Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

The time had come for the Edge to go since the lease was just about up.  Got an '18 MKC  with the 2.3  

It's not Edge Sport quick but it does the job.

30624019_10100487379010998_593450792522874880_n.jpg

30724679_10100487379050918_5649717491463618560_n.jpg

1177008228651549419.jpg

8523668420638486309.jpg

• Like 2

Nice! Love the plate by the way!

• Like 1

I lol'ed when I saw the plate. Nice ride!

Dave, is this a lease as well?  I like it, but Ive never been sold on that strange bird beak looking front end.  If I see you in October, presuming we have a meet and you come, then we will have to go for a ride.   I promise to shake the dust out of my floormat afterward.  Everybody is buying mainly fancy Lincoln's and here I go and buy a Dodge. 

Jeff

And I go and trade my Lin in on a Buick. But I am old and it is comfortable, quiet, powerful.

-chart-

Tore the Vibe apart today. Lately I noticed a rattle in the car. At first I thought it was something in a glove box, or center console. Then I decided to check, nothing. Looked in the simple places first. Nothing. I couldn't pinpoint the noise and it was when turning or accelerating/stopping harshly. 

Well, first I thought maybe something behind the dash. It sounded like a screw or piece of plastic. I couldn't find anything. Looked under the center console, nothing. Removed the blower motor to see if I could find anything in the HVAC box, nothing (That'd be an evil thing to do... Put something in someone's ductwork to rattle...)

Nothing. I took it for another spin with all the plastics off, and realized the sound appears to be more on the passenger side. So, I decided to pull the passenger seat, then realized I have an audio amplifier under there, looks to be hooked up, so my Pioneer isn't bypassing the system probably. However, I found the damn culprit! 

HmqfGSh.jpg

There was a light bulb under that box. Looks brand new, not sure how it got there. 

85bvaVb.jpg

It was right in that corner. That cutout is for the duct work for the rear floor vents that I had already removed looking for the annoyance. I think I took the car on many reckless drives around the neighborhood trying to pinpoint that. 

loqmRR7.jpg

I was prepared to rip the whole car apart. Thankfully, I found it. Damn lightbulb was driving me mad. Now it's a silent car, and I got to practice taking the thing apart. :) 

• Haha 2

Well we got hit pretty hard with this April snow storm, I woke up to a good 14 or 15 inches of wet heavy snow, drifts were easily 3-4 feet in places. I had to run some errands and I wasn't letting the snow slow me down, I mean I have access to a big 4x4 truck so I wasn't worried. So for fun I tried to back out of the driveway in 2wd, I made it a whole 3 feet before it just spun, so I shifted over to 4, turned off traction control and locked the rear diff. I got down to the end of the driveway and realizing how deep it really was I made the shift to 4low and took off. I had got going good but I ended up stopping in front of the house to talk to a neighbor...I couldn't get moving forward again! I had to rock the truck back and forth to get moving and even then it struggled to get going. I have never seen this happen before but the snow was so wet, dense and heavy and the truck was too light that with all that torque in 4 low the rear axle was wheel hopping on the snow. I thought it was unreal that there was that much torque being put down at 5mph that the entire back end of the truck was jumping off the snow. I'm sure a few hundred lbs of ballast in the bed would have helped a lot.

Jeff, I'd expect Lincoln to switch all models to their new front end in the next few years. Look to the Company flagship Navigator and Continental front end.

Edited by Thub

SuEuU6.jpg

Finally got the car broke in. Now I need to go about another 12K and I'll have put 100K of my own driving on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Panther bodies, racking up insane mileage since 1979. 

I put a hellcat spoiler on my Charger yesterday.  Bought on eBay, but had a local body shop paint it for me.  Total cost was about $125 including the purchase of the spoiler.  I was very nervous drilling my brand new car, but it turned out really nice.  Also, added a nod to the original Chargers by installing a modern Pentastar emblem on the right fender.  Chrysler Did this to every Mopar product in the late 60s to mid 70s so I figured I throw one on, plus it has the pentastar engine so it's applicable.  Just gotta get tint and the SRT8 wheels on it now.

Jeff

received_10101941320246164.jpeg

received_10101941320276104.jpeg

received_10101941327072484.jpeg

• Like 1

So I did a rear brake job on my sisters car, 2014 Mazda CX-5. Rotors were trashed, lots of pulsing, very rusty, etc. Pretty straight forward and easy job. I take the passengers side rear caliper apart and find one slide pin is bent, and one is all full of brown goop and corroded. So I went to the Mazda dealer in hopes of finding OEM slide pins...I'll just say, don't waste your time with Mazda and their parts department, their only option was to buy a whole new caliper bracket for over $120, and apparently there are only 18 of those in the whole USA. So luckily O'Reilly had what I needed. Put it all back together and wow what a difference, that car has really snappy brakes when they are actually working.

I'm not sure how many miles were on those brakes, there was lots of pad left but they were all chopped up and uneven. I read a few things online and I would have to agree with others that Mazda skimped on the brake lubricant from the factory. So I really loaded them up with the good Motorcraft silicone brake lube. New pads and rotors were Wagner TQ ceramic and Wagner Premium E-Coat. So hopefully no dust and no rust.

Edited by Thub
  • Like 1

My 2015 Mustang now has Sync 3 infotainment with embedded GPS navigation, Apple CarPlay compatibility, and numerous other added features the car didn’t have before including EATC and a functional drive mode selector switch (Normal, Sport +, Track, and Snow/Wet). 

FE6796DB-A186-4277-9B27-11442D5289E9.thumb.jpeg.5ed235e236c0fb199ac6b92771846700.jpeg

A6915A99-BAC2-45DF-A69A-DD7B6A2777DA.thumb.jpeg.8aa2a2dba78c762576abeeae738a5c1a.jpeg

3D8EB11D-5629-47F6-B50C-C3285018883A.thumb.jpeg.8a9887e4a075b73e6bf61b1ce34beedc.jpeg

88AE4F38-B74C-49F2-9A53-30CC6786B87E.thumb.jpeg.43dcdca34e7691b3aa826bb24cc2c427.jpeg

• Like 2

Changed the heater hoses, radiator hoses, and thermostat out on the '97. I was working on borrowed time with 21 year old hoses and figured it would be wise to change them before age caught up.

Topped the system off with G-05. Everything seems to work fine at operating temperature.

As with any car I get, I want to know any use of oil or coolant. Been 1,200 miles since my oil/filter change. In my garage, cold, I check and note about 1/16" above the top dimple. I check along the way and see no change but at this miles I took the pic. Maybe down 1/16" so no future worries unless I see a drip under and since in the garage with cardboard under I should see that. Coolant was not to the full line when I bought the car last Jan, I topped it off. But failed to note if it was hot or cold. It is recovery tank and not pressure tank so I can add hot or cold. Now note, hot right on Full, cold down about 1/8th inch. Recovery tank can evaporate since no seal cap. And for this old coot, I fail to see the need for a pressure tank anyway. I have had several, never had a leak, but 2 caps fail, one full on dump of the tank. Buick uses the pressure cap right on a riser on the engine. Different concept for coolant pressure.

When I got this from the Buick garage service, and home, the oil was way overfilled, maybe 5/8" over and a bit dark. I tried to drain out a Quart in a container but messed up and lost too much so I just changed it, and put in the spec 4.0 Q with filter. Oil change range decided by the car computer. History looks like ~4500 miles. My trips are short, average 13 miles per day, average speed ~25 mph.

And as a side note: the wife decided she would not drive it any more. She is now out in the '03 Wagon for the first time. Buick as most newer sedans have poor visibility all around. When I switch to the wagon, easy to see the huge difference in visibility.

BuickOil5-18.jpg

A bit disappointed in GM Kuality. My grandfather complained about seeing an ABS light on his 2012 Impala, I saw the tire pressure was a bit low with the OnStar App, so I went and added air today. Insisting it was the ABS that was harassing him, I took it for a spin. The minute I began driving the car, "Service StabiliTrak, Service Traction Control, Service Brake System" All began displaying on the info window. The system was such a pain that it would do that 4/5 times until eventually the lights all came on, and then it shut up. Called OnStar to see if they could pull codes, and they could! Good since I didn't bring my scan tool, they said it is a - C0035 - Apparently left front wheel sensor is faulty. 16k miles on it. Either Chicago Roads did a number on it... Or just amazing Chinese quality GM parts. OnStar was quick, "We can schedule you an appointment to your local Chevrolet Dealer!" No no, I fix myself. $80 for a new hub on RockAuto (Could buy the $30... But something weird about unknown names for 30, then Timken, AC Delco, and Raybestos being in the 70+ range. Really don't feel like tearing this car apart multiple times. But since it has 16k miles, shouldn't be hard to service :) 

In case anyone is wondering what a good oil sample looks like from a 3.5L Ecoboost.  I thought I should get a base line for the truck, this oil had between 5000 and 6000 miles on it, a good mix of regular driving, moderate to heavy towing 5000-8000lbs, and a long 2000 mile road trip. No wear metals, no fuel (good sign for the Ecoboost since they suffer from oil dilution due to the high pressure), no coolant, and no water.

Sm4eXK3.jpg

Drove the Vibe through some deep water

aHjhIuG.png

• Sad 1

Where the hell did it flood that bad?! 

That was about a mile away from my house. Seems the sewers in that area can't handle the excessive water. 

Finally got off my lazy ass and began doing some work to the Roadmaster. First time in a very long time, it was actually very nice to be outside in Illinois. That seldom happens, generally too hot or too cold. 

oMJdQWD.jpg

I love this floor, over winter, the garage floor became soaked in oil and transmission fluid from the oil seeping out of the rubber rotted lines, wiped right up in minutes. 

huQPcKz.jpg

Nothing like a good ol' Chinese part for your All-American station wagon!

87ebcfg.jpg

At least they aren't leaking oil from the connectors. 230k+ miles in the South have worn them out. However... I am loving every time I put a wrench to this car, the bolt or nut comes out. Every time I put a wrench to other cars such as my Mitsubishi, my old Taurus Wagon, or my old Sable... (Haven't put a wrench to the Vibe yet), generally a bolt or two snap. 

I need to do the transmission lines too, however, the Impala SS forums are saying not to waste time replacing the transmission lines, as the only transmission line I have (I swear I bought both, but the other one was discontinued), but getting to the actual line is a pain in the ass, requiring the dropping of the exhaust

fxWgJTS.jpg

The line I do have is the top one, the bottom one, the easier one, I do not, however, it's also a pain to snake these through as they aren't flexible and being a Roadmaster, the lines are a good 2 miles long to get all the way from the transmission to the front of this beast. They recommend since my lines aren't rusted/broken to just cut them, flare them, and use rubber hose with some good clamps. I think I shall do that instead, and if I ever have the transmission serviced, have that line put in later. 

What else does the Roadmaster need? 

Leaks oil, and appears to be leaking from the top, apparently the intake manifold gaskets wear out from the heat of the EGR in that region and need replacing, might as well replace valve cover gaskets too since I am in that region to help. I am hoping the oil pan gasket is not bad... That would be a nightmare since the engine sits over a brace and requires lifting it up a bit to work on it. Then I need to take off the windshield cowl to ensure a good seal around all the components due to leaking when it rains into the cabin. Then, I can start driving the Roadmaster again, which is nice because it has an amazing air conditioner. 

Welp, its that time again everyone. This one was parked when someone decided to park their lifted truck on the hood. Needs core support, impact material, fenders, hood, and radiator mounts. Runs like a DREAM and its a low mileage (64k) example. Interior is 7/10, so I'll probably replace the interior with tan at the wife's request (this is gonna be HER car). At first I was thinking parts car, but with a clean title, airbags didn't go off, and little real damage I think its a keeper.

Towed back from Toccoa, GA where it was a one owner little old lady car, so I'm totally expecting the worst.

2004 vert.jpg

Not to often that I have put the 1500lbs of payload capacity to real work, but these old railroad ties were really heavy. I bet that was a solid 900-1000lbs of old wood.

Truck rode like an absolute dream with that weight.

IGQD8BZ.jpg

Edited by Thub
  • Thanks 1

Finally got the dual exhaust system completed on the wagon. Took it down to a local exhaust shop that did the '97's muffler some time ago. Welded in a coupler for the passenger side tailpipe, custom bent a driver side tailpipe, and installed three hangers. In and out in less than 30 minutes for $85. They did great work.

XJGaCI.jpg

yjNlka.jpg

T7MQCg.jpg

I may clean up how far it exits from the body. It's probably out about an inch. Worst case scenario I clip it back a touch with a saw, but I may just leave it alone.

After the exhaust shop, I cruised it on the interstate so I could head over to the DIY carwash. The A/C did great with the heat and at freeway speed (80 MPH), you can't feel the dead miss. It cleaned up pretty nice considering it hasn't been washed down in several months and was covered in dust, bird droppings, grass, and other yard debris that settled on it.

78JNyS.jpg

Hopefully it won't be long and I'll have the parts in hand to fix the issue. :ph34r: Once that project gets underway, it'll have a bit more grunt. Nothing show stopping, but it'll be above 160 HP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

dissasembly.thumb.JPG.9dd804a6191350fcf3258e9116ecfe9e.JPG

Well, it came apart easy enough. Becky and I had the front end off in 1.5 hours, pulled as much as was needed to see the damage.

broken.thumb.JPG.30b911423c89ed9f55583439021afb09.JPG

This is the worst of it. The frame isn't bent, but the core support, radiator & supports, and pretty much entire a/c system are trashed. I guess its a good thing it has a giant hole in the roof for warm days.

Edited by machausta

This past Sunday we had some strong storms sweep through the area. I decided I wanted to go for groceries before the weather hit. I didn't quite make it and the weather swept through while I was at my last stop. I got the flash flood warning on my phone but didn't think much of it.

I got a few miles down the road and all of a sudden there was a river in front of me where the road used to be. I didn't see any floating debris so I drove through slowly. I figured that would be the worst of it. Was I ever wrong.

I got half a mile down the road and there was an even bigger river in the road. Beyond that I had to drive through another one. By the time I got home I had driven through at least 6 flooded roads. Thankfully the Fiesty never lost it's footing or I might have ended up in the dead bug position. I wish I had pictures but I was too busy white-knuckling the steering wheel and playing footsies with the clutch, brake and gas to even think about it.