What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Just got a new pair of tires delivered from Amazon. Date code is 32nd week of 2015. They're Firestone Precision Touring tires. They share a very similar tread pattern to the Affinity Touring tires I have on the car. Oddly enough, I have never seen the Precision Touring tires for sale at Tires Plus (despite offering a wide range of Firestone tires), only the Affinity Touring ones. Finding matching Affinity Touring ones online (e.g. Tire Rack or Amazon) doesn't seem to happen either, but I do find the Precision Touring ones quite easily. Odd.

4bU9br9.jpg

Needless to say, I've already cleaned off the protective blue film that goes on the white wall. These will be replacing the tire that got punctured by a large nail and the balded one due to the s**t alignment caused by the worn idler arm. The other two tires are in good shape with around 65% tread on them still. I think they're only around 2 and a half years old.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

I learned the hard way my Olds has an ignition cutoff.

Today was helping Brian with his car, and had my car lock and windows down. I just reached over, pulled the lock up and opened, nothing, didn't think anything of it, was cleaning, using it for the sound, and didn't start it.

Went to try to start it, nothing...

I tried the remote starter - worked fine. Now I am assuming the ignition switch is bad, so tore apart the column to inspect, tried it again before getting my multimeter, same thing, but started with remote. Looking, I saw a row of relays, after, I realize I had unlocked the truck the one way, I push the unlock button on the keyfob, and it starts right up...

Well, at least I can get another discount on my policy! :lol:

Probably the cleanest Caravan I've ever seen that isn't new...

Today I did some work, I replaced the passenger side window regulator/motor on my 89 SC, the new one is from a junkyard, I was sure to grease it up too. Came out of a 96 T-Bird, so it actually blows the driver side one away... I am hoping to grease the driver side up and hope it will speed it up so I can sell it with perfect condition windows.

20150928_121816.jpg

Also started working on the parking brake. Found out the issue was with the cable that goes to the parking brake handle, the clip broke off, so ordered a new cable. I plan to replace all the lines to make the parking brakes work on that car since it does matter with stick shift.

After that, a through cleaning, then for sale she goes.

Put on the new pair of tires. Unfortunately I found what looks like a large staple stuck in my spare tire since I've been using it up until now. It's towards the middle and very small, so I'll take it over to discount tire and get it patched.

Full sized spare?

Its a Panther car, of course it has a full sized spare.  Remember the deal with the CVPIs and the spare tire being launched forward in a rear end collision.

Its a Panther car, of course it has a full sized spare.  Remember the deal with the CVPIs and the spare tire being launched forward in a rear end collision.

Not firsthand, no.

Not firsthand, no.

I thought I remember something about Ford having to provide extra bracing and anchors to achieve the 70mph rear impact rating on the CVPI due to the spare tire just kinda laying in the back, since it can't lay in a recessed well due to the fuel tank being set behind the axle.

Full sized spare?

Yep. Not critical right now, but I rather have it available. It saved me when I was on the interstate and took a decent sized nail to the tire. I will get it patched on Thursday.

It actually had a mini-spare stock. The full size spare was an option. I just grabbed a steel wheel from a police car at the junkyard.

Also, I have never heard of the issue regarding the spare tire during an impact. I know that when they were hit in the rear at speeds greater than 70 MPH, there was a risk of fuel tank ruptures on the models, so later model vehicles came equipped with an optional fire suppression system.

I have seem some departments reposition how the spare mounts because of additional electronic equipment, but typically it remains in the stock location.

There was an electronics upfit that put the spare on a slide out tray:

uOesA3g.jpg

Standard:

trunk-empty1.jpg

Well then it was something about not removing the spare tire from the factory location because it provided structural support during a crash, removing or moving the spare from the factory location and mounting voided the 70mph rear impact rating.

0930151557_zpss0zppb8r.jpg

Pretty much done. Paint, windshield, fender liners. I do still need to put actual coolant in it. Put distilled water in it now that will be drained tomorrow. Put new air filter in, new thermostat and gasket, and did an oil change right off.

First issue popped up when I went to drive the car. Little wrench light popped on and it was shifting funny and rpms were bouncing around some. Pulled a p1719 out of the trans computer. I cannot find ANY info on this code online. So if anyone can find anything at all it would be a huge help!

0930151557_zpss0zppb8r.jpg

Pretty much done. Paint, windshield, fender liners. I do still need to put actual coolant in it. Put distilled water in it now that will be drained tomorrow. Put new air filter in, new thermostat and gasket, and did an oil change right off.

First issue popped up when I went to drive the car. Little wrench light popped on and it was shifting funny and rpms were bouncing around some. Pulled a p1719 out of the trans computer. I cannot find ANY info on this code online. So if anyone can find anything at all it would be a huge help!

Code P1719 appears to be a fault with the transaxle's Overdrive engagement.

Not sure how the car would have figured that out since I never even hit 20mph on my little drive. FORScan describes it as "engine torque signal" fault. Being a p1xx code it is manufacturer specific. Just hoping it isn't expensive to fix. Going to look over wiring and stuff a little closer tomorrow. Maybe I overlooked some damage.

When I owned my 09 fusion and the Trans shifted funny and sometimes harshly. The wrench light eventually came on and Trans got stuck in a lower gear....6k rpm to do 50 mph. It turned out needing a new transmission. Some kind of solenoid packs go out and basically cooked it.

Jeff

To my knowledge the gen 1.5 fusion has a recall for the transmission programming. I remember my dad had his recalled. Maybe look into that.

Put new tires on the '01 Dakota. Purchased a set of Michelins from Costco. First time dealing with Costco. Discount Tire couldn't match the price...exclusive member only sale. $550 vs $880 with warranty and installation.

Costco website did not list the wheels or tires on my Dakota. Their policy states they will not install tires that are not specifically listed for the vehicle. My Dakota has 16" rims from the factory. Costco only lists 15s or 17s (R/T model). I tried every possible configuration but no 16" option. So I looked up a Durango from the same year. It lists 16" optional rims. Same tire size so I ordered them.

I get a phone call about 15 mins after dropping the truck at the tire center. "We can't install your tires blah blah blah". I was expecting this call. After a short discussion, he agreed to continue with the install. Not my fault Costco's system doesn't list the correct wheel size.

Replaced the emissions hoses AGAIN on the Dakota. Every 6 months they rot out rather driven or sitting, doesn't seem to matter. I believe it's the ethanol fumes. Never had this problem before ethanol.

Picked up the dirty diesel '12 VW TDI from my buddy's shop. New timing belt and trans fluid change. No recommended interval for manual trans fluid, but 135k I think it's time. My buddy couldn't find a comparable aftermarket fluid so he used the OEM stuff. Fine with me, but damn $25 a liter.

The C230 murdered a raccoon this morning. Good sized raccoon too. Knocked out the fog light grill and busted up the wheel well and lower air damn splash shields. The right and center grills were knocked loose. I turned around and found the fog light grill. Those AMG specific grills are hard to find and expensive. It appears undamaged. I bought some spare clips a while back. On the bright side, this makes accessing the leaky washer bottle much easier.

21778822779_b0811035ca_b.jpg

• Like 1

The C230 murdered a raccoon this morning. Good sized raccoon too. Knocked out the fog light grill and busted up the wheel well and lower air damn splash shields. The right and center grills were knocked loose. I turned around and found the fog light grill. Those AMG specific grills are hard to find and expensive. It appears undamaged. I bought some spare clips a while back. On the bright side, this makes accessing the leaky washer bottle much easier.

Damn trash pandas... 

• Like 1

Oh look, a 3G came back, but not the good kind:
zWDyi8.jpg

Apparently alternators for Panthers are incredibly wanted by those at the junkyard, and essentially every Panther I visited except a freshly placed '92 MGM did not have one. The alternator being the only one available and on a '92 and such resulted with me having with a 7 rib pulley instead of the '93+ 6 rib pulley and being a 95 amp small case 3G. It is a Ford rebuilt one, so I've got that going, which is nice. It charges well and seems to be in good shape.

If I come across a better 130 amp 3G alternator, I might grab it, but for now, this one is working just fine. I've also tested it to see whether or not the belt might skip between ribs at WOT, but the belt has stayed put, so I'm not concerned about the pulley having an extra rib for the time being (plus, I have no tools in which to take a pulley off an alternator anyhow, lol)...

In the case of the 6G alternator I had on it beforehand, it was did okay for about a week after I swapped the connector when the old one was coming apart and was failing to make contact. The battery light stopped coming on and it seemed fine. Today I was driving and the charge light came on for about 3 to 5 minutes. I turned off most of my accessories and kept on until it went away. Unfortunately, it started the intermittent on-off deal, so it was in my best interest at that point to grab a replacement alternator since I was no longer feeling comfortable running the car at any distance with the possibility of full alternator failure.

My dad had a feral cat do similar damage in the same place on his Fusion on Saturday. Only car on the road, damn cat looks right at it, runs into the lane, briefly moves back towards the shoulder, and then lunges right in front of the driver's side wheels. Fortunately I saw the chrome foglight bezel skipping along the shoulder so we could go back and find it (more fortunately, not in a pile of cat intestine).

My dad had a feral cat do similar damage in the same place on his Fusion on Saturday. Only car on the road, damn cat looks right at it, runs into the lane, briefly moves back towards the shoulder, and then lunges right in front of the driver's side wheels. Fortunately I saw the chrome foglight bezel skipping along the shoulder so we could go back and find it (more fortunately, not in a pile of cat intestine).

Here in NY we have mostly deer. Wife stopped at a stop and waiting for the other car to pass, deer ran into the fender. New fender, grille, HL. Few years back. We have to watch full time where we live. Deer seen beside the road, daily event. They pass through our yard every evening. Back yard has new droppings daily. They eat the tomato plants, and apples.

No issue with small animals.

-chart-