What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

Dealership had to replace the engine in the Durango -- lifter broke, it ate the camshaft, the metal in oil destroyed the oil pump...

They tried to rebuild it (twice) now, but both times resulted in oil in the coolant *really* quickly, so the block is probably cracked, thus the new motor.

• 2 weeks later...

A jumbo rat, also known as a deer, did this to the LTD this morning:

post-45-0-90119900-1448339450_thumb.jpg

Forced the fender so far back that the driver's door can't be opened. Will have to tear down most of the front end to even reasonably use the car again. Probably can't open the hood either, and if I do I bet it won't close.

Go figure I just got done nearly emptying my bank account to buy a house, and U-Pull must've just crushed because their inventory listings are nearly nonexistent even for newer cars.

I see those every blue moon in junkyards, but when I do see them, they aren't anywhere near as gorgeous :(

I know a good white fender on a 86 in Knoxville.

A body shop should be able to tweak that so you can still open the door if Chris can't help you out.

Hitting a deer during hunting. Haha you did better than a lot of people who were actually hunting. Did you kill it or did it just bounce off and keep running.

I believe it was dead on impact, I didn't see it moving. I only hit the hindquarters, but since the rest of the deer went parallel to the car I'm wondering if the missing piece of door moulding, with the pointed end on it, might have gone into the deer. It wasn't laying in the road, I might go back later this week and see if it's on the side where the deer landed. That might be the most difficult part to find since it can't be painted and still look right.

I'm sure I can loosen the fender bolts and get it out of the door. The problem is I'll need to pull the header panel first, and if the mounting points are destroyed enough it might not go back on again.

And I can't crawl out the window... doesn't work quite as well on four-doors.

I believe it was dead on impact, I didn't see it moving. I only hit the hindquarters, but since the rest of the deer went parallel to the car I'm wondering if the missing piece of door moulding, with the pointed end on it, might have gone into the deer. It wasn't laying in the road, I might go back later this week and see if it's on the side where the deer landed. That might be the most difficult part to find since it can't be painted and still look right.

I'm sure I can loosen the fender bolts and get it out of the door. The problem is I'll need to pull the header panel first, and if the mounting points are destroyed enough it might not go back on again.

And I can't crawl out the window... doesn't work quite as well on four-doors.

Doe? Buck? 

Didn't want the meat?

Medium-sized doe, and I have too many other things to deal with right now to worry about the meat. My dad, brother, and uncle saw nothing up north for three weekends, but he didn't want it either.

Medium-sized doe, and I have too many other things to deal with right now to worry about the meat. My dad, brother, and uncle saw nothing up north for three weekends, but he didn't want it either.

Around here usually someone will drive by who wants it, unless its really smashed up and blown apart.

Invested in a vehicle to replace the SHO for winter.  Its not that pretty but it's a real winner, and has allowed me to join the elite club of wagon owners.

Its a 1999 Subaru Forester L. Standard 2.5L 4 cyl. boxer, auto trans, 130,000 miles, headgaskets were just redone this June. Its runs and drives great for a cheap beater, pleanty of power and its actually pretty quick. Fluids all looked good and clean, no burning smells or stinky discolored trans fluid after I took it for a nice long test drive. It will need new tires but other wise everything else works fine.  No leaks, vibrations, or funky noises, except for a small exhuast leak.  Underside is actually pretty clean since its undercoated.  Besides for the old tired suspension and underinflated tires I was quite surprised at how well it handled.  And of course the AWD is a big bonus, and the only reason I considered this vehicle.  Interior is all there and in decent conditon, I had forgotten that these are only 4 passenger vehicles but with those rear seats down there is alot of cargo room.

2_zpstrsa6mre.jpg

3_zps1cyiizrs.jpg

4_zpsy9brkq0s.jpg

1_zpsqa2mnk94.jpg

Looks like a pretty decent car. Loved my Outback. Since you have a 99 I think that was first year of the phase 2 2.5L which is more reliable. When it comes time for a trans service you will love the externally mounted transmission filter too.

Alternator placement is fantastic as well. 15 minute change on my Outback.

Looks like a pretty decent car. Loved my Outback. Since you have a 99 I think that was first year of the phase 2 2.5L which is more reliable. When it comes time for a trans service you will love the externally mounted transmission filter too.

Alternator placement is fantastic as well. 15 minute change on my Outback.

Yah I saw on one of the repair sheets for the headgasket job that the shop noted it was a late 99, even a 2000 MY engine. I did notice that fliter on the transmisson, the oil pan is hidden though, big splash shield covers the entire bottom of the block.

I did notice that this car was much much faster than the Outback.  I had driven a 2002 Outback a while back and it was a major dog. This thing is very quick on the bottom end.

The 2.5L has great low end power for a 4 cylinder. My Outback was slow for sure but it could take my Duratec off the line no problem. But once the Duratec was into its power band there was no comparison. The Forester is quite a bit smaller than the Outback though too. I got like 24-25mpg mixed driving in the winter out of my car. Trans was finally starting to slip when cold at 240k miles. Still sold it for $1500

The 2.5L has great low end power for a 4 cylinder. My Outback was slow for sure but it could take my Duratec off the line no problem. But once the Duratec was into its power band there was no comparison. The Forester is quite a bit smaller than the Outback though too. I got like 24-25mpg mixed driving in the winter out of my car. Trans was finally starting to slip when cold at 240k miles. Still sold it for $1500

I think this thing must be several hundred lbs lighter than the Outback, there is nothing to it.  I will say I paid less than that for this car, which I think is a pretty good deal considering how well it drives.

That sounds like an excellent deal for any running and driving Subaru. Especially one with recent headgaskets. Hope its a great car for you, you will love it in the snow.

That sounds like an excellent deal for any running and driving Subaru. Especially one with recent headgaskets. Hope its a great car for you, you will love it in the snow.

Needs new tires and then it should be amazing in the snow.

The car was apparently in some sort of minor roll over or tipped over way back when it had below 25,000 miles.  The guy I bought it from fixed it up, and I must say did a excellent job because there is no clear evidence of major body work.  The car also still has a clean title since whatever the crash was, wasn't severe enough to total the car out.  It couldn't have been that severe anyway, it still has all the original Subaru windows. From what he described it was probably just dented up real bad. The big red streak on the passenger side rear panel is from his wife backing into their other car a few months ago.

Mine did great in snow even with crap tires. Can only imagine how much better it could have been with proper winter tires. I'm not sure how my Volvo is going to do yet. Thinking I might sell it in January anyway...

Speaking of snow, I got snow tires last week...

20151116_113715_zps0yfh2wu7.jpg

Michelin X Ice 3s.

I've been trying to find out if CVPI caps will fit on them. The bolt pattern on a Fusion is 4.25" and on a CVPI its 4.5"... Some have said you can just bend the little clips that attach to the lug nuts down. If anyone has any insight on that, it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I miss President's Choice :(

We used to have PC at our local grocery store - Jewel Osco, but something changed and they got rid of them. They had amazing products, including their Decadent Cookies... :(

Speaking of snow, I got snow tires last week...

20151116_113715_zps0yfh2wu7.jpg

Michelin X Ice 3s.

I've been trying to find out if CVPI caps will fit on them. The bolt pattern on a Fusion is 4.25" and on a CVPI its 4.5"... Some have said you can just bend the little clips that attach to the lug nuts down. If anyone has any insight on that, it would be appreciated.

People here have done that before to use CVPI caps on Gen 4 Taurus 16" steelies, so I don't see why not.

I miss President's Choice :(

We used to have PC at our local grocery store - Jewel Osco, but something changed and they got rid of them. They had amazing products, including their Decadent Cookies... :(

I didn't know they had it in the states...

People here have done that before to use CVPI caps on Gen 4 Taurus 16" steelies, so I don't see why not.

Is the Gen 4 bolt patter 4.25 too? I had no idea!!!

That is very good news as I have seen some with the CVPI caps. Kinda cool how my old car and new car share stuff like that.