Jump to content
Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Recommended Posts

Saw a red white & silver Flex today. I'd love to have one. Completely inappropriate for a single person who doesn't haul anything more than car cleaning supplies and snow covers. Too bad they don't make them about half as big ! 

But it sure was pretty :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just waiting for a nice day...

dinantronics_sport.jpg

Edited by machausta
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hauled my ‘05 Benz C230 to my buddy’s shop to have the transmission linkage checked out. The 6 speed manual will not stay in reverse. Also looking at suspension damage, also caused by the previous owner before the vehicle was repo’d. It may turn out to be too expensive to fix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, after my ordeal with Ford on my Fusion and the fact that it was nearly out of factory warranty....after weeks of going back and forth over it in my head and still having the gut feeling to get out, I traded it in tonight and bought a brand that I've never had the pleasure to own before.  I put a brand new octane red 2018 Dodge Charger in my driveway.  With the incentives on the charger and the Chrysler Capital rates for first time Mopar buyers I couldn't pass it up.  It's the V6 SXT model with some options less sunroof and leather.  Has touchscreen radio, backup camera, parking aid sensors and all the standard stuff...that's about it.  It has most everything I actually used on my fusion and none of the things I didn't.  So far, really liking the room and ride of this barge.  I know I don't own any Fords now so hopefully y'all won't kick me out and hopefully I'm still invited to meets and what not.

Jeff

IMG_20180309_134904372.jpg

Edited by Jeff
Fixed spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooooo nice! Now you can race Brian with his shiny V6 'Stang. :P

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of us are all getting new cars all at once?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angrod said:

Ooooo nice! Now you can race Brian with his shiny V6 'Stang. :P

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of us are all getting new cars all at once?

I don't think a v6 charger is going to win any races, but compared to my 1.5 ecoboost it will move.  I had to really wind that 4 cylinder up to get it going.  This car does it almost effortlessly.  Driving it reminds me of my 09 Sable, only better.  Also, yes we're all buying new cars....I thought that was weird as well.

 

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a nice looking Charger, that red is nice. My Town and Country with the 3.6 is surprisingly quick, who would've thought a minivan could chirp the tires on a downshift lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Angrod said:

Ooooo nice! Now you can race Brian with his shiny V6 'Stang. :P

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of us are all getting new cars all at once?

 

Yeah, I think it’s reached that point where 2007 and older Tauruses and Sables are no longer the most reliable or cost effective choice of transportation for many of us. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

 

Yeah, I think it’s reached that point where 2007 and older Tauruses and Sables are no longer the most reliable or cost effective choice of transportation for many of us. 

"many" but not all. My 2 '03 Sables will hopefully be reliable for several more years. Just starting on my '11 Lucerne and it is nice.

-chart-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did my first mod to the Fiesta today. LED license plate bulbs. Looks a lot better compared to the incandescent lights that were in there.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently, my new car got some cosmetic and functional upgrades. New wheels and tires, a spare tire/tool kit to replace the inflator mobility kit that comes standard, LED interior and reverse lamp bulbs, door latch striker dampers, and hood lift struts. 

8225C7D5-034B-485C-8FAE-726DB6C95518.thumb.jpeg.21dcd784ff3971ec2ff7b16f05f762d7.jpeg

 

3D0BDE6B-F004-4524-B334-6D178490FFD3.thumb.jpeg.d8e31b755e6a8722499243f16558f3ad.jpeg

0A383AC2-B3DB-458A-919E-35A7E7E75987.thumb.jpeg.c237111530408f211ca9cccda3c542a0.jpeg

F17143B1-0286-4B3C-9AE6-41C8CE335360.thumb.jpeg.ecc27fa868ea81cf9cb781b4f7b792d5.jpeg

 

8F0E4C9E-E2F3-4D66-99E5-9E61DB62BBB6.thumb.jpeg.b5a5df48a5c0623c8dc06bc967844947.jpeg

1B24A8C8-142A-44AB-8047-EB0CBA0CE762.thumb.jpeg.48513eef93f01494ea357d3362270405.jpeg

730CD07C-6011-4DE8-951F-9FC913816AD6.thumb.jpeg.06eb45f4b2a0a4ab9bab1481186d339c.jpeg

 

And I stopped by so another TSOC member who recently bought a car could see it too. 

1A390A72-1BF6-40CD-9CB1-BDD928DAA6EC.thumb.jpeg.f797ff6c3e9a5010acaf0d24fde347b6.jpeg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 10:09 PM, Jeff said:

Well, after my ordeal with Ford on my Fusion and the fact that it was nearly out of factory warranty....after weeks of going back and forth over it in my head and still having the gut feeling to get out, I traded it in tonight and bought a brand that I've never had the pleasure to own before.  I put a brand new octane red 2018 Dodge Charger in my driveway.  With the incentives on the charger and the Chrysler Capital rates for first time Mopar buyers I couldn't pass it up.  It's the V6 SXT model with some options less sunroof and leather.  Has touchscreen radio, backup camera, parking aid sensors and all the standard stuff...that's about it.  It has most everything I actually used on my fusion and none of the things I didn't.  So far, really liking the room and ride of this barge.  I know I don't own any Fords now so hopefully y'all won't kick me out and hopefully I'm still invited to meets and what not.

Jeff

IMG_20180309_134904372.jpg

Nice Charger Jeff, of all the FCA vehicles I think the Charger is one of the best. Too bad the Fusion did pan out for you, its a decent car but I really don't fully put all my faith in that 1.5/1.6L platform.

 

It has reached the point where everyone has pretty much said goodbye to the Gen 4 cars. I would have kept mine longer, it was running great, it was just at the point where I would have driven it into the ground and let it rot out. If things had panned out a little different in my life I probably would have kept that Forester and drove it until it blew up (the head gaskets would have gone again or the timing belt). Really I was driving that thing around 300 miles a week and it was reliable.

I really like the F150 though, its super comfortable, powerful as hell, and drives down the road effortlessly. I just wish it was a little better on fuel.

Edited by Thub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Thub said:

Nice Charger Jeff, of all the FCA vehicles I think the Charger is one of the best. Too bad the Fusion did pan out for you, its a decent car but I really don't fully put all my faith in that 1.5/1.6L platform.

 

It has reached the point where everyone has pretty much said goodbye to the Gen 4 cars. I would have kept mine longer, it was running great, it was just at the point where I would have driven it into the ground and let it rot out. If things had panned out a little different in my life I probably would have kept that Forester and drove it until it blew up (the head gaskets would have gone again or the timing belt). Really I was driving that thing around 300 miles a week and it was reliable.

I really like the F150 though, its super comfortable, powerful as hell, and drives down the road effortlessly. I just wish it was a little better on fuel.

k4DXrnQ.jpg 

Uhhhhh what now? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Sunday I ripped out the '87's single diaphragm booster. It was on it's way out giving me an awkwardly stiff pedal and constantly hissing when depressed.

Ratty, rusty thing:

eaoGFQ.jpg

I really don't know who was in charge of harness routing on these cars, but they routed three major harnesses, two important vacuum lines (cruise and reservoir), and the cruise control cable across the booster. Vacuum lines are easy since they just pull apart. The cruise control module unplugs and can be swung out of the way. The harnesses, not so much. It takes some unique maneuvering to get those where you want it. And to top it off, the booster can't be pulled straight out because the wiper motor is in the way. ;) You got to pull it forwards as much as possible, then take the right hand side and pull that forwards and keep turning it, angling it, and turning it until it slides out from all the harnesses. Getting the bolts out under the dash were less annoying than the physical removal.

Anyway, the replacement booster resolves all of those issues. It's one spec'd for a '92 Panther, but it's better all around. It's half the diameter, but a dual diaphragm setup. It offers greater effort than the original one. Even though it sticks out a bit further, it easily just slips in between the harnesses and such.

o29WNU.jpg

If you look above the main harness that goes over the booster, you can see where the plastic cowling has a rounded edge where the old booster would have fit into.

The brake pedal feels so much better now and gives a more confident feeling when slowing down.

 

Anyway, that's crossed off the to-do list. Still need to get the exhaust system finished up. Duals are in place, but over the axle pipes need to be welded up along with some appropriate hangers. It also is awaiting a top end refresh since it's believed to have a burned valve on cylinder one (the exhaust will suck in paper when held a 1/2" away). I'm recording 10 PSI on that cylinder and it runs with a dead miss. But, since the heads are coming off, there's no sense in not giving it a small power bump. Another 302 around here that's getting it's own top end refresh will be donating some parts along to fix another 302. Once that's all said and done, maybe I'll start driving it again. I've been very limited when I take it out since I don't like driving on seven cylinders and it's absolutely killing the gas mileage. I've driven it so little the last time I put gas in was January, and it was finally low enough to fill up on Sunday. :(

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2018 at 6:48 PM, -chart- said:

"many" but not all. My 2 '03 Sables will hopefully be reliable for several more years. Just starting on my '11 Lucerne and it is nice.

-chart-

Third Bull is still doing well. (Knock on wood). At 124K miles I'm hoping to get a bit  more life out of it.  Major tuneup coming up so we'll see if anything shows up.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 8:51 PM, ShelbyRacer78 said:

 

Uhhhhh what now? 

There are a few stragglers yet, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed out the factory fill oil in the Charger today.  It had a week and 320 miles on it.  When drained, it had the fine metallic debris you expect from a brand new engine during break in and I didn't want the circulate all of that for 3-6 months.  I went back with a Mopar oil filter MO-349 and 5w20 Quaker State Advanced Durability conventional oil.  It is one of only a few that had the  proper Chrysler spec printed on the packaging and I want to adhere to the guidelines set by Dodge.  I'll likely run this for 1500-2000 miles and then change it again.  I change my oil often so I may stick with conventional on this car.  Even though I work for a parts house, I purchased everything at Walmart because it saved me over $10.00 on the exact products I bought. Ten bucks is ten bucks.

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I changed out the factory fill oil in the Charger today.  It had a week and 320 miles on it.  When drained, it had the fine metallic debris you expect from a brand new engine during break in and I didn't want the circulate all of that for 3-6 months.  I went back with a Mopar oil filter MO-349 and 5w20 Quaker State Advanced Durability conventional oil.  It is one of only a few that had the  proper Chrysler spec printed on the packaging and I want to adhere to the guidelines set by Dodge.  I'll likely run this for 1500-2000 miles and then change it again.  I change my oil often so I may stick with conventional on this car.  Even though I work for a parts house, I purchased everything at Walmart because it saved me over $10.00 on the exact products I bought. Ten bucks is ten bucks.

Jeff

My check once every couple years and when starting out with a used vehicle. I punch a hole in the end of the filter and let it drain out. Cut it off with snips. Look for what settles there. Also cut out a section of the filter and dip it in mineral spirits and put it between paper towel sections to remove the liquid oil. I look at it under 30X magnification and look for what is in the inlet side of the media. Prefer to see no shiny things there. I will guess this one at ~150K when this was done. 169K now and still purring. Engine will outlast the body by ~2X.

Just did the Buick Lucerne I bought and it looks cleaner than this filter.

-chart-

OilFilterWH16.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we're pretty sure the damn oil pump on the TnC. It will be close to 1000 bux to get fixed even with my wifes discount. It wouldn't be bad if I just got the parts through them but I just don't have time to it myself. Looks like the ol Taurus is getting revived to pick up the slack again as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang that stinks about the oil pump. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2018 at 8:42 PM, Vulcanator said:

Well we're pretty sure the damn oil pump on the TnC. It will be close to 1000 bux to get fixed even with my wifes discount. It wouldn't be bad if I just got the parts through them but I just don't have time to it myself. Looks like the ol Taurus is getting revived to pick up the slack again as usual.

Is that the pentastar 3.6?

 

I was reminded that with the big capability of the F150 comes the big cost to use that capability, had to buy a rather expensive adjustable 2 5/16" ball hitch to tow a big 20' enclosed trailer next week.  For the amount I've spent on different hitches I should have just spent the big money and bought a adjustable load equalizer setup that would work for anything I would ever tow.

Edited by Thub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it's the pentastar. It was throwing a code for the pump and put the van in limp mode. The shop did an oil change and cleared the code which came back pretty soon after. Now the code went away a couple days ago and all seems fine again. I really hope it stays that way, I really don't wanna half ass fix the bull right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the Fiesta to touch triple digits on Thursday morning. I was late for work, traffic wasn't letting me merge onto I-70 and the Transit van waiting behind me kept creeping ever closer to my bumper. Once I had an opening I let it rip to redline in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, then went to fifth and kept it pinned until I reached 100. I then coasted for a mile until I caught up with traffic in front of me. Never saw the van again and I felt a little better. The car was surprisingly composed for being so small and light.

Moral of the story: Don't get in my way when I'm mad and running late. I do dangerous things.

Edited by Angrod
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Angrod said:

Got the Fiesta to touch triple digits on Thursday morning. I was late for work, traffic wasn't letting me merge onto I-70 and the Transit van waiting behind me kept creeping ever closer to my bumper. Once I had an opening I let it rip to redline in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, then went to fifth and kept it pinned until I reached 100. I then coasted for a mile until I caught up with traffic in front of me. Never saw the van again and I felt a little better. The car was surprisingly composed for being so small and light.

Moral of the story: Don't get in my way when I'm mad and running late. I do dangerous things.

Oh please, imagine what happens when you let a 24v DOHC V6 free.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ShelbyRacer78 said:

Oh please, imagine what happens when you let a 24v DOHC V6 free.... 

Or, uh, a really grumpy 302 while attempting to keep pace with some Fusions... :D 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×