• Announcements

• Sean T.

Having trouble logging in after the update?   04/25/16

After the forum update, you need to use your displayed name as your login. Your password should remain the same. If you are still having trouble, please e-mail Sean at [email protected] and he can reset your password.
    • Sean T.

Help Support TSOC by Making a Donation!   01/29/17

TSOC is funded by donations only. The operating expenses for TSOC are about $320 annually for hosting, domains, and IP Board license renewals. Support from our members is greatly appreciated! As always, we are grateful for ANY and ALL donations! From $1.00 to $100.00, anything you give will support the forums and community experience. At any time, you are free to make a standard donation towards our operating expenses. Surplus funds will stay with the forum for next year, so even if it appears we have enough cash on hand, we're always in need of donations! When you make a donation towards our operating expenses, your membership will automatically upgrade based on your donation amount. (Please see the link below for more info)     Click HERE to learn more about our membership levels!  
    • Sean T.

!!! *** Known Issue for New Member Sign-Up *** !!!   04/20/17

It has been brought to our attention that new members are unable to sign up. Producing an error code EX1364. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. In the mean time, if you encounter this error, please send a message using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, and we will contact you when it has been resolved.
Scuba9898

What Have You Done To Your Other Vehicle Lately?

3980 posts in this topic

That's a pretty cool feature to add to the battleship USS Colony Park. :P 

KYB Monomax on the four corners of my Explorer (AWD V8).

Monomax_front.png
Monomax_rear.png

Adjusted the clutch cable on the Suzi so that the clutch disengages/engages closer to the floor. So much easier to start it rolling now, especially on hills. Still makes a horrible metal grinding noise while coasting in gear though.

A small oil leak has started up front. The timing cover looks to have blown out right below the crank and that is where the oil is coming form. I hope it's not the front main seal. Probably started because of me redlining it pulling out on the highway. 97 horsepower sucks ass. I probably won't do anything about it. Hoping to sell or trade soon.

Dropped the F150 off at the dealer to hopefully get a new rear window and door latches adjusted under my CPO warranty. I tried to use the rear defrost and heated mirrors the other day when everything was all covered with dew in the early morning hours and nothing worked. A quick search found that a lot of 2013s got rear power sliding windows with bad contacts for the defroster element. The door latches seem to have a common "double pull" issue that is intermittent. 

Of course I then walked around the lot a bit and there were a few new 2018 F150s there, I quickly made my exit after admiring a white FX4 with the black accents.

1 person likes this

So, some of y'all may know that I purchased a 78 Chevy C10 SWB Custom Deluxe several months ago.  Well, it was delivered Friday finally.  The truck runs and drives, but has absolutely no brakes.  Further investigation revealed a truck as tired underneath as it was cosmetically which I expected.  I did the brakes and bearings( short of plumbing them in) on Saturday with all new parts, but the state of the chassis and suspension parts gave me pause so I ripped it back apart today and started over.  All the control arms will be rebuilt and new everything for the front end too.  I purchased everything just about on RA at a substantial savings on closeout items.   So, while the truck may look terrible right now, it should drive as new.  This is where I'm at right now...  Still a long ways to go and then rinse and repeat on the other side.  The truck is pretty complete minus a dash and some severely hacked wiring that I'll need to sort out.  Overall, for an impulse purchase...I'm relatively happy with it.

Jeff

IMG_20170918_203741546.jpg

IMG_20170916_190353456.jpg

3275.jpeg

3287.jpeg

3273.jpeg

2 people like this

So... I have to commute about an hour to my university, and the Endeavor has no A/C. I can't be mad as I spent $100 on it.

So, I am driving the Butanic, pure perfection :wub:

yfsMobO.jpg

Won't suffer in here

gVHChzh.jpg

Even with the large footprint, I can still park within the lines. Yet people with smaller cars suffer to do this....

ERMXSni.jpg

People were a bit shocked when I passed them up in that as I hate being in the on-coming traffic lane, so my natural reaction is to press the throttle wide open, and that LT1 flies. It's amazing. Sad part is, with me being in school, repairs are going to be very minimal, so it's gonna look like a turd for quite some time :(

3 people like this

21 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

So... I have to commute about an hour to my university, and the Endeavor has no A/C. I can't be mad as I spent $100 on it.

So, I am driving the Butanic, pure perfection :wub:

yfsMobO.jpg

Won't suffer in here

gVHChzh.jpg

Even with the large footprint, I can still park within the lines. Yet people with smaller cars suffer to do this....

ERMXSni.jpg

People were a bit shocked when I passed them up in that as I hate being in the on-coming traffic lane, so my natural reaction is to press the throttle wide open, and that LT1 flies. It's amazing. Sad part is, with me being in school, repairs are going to be very minimal, so it's gonna look like a turd for quite some time :(

That thing has a Corvette engine in it!?

I got the entire front suspension and steering rebuilt on the truck.  New inner and outer tie rods and sleeves, new pitman and idler arms, new LMC truck reproduction lower control arms(only ones available anymore), one new upper control arm that I couldn't pass up for 14.00, and one rebuilt upper control arm using new bushings and ball joint.  I also installed the rear shocks as well.  I just thought I'd get away cheaper by rebuilding all the control arms, but unfortunately the lowers were both bent and couldn't be rebuilt.  All in all, I'm about 465.00 in parts rebuilding the front end.  I did the labor myself so not too bad to have a 100% new front end.  I received my new proportioning valve in the mail yesterday.  I'm going to start running the new lines tomorrow and then rebuild my rear brakes on the weekend.  I should have it stopping sometime early next week.    I also swapped those 10" wide wheels and drag tires for more appropriate rally wheels with decent roller tires.  Here's how it's sitting now.  Nice and proper.  I'll update more as I go.  Still need to rewire the truck, pull the rear axles, install bearings and rear seals, and service the diff, and finally install the dash(I found a complete unit about 2 hours away for $100 and I pick that up next Saturday) before it's really road worthy or really worthy of being road tested.

Jeff

3625.jpeg

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Angrod said:

That thing has a Corvette engine in it!?

All B body cars from 94-end of production used the LT1, slightly modified from the corvette and Impala SS version. I think the 92-93 MYs used the L05 truck engine.

The LT1 had a few variants, some with aluminum heads, some with iron heads. I believe the B body cars all had the Iron heads.

Yep, the 94-96 GM B Body cars have an LT1 in it, and mmmm, the power it possesses always impresses me. I have to remind myself the vehicle weighs about 5000 Lbs, and it flies like it weighs nothing. I honestly think it's faster than my 95 T-Bird (Which, the LT1 pushes out 260 HP Stock, and the T-Bird is 200 HP with it's 4.6L) figured the weight differences would help, but the LT1 doesn't seem to care. 

This is the first time I've truly taken it out after ironing out remaining issues since taking it to IL, and damn am I in love. Also in love with bench seating as it's comfortable to chill in the front, stretch out, and do homework between classes lol

6 hours ago, TaurusKev said:

Yep, the 94-96 GM B Body cars have an LT1 in it, and mmmm, the power it possesses always impresses me. I have to remind myself the vehicle weighs about 5000 Lbs, and it flies like it weighs nothing. I honestly think it's faster than my 95 T-Bird (Which, the LT1 pushes out 260 HP Stock, and the T-Bird is 200 HP with it's 4.6L) figured the weight differences would help, but the LT1 doesn't seem to care. 

This is the first time I've truly taken it out after ironing out remaining issues since taking it to IL, and damn am I in love. Also in love with bench seating as it's comfortable to chill in the front, stretch out, and do homework between classes lol

Your T-Bird also weighs over 4000 lbs and has a rear end gear that’s good for fuel economy, but not so much for acceleration. The Super Coupe would be a better comparison for performance. IIRC the Roadmaster was able to accelerate about the same as my GT when we drove them back from SC in March. 

12 hours ago, Brian_05_SEL said:

Your T-Bird also weighs over 4000 lbs and has a rear end gear that’s good for fuel economy, but not so much for acceleration. The Super Coupe would be a better comparison for performance. IIRC the Roadmaster was able to accelerate about the same as my GT when we drove them back from SC in March. 

With the correct rear end gearing the LT1 will pull very well, even in those heavy cars. The Impala SS would go 0-60 in ~7 seconds. Pretty fast for a car like that in 1994, today...not so much. I think my F150 runs 0-60 in under 7 seconds which isn't bad for a 6000lb 4x4 brick.

Thanks to Ford and their CPO warranty the F150 has a new rear window. Normal customer cost = $1300, my cost $100 deductible on the CPO warranty. So now I have working rear defrost and heated mirrors.

3 people like this

On 9/25/2017 at 8:55 PM, TaurusKev said:

ERMXSni.jpg

Big wagons are so easy to park. Sounds silly, but I had to parallel park the Colony Park while in Wilmington, NC. You always know where the front and back are. I could drop it in where I pleased and toss a quarter in the meter. We were eating lunch and watching a couple spotting each other parking a Civic.

On the flip side, I wish the CP had the passing ability of the later 4.6 cars. You plan every pass you need, drop it in Drive so you don't wait for the kick down, get a clear stretch and floor it. The TV pressure is set high enough if I get into it at 50-55, I'll get a drop from 3 to 2 and it'll hold it to almost 70 MPH. I need all the gear I can get, and nothing beats the look on people's faces as a tired looking brick goes roaring by.

20 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Big wagons are so easy to park. Sounds silly, but I had to parallel park the Colony Park while in Wilmington, NC. You always know where the front and back are. I could drop it in where I pleased and toss a quarter in the meter. We were eating lunch and watching a couple spotting each other parking a Civic.

On the flip side, I wish the CP had the passing ability of the later 4.6 cars. You plan every pass you need, drop it in Drive so you don't wait for the kick down, get a clear stretch and floor it. The TV pressure is set high enough if I get into it at 50-55, I'll get a drop from 3 to 2 and it'll hold it to almost 70 MPH. I need all the gear I can get, and nothing beats the look on people's faces as a tired looking brick goes roaring by.

It is really amazing how people lack the confidence or are just poor drivers. Parking a car you drive every day should be easy. I was a little uneasy the first week or so but after enough time in the truck I gained a feel for its dimensions on the road and where and how it can be maneuvered. I wouldn't want to take it into a big city and try to park it but I have no issues anywhere around Green Bay.

I will admit I had to set up the good old tennis ball hanging from a string in the garage though. I need to stop at the exact right spot for the door into the house to still open all the way and be able to close the garage door without hitting the bumper of the truck. Its tight enough that I can't leave a hitch in the truck or the garage door would slam into it or I would have to squeeze myself between the front of the truck and the door into the house, and I'm about as thin of a person as you can be. Height wise its close too, every entry and departure from the garage is accompanied by a nice loud metallic clang as the antenna hits the lowest part of the garage door.  Needless to say when I buy a house I'm going to try and find one with a longer garage and 8' high doors.

1 person likes this

I point out that it's easy to park, because generally assholes who have smaller cars, can't seem to park them.

5sOp4xy.jpg

I am not sure why it's hard to pull into a spot. Especially with stalls that are at 45° Angles. Now if a stall is at a 90° Angle, it's easier for me to back into it than to pull into it.

Half tempted to print out those coloring sheets to encourage 3 year old kids to stay within the lines, so maybe it might help them park and put it on their windshield. However, I found out that Parking Services will ticket anyone parked like this. So I don't want to leave any notes to minimize my involvement with anything.

21 hours ago, Kodachrome Wolf said:

Oh I love the looks I get when I pass people. People also assume it's a slow tank, so I notice people will always go into a lane next to me. Only to see that I can haul ass. Since the road I normally commute on is a 1 lane road with passing in the oncoming lane. I have to pass quite often, and the scary part is the wagon will take off like a bat out of hell when I give it moderate gas, and I think people can't believe they got passed up by a rotten looking wagon due to the neglected woodgrain.

Also, with the way I drive, I got a modest 19 Mpg with 80% of my drive maintaining about 60/65 with stops here and there. So 1 Mpg better than the Endeavor :lol:

1 person likes this

The worst parking jobs I see are where I work. I guess the drivers are so used to a 40' bus that they can't manage a normal size car. ( though in consideration of what we spend in body shop repairs for driver caused accidents, some can't manage a bus either . My favorites are the ones who take up 4 spaces - so their Escalade tank doesn't get hit. These are the same one who complain about not enough parking and being underpaid. 

Now when I see a car taking up multiple spaces, and I can squeeze into their spot with my Mitsubishi, I do! I don't even care if I make it so they can't get out. When it is a nice car, I make sure to try and squeeze next to them on purpose. Even if there are 5000 other spots.

Sadly, with the Buick I refuse to take that risk. And with the T-Birds, I just park far away, but still in 1 spot because I am not an asshole.

I got my hands on a pair of used fork lift tires for the F150 to use as ballast weight this winter. They weigh over 100lbs each.

They stick to the lineX like glue and don't slide around and for the weight they don't take up much room, plus I can roll them around and stack them when in storage.

3 people like this

I've disassembled some more stuff on the truck.  I've also got most of my hard lines ran for my brakes.  The front cap needed to come off anyway since it was rusty.  It also helped facilitate finishing the brake lines without having to kill myself doing it in cramped quarters under the truck.  I also purchased a donor cab that was super rusty.  It's from an 85 Silverado, but was complete minus seat...so it will donate the dash, complete wiring harness, auto column with tilt, all interior trim, power window and lock parts, and AC parts to retrofit some amenities into my heater only base model custom deluxe. Doors are the same internally from 78 up so everything in the rusty doors should swap to my doors relatively easy just gotta drill the holes for the wiring to pass through..  Also, before I put new sheet metal on, a good running donor 350 engine and auto trans out of a 84 GMC Vandura will be bolted in the place of that mighty 250 I6 which actually runs really well...so I'm a tad conflicted on that, but really want that V8 sound.

IMG_20171001_191630300.jpg

1 person likes this

LS Swap it :D

1 person likes this

The 350 drivetrain I'm putting in was free.  My dad bought this van 8 years ago and it runs and drives great and is super nice, but he never could get the title to it and refused to spend the fees associated with a bonded title.  After I take what I want it's going to the crusher.    This thing has the dining table, seat that folds into a bed, TV, window shades, the works.   Shame to see it go, but it's time to move on and part of it will live on in my truck.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Jeff said:

The 350 drivetrain I'm putting in was free.  My dad bought this van 8 years ago and it runs and drives great and is super nice, but he never could get the title to it and refused to spend the fees associated with a bonded title.  After I take what I want it's going to the crusher.    This thing has the dining table, seat that folds into a bed, TV, window shades, the works.   Shame to see it go, but it's time to move on and part of it will live on in my truck.

Honestly Jeff a truck like that is a great candidate for a big 454 or a 5.9L Cummins. Reg cab short box RWD tire roasting machine.

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, Jeff said:

Free is the best. Shame that is will be going to a crusher for the van though.

Weight savings, yo.

9a67hi.jpg

oROvlH.jpg

If you don't know what that was, it was a completely useless smog pump with Thermactor valves. There's no cats on the wagon, so there's no air lines, and nothing for the pump to do, if the pump was actually functional. :D Nick gutted it some time ago so it was more so a really big idler pulley. I just wanted the hoses in the way gone. They make it more difficult to get at the spark plugs and the pump itself gets in the way of the manual belt tensioner. It's a lot easier getting at the bolts to tighten them on that tensioner now.

2 people like this