Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Rohand901, my feelings are hurt. There are other septuagenarians on this forum.

Not gonna lie, I had to google that.

Sorry  :notworthy:

Well, I have insurance for it and I'll own it as of 6pm tonight. So its a done deal.

I bought a Tangerine Scream Focus ST. <Never ever thought I would

Personal goal is to try and avoid trouble with it for a year.

I'll keep everyone posted on how that goes  :ohnoes:

• Like 3

Not gonna lie, I had to google that.

Sorry  :notworthy:

Well, I have insurance for it and I'll own it as of 6pm tonight. So its a done deal.

:drive:  :lurk:

I'll tell you how it's supposed to go. You take the scenic route home tonight, and drive the absolute piss out of that car. 

• Like 1

Hey, us old guys really know how to push buttons. Not only push, but enjoy doing so. As far as the ST is concerned, do take the scenic route, but avoid doing anything really foolish. No sense in funding the state treasury if you can avoid it.

Now here cometh the lesson. Chart will become an octogenarian before me. A little etymology sometimes goes a long way. Quint means five, hex means six, sept means seven; oct means eight, nona means nine and deci means ten. Easy to remember if you think the months of the year: September is the seventh month, October the eighth, November the ninth and December is the tenth. Other words like octopus, octogon, decimal all follow these roots.

Wait, September is the ninth month, October is the tenth, etc.? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Well when Julius Caesar devised the Julian calendar, he added two new months, January and February, then renamed Quintilis and Sextilis, July and August (after himself and Augustus) which also bumped the remaining months up two. Leave it to the politicians to really make things confusing.

• Like 3

Congrats! Do I sense a new sig pic incoming with both cars?

In 2011, coming back from attending the Ford Nationals in Carlisle Pennsylvania, the SVT-WGN was in cruise at 140 km/hour (a little over 85 mph) heading north on Interstate 29 North Dakota. Because both my son and his friend smoked, he was traveling with Eric in the other Focus behind me (and Eric's wife was with me - neither of us smoke). I signalled to move into the left lane and accelerated to get by a semi when Eric shouted into the FRS "Radar, radar, radar".

I looked ahead. Too late. I could see the county mountie about a quarter mile ahead, so we zoomed right past him and moved back into the right lane. If I could see him, he could see me. Yet no red lights. Later in the day, Eric asked how did I avoid the ticket considering the speed I was going. My answer, born of many observations, "Wagon. Grey. And white haired old geezer driving."

Of course the real answer is the semi was the larger target, reflecting the stronger signal, and I literally went under the radar. But I still like to think drab colours and wagon play a big part.

The one time I got a ticket, while waiting in line at the courthouse I overheard someone complaining that he got a ticket while everyone else on the road was passing him like he was standing still, but he got ticketed because he was in a fullsize van and that's what the radar caught.

This ticket was earned in my '92 Taurus wagon, probably the least conspicuous car I've owned. 80 in a 70, although the deputy told me I was doing 85.

Yet I did 85 past a trooper in the median driving my Regal, which appearance-wise was on the line between "urban miscreant-mobile" and "cheap rural hot-rod", and he didn't even seem to notice.

I don't buy the fact the vehicles that look more "performance" orientated or are brighter are more likely to draw tickets.  The only exceptions would be for real performance cars such as a Ferrari, or cars that are extremely gaudy.  People who drive the blandest cars on the road can still rack up tons of tickets.  If you drive like an animal your going to stand out way more than any style or colored car on the road. I have friends who have gotten tickets driving a black VW Passat, a brown Ford Ranger, a silver Chevy Prizm, and a maroon Chevy Malibu. I think everyone will agree that non of those cars really stand out, but guess what did...how they were driving, either excessive speed or did something stupid that made them stick out.  In fact the friend who had the Ford Ranger got more tickets in that 150hp truck than with his 2002 BMW M3, which he drove as it was intended to be driven, a car than can go 0-60 in about 5 seconds and cruise at triple digits for extended periods of time. 2 tickets in the Ranger for 1 year of ownership and 1 written warning in the M3 for 3 years of ownership.  Did his driving style change or was he just lucky, who knows but the simple fact that this occurred takes away from the point you guys are trying to make.

Focus ST is the only Focus I would ever purchase again. Standard trim Focus? I'd rather walk thank you. Not dealing with that nightmare again.

Performance cars are nice to have, I have gotten zero tickets in both Thunderbirds. I do have fun with the Supercoupe. Only time I ever got a ticket was in my Taurus Wagon lol. I probably drive my Blue Bird the same way my grandma did, nice and comfortably lol. However a few times I've let that Modular 4.6L roar to life ;)

There are times you know you can use the power, when on a completely dead highway where you can see far ahead where there aren't any hiding places, that's where I've let it go wide open throttle. Or I'd drag race people from 0 to whatever the speed limit is. Nice thing about a quick/powerful car is the ability to dominate traffic. Can quickly make lights about to turn red, or speed up to pass a slow person, etc etc.

My friend traded two of his older cars in for this '08 Sable Premier FWD today. He paid just $3000 out of pocket, and it has 194,000 miles with a long list of service history on the Carfax, and only 2 owners if I remember correctly. I drove it and it has new tires, runs drives shifts stops like a car with 50,000 miles on it, got the oil/filter changed at the Ford dealership, filled the tank and he was back to his house in Portland, got 29MPG on the way back.

post-3362-0-00350500-1457240143_thumb.jp

post-3362-0-15847900-1457240144_thumb.jp

How much did he get for his other two cars? I only ask because that car has a ton of miles and likely attracted zero interest based on that alone. If it was priced over $4250-4500 then it was too much. I think I'm being generous at that value. I sure hope it's had a water pump put on it. That job is over $1000 alone. Looks like cosmetically it's in decent shape. I'd still be afraid of it....unless I was the one who put all those miles on. That being said, I love my 09 and she's needed TLC even at 1/4 of that mileage. Gives me hope for mine though....I'm going to try for a million miles with my 09....as I'm looking forward to paying it off and not having a car note. Tell your friend congrats....the 08-09 sables are hard to come by and are usually an excellent value for money. Make sure he buys new center caps on ebay. The black one bugs me. lol

Jeff

post-3-0-87398700-1457285982_thumb.jpeg

Interior cleaning, added some billet aluminum trim, and preparing the Mustang for it's escape from the garage this week. :)

• Like 1

My F-150 turns 24 today, and it marked that by something in the VSS/RABS/PSOM CF going bad. This morning it was shifting hard into second sometimes, and I noticed that the speedometer was reading zero when it did, and sometimes bouncing around. The problem disappeared a few blocks away from home.

Gave me an excuse to pull the codes which I'd been meaning to do anyway. No thanks to some previous owner who apparently lost the EEC test connector cover, and rather than replace it decided slathering the connector with grease would suffice. Anyway, three codes for the EGR system (no surprise) and a code 452 for a VSS error in the last 80 warm-up cycles.

Since the ABS light is almost always on and the system hasn't worked since I've had the truck, I'm going to track down the ABS module and unplug it. If that doesn't help, then that might make my decision on which of my three to sell this summer. This is one of the reasons I avoid 1990 and newer vehicles, and this system is one of those Better Ideas

post-3-0-92567900-1457304835_thumb.jpeg

Brought out the Mustang for some warm weather activities. B)

post-3-0-36873100-1457305141_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-19731500-1457305156_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-19835400-1457305171_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-51262400-1457305181_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-48374600-1457305208_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-29386300-1457305216_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-91016200-1457305355_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Damn, that's a sexy red Buick :D

• Like 3

Drivers window motor died on the Subaru, of course it was when I was in line at an ATM. I was pretty upset, I chipped tires on both front and back axles on the wet slick concrete as I pulled away to park and walk into the bank.  I'm willing to bet the guy behind me got a good laugh.

How much did he get for his other two cars? I only ask because that car has a ton of miles and likely attracted zero interest based on that alone. If it was priced over $4250-4500 then it was too much. I think I'm being generous at that value. I sure hope it's had a water pump put on it. That job is over $1000 alone. Looks like cosmetically it's in decent shape. I'd still be afraid of it....unless I was the one who put all those miles on. That being said, I love my 09 and she's needed TLC even at 1/4 of that mileage. Gives me hope for mine though....I'm going to try for a million miles with my 09....as I'm looking forward to paying it off and not having a car note. Tell your friend congrats....the 08-09 sables are hard to come by and are usually an excellent value for money. Make sure he buys new center caps on ebay. The black one bugs me. lol

Jeff

Price was originally $5999, they told him it had 101K and AWD over the phone and when he got up here to purchase it, it was not AWD and had 193K, they admitted that they were confused with an 08 Taurus AWD on their lot, so they discounted $1000 for their mistake to get him to buy the car, he then offered $4500 and they gave him $1500 combined for his two other cars which were both going to need big repairs eventually and hadn't sold after several months on craigslist. He seems to think he got a a good deal and will be keeping it for a long time because it matches his 08 Mariner Hybrid which has been pretty reliable for him.

So far he loves it and is currently in the process of flushing fluids, going to do a spark plug change and tint the windows too, he's already purchased the couple things the car needs in terms of new keys and fobs, an owners manual book, and the one center cap. I drove it about 40 miles and there's no noticeable suspension oddities either, but I don't know much about what to look or listen for.

Edited by Josh_GL_Limited

Trust me....you'd hear the knocking noises.  You can't miss them at all.  Probably means the suspension has been done pretty recently which is good.  The only down side is it seems these cars need new suspension every 40-50K miles because nobody has addressed the fact that the suspension isn't beefy enough to handle the weight of this car.  It looked really nice for the mileage.  I'm assuming it's an exact clone of my Premier as it looked to have the black leather interior with the brilliant silver exterior.  It's a sharp combination and I don't really care for silver too much.  I love my Sable and I know he will love that one provided it stays the course.  If you hear any tire noise I'd suspect the hub assemblies because mine were shot on the rear and the fronts are starting to hum.  They are also a problem with these cars.   I have two Mevotech BXT front hub assemblies going on it tomorrow before I head out to South Carolina next week.  The rear ones I did about 8 months ago(then one of the replacements under warranty about a month  or so ago).  He won't like the gas mileage with it.....these cars are thirsty and even lightly throttling it around town about 17.5-18 is about all you can expect.  In comparison my Avalon regularly got 24-25 city, but it wasn't the behemoth that this car is.  It also didn't have near the ride quality either or the power.  Did you unleash all the ponies on that 3.5?  If so, it's pretty impressive isn't it?

Edited by Jeff

Trust me....you'd hear the knocking noises.  You can't miss them at all.  Probably means the suspension has been done pretty recently which is good.  The only down side is it seems these cars need new suspension every 40-50K miles because nobody has addressed the fact that the suspension isn't beefy enough to handle the weight of this car.  It looked really nice for the mileage.  I'm assuming it's an exact clone of my Premier as it looked to have the black leather interior with the brilliant silver exterior.  It's a sharp combination and I don't really care for silver too much.  I love my Sable and I know he will love that one provided it stays the course.  If you hear any tire noise I'd suspect the hub assemblies because mine were shot on the rear and the fronts are starting to hum.  They are also a problem with these cars.   I have two Mevotech BXT front hub assemblies going on it tomorrow before I head out to South Carolina next week.  The rear ones I did about 8 months ago(then one of the replacements under warranty about a month  or so ago).  He won't like the gas mileage with it.....these cars are thirsty and even lightly throttling it around town about 17.5-18 is about all you can expect.  In comparison my Avalon regularly got 24-25 city, but it wasn't the behemoth that this car is.  It also didn't have near the ride quality either or the power.  Did you unleash all the ponies on that 3.5?  If so, it's pretty impressive isn't it?

It's got the tan/grey 2 tone perforated interior, no nav/adjustable pedals but it does have a sunroof. No knocking noises that I could hear so I think we're good on that end and I wasn't paying attention to any tire noise so I could assume it wasn't there. The performance was extremely impressive and after driving that Five Hundred LTD FWD I was convinced that the Gen 5 has a marvelously packaged interior, after driving the Sable 3.5L it put me over the edge of wanting one, they're so well packaged, the only complaint that was also evident in the Motorweek review of the car, is the brakes and stopping distance, I'm sure that could be countered with better pads & rotors. Overal, I want one! LOL

Well, this is technically a vehicle. It's got four wheels, an engine, seat, and steering wheel. :)

Took a moment to use the unique service position on the Snapper mower today.
RpYkfK.jpg

I've been doing minor repairs on this mower since I got it home Friday. It was one of the last remaining things at my late grandparents' house, so I grabbed it since the house is due to be sold. I used it for a few years to keep the property cut, but I let it become a victim of deferred maintenance and by the time I hauled it off it showed.

So far I've:
-Re-inflated all the tires
-Greased all grease points
-Changed the oil
-Cleaned the air filter
-Removed the dead battery (I'll just manual start it like I've done for years)
-Taken the old blade off for replacement (way too far gone to even try sharpening)
-Painted areas on the cutting deck where paint was coming off and surface rust was starting

I've just got to get a new blade and throw in a new spark plug and it should be ready for cutting season. The weather is already getting warm again and things are starting to come back to life.

Disconnecting the ABS module in the F-150 seems to have worked.

I took advantage of the unseasonably pleasant weather to check its A/C, and it works, albeit musty beyond belief.

Changed oil and filt on the Lin Cont.

4.5 months 1475 miles. All winter driving, mostly 1.2 mi to 1.5 mi trips.

Maximum, 30 mile trip.

That is 4K miles per year at that rate: :notworthy:

But I expect a 1400 mile trip this summer.

-chart-

Well, this is technically a vehicle. It's got four wheels, an engine, seat, and steering wheel. :)

Took a moment to use the unique service position on the Snapper mower today.

RpYkfK.jpg

I've been doing minor repairs on this mower since I got it home Friday. It was one of the last remaining things at my late grandparents' house, so I grabbed it since the house is due to be sold. I used it for a few years to keep the property cut, but I let it become a victim of deferred maintenance and by the time I hauled it off it showed.

So far I've:

-Re-inflated all the tires

-Greased all grease points

-Changed the oil

-Cleaned the air filter

-Removed the dead battery (I'll just manual start it like I've done for years)

-Taken the old blade off for replacement (way too far gone to even try sharpening)

-Painted areas on the cutting deck where paint was coming off and surface rust was starting

I've just got to get a new blade and throw in a new spark plug and it should be ready for cutting season. The weather is already getting warm again and things are starting to come back to life.

Want to fix my mower while you're at it? It keeps eating belts.

Added a modern necessity to the cabin.

post-3-0-10035800-1457630070_thumb.jpeg

Replaced the broken fiberboard trunk floor over the spare tire well- the original was broken into five pieces held loosely together by duct tape. :P

post-3-0-56118700-1457630079_thumb.jpeg

Performed my monthly lighting check. B)

post-3-0-58764000-1457630087_thumb.jpeg

The OEM luggage rack and 3rd brake lamp, which came wrapped up in the trunk but were never installed by a prior owner, are getting riveted in place next Tuesday by my preferred bodyshop. Window tint is also on my to-do list, so it will eventually look much like this...

post-3-0-54795300-1457630357_thumb.jpg

Drove the ST to work for the first time!

After a week of detailing it looks presentable.

Cleanest car in the parkinglot award goes to....Me! Again, for the thousandth day in a row

post-4065-0-38308500-1457702344_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Drove the ST to work for the first time!

After a week of detailing it looks presentable.

Cleanest car in the parkinglot award goes to....Me! Again, for the thousandth day in a row

Ahh, my eyes! It burns... :o Retina searing. :P

• Like 1