• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please contact us at [email protected] and we can reset your password. 
    • Sean T.

FIXED ~ Issue for New Member Sign-Up   01/13/18

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding the error codes given when trying to register as a new member. If you have further registration issues, including error codes EX1364 or 2S129/1, please contact us at [email protected] with the error code displayed. Thank you, and welcome to our site.
Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

That's gotta be quite the job on that 1.5/1.6 EB, that timing belt is oil bathed and the whole works. That's what's scary about all these new cars, they still have normal problems like a failing or faulty water pump but all the repairs are so intense because everything on the engine is so complex.

Jeff you should really inquire how much that repair costs, some of the repairs that these cars will all likely face in the future are astronomical in cost. Like the $1300 rear window replacement on my F150, although that's not a normal repair I did feel that it was a bit expensive. I wouldn't have paid for it if I was out of warranty.

Speaking of warranty work...I think I have a failing or beginning to fail IWE on the F150, random groaning and grinding noises from the front end when turning at speed, I'm sure that's gotta be close to a grand to replace an entire front hub and IWE actuator, next time I have the truck in for a free tire rotation I'm having the dealer check the front hubs and axle over.  I really hope Ford has replaced that silly reverse vacuum system with something better on the new F150s, their system of having to apply vacuum to disengage the hubs is backwards and stupid. There are just too many variables that can cause something to go wrong.

I'm sure my truck is also one of the 1.4 million trucks being considered for recall due to the 6R80s one major flaw.

Edited by Thub

What have I done lately...hmm...bought a new one.

beetle.jpg

• Like 1

Did I say bought it? Oh, I mean "hit a raccoon".

wreck1.jpeg

wreck2.jpeg

wreck3.jpeg

Did you seriously hit a trash panda with a car you just bought? 

Oh no! Did said dealer offer a return policy?? :lol:

That seriously stinks though. Damn things should really be considerate of traffic laws... :(

So today I saw my trucks twin but in King Ranch trim, and I noticed a few things which of course I prefer over my Lariat trim.

2013 Lariat grill with or without Chrome Package. Shown is chrome package, note the tow hooks are chrome. My truck is configured like this except for the addition of 2 tone paint, all Lariats have the chrome grill surround though.

2013%20F150%20EcoBoost%20Front%20View.jp

2013 King Ranch without chrome package...bare tow hooks. KR without Chrome package has body color grill surround, KR with Chrome package has chrome grill surround.

1E37038A-3462-48FD-8FC8-A545E00047C8_3.j

Now I want that blue grill surround and mirror skull caps!!

Edited by Thub
  • Like 1

4Runner got its first oil change under me.

That was just a ruse to get it into the dealer. The Navi has been freezing up on me randomly on longer drives. Did some fourm research and found that the update it did using my phones data connection needs to be supplemented by a dealer update as well. So I got it done, $59.

Took it to Hilton Head, used navi and streaming the whole way up and back with no freezing. I'm cured!

• Like 1

I got the car back today after Ford having it for 14 days(including weekend days) 10 business days.  It looks as though they did a top notch job.  They wound up replacing my water pump, degas tank and cap, and one wheels worth of lugnuts(because they were all swollen and I had replacements in the trunk already).  They also installed my new serpentine belt that I provided them with which is a job unto itself.  On this engine it should definitely be replaced before it wears out and leaves you stranded on the highway needing a tow(because there is really no way to change it roadside easily).  That's one job I won't have to do or pay for done.  There were some hangups getting the water pump and then I guess the first gasket they had was bad because they called all over town(including to me) to find one.  When that didn't work they had someone drive a few hours away to get another one so that they wouldn't be down another day waiting for a gasket.  I was getting antsy because it was taking so long, but I really didn't bother them too much.  Just glad to have it back and extremely lucky that it happened when it did and that I had a warranty to cover it.  Warranty expires in 10K miles and/or October 31, 2018.  Hoping this is the last of the issues I have with it and hoping I don't have to revisit this on my dime during my ownership.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Gathering bits and pieces for my next whacked out adventure: Add Ride Air Suspension To Factory Coil Spring Car. 

Assuming my info is correct, I need the stub harness that runs into the trunk to essentially control the sensor and solenoids. All the other wiring is present in the car, simply dormant. 

Outside of the airline that runs the length of the frame, I can get everything from the junkyard. I would fish the air line out, but it’s run with the brake lines and super tight up against the body. Air brake tubing in 3/16” size seems to be a match to the factory stuff, so it’ll be used instead. 

• Thanks 1

I had a lovely visit with my car yesterday, but as soon as I started it this morning the engine light popped on.  I went in the house and came back with my scanner and it threw out a P0017 Cam/Crank correlation B1SB.  Per ProDemand this is usually caused by the timing being off one or more teeth.  Looks like I gave them too much credit.  So, they have it back and I'm back in a 12 Fusion for the time being, but this one is the 3.0 which is way more peppy than the last loaner I had.  Hoping it doesn't take another two weeks to get my car back.  I've been pondering on trading the fusion and I'm sort of keen on a 16 Charger RT in red that our local Chrysler dealer has out on the front line.  Hmmmm...

Jeff

The Mustang is getting some upgrades. :ph34r: 

6F89DB13-672C-4CA1-AC52-0B668ED33934.thumb.jpeg.e845272ca269825d5ed8526dcec51a96.jpeg

88E83D20-32E9-4471-B715-A043AD876AF9.thumb.jpeg.cf84042b60c73a4fe02aaafc96ca2f5d.jpeg

• Like 2

im wanting to install a set of mechanical gauges on my 2003 Vulcan powered Taurus. i want to install a water temperature gauge and an oil pressure gauge. my question is where do i connect them on the engine ?

On 1/18/2018 at 5:29 PM, Jeff said:

I had a lovely visit with my car yesterday, but as soon as I started it this morning the engine light popped on.  I went in the house and came back with my scanner and it threw out a P0017 Cam/Crank correlation B1SB.  Per ProDemand this is usually caused by the timing being off one or more teeth.  Looks like I gave them too much credit.  So, they have it back and I'm back in a 12 Fusion for the time being, but this one is the 3.0 which is way more peppy than the last loaner I had.  Hoping it doesn't take another two weeks to get my car back.  I've been pondering on trading the fusion and I'm sort of keen on a 16 Charger RT in red that our local Chrysler dealer has out on the front line.  Hmmmm...

Jeff

Reading both of your posts Jeff I am quite surprised Ford had such a hard time getting the parts for an engine that they put in how many tens of thousands of cars every year. And then they can't put the timing belt back on correctly...sounds like a setup to me. I'd be pissed if it took 2 weeks to replace a water pump and then come to find out they messed up the job.

I really thought the 1.5/1.6 Ecoboost drove well and had plenty of power but I remember telling my ex-girlfriend when she bought that Fusion "That 1.6 is a nice engine but its complicated and will have problems and be expensive to repair if you keep it as long as your planning, I'd go with the old school simple 2.5 if you can find one it won't have any issues for as long as you own it". Hopefully she remembers I told her that when it comes time for some major repair, lol.

That 2.5L is a little trooper of an engine, you've driven it. Its nothing exciting but there is nothing to go wrong on it. My dads '10 Fusion has 125k on it and all he has done is oil changes, spark plugs, and a coolant flush/exchange.

I am not too happy, but I have to be courteous as they are one of my customers and I cannot get too sideways with them because of that.  The service writer admitted that they had never seen a bad water pump on one of these engines so mine was the first and that "they'd get started on it and see how it turned out" and that "the repair looked to be rather involved since you had to remove the timing chain".  I already knew all of that.  That's why I didn't repair it myself since it had a warranty.   I did call them Friday and he told me that they've went over everything and everything appears fine and they aren't sure what's wrong so they have called Ford for ideas and further clarification on a fix for this.  I personally think it's out of time, but they say all indications are that the timing is fine..  I dunno, but glad I'm not on the hook for the bill.  At least, I better not be considering it did not have an issue before other than a leaky pump and they messed with the timing bits during the repair.  Hopefully, I'll hear something soon.  I really just want my car back....then I'll decide if I want to keep it or not.

Jeff

On 1/19/2018 at 9:11 AM, Joel said:

im wanting to install a set of mechanical gauges on my 2003 Vulcan powered Taurus. i want to install a water temperature gauge and an oil pressure gauge. my question is where do i connect them on the engine ?

Not 100% sure where this would connect to, but look for any sensors near the thermostat for coolant, or any sensors that go into the water system, and then for oil probably around the oil filter. Would then just tap into those wires. I would check with the manufacturer for recommendations too. 

On 1/20/2018 at 9:14 PM, Jeff said:

I am not too happy, but I have to be courteous as they are one of my customers and I cannot get too sideways with them because of that.  The service writer admitted that they had never seen a bad water pump on one of these engines so mine was the first and that "they'd get started on it and see how it turned out" and that "the repair looked to be rather involved since you had to remove the timing chain".  I already knew all of that.  That's why I didn't repair it myself since it had a warranty.   I did call them Friday and he told me that they've went over everything and everything appears fine and they aren't sure what's wrong so they have called Ford for ideas and further clarification on a fix for this.  I personally think it's out of time, but they say all indications are that the timing is fine..  I dunno, but glad I'm not on the hook for the bill.  At least, I better not be considering it did not have an issue before other than a leaky pump and they messed with the timing bits during the repair.  Hopefully, I'll hear something soon.  I really just want my car back....then I'll decide if I want to keep it or not.

Jeff

I'd have to agree with you that if the computer on the car says its out of time, then its probably out of time, or some sensor is bad.

I just really don't understand how it can be so difficult to repair some of these engines. There are dozens of engines that require the timing belt to be removed to have the water pump replaced, it shouldn't be rocket science.

Call from the dealer today about the F150 confirmed my suspicions.

Took them most of the day to get it to act up but both IWEs have failed and need to be replaced, good thing those are covered under the CPO warranty.

I'm going to have a little chat with the dealer tomorrow about how and why this seems to happen so often (well documented issue with the F150) and if Ford has given any direction besides to just throw parts at it.

• Like 1

I haven't posted an update because I was diagnosed with pneumonia Tuesday and am just now feeling well enough to post.  I called Ford on Monday inquiring about my car and was told that they now know what's going on and that it's a very involved repair that they would not have time to do for a week or two(after having my car for now three weeks).  He told me he would like to give me my car back and that they would contact me when they were ready to repair it.  I pushed back and told them to just keep it until it's fixed and he said you don't understand I need my loaner car back so I can loan it to someone else and that it would not hurt it to drive it.  Not feeling well I agreed and they brought my car to me and picked up their loaner car.  So I've brought it home and it'll sit under my carport until they call me back or I call them.  I spent my money with them and they messed it up and I just feel this situation is outrageous.  I may call Ford or I may take it to another dealer to fix whatever it is that they did to it.

Jeff

Bought 1-26-18. '02 Lin Cont traded, it was getting down the road age wise.

From a hot rod Lin to old coot car, but I am 78 and it fits.

-chart-

Buick18.jpg

• Like 2

Those are great cars and are very reliable.  Still pretty peppy too for what they are.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:01 PM, Jeff said:

I haven't posted an update because I was diagnosed with pneumonia Tuesday and am just now feeling well enough to post.  I called Ford on Monday inquiring about my car and was told that they now know what's going on and that it's a very involved repair that they would not have time to do for a week or two(after having my car for now three weeks).  He told me he would like to give me my car back and that they would contact me when they were ready to repair it.  I pushed back and told them to just keep it until it's fixed and he said you don't understand I need my loaner car back so I can loan it to someone else and that it would not hurt it to drive it.  Not feeling well I agreed and they brought my car to me and picked up their loaner car.  So I've brought it home and it'll sit under my carport until they call me back or I call them.  I spent my money with them and they messed it up and I just feel this situation is outrageous.  I may call Ford or I may take it to another dealer to fix whatever it is that they did to it.

Jeff

They tell you whats wrong or just give you a bunch of BS? I just don't understand how these dealers can't repair problems on cars in a timely manner, its kinda crazy they fall that far behind in repairs and have to push work out 1 or 2 weeks.

I was satisfied with how Broadway Ford in Green Bay handled the F150, they called me late in the afternoon and told me that both the IWEs were bad and that they had already started to replace them and it should be ready some time tomorrow, followed by asking me if I need a loaner car for the next morning.

When I went to pick the truck up the next day it had been washed and was all ready to go. I just had to pay my $100 deductible.

I did talk to the service advisor and she told me that the IWE failure is fairly common on the F150 particular in the northern climates where it gets well below freezing and snow/ice can build up and hang on the back side of the hub and around the axle for extended periods of time. To me that basically means Ford uses a part that cannot withstand the elements and results in failure.

There's the driver side new IWE.

y1ucXNH.jpg

Edited by Thub

On 1/28/2018 at 9:03 AM, -chart- said:

Bought 1-26-18. '02 Lin Cont traded, it was getting down the road age wise.

From a hot rod Lin to old coot car, but I am 78 and it fits.

-chart-

Buick18.jpg

You went to a Buick? :o 

34 minutes ago, TaurusKev said:

You went to a Buick? :o 

Yep, fits my needs. Wife has had left shoulder replaced and cannot reach behind her to do a pas seat belt, and her right thumb joint has been fused so hard to use the other hand for the seat belt. Only thing that works is open center seating. (no console) hard to find a car that is like that. This works. 2011 with 59K miles, from rust free area, super clean. The 3.9 engine is a good step up from the 3.8 that I had driven a short run. The Lin at 16 years was getting age issues. Rear windows would not go down, climate system was funky, (hot/cold) and it got picky about gas, liked 93 octane and it surged with anything else. Rust was on the way, 6 1/2 winters in the rust belt. Wife was having trouble keeping her right foot off the pedal heavy keeping the TC going around tight bends.

Now having to read up on how things work. Lots of options. We are driving about 4K per year and keeping it in the garage. Should last as long as I will be driving. My Sables '03's now at 122K and 166K and doing fine.

The under hood access going from the Lin to the Buick, total opposite. Lin is hard on belts and it took me good 2 hours. The Buick will likely be 5-10 minutes. Example.

Getting old is a pain but it beats the other option.

-chart-

Edited by -chart-
  • Like 1

I don't blame you one bit. They are good cars and I feel you about not wanting to struggle to work on the car. 

58 minutes ago, TaurusKev said:

I don't blame you one bit. They are good cars and I feel you about not wanting to struggle to work on the car. 

PIc of belt access and Alt. DOHC Alt is a real pain. And the worst thing on my '03 Sedan was the ABS/TC module.

-chart-

BuickEngine.jpg

• Like 1