What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only trouble is if either of you try showing down on the street no one will think you're racing, just attempting to briskly accelerate.

Work day today for the '97. The brake shudder came back, so I went ahead and decided to see if replacing the brake hardware will eliminate it. Parts fixed/replaced: New calipers on both si

More mods! Found the part number for the OEM black Charger emblem, so I did a swap. Yes yes, I could have plastidipped it, but this was just as cheap, and won't peel over time.

Posted Images

Bring your car out here not this weekend but weekend after and I'll do shocks and end links. We'll fix your window too.

And no, shocks don't bend control arms wtf who told you that....

That had left me puzzled as well but I was more taken back by the $1500 bill to replace simple suspension components.

Got the car back today. It's definitely much more on point and the clunk over bumps went away. That's what I get for running on 18 year old components. The alignment also helped.

Next week: Shocks all around and sway bar end links. Should ride like a new car after that.

Just ordered front and rear KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (PI spec of course :P) for a '97 Grand Marquis, and sway bar end links and rear cargo coils for a '91 Colony Park. I love interchangeability.

Supercoupe was transfered into my name today. New MN plates are waiting to replace the Missouri ones. $91.75

• Like 3

Casual drive through Mexico. 2003 Sable 3L Duratec in a 1999 SVT Contour. 2-3-4 gears. iPhone mic did a decent job of capturing the sound, but can't reproduce the buzz and deeper tones.

• Like 1

Would a 3.0L Duratec benefit from swapping something like the cams from another variant, such as from an SVT Contour or Mazda 6?

I’m asking for a friend. Yeah. :ph34r:

Your friend should try if for science.

• Like 1

Yes and no. 00-05 oval intake port (non-IMRC) do not benefit from a cam swap. 96-99 split port (IMRC) can benefit from swapping SVTC cams. SVT cams have longer duration but they are designed for IMRC, with a primary and secondary intake lobe. Oval port cams have equal duration on both intake lobes.

According to some spec sheets, the 04-05 engine has slightly higher lift ratio on the finger followers. These engines do tend to make 5-15 hp more after tuning. The dual plane intake manifold, improvement to PCV and cooling help as well.

When I originally built the 03 engine for the SVTC I installed the SVT cams. The engine made power to 7500 rpm but peak power was in a very narrow band (6500-7500). I swapped back to stock cams and gained 30+ tq at 1800 rpm with a much flatter torque curve. Power begins to fall off at 6500, and peak power dropped about 5 hp, but overall the car feels faster. I keep rev limiter at 7250. The engine makes about 235 hp/tq at the crank. There is slightly more power available in tuning, but I preferred a safer, more reliable tune. My Contour weighs in around 2900lbs with a full leather interior, A/C, and 10" sub.

So in my opinion there is no real benefit to using the SVT cams in a non-IMRC setup. However, it's still a popular swap.

Can't remember if I posted this yet but I got in a full clutch kit for the Volvo last week. $430. Now tomorrow I am sending money on a used single mass flywheel. $450 + shipping. These are normally $700 new. Only has 1000 miles on it. A Volvo factory dual mass flywheel is around $800. Slowly I am collecting parts for this project too. Basically need some bolts, fluids, seals, end links, engine mounts, and anything else I find wrong yet. And I still haven't decided what to do about 3rd gear....

Acquiring parts. Just waiting for my front coil springs.
HRQnJuG.jpg

Current list:
-KYB Gas-A-Just Front/Rear Police shocks
-Moog Box Body front sway bar end links
-Moog Rear Box Wagon cargo coil springs

Waiting to arrive:
-Moog Front Aero coil springs

The plan is to install this stuff with Bull Geek tomorrow.

• Like 1

30 mile trip home today. All intersate except local roads to home.

Friday evening traffic, 75 at times, 60 at times as traffic would allow.

Downhill all the way, wind at my back, both directions.

-chart-

Not really my other vehicle but my soon-to-be trailer got some work today. I gutted the brakes on the right side today and removed the 4x4 blocks. Also put 225/60r16 tires on it so that it is now at final ride height. Now I can begin building the tongue and finishing up some other things.

0427152017_zps3vjgqfjv.jpg

I always wanted to make a trailer like that. I know back when I would go on Contour.org when I had my Contour, there were a few people who chopped a Contour in half at the B pillar, and made it into a trailer. Be kind of cool to do that to a Taurus wagon, chop it at the B pillar and have all that space.

Looks too big to be a Chevy Sonic :P

• Like 1

The 2.5 Fusion is such a pile of....poor shifting, no performance. Pass. 2.0t would

Be better

I still like it!  I tried to buy a silver 2014 Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost a few weeks ago.  Seems for now I'm better off in the Sable dollar wise.  Plus, I do like the car...not really sure why I looked at trading it in really.  I don't owe a ton on the Sable and the payment is super cheap.  Plus, it does ride way better than the new Fusion( in my opinion).  Congrats on the car Blackout!  I can't wait to see what you do to it!  If y'all decide to do a meet in Chicago this year maybe I can come up again.  This time I'm coming up and staying at least a day.....I can't take that drive to stay only a few hours and drive back LOL

Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

I still like it!  I tried to buy a silver 2014 Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost a few weeks ago.  Seems for now I'm better off in the Sable dollar wise.  Plus, I do like the car...not really sure why I looked at trading it in really.  I don't owe a ton on the Sable and the payment is super cheap.  Plus, it does ride way better than the new Fusion( in my opinion).  Congrats on the car Blackout!  I can't wait to see what you do to it!  If y'all decide to do a meet in Chicago this year maybe I can come up again.  This time I'm coming up and staying at least a day.....I can't take that drive to stay only a few hours and drive back LOL

Jeff

You tried to do WHAT now? :huh:

• Like 1

I may have looked at couple different Ecoboost Fusions....i chose an ingot silver se with the luxury pack. It was a bad decision and Im glad it didnt work out. Really didnt need to buy anyways. Thats why I had asked you if you knew anything about the 2.0gtdi engine..

The 2.5 Fusion is such a pile of....poor shifting, no performance. Pass. 2.0t would

Be better

The 2.5L I4 is probably one of the smoothest NA engines Ford produces and is rock solid. It's a modern Vulcan, what it lacks in power it makes up in reliability and simplicity.