• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

4005 posts in this topic

Looks like someone ran it over its bent so bad, and those motorcraft filters are pretty sturdy.

I don't blame you Jeff, when I buy an oil filter I always inspect it in the box before I commit to buying it. If its got one dent from being dropped I put it back and move onto the next one.

This is why I think I will be the only one changing the oil on the F150. Its somewhat of a complex oil change with having to remove a huge splash shield, a rubber cover/plug, and opening up a little flap behind the bumper to reach the filter. There are way too many moving parts to that oil change and anyone who is in a rush (99% of guys doing oil changes) will cut corners.

The automakers/entire auto industry and their obscenely long oil change intervals is another topic of conversation. I reset to 50% oil life on the F150 every time.

I'm out of the SHO game. Probably for good this time. All the adventuring I've been doing lately was putting the car in jeopardy.

I took all of the recommendations into consideration, I really wanted body-on-frame part-time 4WD. I was leaning toward a Grand Cherokee for literally every reason. Tech, comfort, power, offroad capability. But couldn't overcome the Chrysler aspect of it (plastic, build quality, reliability). I was leaning toward an LR4, but wanted to look at an Outback with the flat-6. Didn't like it, my parents have 2 4-cyl ones. I was hoping it would be that with some balls. But it wasn't. So I was looking for LR4's and drove past a Toyota dealer. I figured that I knew I was going to hate the 4Runner as it was just a dumb, harsh, truck and would be loud and uncomfortable.

I went and looked at a Limited, as it had some of the features that I wanted but was missing the driver assistance part of it (adaptive cruise mainly). I agreed to take one out knowing full well that I would hate it. I got in it and was impressed with the quality, and then I took it out. I have never driven anything that felt so alive, so well put together, so shocking. It's quieter than the SHO at 70mph by 1.5db. The ride, while harsh over large pot holes, is smooth and controlled most of the time. It's quiet and civilized when you want it to me, and that 4.0 sings when you floor it.

So, I bought a 2014 with 62k miles. 4WD, Limited. And its already found its way off road and in 4lo

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

2 people like this

On 12/12/2017 at 10:01 PM, SHOenough said:

I'm out of the SHO game. Probably for good this time. All the adventuring I've been doing lately was putting the car in jeopardy.

I took all of the recommendations into consideration, I really wanted body-on-frame part-time 4WD. I was leaning toward a Grand Cherokee for literally every reason. Tech, comfort, power, offroad capability. But couldn't overcome the Chrysler aspect of it (plastic, build quality, reliability). I was leaning toward an LR4, but wanted to look at an Outback with the flat-6. Didn't like it, my parents have 2 4-cyl ones. I was hoping it would be that with some balls. But it wasn't. So I was looking for LR4's and drove past a Toyota dealer. I figured that I knew I was going to hate the 4Runner as it was just a dumb, harsh, truck and would be loud and uncomfortable.

I went and looked at a Limited, as it had some of the features that I wanted but was missing the driver assistance part of it (adaptive cruise mainly). I agreed to take one out knowing full well that I would hate it. I got in it and was impressed with the quality, and then I took it out. I have never driven anything that felt so alive, so well put together, so shocking. It's quieter than the SHO at 70mph by 1.5db. The ride, while harsh over large pot holes, is smooth and controlled most of the time. It's quiet and civilized when you want it to me, and that 4.0 sings when you floor it.

So, I bought a 2014 with 62k miles. 4WD, Limited. And its already found its way off road and in 4lo

Who told you to look at the 4Runners again ;). I havent been in one of the newer generation trucks but its a solid vehicle, its got the right amount of tech but also old school back bone with the 4.0L V6 and 5 speed trans. You'll have that for a long time.

There is pretty good aftermarket for the 4Runners too, first thing I would do if you plan to go off road is get a set of 17 or 18 inch rims with some meatier tires and sell the 20s.

And speaking of 4 Low, we had our first really good snow on Wednesday, I measured a solid 9 inches in our yard. I was reasonably impressed with the F150s performance in 4 wheel drive on the open roads, I had to turn traction control off though, it just messed things up and fought against me plus the damn ABS pump or whatever limits engine power under the hood makes so much noise. The truck is essentially useless in 2wd even with the rear diff locked and extra weight, but put it in 4 wheel drive and it pulls through anything.

So after getting onto some unplowed back roads with curves and hills I wanted to see what it could really do and dropped it in 4low with the rear differential locked. Wow is all I have to say, the Ecoboost is a pure beast in 4low, your going 15mph with the engine turning 2500rpm or so and if you even tap the throttle its just solid torque and your thrown back. I let the truck shift on its own but I was surprised it didn't hunt for gears, it looked like Ford actually programed the 6R80 to stay in a low gear and hold the revs high, the fastest I went was right around 20mph and it stayed in 3rd gear holding revs right around 2800rpm.

The little off road truck app changes too, the rear diff shows a big "X" for locked and the transfer case lights up purple instead of green, on top of 4 other warning/information lights that come on. Which may have been a bit over the top. 

I was also really happy I bought a truck with the 4x4 automatic mode, I have been running in that mode since Wednesday since a lot of roads are still slick with packed snow, its just that 2wd is so useless and when making a turn or trying to accelerate it just does nothing. Instead of having to shift in and out of 4 high and waiting for the front hubs to lock and unlock every time before taking off from a slick spot or on an incline its so much nicer to leave the whole drive line locked and let the clutch or whatever in the transfer case send power to where its needed.

Congrats on the 4Runner! Looks like an awesome truck! :) 

Please tell me the back window rolls down.