Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

Looks like someone ran it over its bent so bad, and those motorcraft filters are pretty sturdy.

I don't blame you Jeff, when I buy an oil filter I always inspect it in the box before I commit to buying it. If its got one dent from being dropped I put it back and move onto the next one.

This is why I think I will be the only one changing the oil on the F150. Its somewhat of a complex oil change with having to remove a huge splash shield, a rubber cover/plug, and opening up a little flap behind the bumper to reach the filter. There are way too many moving parts to that oil change and anyone who is in a rush (99% of guys doing oil changes) will cut corners.

The automakers/entire auto industry and their obscenely long oil change intervals is another topic of conversation. I reset to 50% oil life on the F150 every time.

I'm out of the SHO game. Probably for good this time. All the adventuring I've been doing lately was putting the car in jeopardy.

I took all of the recommendations into consideration, I really wanted body-on-frame part-time 4WD. I was leaning toward a Grand Cherokee for literally every reason. Tech, comfort, power, offroad capability. But couldn't overcome the Chrysler aspect of it (plastic, build quality, reliability). I was leaning toward an LR4, but wanted to look at an Outback with the flat-6. Didn't like it, my parents have 2 4-cyl ones. I was hoping it would be that with some balls. But it wasn't. So I was looking for LR4's and drove past a Toyota dealer. I figured that I knew I was going to hate the 4Runner as it was just a dumb, harsh, truck and would be loud and uncomfortable.

I went and looked at a Limited, as it had some of the features that I wanted but was missing the driver assistance part of it (adaptive cruise mainly). I agreed to take one out knowing full well that I would hate it. I got in it and was impressed with the quality, and then I took it out. I have never driven anything that felt so alive, so well put together, so shocking. It's quieter than the SHO at 70mph by 1.5db. The ride, while harsh over large pot holes, is smooth and controlled most of the time. It's quiet and civilized when you want it to me, and that 4.0 sings when you floor it.

So, I bought a 2014 with 62k miles. 4WD, Limited. And its already found its way off road and in 4lo

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/12/2017 at 10:01 PM, SHOenough said:

I'm out of the SHO game. Probably for good this time. All the adventuring I've been doing lately was putting the car in jeopardy.

I took all of the recommendations into consideration, I really wanted body-on-frame part-time 4WD. I was leaning toward a Grand Cherokee for literally every reason. Tech, comfort, power, offroad capability. But couldn't overcome the Chrysler aspect of it (plastic, build quality, reliability). I was leaning toward an LR4, but wanted to look at an Outback with the flat-6. Didn't like it, my parents have 2 4-cyl ones. I was hoping it would be that with some balls. But it wasn't. So I was looking for LR4's and drove past a Toyota dealer. I figured that I knew I was going to hate the 4Runner as it was just a dumb, harsh, truck and would be loud and uncomfortable.

I went and looked at a Limited, as it had some of the features that I wanted but was missing the driver assistance part of it (adaptive cruise mainly). I agreed to take one out knowing full well that I would hate it. I got in it and was impressed with the quality, and then I took it out. I have never driven anything that felt so alive, so well put together, so shocking. It's quieter than the SHO at 70mph by 1.5db. The ride, while harsh over large pot holes, is smooth and controlled most of the time. It's quiet and civilized when you want it to me, and that 4.0 sings when you floor it.

So, I bought a 2014 with 62k miles. 4WD, Limited. And its already found its way off road and in 4lo

Who told you to look at the 4Runners again ;). I havent been in one of the newer generation trucks but its a solid vehicle, its got the right amount of tech but also old school back bone with the 4.0L V6 and 5 speed trans. You'll have that for a long time.

There is pretty good aftermarket for the 4Runners too, first thing I would do if you plan to go off road is get a set of 17 or 18 inch rims with some meatier tires and sell the 20s.

And speaking of 4 Low, we had our first really good snow on Wednesday, I measured a solid 9 inches in our yard. I was reasonably impressed with the F150s performance in 4 wheel drive on the open roads, I had to turn traction control off though, it just messed things up and fought against me plus the damn ABS pump or whatever limits engine power under the hood makes so much noise. The truck is essentially useless in 2wd even with the rear diff locked and extra weight, but put it in 4 wheel drive and it pulls through anything.

So after getting onto some unplowed back roads with curves and hills I wanted to see what it could really do and dropped it in 4low with the rear differential locked. Wow is all I have to say, the Ecoboost is a pure beast in 4low, your going 15mph with the engine turning 2500rpm or so and if you even tap the throttle its just solid torque and your thrown back. I let the truck shift on its own but I was surprised it didn't hunt for gears, it looked like Ford actually programed the 6R80 to stay in a low gear and hold the revs high, the fastest I went was right around 20mph and it stayed in 3rd gear holding revs right around 2800rpm.

The little off road truck app changes too, the rear diff shows a big "X" for locked and the transfer case lights up purple instead of green, on top of 4 other warning/information lights that come on. Which may have been a bit over the top. 

I was also really happy I bought a truck with the 4x4 automatic mode, I have been running in that mode since Wednesday since a lot of roads are still slick with packed snow, its just that 2wd is so useless and when making a turn or trying to accelerate it just does nothing. Instead of having to shift in and out of 4 high and waiting for the front hubs to lock and unlock every time before taking off from a slick spot or on an incline its so much nicer to leave the whole drive line locked and let the clutch or whatever in the transfer case send power to where its needed.

• Like 1

Congrats on the 4Runner! Looks like an awesome truck! :) 

• Like 1

Please tell me the back window rolls down. 

20 hours ago, ShelbyRacer78 said:

But can it open like a door and open like a normal tailgate? #fordmagicdoorgate

’97 rolled into the body shop. Hopefully it be back before Christmas. 

• Like 3

On 12/15/2017 at 9:53 PM, Thub said:

Who told you to look at the 4Runners again ;). I havent been in one of the newer generation trucks but its a solid vehicle, its got the right amount of tech but also old school back bone with the 4.0L V6 and 5 speed trans. You'll have that for a long time.

There is pretty good aftermarket for the 4Runners too, first thing I would do if you plan to go off road is get a set of 17 or 18 inch rims with some meatier tires and sell the 20s.

I really thought I would hate it, but I was impressed with it. All the materials are high quality and there isn't a single squeak or rattle in the whole damned truck

On 12/16/2017 at 11:00 PM, TaurusKev said:

Congrats on the 4Runner! Looks like an awesome truck! :) 

Thanks! I love it so far, I think it'll pan out to be the ultimate road trip car.

On 12/17/2017 at 10:58 PM, ShelbyRacer78 said:

Absolutely! I didn't realize how awesome that was until this truck. It creates a wonderful breeze of fresh air in the cabin without blasting you with noise at any speed. Highway, backroads, you name it.

One small downside: if you get on it a bit, you can smell the exhaust. I may get it routed out of the side to stop that from happening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SHOenough said:

Absolutely! I didn't realize how awesome that was until this truck. It creates a wonderful breeze of fresh air in the cabin without blasting you with noise at any speed. Highway, backroads, you name it.

One small downside: if you get on it a bit, you can smell the exhaust. I may get it routed out of the side to stop that from happening.

I was a bit surprised they didn't do a side exit exhaust since you can drop the rear window on those. I think that's the reason most older station wagons had side exit exhaust to reduce the likelihood of exhaust getting back in the cabin. The only thing with you putting it out the side on that 4Runner is there's still the notch in the bumper. :( I figure that would be a little hard to cover up.

Anyway, the roll down rear window is so nice on anything that has one for the most part given how well it ventilates the cabin as you described.

• Like 2

Finally fixed my mother’s MKZ mirror properly. A few years ago I was backing out of the garage and smacked the garage door frame with the mirror. The mirrors on those are fixed and it destroyed the glass, which was heated and electrochromically dimming. At the time, replacement units were regularly $90+ used and the glass was about $30, but only available as heated. I still don’t think heated and electrochromic replacement glass is available. I was able to replace the glass, but the housing was never quite “secure” and felt loose, and the motor liked to click and bind when adjusting the mirror. 

Anyway, I decided to check eBay a week ago and found a seller who had one for $35 with free shipping. I haven’t had any luck in the junkyard, and most of the other sellers wanted $50+, so I bought that one ASAP. Swapped it in today, it moves flawlessly and the dimming function works well. Hopefully I’ll not need to swap it ever again. :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Finally fixed my mother’s MKZ mirror properly. A few years ago I was backing out of the garage and smacked the garage door frame with the mirror. The mirrors on those are fixed and it destroyed the glass, which was heated and electrochromically dimming. At the time, replacement units were regularly $90+ used and the glass was about $30, but only available as heated. I still don’t think heated and electrochromic replacement glass is available. I was able to replace the glass, but the housing was never quite “secure” and felt loose, and the motor liked to click and bind when adjusting the mirror. 

Anyway, I decided to check eBay a week ago and found a seller who had one for $35 with free shipping. I haven’t had any luck in the junkyard, and most of the other sellers wanted $50+, so I bought that one ASAP. Swapped it in today, it moves flawlessly and the dimming function works well. Hopefully I’ll not need to swap it ever again. :) 

Congrats on the fix. Had that on '96 Lin Cont and it got side swiped and wiped out the mirror. Insurance paid over $600 for the new one and painting tir-kote pearl. It did not work and they had a do over. Painting the mirror took about a week. Glad that is over. Glad someone else had to pay for that.

-chart-

Decided to cold start my fleet that had batteries.

Impressed how the Roadmaster doesn't give a damn about the weather. The S/C barely wanted to start, and the Vibe needed extra cranking time lol. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TaurusKev said:

Decided to cold start my fleet that had batteries.

Impressed how the Roadmaster doesn't give a damn about the weather. The S/C barely wanted to start, and the Vibe needed extra cranking time lol. 

The Sable popped three warning lights (ABS, fuel cap loose, and Parking Brake set) this morning while I was driving to work... guess the sensors that make them work didn’t like the 9 below Zero conditions. 

Granted, my ABS Light is on the Roadmaster, it is due to a bad sensor for the rear wheels, which is common on those. But none of the cars are throwing any errors yet. The Vibe just hates cold weather, which I remember on my wife's 05 Vibe, it did what it had to do, but it needed some extra warming up time. :P

• Like 1

My '03 DOHC wagon started in less than one full second. 3F so not really cold. Put it gear and drove away. Some things sound a very small whiney at first. Hatch creaks when cold. Drove 1.1 miles to a destination and the EATC decided go full blower. Barely enough heat to tell it was there. After my stop, it was normal blower speed, warmed up quickly.

-chart-

It's back!
w2imBv.jpg

Here's some "detail" shots from the garage just to show the color match. Obviously more can be seen during the day. When I picked it up, it was still in the building in a well lit bay, so I was able to do a very thorough look over. One thing I didn't catch before I left was a harness left disconnected (I wasn't thinking about using the turn signals in the building, because, why would I? :D ). Once I went to make a right turn onto the road I got hyper flashing. I quickly found out nothing was illuminating on that side other than the headlight.  

Thanks to the help here, it was just a little harness right behind the corner light. Someone probably just got sidetracked and it took all of five minutes to pop out the corner light, so NBD. rolleyes.gif
C10OlJ.jpg

FWIW, they did respray the inside of the fender along with doing the outside. It's a small touch that I really liked seeing.

Something to note is that this fender did come off of a 1993 Grand Marquis. 1992-1994 Aeros have fender mounted antennas, while '95-'97 (and essentially all the other years except '05s with their rear quarter panel ones) are in the glass. In my case, this left a hole, but surprisingly Ford did offer a antenna delete cap, most likely aimed at fleet Crown Victorias with a radio delete.

NPMnMY.jpg

Ford P/N F2AZ-18919-C. They're still out there if anyone ever needs one. I can't say I've ever seen a Panther with this delete cap, so I was surprised when I did find one had been offered.

They blended the door and fender together and re-pinstriped that area. It's rather hard to tell where the blend starts and ends.

vSmejh.jpg

6uZo61.jpg

They did not blend the hood, but I'd say they did a really good job with the color match to the rest of the body given age and fade. Under the right light angle I can tell where the fender has a slight difference than the hood, but for the most part many people won't catch it and quite frankly it doesn't bother me since it's damn close.

U62xNK.jpg

I'll try and get day light pictures later on. I'm just happy to have my car back since they've had it since last week and they were closed Christmas.

• Like 4

That looks beautiful!  I'm not too keen on the rubber plug....if have much rather put a dummy power antenna there personally even if it was just for show.  You keep that thing looking really nice.  Most of that generation are pretty ragged around the edges these days, or worse.

The Ecoboosts direct injection starts well in the cold weather, I had left the truck sitting outside all day at my dads which is out in open farm land so it was a solid -13 when I went to start, fired right up with just a slightly slower cranking, meanwhile my dads 2005 F150 wouldn't start and had to be put on the battery charger, 10 min later there was just enough juice to get the 5.4 to crank over and start. In sloppy noisy cam phaser 5.4L fashion of course.

As I figured the Ecoboost struggled to get up to operating temperature in city driving, I could have driven around for an hour in town and it would have never gotten to 190 degrees, just way too much radiator and that super cold air. Hitting the highway and letting the engine work got it up to where it normally runs right around 200 degrees. The transmission on the other hand, it never seems to get over 130 in this weather and from what I've read online the internal thermostat in the 6R80 doesn't open up until 170 degrees so the fluid isn't even looping though the cooler, it just stays that cool pumping internally. Probably smart thinking on Fords part using that internal thermostat, in conditions like this the transmission would never stand a chance warming up. I guess that's all a sign that they do design these vehicles to handle the extra heat that comes from towing 10,000lbs.

Then my sister called me today complaining about the cost to service her 2014 Mazda CX5, first oil change she has had to take care of and they pulled $90 from her for it. 5 quarts of Mazda branded 0W-20 full synthetic oil and an $11.00 oil filter. I told her she could change it herself and it would only cost $30 at most, there was a short pause before she said "you might have to show me how". I could see her doing it too, she's quite the independent young woman and has a pretty strong can-do attitude. Then she told me they wanted $300 to just replace rear rotors on that car and I was speechless. I know Mazda's have some issues with premature brake wear but holy crap then they want a fortune to replace them.

10 hours ago, Thub said:

Then she told me they wanted $300 to just replace rear rotors on that car and I was speechless. I know Mazda's have some issues with premature brake wear but holy crap then they want a fortune to replace them.

That sounds about right. I paid $350 on the SHO for machined rears and new pads after one of them blew up.

Activated fog light DRLs. The previous owner had put some super bright white LEDs in to match the HID headlights.

NF9zgbO.jpg

• Like 2

Found why one of the wagon's tires keeps losing air.

0X4du1.jpg

Either corrosion got it or some debris is in there. The problem just manifested itself within the last month, so I'll need to have it dismounted and get the edge cleaned.

I think my truck is doing that now too. Damn rims. 

1 hour ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Found why one of the wagon's tires keeps losing air.

0X4du1.jpg

Either corrosion got it or some debris is in there. The problem just manifested itself within the last month, so I'll need to have it dismounted and get the edge cleaned.

This was a bit of a pain. Got local young guy to replace the stem and clean the wheel. Balanced and holding fine. I used windex in a spray bottle to find the slow leak.

-chart-

WheelLeakS.jpg

I've held off on posting about this until I was given the official diagnosis from Ford, but I heard from them today and my Fusion has a bad water pump.   I had been getting whiffs of coolant for a few weeks, but never really found a source.  Well, Friday I get back from my lunch break and see a puddle running out from the front passenger side of my car.  I likely may have not seen it except for the fact that it was parked nose down on a hill.  I popped the hood and found coolant on the passenger frame rails with no obvious source.  The coolant bottle and hoses above were all pristine.  The engine also looked dry, but I couldn't get a good look from up top.  I was able to stick my hand behind the water pump pulley and pulled back coolant.  That was a pretty good indication, but I wanted an official diagnosis before posting.  So, my car is a 2014 and just shy of 50k miles.  Luckily my powertrain warranty is covering this repair or no telling how much it would cost since the timing cover and belt must be removed to replace it.   I convinced them to throw a new serpentine belt on for me for no labor cost while they have it apart since the engine mount must be removed to to replace it and they already have to remove all of that to replace the water pump.  Just the cost of a new belt which I supplied from work.  Theyve given me a 2012 Fusion as a loaner until I get it back.  Hoping I get it back Friday.  We'll see.

Ack! Good thing for warranties! At least you now get to have some fun in a loaner :D

Ive been putting it through it's paces since last Friday.  It's actually pretty nice for what it is.  A little basic option wise, but only has 73k miles.  Looks like it's been my local dealers loaner car since 2013 20k miles and was an Avis rental prior to that(per the plethora of paperwork in the glovebox.). Looks to have been impeccably maintained going over it.  Im actually thinking of recommending my sister inquire about it for my nephew.  I'm sure it could be for sale and they are looking for a good car.  This one is likely at ,or close to, the mileage where they may be looking to freshen up their fleet a bit.