What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

2 vehicles.

Milestone for the WJ Jeep.  To celebrate, I ran it through the car wash and vacuumed it out. (This is pretty much a normal Friday afternoon activity just to keep my mobile office clean.)

The 4.0 I6 lives up to its name, at 175,000 miles this truck still runs great and leaks no fluids.

IMG_0917_zpsjgebxzu6.jpg

Chrome Yellow detailed and looking good. I use Ultimate Black on all the plastic trim and bumpers.  Almost 150,000 miles on the 2003 Escape now.

IMG_0918_zpssetp5p9q.jpg

IMG_0919_zpskqh8it7q.jpg

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

Had to replace the battery in the Oldsmobile. Decided I didn't need to buy another 1000-amp battery for it so I got the supposedly correct one (fortunately, the cheapest side-post they had). But, the "correct" size is actually a bit small for the tray so now I'll need to replace the battery hold-down that's been missing since I bought the car.

Also reattached the license plate bracket that some asswipe decided to bend last fall. Somewhere along the line someone had removed the two upper bolts (and replaced the two lower ones with a couple of toggle bolts for some reason), so I chased the threads for the uppers and got proper fasteners for the lowers.

My sister followed me in the 3L Contour to drop off the Mercedes. My niece captured a video from the backseat. Nothing exciting, just 1 of only 711 green SVTCs ever built on the road.

• Like 1

Had the A/C comp replaced on the '03 Sedan, just got it back last night.

Coold fine, cooled fine before right up till the comp went bang, bang, bang.

Now I need to trade my sedan back for my wagon as it needs inspection this month. Daughter driving one, I the other need to meet and trade.

-chart-

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced ignition switch in A6 wagon to remedy intermittent no start condition, replaced drivers side valve cover gasket (again) to remedy oil leak which results in smoke when oil drips on exhaust, and flushed out secondary air injection system to get rid of CEL. It should now be useable again. One down, one to go (Taurus has brake issue).

je0CPph.jpg

Well, we have finally done it. We installed the SVT front bumper, the SVT side skirts and the rear spoiler on SVT-WGN. We painted the pieces just to avoid having raw bumper on the front, silver on the side and white on the rear. But guess what? Rattle can CX (Dark Shadow Gray Clearcoat Pearl Metallic) is not the same as factory CX (Dark Shadow Gray Clearcoat Pearl Metallic). I did not think it would matter if the colour was off a shade (or two or three), but obviously, the pieces will eventually need a re-spray. Unfortunately, the quote from the professional body shop painters was more than what we have invested in the entire car (would you believe over $8000 to paint the entire car?). So I will drive with the two tone gray for the time being.

rk5VPUc.jpg

We also replaced the rear control arms and related bushings to tighten up the suspension. Just like new.

UUsYRRT.jpg

Edited by SHO-WGN
  • Like 2

Weird about the color. My car is Dark Shadow Grey Metallic and the paint code is CX as well. DupliColor rattle can paint matches perfectly for me.

Check with your body shop. I tried to have a body shop paint a bumper to match my car and they wouldn't do it. They wanted the entire car to blend the paint to match.

Any body shop worth anything will be able to custom mix a paint so close you wouldnt be able to tell. It just takes more time....which nobody wants to take. My 09 has been painted on twice. Once was just bumper cover. It was spot on. It matched the body and parking sensors which were not painted with the cover. The second was a panel blend. Just need to find a shop willing to put in the work. Thats hard to find nowadays.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Some body shops and paint suppliers have scanners that can scan a color identify it if it's in the scanners system and produce a custom paint mixture to match. My friends dad has a scanner like that at his paint store. Of course such a device is in the price range of 10s of thousands of dollars. Thus many won't invest in such a device.

150k on the 2003 Escape. All original drive train.  The CD4E has its little goofy shift flare but its done that since 60k miles.

FullSizeRender_zpszecbwfyb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New fuel pump

New coil pack

new rear springs (moog cargo coils)

New Rear Shocks (monroe sensa-trak)

new front coilover units (Monroe quick struts)

New Rear endlinks for the sway bar

Began work on my '99 Honda VFR Interceptor. Thermostat is stuck open. Simple job on most vehicles, not so on this one. Entire fairing must be removed. Fuel tank, airbox, and throttle bodies must be removed. Thermostat is buried in the engine's V. Only source for the thermostat is Honda. $45 part (with O ring). Some folks have modified aftermarket t-stats from Chevy Cavalier or Honda Civic... $5-10 part, but I'll stick with the OEM part. Considering the difficulty of this job, it needs to work the first time and keep working another 15 years.

While I have the bike in pieces, I replaced the voltage regulator / rectifier. They are common failures. I upgraded to a Rick's "hot shot" unit. The electrical contacts on the horn broke off, so I installed a pair of high / low FIAMM "highway blaster" horns. I'm considering replacing some of the bulbs... maybe LEDs which would modernize the appearance.

Alternator on the supercoupe died.

Pro: It's right on top despite billions of tubes and parts.

Con: Apparently nobody stocks it in store, Only place I see with it is Rock Auto, I might try and do a rebuild.... Maybe I can take my Taurus 3.8L alternator and combine them. But, guess that car is now down for service.

So now I only have 2 of 4 vehicles that work... :S

I feel your pain Kev. I have one functional vehicle right now really. the cougar, and that has a leaking radiator that I have been too busy to replace.

I guess I haven't posted in a while. The supercoupe has the new harness installed and keyless entry is working. The new harness also fixed the power locks, and corrected the previously cut speaker connectors. I took care of some rust spots that were just starting, the worst rust was in the spare tire area of the trunk.

The Volvo is currently in pieces in my garage, new trans, clutch, flywheel, axle, and some misc parts are ready to go in now. Working on that this weekend.

Probe is sold and gone now.

Ranger trailer is slowly getting to where I want it. I put a spare tire carrier from a bronco 2 on it. In part to help with weight distribution since I will be putting a tool box at the front.

• Like 1

I'm on the other side of that fence. Now we have too many running / driving vehicles so it's time for something to go bye bye. I stopped driving the 3L SVTC and started driving the Jetta wagon when we bought the XC90. Good timing, I guess, cuz tags and registration are due on the Contour next month. The MB C230 is still at my buddy's shop. His wife had their first baby this week so I'm not expecting any work to be done. As soon as I get the C230 back, the Jetta is going in for timing belt service. But after that, I'll probably be looking to sell the MB.

Who wants to buy a modified SVT Contour? I don't want to Craigslist it, but that may become an option soon. I don't want to sell it locally because I hate to see my old car driving around looking worse than when I owned it. Or have the person contacting me when there's a problem. I really want it to go to an enthusiast who understands and appreciates the car for what it is.

Alternator on the supercoupe died.

Pro: It's right on top despite billions of tubes and parts.

Con: Apparently nobody stocks it in store, Only place I see with it is Rock Auto, I might try and do a rebuild.... Maybe I can take my Taurus 3.8L alternator and combine them. But, guess that car is now down for service.

So now I only have 2 of 4 vehicles that work... :S

https://www.supercoupeperformance.com/alternator-for-the-38l-sc-engine-697

Wife calls me at work tonight. "You want the good news or bad news?" Oh s**t.... she hit a deer in the Volvo XC90. The car she begged for because it was taller and wouldn't be affected as much from hitting wildlife. She says the whole front end is damaged, but driveable (the good news). We haven't even received the new license plates yet. So much for being perfect.

So.... maybe I'll be keeping these extra cars around a while longer.

20231852930_098a0fa999_b.jpg

20231852880_47e3d8004b_b.jpg

Volvos are supposed to have a reputation of being able to avoid hitting wildlife, hence the prancing moose parody.  Actually it was the XC-90 that lead to the prancing moose because it was vastly superior in collision avoidance when compared to other SUVs.

My buddy had 2 stickers similar to these on his 1st S40.  They really pop out on the car and make people look twice.

B3.jpg

Volvos are supposed to have a reputation of being able to avoid hitting wildlife, hence the prancing moose parody.  Actually it was the XC-90 that lead to the prancing moose because it was vastly superior in collision avoidance when compared to other SUVs.

My buddy had 2 stickers similar to these on his 1st S40.  They really pop out on the car and make people look twice.

B3.jpg

We havent even made our first payment and the car is going into the body shop.....ugh

Wife said she didnt swerve at all. Which is better than attempting avoidance and over correcting.

I can say that the XC-90 does hold the road very well. It doesn't feel as top heavy as other SUVs. Body roll is well controlled.

I feel your pain Kev. I have one functional vehicle right now really. the cougar, and that has a leaking radiator that I have been too busy to replace.

I guess I haven't posted in a while. The supercoupe has the new harness installed and keyless entry is working. The new harness also fixed the power locks, and corrected the previously cut speaker connectors. I took care of some rust spots that were just starting, the worst rust was in the spare tire area of the trunk.

The Volvo is currently in pieces in my garage, new trans, clutch, flywheel, axle, and some misc parts are ready to go in now. Working on that this weekend.

Probe is sold and gone now.

Ranger trailer is slowly getting to where I want it. I put a spare tire carrier from a bronco 2 on it. In part to help with weight distribution since I will be putting a tool box at the front.

Well, I only had 0 out of 4 vehicles properly working earlier today... Kind of sad to think about. The 89, I took her alternator out today, found out it was rebuilt locally by a place called Morton Grove Auto Electric, I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they offered any warranties. If not, I'll see how cheap it would be to fix. The date on it shows something in 00, so it's a good 15 year old alternator. Removing it was easy, I was on the phone while doing it. 2 easy to access bolts, then I had to remove the tensioner, then it just came out.

Then my Blue Bird - The MFS is going bad... My right indicator isn't working right. So I gotta take that damn thing apart to service that or replace it. So I gotta hold it carefully to get my right indicator to work.

Sable I had in pieces fixing the brakes finally.

Then obviously 95 Taurus is disabled due to no plates/awaiting transplant.

So at least I have 1.5 Vehicles fully functional...

Long term plans, I plan to do a bit of repairs to the 02 Sable, keep it going for a bit longer, then try and sell her for a decent amount.

Taurus is to be rebuilt

89 and 95 birds I wanna keep. But if need be I will sell my 89.

The motorcycle, which I have barely ridden this year I intend to sell too. I don't want to, but I know the original owner mentioned if I want to sell it, to offer it to him first. So, perhaps I can get a pretty penny back on that too. If anyone is interested in a beautiful 2000 Victory V92C, let me know. ;)