What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

The original owners manual, which is very detailed, including how to off-road properly in the vehicle :P

Kevin has clearly never owned an SUV or truck before because every manual for trucks or SUV s explain how to drive offroad and describe break-over, approach, departure angles and driving though deep water.  If they didn't people can sue for not explaining "off road" capability.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

Kevin has clearly never owned an SUV or truck before because every manual for trucks or SUV s explain how to drive offroad and describe break-over, approach, departure angles and driving though deep water.  If they didn't people can sue for not explaining "off road" capability.

Driven trucks, but never actually thoroughly went though the owners manual of my dad's Ranger, I decided to check and it lightly goes over the details, just the basics.

SUV's? I drove the Escape, but I consider that an awkward station wagon as it has a Duratec 3L and CD4E which my Contour had :P

But never really read the manual for it.

The nice thing is I loaded the owners manual on my phone, so now I have the owners manual with me all the time for it. And I can do a search in the PDF to find text.

Speaking of SUVs... I have driven the Volvo XC90 to work the last couple days. It's an enjoyable ride. A bit over-sprung when riding solo but this is a 7 passenger vehicle. Surprisingly quick and nimble for a tank. I've been averaging 20.7 mpg at 75mph. Outward visibility is very good. Base "high performance" stereo system is better than average. Back up sensors make reversing into my parking space very easy. The 3.2L I6 is well matched to the 6 spd trans. Torquey engine.

A few things I do not like about the vehicle.

-No unlock button. The lock switch cycles between lock and unlock, instead of two separate buttons.

-No rear hatch release button. You must either use the key fob to unlock the rear hatch or remember to cycle the lock button before walking to the rear.

-Gotta remember to press the fuel door release button before pumping gas to unlock the fuel door. Has a fuel door button but no rear hatch button.

-Drivers seat lower trim is too big. It's impossible not to slide over the trim when exiting the vehicle. I'm 5'11" and I can't avoid it. No wonder every single XC90 we looked at had broken drivers seat trim, ours included. Fortunately the part was only $18, but it's guaranteed to break again.

-Impossible to upgrade the factory stereo. Rear parking sensor system runs through the head unit. There is an aftermarket DVD/Nav/Bluetooth unit available that integrates with the factory stereo through the AUX port. It mounts to the dash in place of the center speaker grill. Our car doesn't have the high end stereo with the center channel, so there is a fake grille currently taking that space.

-Impossible to turn the headlights completely off. When the lights are in the off position, DRL keeps the lights on unless the vehicle is completely off. I just leave the switch in the auto position.

Ouch, kind of reminds me of the Focus, it cycled lock/unlock, I hated how there were no lock plungers, so you either trusted the yellow light saying it was locked, or not. IIRC, when I shut the vehicle off and open a door, they all unlocked. Been so long thankfully.

I have that problem with my wagon and my blue Thunderbird, of course both I can open the trunk/hatch and pull the cord to open it, or just walk back over and press the button in the center console.

The Olds has autolamps, which can't be disabled easily. If I start the vehicle at night with the parking brake engaged, the auto lamps will not kick in until I release the parking brake. I kind of would prefer a way to disable auto lamps, for example at night I like to be polite when I back into my driveway, and turn the headlamps off and just have parking lights on, as to not shine my lights on other people's windows as 2 bedrooms are front facing. I could probably wire in a circuit to the autolamp sensor for when the switch is enabled, the autolamp system gets the proper reading from the sensor to assume it's bright out and disable the lights. Shockingly I do not have DRLs, which I thought every late 90's GM had DRL's.

As for factory radios, they are making aftermarket a harder option each day. With no innovation from of the aftermarket world with not being able to properly handle speakers over 4, they apparently do make stereos that will fit and actually interface with car computers, but those are expensive, and to me not worth it.

Kev....I had an s10 Xtreme aND I think they share a light switch....the round button on the headlight switch can be pressed. I believe twice and it should override the lamps. That is if I'm remembering correctly. I know it overrides the DRL function....or did on my Xtreme anyway.

Jeff

0905151816a_zpsa4eelunj.jpg

Brought home yet another Cougar. Either a 99 or 00. I'm not even sure. 148k miles. ziebart rust protection done to the car. It's a flip project. Basically a free car from an old co-worker. Going to stay in their name until it sells so simplify things.

Started out knowing it needed a trans pan gasket, alternator (put a reman unit in last year), and tires. Get there and put different tires on the car that I had sitting around. Started the car and checked voltage running, was at under 12V. Had 3 charged batteries with me to drive the car home. Put one in right away and double checked and wiggled connections at alternator. A couple miles down the road the battery light went out, checked it after driving a while and it was then charging at 14V. The trigger wire was maybe a little loose.

But new issues since the last time I saw the car are a nasty misfire and an exhaust leak.

Car managed 30 mpg on the way home with it (about 100 miles away)

Deep cleaning, new trigger wire connector, tune up, wheels/tires (already have), trans pan gasket and fluid then up for sale.

Speaking of SUVs... I have driven the Volvo XC90 to work the last couple days. It's an enjoyable ride. A bit over-sprung when riding solo but this is a 7 passenger vehicle. Surprisingly quick and nimble for a tank. I've been averaging 20.7 mpg at 75mph. Outward visibility is very good. Base "high performance" stereo system is better than average. Back up sensors make reversing into my parking space very easy. The 3.2L I6 is well matched to the 6 spd trans. Torquey engine.

A few things I do not like about the vehicle.

-No unlock button. The lock switch cycles between lock and unlock, instead of two separate buttons.

-No rear hatch release button. You must either use the key fob to unlock the rear hatch or remember to cycle the lock button before walking to the rear.

-Gotta remember to press the fuel door release button before pumping gas to unlock the fuel door. Has a fuel door button but no rear hatch button.

-Drivers seat lower trim is too big. It's impossible not to slide over the trim when exiting the vehicle. I'm 5'11" and I can't avoid it. No wonder every single XC90 we looked at had broken drivers seat trim, ours included. Fortunately the part was only $18, but it's guaranteed to break again.

-Impossible to upgrade the factory stereo. Rear parking sensor system runs through the head unit. There is an aftermarket DVD/Nav/Bluetooth unit available that integrates with the factory stereo through the AUX port. It mounts to the dash in place of the center speaker grill. Our car doesn't have the high end stereo with the center channel, so there is a fake grille currently taking that space.

-Impossible to turn the headlights completely off. When the lights are in the off position, DRL keeps the lights on unless the vehicle is completely off. I just leave the switch in the auto position.

That's a Volvo safety feature, the headlights are always on. You can have the dealer reprogram that if you can convince them but they usually will deny that service.  It took my friend several trips to the dealer to get them to admit they could do it but then of course they wanted $100 to do 2 minuetes of work.

Finished the radio install on the C230. The Clarion unit drives the stock speakers a bit harder, sounds very good. Impressed by the bass response, almost sounds like I added a sub. My order from Crutchfield included a set of 6.5" components which I haven't installed yet. They were running a promotion on Sound Ordinance products. The speakers list at $80 but I paid $10. Not sure if I wanna bother installing them. Setting up the steering wheel control adapter wasn't too bad. Only thing that isn't working is radio reception. The car's antenna is amplified. I triple checked all connections and confirmed 12V+ out of the radio, but all I got is static. Bluetooth streaming and hands free works great. The internal mic works well. The new tires I bought last week also help, virtually no road noise.

x020CX505-o_angle2.jpg

Decided to give the Chevada some love today, swapped out the POS Kenwood Head Unit for one of the Pioneers, and since I didn't have the the keys to remove the stereo, I had to take the dash trim apart to unbolt the head unit adapter, which got me access to my instrument cluster which was filthy.

20150913_182105.jpg

Everytime I take a cluster apart, I have to see what indicators are truly there.

What impresses me is how GM uses colored LED to illuminate each section for a 1998, and how easy it is to take apart. Only bulbs that are not LED are the turn indicators, high beam, and the gauges.

20150913_182114.jpg

20150913_182759.jpg

It is much cleaner now, before there was a nasty film, and the previous owner had dogs, I assume at least 2 or more with how much fur was in that car.

I tried to work on the Taurus today, but somehow, I have misplaced a ton of my tools, probably after the mouse problem came up, I just began throwing things in containers. Slowly I am getting my garage back with cleaning more junk out.

If I am not mistaken, the body systems would include the alarm system/lock/light system, passlock system, etc. The owners manual shows the light on the cluster, however, it never lights up on its own, nor is it discussed in the manual. So may not apply to my model.

Bought a 2009 Fusion SE with Sport Appearance Package today. Grand total after auction fees, tax, title, license came to $2140.50

0915151830_zpsfjtedkaf.jpg

Screenshot_2015-09-15-12-38-55_zpssrqjmo

137k miles, interior and the rest of the body are in great shape, just some minor stuff. Has the audiophile package, v6, moon roof. Sync, and lots of other fun things. Absolutely zero structural damage. 100% cosmetic. Car runs great, drives great. Looking into a parts car with my best friend.

• Like 1

Washed the Lin, washed the wheels good, took it for a ride around the block = 2 mi to dry the brakes. First stop, I hear a chime. Humm, looked at the display, nothing, pulled my cell phone out, nothing. I am puzzled. I am sure I heard a chime. Sitting at a stop sign then saw my wife's purse in the pas seat, and know her phone is in it. Solved :notworthy:

Made several stops, brakes good and warm & dry.

Wife never leaves her purse in the car. She is getting careless!

-chart-

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/09/18/epa-accuses-volkswagen-audi-evading-emission-laws/72400018/

EPA has accused VW of adding code into the cars computer to recognize when an emission test is performed and altering tuning to pass the test. VW has admitted to installing the "defeat device." Half a million "clean diesel" VW and Audi cars are affected. A recall is expected. Fine could be as high $18 billion.

Coincidentally (or maybe not a coincidence), VW issued a recall about 6 months ago for reprogramming. We noticed our 2012 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6 speed manual suggested downshifting more often after the last recall. I assumed this was for emissions or possibly the diesel particulate filter regenerating. The DPF requires extra heat (higher rpms) to regen.

Honestly good for VW for sticking it to the man (US Government) our diesel emissions are outrageous.

Potentially exposing people to harmful emissions...what a joke. The engine still has dpf and EGR, there are millions of Diesel engines on the road with no emissions and they aren't hurting anyone.

The entire article is a load of crap, if the car emitted 40% more NOx then they would physically have to bypass the dpf and scr (if DEF is used), in which case the government would force a recall of all the vehicles to have a new emission system installed. I would think that maybe VW just used a toned down dpf that doesn't meet federal standards and has a program to tell a scanner everything meets the standards.

I'd watch out for a recall of the entire emission system replacement.

Every other OEM offering turbodiesels here manages to abide by US law without using a cheat code, so no this is not a ******* "well done, guys". That's an idiotic point of view. VW can go screw themselves.

• Like 1

Brian, the problem is that they don't and probably never will tell you what they actually did wrong, for all we know the engines meet and pass all US emissions but just have some goofy coding that always tells the computer to display "good" readings when hooked to a scanner so VW customers never b***h about their overly complex diesel engine having problems. Meanwhile the EPA and media is out telling everyone that VW is harming people with their so called "clean diesel".  Would you buy a diesel powered car over and over if you have trouble passing emissions in a overly strict state like California. Its more of a marketing tool than anything, keep happy customers coming back.

I actually would tend to believe the emissions are in full compliance, I would find it hard for any supplier of DPF equipment to agree to keep that behind closed doors for just one automaker. Someone would have squealed that out long ago.  Running some form of a modified factory tune is just a way for VW to keep their customers from having less issues to deal with.

Meanwhile you have the EPA screwing around with tailings ponds and spilling millions of gallons of really bad stuff into a perfectly good river and lying right to peoples faces.  They probably need VWs money to try and fix that F-up, lol.  End my rant.

I can see your point Thub. This story is likely a boon to the EPA after the spill incident in Colorado. Takes the spotlight off of their own mistakes and makes it look like they are actually useful for something.

Since our VW is no longer under warranty, I've been looking at DPF delete kits. Seems fairly involved. But with tuning and parts, I can do it for around $1500. Gains are in the neighborhood of +75hp and +100tq with even better fuel economy. I will wait until the next recall to decide.

That would be a fun little wagon depending on how you tuned it. Most of the cost is in that tune since there are so few tuners left willing to create such tunes.

I fixed one thing on the Bravada. I changed out the rear wiper motor as it was dead. Old one just clicked, it appeared to be an aftermarket brand as it had labels saying to read all instructions prior to install, and lacked GM stampings.

New one was out of a 2004 Blazer, looked mint, and works like such.

I have also decided I am going to return the s**t speakers I bought for it. I bought these Pioneers from it, they sound like music is playing out of a tin can. No bass, sounds horrible. I contacted Crutchfield and they had the adviser recommend 2 different brands. Fronts they said should be JBL, and rears Kicker.

Downside is I didn't realize it but when I bought the Pioneers, I downgraded the size from 6 3/4 to 5 3/4, which Crutchfield automatically sent out these speaker adapters. The fronts had me remove the plastic, and install a new one. So I had to get new plastics again, which my junkyard thankfully let me have for free. 

Then I pulled a new passenger size window regulator for the Thunderbird, as the 89 has a bad motor, and it'd be hard to sell with broken features.

Got a lot done despite being in pain, but I also needed to get things done.

I swapped the Pioneers out of the Olds, sounds MUCH better. JBL in front, Kickers in the rear. The low notes sound clear, high notes are clear thanks to the tweeters in the dash. I tried different types of music, classic rock, rap, classical, mariachi, sounds good in there.

One thing I can say about Crutchfield, they have amazing customer service. Tell them you're not happy, they'll help you be happy.

Also did some vacuuming and found a bit of paper spendy money in the Olds, so, that kind of helped with the cost of buying it :D

• Like 1

Fusion parts car was purchased with a friend of mine. I pulled all the front end parts I need today except the cooling pack. Only other thing I need is the windshield. Going to be rocking a red and dark grey fusion for a while.

Will post pics of the parts car later but it was hit very hard in the rear passenger door and quarter panel. Perfect parts car for my friend and I. If any one needs anything from a fusion. Let me know! It's an 06 v6 SE

Very excited to drive my Fusion.

Also did some vacuuming and found a bit of paper spendy money in the Olds, so, that kind of helped with the cost of buying it :D

I'll need to return that lost property to the Chevada's first owner. Just... give it to me tomorrow. So I can... uhh, give it back to her.

Yeah. 

:creeper:

So I'm finishing up my work week, as usual I stopped to get the Jeep washed and quickly clean the interior.  I get back to the office unload my stuff and decide I'll give it a quick once over to make sure everything is good since I am putting a lot of miles on. (Mind you it was just in for an oil change 2 weeks ago).  I take a look underneath and spot this...

To my knowledge this is pretty new because I typically check under the truck on and off to make sure I'm not dragging something after driving off road.  Looks like instead of sourcing a new fill plug the mechanic just decided to JB weld a bolt into the center of the old one.  This is what scares me about mechanics, what the hell was he doing that he damaged a 3/8" fill plug on an aluminum transfer case.  If he stripped it, then he should be smart enough to get a new one.

IMG_0995_zpsg7v7clip.jpg