Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Not pushbutton, manually shifted. I couldn't get the shifter to push downward to get across neutral, so I was either not pushing the right direction or not hard enough for it.

The paragraph in the manual that describes how to do it was among a series of pages that appear to have been partially eaten.

• Like 1

Not pushbutton, manually shifted. I couldn't get the shifter to push downward to get across neutral, so I was either not pushing the right direction or not hard enough for it.

The paragraph in the manual that describes how to do it was among a series of pages that appear to have been partially eaten.

Well then your truck must have aftermarket hubs, because they appear to be lacking a switch to engage the hubs manually. This is why I thought it had E4X4, no switch on that front hub.  Typically with the manual 4x4 you actually need to be rolling at 2-3mph to get it to go into 4x4 Low, its a really nasty transition on a manual transfer case. One of the reasons I dislike manual transfer cases is because its so difficult to make that shift from high to low or low back to high...feels like your going to break something.  I'd much rather just push a button and let a motor make the shift.  Not that I used low a lot, maybe only 4 or 5 times during the 3 year period of owning the Explorer.  Its nice to have working though, being able to limit your speed to 30mph and put all that power down without wheel spin is nice, helped me though a few rough situations.

I've actually never seen that style of hub on a OBS F150, so I have no clue what you have going there. If those are manual hubs (which they don't appear to be) remember you have to actually get out of the truck and lock each hub to the axle shaft by turning the switch for 4x4 to do anything.  I remember several times driving around in my buddies 96 F150 we would hop out at a stop light to lock in the front hubs when extra traction was needed in snow or whatever...fun times.  Typically you can leave them locked during winter since you are going from 2wd to 4wd so often but some choose to unlock them each time, especially if you drive on the highway a lot.  Maybe you do have auto locking hubs with manual 4x4, which I have never seen on those trucks, maybe it was a rarer option.  If that's so I'd recommend swapping them to manual hubs.  You loose convenience but gain reliability.

They're OE Ford automatic hubs, the decal is missing from the passenger side. The previous owner said he had them dismantled, cleaned, and regreased recently, and they work.

I expected the truck to have manual hubs with the manual transfer case, but I can't see anyone adding the automatic ones in after the fact. I've found a couple references to that setup online, so I'd have to conclude it's original. I was hoping for manual hubs, but if these were just gone through they'll be fine for now.

I tried shifting the transfer case while stopped, while rolling, etc. It's -9

No. Keep both. Water pump is easy job. Hell I have a great spare good one in my garage. Want it?

I wouldn't sell the LTD without getting it running first.

The issue is that I have a summer car that runs horribly in hot weather, a winter car that's flawless in summer but horrible in the winter (and has too nice a body), and now a truck that's probably good year-round (can't confirm if the A/C works like the seller said, but why lie about that on a truck that old?), and I'm not sure I can justify keeping three vehicles. I also can't bring myself to sell either.

I know your pain :(

I have a whole fleet, and barely any of them are great in winter. I think my accident was a blessing in disguise.

It's gonna be hard to sell my Supercoupe, it's a great car, and fun to drive, but... It's a better summer car. And I already have two if you include a motorcycle.

I can't sell my 95 T-Bird as it has too much sentimental value, I'll never truly get what I want for it.

Then I got the dead 95 Taurus that has plans

I got the wife's 02 Sable which is a rust bucket

I got the motorcycle which this year, I will give it one more time, if I use it a lot this year, I'll keep it.

My ideal fleet:

95 Taurus fully restored

95 T-Bird - Summer Car

00 Motorcycle - Summer bike (Cheap to insure, cheap to fill up, great on gas, so it's barely costing me anything to operate, but I need to use it)

and - Undecided - New vehicle.

The wife and I are going back and forth. I might just fix the 95 Taurus up and drive it myself, but I also have the longer commute to work - so the less efficient the vehicle - the more we spend on gas for me alone. The Bravada despite sucking on gas (I was averaging about 14 Mpg, which was the same as the 95 Taurus before she died), was super amazing in snow/ice, the best truck heater, and a very comfortable ride. The A/C was ice cold and heat was fire hot. It was a great vehicle overall. But I want efficiency. The 95 Taurus might be better with a tuned Vulcan from a newer power plant. That is now high priority this spring.

The 02 Sable will be going to my brother in law. Her family has struggled since her dad went on disability, and he's a smart guy, we want him to have an advantage to succeed, a car will allow him freedom to work, goto college, and be able to socialize. A current gen Impala is what my wife wants. The rental she had she fell in love with, and loved everything about that car. But the fuel efficiency when she drives not even 5 miles to work, however she does have a far commute to visit her parents. Now what I want is another Truck/wagon, and out of shopping around, I really like the Traverse. The LT or better has respectable features such as dual EATC climate control and rear climate control, it's spacious, they do come in dual sunroof, so it has a respectable amount of nice features.

I know Brian wants to sell me a beautiful 05 Sable, however... I cannot do unheated leather seats, everytime I drive the Sable... I suffer, the heated seats make a huge difference with leather in the winters we have, and with them being aged, I kind of want new again, and with a warranty.

I also need to get Brian's 05 Taurus fully stripped and junked.... So again, if anyone with a Gen 4 / 4.5 wants anything... Sears are available - Free, trunk decklid is in good shape, eventually it will go to junk though

• Like 1

At least you have two people to drive your fleet.

When the Olds isn't nearby the thought of selling it crosses my mind every so often. But every time I drive the car, or even look at it, I just can't. This spring it'll finally be in the garage, at the ready to drive whenever I feel like, so I'll feel even less like selling it. But, it's also worth the most and I could use the money.

The LTD would run fine year-round if I ditched the CFI and converted to a carb (OK, fine, so would converting to port fuel injection :icon_rolleyes: ), but I made the mistake of buying too nice of a car for a year-round driver. Granted, between the deer and the 1 1/2 winters I've already subjected it to, maybe it's not worth worrying about anymore.

If I could get something with the style and collectibility of the Olds with the drivability and comfort of the LTD, I'd replace them both, but when I think of what cars really would tempt me away from the C/S, they're even less practical ('69-'70 Marauder is #1 on that list).

Oh well. Now I have the luxury of not needing to think about it until April or whenever winter is over.

• Like 1

At least you have two people to drive your fleet.

When the Olds isn't nearby the thought of selling it crosses my mind every so often. But every time I drive the car, or even look at it, I just can't. This spring it'll finally be in the garage, at the ready to drive whenever I feel like, so I'll feel even less like selling it. But, it's also worth the most and I could use the money.

The LTD would run fine year-round if I ditched the CFI and converted to a carb (OK, fine, so would converting to port fuel injection :icon_rolleyes: ), but I made the mistake of buying too nice of a car for a year-round driver. Granted, between the deer and the 1 1/2 winters I've already subjected it to, maybe it's not worth worrying about anymore.

If I could get something with the style and collectibility of the Olds with the drivability and comfort of the LTD, I'd replace them both, but when I think of what cars really would tempt me away from the C/S, they're even less practical ('69-'70 Marauder is #1 on that list).

Oh well. Now I have the luxury of not needing to think about it until April or whenever winter is over.

I have had 1 302 (83 Gmarq) and 3 Essex all with TB and never had any issues with cold/warm fuel issues. I do not like them just because, like carbs, you have to heat the inlet air to prevent ice. If the inlet air heat is not working just right, cold is bad. And, they had lots of issues with the heated air tube. And one other on TB Essex, they had excessive high idle speed when first started. If you put them into gear too quick, they went in too hard due to fast idling. All 4 of these given to my kids over time.

-chart-

Essexes run hot they say

20160119_075650.jpg

That was about 15 minutes of idling, then 30 Minutes of driving.

I am almost positive the Super Coupe lacks a thermostat.... Only making the S/C an even better winter vehcile.

• Like 1

Essexes run hot they say

20160119_075650.jpg

That was about 15 minutes of idling, then 30 Minutes of driving.

I am almost positive the Super Coupe lacks a thermostat.... Only making the S/C an even better winter vehcile.

Winter front...oh wait the S/C already lacks any significant grill opening.

• Like 1

Fun fact, the openings that are right in the bumper where the crash bar is actually have ducts going to the radiator and intercooler on the sc

To answer the guesses from another thread, I just picked up a 1987 Ford Mustang LX convertible built on the Fox-platform. It has a 2.3L "Lima" I-4 engine, A4LD overdrive automatic, Oxford White exterior with a white soft top and red tonneau boot, and Scarlet Red cloth interior. Makes 88 hp/130 lb-ft and comes with a 3.73:1-geared 7.5" solid rear axle. 

post-3-0-25509500-1453264530_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-88705800-1453264576_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-89486500-1453264554_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-97373100-1453264563_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks to be a very clean car!  I was just giving you a hard time about the color.  These cars do look really nice in red, though.  Looks to be very well taken care of from the pictures.  I'm guessing this will be a summer cruiser then given that it's RWD? Congrats!  Without locking that up down here...you wouldn't have it very long.  Those are still extremely popular here to steal.  A guy in high school had one...(freshly painted 92 red convertible 5.0) and they stole it off of the lot and he never got it back.  They never found it either.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

So...

The Supercoupe had the passenger power window go out during the summer, I replaced it in the fall...

Driver window felt strong and awesome, so I left it alone.

I used it yesterday to vent the car a bit with fresh air, closed it no issue. Today I went to try and open it, same issue as passenger window where I hear the motor whirring up, but nothing. Guess I am gonna have to replace the driver window regulator :(

Old cars can piss me off sometimes :P

Does it use a old school style regulator with a motor or a cable regulator

Old school

94tbwindowregulatorright.jpg

Last one was just a bad motor, but I swapped everything to be safe from a 97 last time. Thankfully 89-97 all the same

But it's the drilling the rivets, carefully working with the glass, then bolting the new one in that stinks.

Just some bushings in the motor - replace with ball bearings...done deal :-) at least on old crown Vic's

Those regulators hardly ever have an issue unless pivot rivet wears out then the cog part rattlss

The Mustang is registered, plated, and insured. I might go pick up a set of 16" Pony alloy wheels from a Craigslist seller this weekend. 

• Like 1

To answer the guesses from another thread, I just picked up a 1987 Ford Mustang LX convertible built on the Fox-platform. It has a 2.3L "Lima" I-4 engine, A4LD overdrive automatic, Oxford White exterior with a white soft top and red tonneau boot, and Scarlet Red cloth interior. Makes 88 hp/130 lb-ft and comes with a 3.73:1-geared 7.5" solid rear axle.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice mustang man. I liked driving my ranger with the Lima, it was surprisingly peppy little motor. It sounds pretty mean for a 4 banger too.

Edited by Vulcanator
  • Like 1

Those regulators hardly ever have an issue unless pivot rivet wears out then the cog part rattlss

Sadly servicing them in door is a pain, so I'd have to remove it either way to make it easy, so might as well just pick one up from a junkyard for a good $10 or so.

The town and country was being pretty touchy off the line like a dead spot when you first touch the gas then she takes off. I turned off the hill start assist now she takes off smooth B)

• Like 1

Got some topless pictures taken today while the weather was relatively clear.... :P

post-3-0-77360700-1453685429_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-12365300-1453685438_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-17093000-1453685445_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-09464700-1453685453_thumb.jpeg

Since Tuesday, Sally has received new OEM type badges, Rain-X wiper blades, and a very thorough Seafoam treatment into the crankcase, fuel tank, and the throttle body/intake.

A couple new pieces of interior plastic trim are already installed to replace broken items and a few more goodies are currently on the way to me. LateModelRestorations.com has already been an outstanding resource so far for getting this car brought back up to my standards. B)

• Like 2

Added some JDM appearance to the Forester, 55 watt 2500K fogs.

It was perfect timing too because as I was installing them it really started to snow hard.  The yellow light is so much better in the snow, much easier on the eyes.  Looks very distinct and when aimed properly has no chance at irritating other drivers.

As I was taking the first picture a WRX or STI (based on the exhaust note) was going by on the road a few hundred feet behind me, I heard the guy yell out "Nice Forester". I guess with yellow fogs and drifting and you are immediately in the club.

I really should have been running a camera as I was driving, the snow was perfect for drifting and I was tearing the snow up. Some really nice full 2 lane left and right turn drifts at speed.  Its a shame this car is an automatic, it would be even more fun with a manual.

IMG_20160125_204732253_zpsqeqpxyvl.jpg

IMG_20160125_205430012_zpsjpxiev28.jpg

Added some JDM appearance to the Forester, 55 watt 2500K fogs.

It was perfect timing too because as I was installing them it really started to snow hard.  The yellow light is so much better in the snow, much easier on the eyes.  Looks very distinct and when aimed properly has no chance at irritating other drivers.

As I was taking the first picture a WRX or STI (based on the exhaust note) was going by on the road a few hundred feet behind me, I heard the guy yell out "Nice Forester". I guess with yellow fogs and drifting and you are immediately in the club.

I really should have been running a camera as I was driving, the snow was perfect for drifting and I was tearing the snow up. Some really nice full 2 lane left and right turn drifts at speed.

I've got some JDM on my Fusion too...

20160117_194126_zpsmv3qsyt1.jpg

20160117_194634_zpswzl5rcdx.jpg