a second trip to Austin the next day. The tire tech claimed to have not found any bend in the rim, surprisingly, but I noticed this wheel has more tape weights than the others.... so this wheel will become a matching full size spare in the future, also because it will have the newest tire when the others are due for replacement soon. I'll buy another rim to replace it.

I'm glad VW continues to put full size spares in their cars. Now if only they included real jacks.

Driving into Austin on Thursday in the '12 VW Jetta SportWagen I hit a stone (a limestone brick) with the right front wheel. I was changing lanes to overtake a slower vehicle going up a large hill. I looked over my shoulder to make a safe lane change and when I looked ahead, there was the stone. There was no avoiding it. The tire went flat immediately following a loud bang. I assumed the rim was bent, but after safely pulling off the highway and inspecting the damage, it appeared that only the sidewall of the tire was cut. A nice gentleman stopped to help. I've never used the OEM jack before, and neither had he... he accidentally raised the car with the jack upside down. We were in a bit of a hurry as this road is notoriously deadly, traffic was heavy, and it's also a construction zone (supposedly making the road safer). As I'm positioning the spare, the jack slipped out. Fortunately, the car was supported by the brake rotor resting on the inside of the rim, otherwise the car would be on the ground. The road had been recently paved and the asphalt was loose in the hot sun. I'm not sure the jack would have supported the car even in the correct position since the road was so soft. We got a bottle jack from his truck and raised the car again. The fallen jack left a couple nicks and a small dent in the rocker panel. Once the spare was on, we continued into Austin. First stop was a tire shop (Discount Tire) where the tires are covered under a road hazard warranty. Of course, they didn't have the tire in stock, so we had to leave the wheel overnight, making a second trip to Austin the next day. The tire tech claimed to have not found any bend in the rim, surprisingly, but I noticed this wheel has more tape weights than the others.... so this wheel will become a matching full size spare in the future, also because it will have the newest tire when the others are due for replacement soon. I'll buy another rim to replace it.

I'm glad VW continues to put full size spares in their cars. Now if only they included real jacks.

For what it worth, OEM tires are the cream of the crop as far as being round and balanced.

The Goodyear aftermarket in the pic is more typical and I do not know what is on the other side of this one, it's mate is about the same.

The Michelin OEM is not labeled but likely 5G and it's mate has 10G which is about third of Oz. That is on the car in my pic.

So I would not expect aftermarket tires to fall much less that 1 to 3 oz of total weights. There are random exceptions of course.

Walk around a new car lot and look at the weights. Then look at parking lot tires on older cars.

-chart-